PDA

View Full Version : Build advice

schreier
2018-12-11, 10:17 AM
We're playing in a campaign based around the Sea of Fallen Stars, and I am playing a Darfellan. Because I think it is cool, I am focusing on the Sharktooth Gauntlets (exotic weapon from Dragon Magazine from Dragon 315 -- basically spiked gauntlets with 18-20 crit and p/s damage) and wearing Sharkskin armor (from Stormwrack).

I took the Wild Template from Dragon 306. It adds a skill point, changes the favored class to Ranger, and adds some strength (at the cost of Int and Cha).

I have added Orc Blooded as a feat because it fits his background, I think it's cool, it adds darkvision (useful for a deep swim), and adds Barbarian as a second favored class which works well taking Barb 1 for pounce.

From that base - I first tried a simple swift hunter ... ranger 13 (aquatic ranger for track, arcane hunter, skilled city dweller for tumble, solitary hunting, spiritual connection because abyssal charisma) / scout 4 (gets alertness for stalker) / Barbarian (city brawler, hunter for favored enemy, lion totem for pounce) / stalker of kharash ... Gets the max 5d6 skirmish with favored enemy undead, construct, plant, evil, elemental)

It felt pretty boring, and I wanted to integrate some ToB abilities ... so here is my current build (36 pt buy):

(NOTE - level 3 I am trying to feel out based on the DM ... how hard it will be to get custom enchanted sharktooth gauntlets with Keen for example (in addition to other useful powers -- enfeebling and wrathful healing would be ideal I think)

STR 20 (16 + 2 Race + 2 Wild)
DEX 14 (16 - 2 Race)
CON 14
INT 12 (14 - 2 Wild)
WIS 12
CHA 6 (8 - 2 Wild)

Level
Class
Feats
Notes

Scout
Orc Blooded, Favored of the Companions, Alertness
Flaws - Chivalrous Courtesy, Lover of Nature

Fighter (Kensai)
Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Sharktooth Gauntlet)

Fighter (Kensai)
Improved Initiative OR Ancestral Relic OR Improved Critical
Rain of Blows instead of Feat

Barbarian (Wolf Totem)
Improved Unarmed Strike
ACF - City Brawler, Hunter, Spiritual Totem (Lion). Favored Enemy (Undead)

Ranger
Track
ACF - Aquatic Ranger, Arcane Hunter, Champion of the Wild, Skilled City Dweller (Tumble for Ride), Solitary Hunting, Spiritual Connection

Ranger
Martial Study - Disarming Strike
Combat Style - Two Weapon Fighting

Ranger
Endurance

Ranger
Two Weapon Defense

Swordsage
Adaptive Style
"Manuevers (Claw At the Moon, Cloak of Deception, Flashing Sun, Mountain Hammer, Shadow Jaunt, Sudden Leap)
Stances (Hunter's Sense)"

Scout

Scout

Swordsage
Swift Hunter
Manuevers (Searing Charge) Stances (Dance of the Spider) Favored Enemy (Construct)

Stalker of Kharash

Stalker of Kharash

Ranger
Nemesis (Evil)

Ranger

Improved Combat Style - Improved Two Weapon Fighting

Dragon Devotee

Dragon Devotee
Martial Study - Iron Heart Surge
+1d6 Skirmish

Dragon Devotee

Dragon Devotee

+1d6 Skirmish

I know there are a few levels that I will be "out of favored class" and take an xp penalty, but I think it is worth it to get the swordsage levels at the right points for the good manuevers.

Even though generally people recommend against "Champion of the Wild" - saying that the spellcasting is better, getting 1-2 level 1 spells seems useless at the levels they come online in this build. While Two Weapon Defense is meh, it's free ... I could instead take the +10' move from the spellless ranger, but that seems worse since it conflicts with items. I do lose the ability to use spell completion items, but I do not see that much value there (I could be shortsighted though)

Thoughts? Any major mistakes or missed opportunities?

Mike Miller
2018-12-11, 10:42 AM
Given your weapon and armor, I have to ask. Did you consider the shark prestige class? I can't remember the name but it must have been in either that dragon magazine issue or stormwrack.

schreier
2018-12-11, 10:52 AM
I saw the Shark Cultist (same book as the gauntlets) but that requires evil. Also saw the animal Lord class but that seemed really weak. Trying to balance thematic with useful ...

I also considered the shark staff, but it didn't fit as well

ShurikVch
2018-12-20, 10:05 AM
Shimalo'koa (Dragon #352): exotic light weapon made of koa wood (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acacia_koa) and studded with rows of razor sharp shark's teeth. Koa is remarkably light, yet stronger than most other woods. 1d8 slashing damage (x2 crit); 10 gp, 3 lbs.

Horn of the Tritons (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#hornoftheTritons):

Attract 5d4 Large sharks (01-30 on d%), 5d6 Medium sharks (31-80), or 1d10 sea cats (81-100) if the character is in a body of water in which such creatures dwell. The creatures are friendly and obey, to the best of their ability, the one who sounded the horn.15100 gp

Sharkjaw (Ghostwalk): +1 wounding heavy mace, skull-capped with dozens of rows of shark teeth wired into its jaws; 18312 gp

Frenzied Shark Necklace (Arms and Equipment Guide): +2 Str, +4 Swim, and +1 round of Rage; 2160 gp