PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Which Sorcerous Origin/Spells are Best for Me?

SleepIncarnate
2018-12-11, 02:47 AM
Alright, two related situations here with my current game, felt like getting some input from others.

First bit, as stated here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?574698-When-is-the-ideal-time-for-a-bard-to-take-a-1-3-level-dip-out-to-multiclass), I've decided to take a one level dip into divine soul sorcerer when I hit level 6 (which should be after our next session). As such, in the two weeks before our first session at level 6, I'd like some advice on which spells to pick.

The second bit is something that came up at the end of our most recent session and will come up at the start of our next session. We're helping out a druid by clearing out a nest of what are basically giant dragonflies which are destroying the local ecosystem. He's offered to create two spell scrolls for us, from 1st and 2nd level druid spells.

This is a big deal because my homebrew college (which can be found here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?574408-(Homebrew)-Bard-s-College-of-Linguistics)) has the level 6 ability basically be additional magical secrets from the lore bard's level 6, but on steroids. As such, I'd like the two scrolls to be good spells I can later scribe on my body as spellbook to make them bard spells for me.

My current cantrips are thaumaturgy (racial from tiefling), prestidigitation, vicious mockery, and minor illusion. My spells are:
Detect Magic
Identify (ritual caster feat, ritual book)
Find Familiar (ritual book)
Disguise Self (1/day, dispater tiefling racial)
Dissonant Whispers
Find Familiar
Suggestion
Hypnotic Pattern
Leomund's Tiny Hut
Detect Thoughts (racial 1/day)
Healing Word
Phantasmal Force

From sorcerer, my DM has confirmed that the power granting me these abilities is good, so my bonus spell would be Cure Wounds. I know two of the cantrips will be fire bolt (I'm often the one called upon to set stuff on fire with prestidigitation, added range would be great) and guidance. I'm considering feather fall and bless as the two level one spells and the other two cantrips to be friends, mending, and/or message (with whichever of the three I don't grab there being my level 10 bard cantrip). If anyone has some better suggestions though, I'm certainly open to them.

As for the druid spells, the two most catching my eye right now are Pass Without Trace and Flaming Sphere. Checking with the party ranger to see if he grabbed PWT as his level 2 spell. Another option is healing spirit, but I just don't think it's as amazing as people make it out to be. Open to suggestions here.

For reference, my party consists of me, a half-orc totem barbarian (tank/melee attacker), wood elf monster slayer ranger (who will be MCing to rogue starting at 6 and continuing the rest of the way from there as an arcane trickster) who serves as our ranged attacker and sometimes scout/rogue replacement, and a silver dragonborn divine sorcerer (also good aligned) who is backup healer and blaster.

I hold several hats as the bard: main healer, battlefield controller, face, rogue replacement (until the ranger/rogue comes online), utility caster, and more. So looking to see if anyone has some better suggestions to help me fill all my roles.

EDIT: Already got the two druid spell scrolls. They ended up being PWT and FS.

SleepIncarnate
2018-12-18, 04:53 AM
Ok, so we just hit level 6 with our session earlier. However, we also picked up a total of 6 scrolls during the session which I can later use with my college feature to add to my body spell book. The big one is Shield, a spell I was considering from the sorcerer list as one of my two to pick up. The others are Shatter, Invisibility, Knock (the least interesting one), Pass Without Trace, and Flaming Sphere.

As such, it's time to crack down on deciding which spells to get from my one divine soul sorcerer level. I know feather fall will be one of them, and I know fire bolt will be one of the cantrips (and probably guidance as well), but because I now have PWT, Bless is less appealing (as a group stealth situation is the time I'd be most likely to cast it on folks).

Any other suggestions of what to take, or can someone sell me on a reason to still take Bless while also getting PWT?

I have started considering Booming Blade as one of the cantrips because it's just so powerful when combined with Dissonant Whispers and War Caster. And our most recent session has shown that our DM will have enemies that will specifically target the foes furthest from them and do more damage that way, so if I'm going to be forced into melee range with my +1 rapier, I'm going to want to be able to make use of it.

EDIT: Just remembered, our existing sorcerer already has Bless as he's also a Divine Soul sorcerer. I have considered swapping from DS Sorcerer to Storm Sorcerer, because the flight thing is pretty useful for mobility. So, for a single level dip, considering we already have a Divine Soul Sorcerer, which origin do you all think would be better for me to take? Along with which spells.