PDA

View Full Version : Giant/Oversized weapon worth taking on a GWM/PM werebear pc?

samcifer
2018-12-11, 01:44 PM
So over the last 2 sessions, our dm set us against a thieves' den filled with various were creatures. Our sorcerer who used to be a paladin before he re-spec-ed in-game got bit by a weretiger, then our barbarian got infected by a wereboar, then I got it from a werebear and another player is now a wererat, leaving our akroia (sp? - the bird race) monk as the only normie if the group. The barbarian player wanted to be a werebear as well, so after some rp where I (as a sorcadin) cured him, he was attacked by a werebear and turned. The player is a crit-focused totem barbarian/champion fighter and now wields a giant/large great axe that gets a second damage die.

So my questions as a damage-focused GWM/PM sorcadin with a glaive is:

Would it be worth me getting a giant/enlarged glaive to up my damage while in my werebear form?

Wildarm
2018-12-11, 02:15 PM
So I guess your DM is deciding to not take over your characters since you're all Lycanthropes?

From Monster Manual:

"If the character embraces the curse, his or her alignment becomes the one defined by the lycanthrope. The DM is free to decide that a change in alignment places the character under DM control until the curse of lycanthropy is removed."

Anyway, question was if you should upgrade to a larger weapon. If your size is large you should be able to wield a large size weapon and deal an extra 1d4 damage with it(see Reduce/Enlarge spell). It's really heavy and you'd be at disadvantage using it in your normal form. I guess it depends on how often you'll be in Werebear form.

samcifer
2018-12-11, 03:49 PM
So I guess your DM is deciding to not take over your characters since you're all Lycanthropes?

From Monster Manual:

"If the character embraces the curse, his or her alignment becomes the one defined by the lycanthrope. The DM is free to decide that a change in alignment places the character under DM control until the curse of lycanthropy is removed."

Anyway, question was if you should upgrade to a larger weapon. If your size is large you should be able to wield a large size weapon and deal an extra 1d4 damage with it(see Reduce/Enlarge spell). It's really heavy and you'd be at disadvantage using it in your normal form. I guess it depends on how often you'll be in Werebear form.

Well, the dm has ruled that a large battleaxe does 2 dice worth of damage rather than a single die (so 2d12 instead of 1d12) which mhe took because when transformed, he loses his half-orc racial ability to add an extra die to a crit and now, in effect, has that ability on every attack instead of only on a single crit per rest.

RSP
2018-12-11, 08:34 PM
...he loses his half-orc racial ability to add an extra die to a crit and now, in effect, has that ability on every attack instead of only on a single crit per rest.

The half Orc racial ability isn’t once per rest; it works on any crit.

samcifer
2018-12-12, 10:44 AM
The half Orc racial ability isn’t once per rest; it works on any crit.

But our dm has ruled that it doesn't work while shifted, hence the need for the large axe for the barbarian player

xanderh
2018-12-13, 02:23 AM
Well, the dm has ruled that a large battleaxe does 2 dice worth of damage rather than a single die (so 2d12 instead of 1d12) which mhe took because when transformed, he loses his half-orc racial ability to add an extra die to a crit and now, in effect, has that ability on every attack instead of only on a single crit per rest.

He probably ruled this way because that's the rule for large weapons in the DMG. It's described in the monster creation section of the book. I don't have a page reference handy, but that's where it is.

Maxilian
2018-12-13, 10:15 AM

From Monster Manual:

Well... the change may not have changed their alignment. (Or the Alignment change have not applied yet as they have not completele embraced the curse)

samcifer
2018-12-13, 01:21 PM
Well... the change may not have changed their alignment. (Or the Alignment change have not applied yet as they have not completele embraced the curse)

Well we're playing an evil campaign and our alignments remain unchanged.

Maxilian
2018-12-13, 02:22 PM

Every Were-form have a different alignment, so if you guys end up accepting the curse, some of you will have an alignment change (be it a simpler one or a more drastric -if not all of you), even more if all are evil:

-Werebear are Neutral Good

-Wereboar are Neutral Evil

-Wererats are Lawful Evil

-Weretigers are just neutral

-Werewolves are Chaotic Evil

So.... something would change, though your DM as the God of Gods, can do whatever they want with that...

Note: An Alignment change may not mean that you lose control of your character, it depends on the DM, the more extreme is the alignment change, the more likely it is for you to lose control of your character.

Wildarm
2018-12-13, 03:41 PM

OK, well I suggest starting the were-pocalypse then. Probably what your DM deserves anyway. ;)