PDA

View Full Version : Interacting with Drow PC in Waterdeep: Dragon Heist

DrowPiratRobrts
2018-12-11, 02:26 PM
I’m wondering how much insight/guidance we have in Waterdeep’s treatment of Drow. I have a PC who is choosing a Drow and I’m cool with that, but is there a precedent for Drow being relatively well established in Waterdeep? I know Jarlaxle and Bregan D’Arthe are there in disguise, but some very influential people in Waterdeep actually already know this according to the book.

So what do you think would happen if the players exposed Jarlaxle to the city at large? What degree of acceptance would you expect this PC to receive?

People in the D&D source material seem to be a little more open minded than, say in the Legend of Drizzt books. What are your thoughts?

Unoriginal
2018-12-11, 02:53 PM
I’m wondering how much insight/guidance we have in Waterdeep’s treatment of Drow. I have a PC who is choosing a Drow and I’m cool with that, but is there a precedent for Drow being relatively well established in Waterdeep? I know Jarlaxe and Bregan D’Arthe are there in disguise, but some very influential people in Waterdeep actually already know this according to the book.

So what do you think would happen if the players exposed Jarlaxe to the city at large? What degree of acceptance would you expect this PC to receive?

Dragon Heist is pretty clear on that: Waterdeep is extremely cosmopolite, and Drow don't risk much more than a few glares, rudeness and suspicions/assumptions you're a crook (unless they find themselves encountering specific violent drow-haters), and the majority of people won't bother with that kind of prejudice. Tensions with non-dark elves would probably still be a thing, though, but not likely to escalate.

Same for pretty much all the "monster" races.

That being said, it doesn't mean there is an active Drow community or the like. If you're a Drow in Waterdeep, you're one of the few outcasts who prefer the surface to Skullport and/or the Xanathar's Guild.

Bregan D’Arthe doesn't disguise themselves because they're Drow, but because they're Bregan D’Arthe.

People in the D&D source material seem to be a little more open minded than, say in the Legend of Drizzt books.

Much more open minded, at the time and place of Dragon Heist, actually.

Keep in mind the Waterdavian accept literal devil worshipers doing their cult in their city (as long as they don't harm people or the like).

Helldin87
2018-12-11, 03:09 PM
There is a lot to be said for it depending on the villain too. One of my PC's for this was a drow bard. He and the sorcerer shared party face duties but this guy definitely took point talking to Jarlaxle. I didn't impose any particular disadvantage or DC hikes for social interactions but I made it clear that MOST people took an unkind view of drow due to their long racial history of enslaving surface dwellers and being kind of jerks (with a few notable exceptions).

DrowPiratRobrts
2018-12-11, 03:37 PM
There is a lot to be said for it depending on the villain too. One of my PC's for this was a drow bard. He and the sorcerer shared party face duties but this guy definitely took point talking to Jarlaxle. I didn't impose any particular disadvantage or DC hikes for social interactions but I made it clear that MOST people took an unkind view of drow due to their long racial history of enslaving surface dwellers and being kind of jerks (with a few notable exceptions).

I’m playing Xanathar as the villain. I like the idea of Jarlaxle being more Jarlaxley and less Crenshinabony. It’ll also allow more interaction with Bregan D’Arthe directly.

DrowPiratRobrts
2018-12-11, 03:47 PM
Dragon Heist is pretty clear on that: Waterdeep is extremely cosmopolite, and Drow don't risk much more than a few glares, rudeness and suspicions/assumptions you're a crook (unless they find themselves encountering specific violent drow-haters), and the majority of people won't bother with that kind of prejudice. Tensions with non-dark elves would probably still be a thing, though, but not likely to escalate.

Same for pretty much all the "monster" races.

That being said, it doesn't mean there is an active Drow community or the like. If you're a Drow in Waterdeep, you're one of the few outcasts who prefer the surface to Skullport and/or the Xanathar's Guild.

Bregan D’Arthe doesn't disguise themselves because they're Drow, but because they're Bregan D’Arthe.

Much more open minded, at the time and place of Dragon Heist, actually.

Keep in mind the Waterdavian accept literal devil worshipers doing their cult in their city (as long as they don't harm people or the like).

Do you know about how many years it’s been since the Time of Troubles? I see it mentioned but I can’t find a reference to the current year.

Malifice
2018-12-11, 04:15 PM
Canonically Elistraee herself recently danced right up the main street of Waterdeep during a recent full moon.

The unasked lord (Lady really) of Waterdeep just approved an open temple to her which has recently finished construction, and many Drow have been flocking to the city to worship her.

I dare say Elistraee chose the city due to its cosmopolitan vibe. Fits her dogma of reuniting Drow with the other races, and of egalitarianism, gender equality, racial harmony and liberty pretty well.

My current PC is a male half drow ancients Paladin/ Hexblade/
Swords bard with the Knignt of the Order background (Darkmoon Knight) devoted to her, who is in Waterdeep on a holy mission to link the surface temple to the Promemade of the Dark Maiden on the 3rd level of Undermountain via a Moonspring portal (I'm playing Halasters undermountan).

Trying desperately hard not to be a Drizzt clone. Uses a Greatsword (elven accuracy build) and a set of elven full plate. Mother was Viconna D'Virr (of Baldurs Gate fame) and a human father. Hexblade patron is refluffed as Moonsword patron.

DrowPiratRobrts
2018-12-11, 04:34 PM
Canonically Elistraee herself recently danced right up the main street of Waterdeep during a recent full moon.

The unasked lord (Lady really) of Waterdeep just approved an open temple to her which has recently finished construction, and many Drow have been flocking to the city to worship her.

I dare say Elistraee chose the city due to its cosmopolitan vibe. Fits her dogma of reuniting Drow with the other races, and of egalitarianism, gender equality, racial harmony and liberty pretty well.

My current PC is a male half drow ancients Paladin/ Hexblade/
Swords bard with the Knignt of the Order background (Darkmoon Knight) devoted to her, who is in Waterdeep on a holy mission to link the surface temple to the Promemade of the Dark Maiden on the 3rd level of Undermountain via a Moonspring portal (I'm playing Halasters undermountan).

Trying desperately hard not to be a Drizzt clone. Uses a Greatsword (elven accuracy build) and a set of elven full plate. Mother was Viconna D'Virr (of Baldurs Gate fame) and a human father. Hexblade patron is refluffed as Moonsword patron.

Very nice! One of my players is a Drow Bard who left the underdark a long time ago. I’m just imagining the first time they step on one of Jarlaxle’s ships and he turns into a human, much to the party’s surprise. That’s if the Drow don’t contact him with a job offer first.

JackPhoenix
2018-12-11, 05:03 PM
Do you know about how many years it’s been since the Time of Troubles? I see it mentioned but I can’t find a reference to the current year.

Jarlaxle's submarine was made in 1489, so sometimes after that. That would make it about 130 years.

Malifice
2018-12-11, 05:45 PM
Jarlaxle's submarine was made in 1489, so sometimes after that. That would make it about 130 years.

Yeah thats right. It's currently 1494 in Faerun.

The clock was set to 1491 DR n 2015 AD our time, and it advances by +1 year per real world year.

Time of Troubles was 1358 DR (Year of Shadows). So 133 years ago to be precise.

I factored that in with my current PC. Being a son of Vicona DeVir (who adventured with the Bhaalspawn Abdel Aidrian in 1360 when the events of Baldurs Gate happened).

Demi-canonically she then stated a Church to Shar in Waterdeep before getting chased out of the city, and adventuring briefly with Drizzt and finding acceptance with surface elves and changing her alignment (from NE to Good).

In my headcanon she then had a dailiance with my human father, converted to Eliistraee at around this time, gave birth to my PC and raised me as one of her own, with her name (as is custom in Drow society).

Naanomi
2018-12-11, 08:09 PM
Primitive monster races (Lizardman for example) would have a harder time than drow I think

DrowPiratRobrts
2018-12-12, 10:45 AM

Awesome, thanks! I’ve been looking for this.