PDA

View Full Version : I miss the Fey Bloodline

Mr.Spastic
2018-12-11, 01:29 AM
So this pulls a bit from Pathfinder but in the core rules there was a sorcerer bloodline where your powers came from the Fey. I really like this idea and would like to port it into 5e. The easiest way I could come up with was just tweaking the Divine Soul ability but with Druid spells instead of cleric spells. My question is what should their other abilities be? I know they should eventually get wings at level 14(I think). But what else seems appropriate to give somebody with fey magic?

Arkhios
2018-12-11, 01:42 AM
So this pulls a bit from Pathfinder but in the core rules there was a sorcerer bloodline where your powers came from the Fey. I really like this idea and would like to port it into 5e. The easiest way I could come up with was just tweaking the Divine Soul ability but with Druid spells instead of cleric spells. My question is what should their other abilities be? I know they should eventually get wings at level 14(I think). But what else seems appropriate to give somebody with fey magic?

Honestly, you can get a lot of the same feeling with Warlock of the Archfey Patron, but I do understand why someone might not want to go there. Since this technically goes into homebrewing territory, you might as well borrow some of the Archfey Patron features for a sorcerous origin.

Mr.Spastic
2018-12-11, 01:46 AM
Honestly, you can get a lot of the same feeling with Warlock of the Archfey Patron, but I do understand why someone might not want to go there. Since this technically goes into homebrewing territory, you might as well borrow some of the Archfey Patron features for a sorcerous origin.

Yeah, but I want to play a real spellcaster. Not somebody who casts Eldritch Blast all of the time and occasionally other things.

Particle_Man
2018-12-11, 01:54 AM
What if you go warlock dip and then sorcerer wild mage? That seems fairly thematic.

Or just pure wild mage with fey fluff? Eladrin race to top it off?

Arkhios
2018-12-11, 02:15 AM
Yeah, but I want to play a real spellcaster. Not somebody who casts Eldritch Blast all of the time and occasionally other things.

To be frank, no one said you had to use Eldritch Blast all the time. Or even select it at all. :smallamused:

Malifice
2018-12-11, 02:21 AM

Cant you just fluff an existing bloodline the same?

My mate was a Demonic bloodline. He just refluffed Draconic (fire) and swapped Draconic language for Abyssal and was golden.

Prince Vine
2018-12-11, 07:14 AM
I am currently working on a fey/celestial/fiend bloodline. So far it gets a level 1 charm/frighten effect (like the warlock) and will get wings eventually. I am probably going to add some type of magic resistance or other defensive ability of some sort for the remaining ability once I flip through the MM for inspiration.

Spiritchaser
2018-12-11, 07:46 AM
A long while ago, I asked the same question here and got the following answers, which may be of use

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?498179-fae-blooded-sorcerer-origin&highlight=Sorcerer

Ninja Prawn and Axorfett both wrote down some ideas, which I partly used.

Ninja_Prawn
2018-12-11, 01:06 PM
A long while ago, I asked the same question here and got the following answers, which may be of use

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?498179-fae-blooded-sorcerer-origin&highlight=Sorcerer

Ninja Prawn and Axorfett both wrote down some ideas, which I partly used.

I did what with the who now?

Oh. Actually that stands up pretty well two years on. Kind of bland maybe, but with a few nice touches.

I've since written another fey sorcerer, the Dark Wild Mage, in here (https://www.patreon.com/posts/fey-folio-17893628). It's based pretty heavily on wild magic, but with a fun new table to roll on.

NaughtyTiger
2018-12-11, 02:15 PM
Yeah, but I want to play a real spellcaster.

*Mic staff drop*

I've since written another fey sorcerer, the Dark Wild Mage, in here (https://www.patreon.com/posts/fey-folio-17893628). It's based pretty heavily on wild magic, but with a fun new table to roll on. behind a pay wall, really?

Laird
2018-12-11, 02:18 PM
Here is what I would do, also being a fan of Fey and (Eladrin specifically, I love the courts, feel free to change what options you have though.)

Fey Magic
You are a creature of the fey, for your innate magic comes from the Feywild itself. You
might trace your lineage to an entity or a court from that place. Choose an entity from UA (Summer Prince, Nightmother etc. or a court). The Court of Spring, Summer, Autumn or Winter. These determine the abilities you get and your physical characteristics.
Fey Sorcerer Quirks

d6 Quirk
1 You are always icy cold (exceptionally warm) to the touch.
2 When you walk past someone briskly they smell fresh buds and dew (lack of smell, chill wind).
3 You have pale skin and slightly blue lips.
4 You sometimes hear chirping birds and closed flowers spontaneously unfurl when you are near.
5 You smell of firewood and cinnamon, with freckles that seem to change across your face and brown or red hair that shifts unaturally.
6 You have a temper and you have dark green eyes and brilliant, shining hair(no glow effects).

Fey Sorceror Features
1st Beguiling Eyes, Freedom of the Fey
6th Hound of Ill Omen
14th Feyborn Wings
18th Avatar of the Courts

Beguiling Eyes
Starting at 1st level, you know the friends cantrip, you may cast it without material components or gestures,
the creature you cast on must be able to see your eyes, if the spell fails or the creature succeeds on its check
to escape they are unaware you cast a spell.

When you reach 3rd level in this class, you learn the misty step spell, which doesn’t count against
your number of sorcerer spells known. In addition, you can cast it by spending 2 sorcery points
or by expending a spell slot. If you cast it with sorcery points you must have eye contact with the
target attacking you, you also have a small radius effect as shown for the Eladrin in Mordenkainen's
Tome of Foes.

Freedom of the Fey
Starting at 1st level, your existence between the material and fey plane makes you elusive.
If you would be hit by an attack, you may use your reaction to make a Charisma check vs
the creatures Wisdom(Insight) + 8. On a success you may teleport 10 feet away and become invisible
until the start of your next turn.
Save or fail, you can’t use this feature again until you finish a long rest.

Courtly Poise
At 6th level, you gain resistance to damage depending on the Court you chose:

Court of Summer: Fire and Psychic
Court of Spring: Lightning and Psychic
Court of Winter: Cold and Psychic
Court of Autumn: Necrotic and Psychic

In addition you have advantage on saving throws to resist magic and magical effects.

Feyborn Wings
As a bonus action you may materialize your feygifted wings. They take on aspects of the court
you chose and confer a flying speed of 30 feet, while not wearing armor. The wings are firey and red
eagle wings for Summer, Insect or pixie like for Spring, Pure white and swanlike for Winter and
Brown and spottled for autumn (with yellows, reds and oranged mixed in)

Starting at 18th level, you can spend 6 sorcery points as a bonus action to magically transform
yourself into a feywilds form. In this form, you have resistance to all magical damage, and charm
effects. This form can cast several spells at will as an action, depending on your Chosen court.
Without consuming a spell slot.

All: Illusory Dragon, Prismatic Wall (If these are cast it ends the form and user suffers exhaustion after combat)
Court of Summer: Wall of Fire(5th), Dream, Conjure Elemental (Fire)
Court of Spring: Insect Plague, Haste, Conjure Elemental (Air)
Court of Winter: Cone of Cold, Phantasmal Killer, Conjure Elemental (Water)
Court of Autumn: Blight(5th Level), Wall of Stone, Conjure Elemental (Earth)

You remain in this form for 1 minute. It ends early if you are incapacitated, if you die, or if you
dismiss it as a bonus action. When the form ends you lose concentration on any spells cast while
in the form.

Feel free to change the power of the 18th feature, its mostly to give an extra 8 or 9th spell or a specialized form that can aid or cast without too much resource usage. It may be better to rework that and just give the Fey Sorc an expanded list but we all know how that works...Obviously it hasn't been playtested and is purely homebrewed, hopefully it gives some more ideas too!