PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Some fun concepts to add to a modern campaign

Bannan_mantis
2018-12-11, 07:31 AM
In about a few weeks I'm going to be dm'ing and modern style dnd setting with it being about magic being brought back to a world where for centuries it had been dead and forgotten, only remembered in fiction and what not with the players being people who were naturally able to control magic in certain ways. I've got a while before I need to run this and decided to think of fun elements and things you could see in a modern campaign which you wouldn't see normally and would like to hear from other people about this. This can be anything from a entire unique encounter, special event, unique enemy and more. If anyone has some fun things which you can add to campaign settings like this then please say.

carrdrivesyou
2018-12-11, 12:28 PM
I have a few thoughts actually. :D

1. Wild magic or magic surges. The PCs are the only ones naturally able to control magic yea? Just because they CAN control it doesn't mean they know how. Every so often, roll a wild magic (like the sorcerer) percentile. See what happens.

2. On a more controllable note, give magic a corrupting influence. Make people take personality traits based on what magic they use. It's an overused trope, but it adds flavor to the game world and characters.

3. Have magical "fonts" that can enhance or dampen different magical schools. Make some more powerful, and others less potent.

4. Maybe it happens in the fashion of the Bright film with Will Smith. Maybe magic is illegal. Maybe its taboo. Who knows?

5. Maybe that magic comes with strings attached in the same vein as warlocks. Maybe the patron can teach them to control it for a price?

Hope these help.
-Carr