PDA

View Full Version : Calling Build Enthusiasts! Plot is Going to Overhaul my lv 14+ Bard. Help?

dragoeniex
2018-12-11, 03:32 PM
We've been playing for over a year, and my Whispers Bard 13/Hexblade 1 bard has had many subclass abilities flavored as harnessing a shadow energy he was infected with pre-campaign. Character development, story progression, and an eager DM have pretty much said there's going to be a choice down the line for my character on whether he'll give up those shadows or not.

The shadows are corroding his soul over time, so he's flipping that switch so hard it may snap. On one hand, great chance for changing dynamics and uncharted territory!

On the other, I really like my current, spooky gish build and am going to be quite sad if I don't figure out something cool/effective to stand in its place. It's hard getting my mind away from all the careful planning I'll be losing, and I'd really appreciate starting ideas or combos tossed my way.

Losing: Psychic blades and hexblade's curse to use solo or combo with Tenser's Transformation (next level), my other under-lv-4 damagers (eldritch blast, booming blade), the shield spell (lifesaver), and potentially a lot of the use for my special double-range light crossbow and crossbow expert feat.

I love the ability to gish or tactically nuke between doing all the debuff, healing, and strategic interference that bards (and I) live for. So this stings a bit.

Character will be staying almost completely bard but needs to change subclasses. 1 lv dip can be either applied back to bard or placed elsewhere, might add lv 2 of something if worthwhile. Paladin and fighter are two classes that would make sense to multi in for the character's past (guard cursed and drained of strength), but looking at others.

Building Materials:

Str (post-curse removal) 13+, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 9, Wis 14, Charisma 20

Race: Half-elf

Feats - tough, crossbow expert (will likely be allowed to swap either/or)

Magical Secrets - counterspell, wall of fire; likely Tenser's and find greater steed next lv. At least Tenser's would be allowed to swap if change occurred after, DM might go for more.

Spell Highlights (most I'd want to keep) - Healing word/mass cure wounds/raise dead, disguise self/major illusion/dream/hypnotic pattern, enhance ability, dimension door, dispel magic/counterspell, wall of fire/synaptic static, forcecage.

Any suggestions?

Man_Over_Game
2018-12-11, 04:28 PM
Most reasonable subclass that matches in terms of playstyle and flavor may be the Valor bard. Slightly less magical, slightly less dark, more emphasis on attacking, and now uses more "mundane" means to protect themselves now that they're done with that whole "curse" shindig. It's exactly what your character would be if he was less dark and less magical.

You really wouldn't have to change much of anything else. You can even still keep Tenser's Transformation, since you can afford to be in melee combat regularly. It's a pretty close fit.

OracularPoet
2018-12-11, 04:38 PM
If you want Tensor's Transformation (TT), the only way to "use" your spells while it is on is to take Paladin 2 for smiting (though that pushes TT back an extra level). Swords or Valor would get you two attacks with or without TT active. An interesting mirror-image "purified" build might be Celestial-lock Bard, maybe (non-optimally) Pact of the Blade with some sort of celestial-skinned weapon. Lore gets you two extra secrets one of which could be celestial-skinned Spirit Guardians. I guess, really, Feywild is the true opposite of the Shadowfell, so maybe Glamour + Ancients Pal?

One more point: if you're taking TT, you'll need proficiency in CON as it's a concentration spell generally intended for melee. Maybe War Caster, too, unless you are Pal 6.

Citan
2018-12-15, 09:14 AM
Hi!

Well, to give you suggestions that have a chance at being helpful, we'd need to see how you envision your character to cease this "shadow relationship".

For example...
- "I ask a superior entity to help me get rid of this self-killing power in exchange of a vow to work and live in a certain fashion" -> Paladin.
- "I strain myself and train to regain full control of my body and completely repel and dismiss this energy" -> Monk or Fighter.

Mercurias
2018-12-15, 09:58 AM
With what you mentioned, if you wanted to min/max then going Valor Bard with a dip in Paladin would get you where you want to be. From what you’ve mentioned of the character, though, I get the feeling you might have more fun if you go for a Glamour Bard instead. I could definitely be wrong, though.

Damon_Tor
2018-12-15, 10:45 AM
Pick up Shillelagh as one of your early magic secrets so you retain Cha as your attack stat (I assume that was the primary function of the warlock dip). Go staff-and-sheild and pick up polearm bastardy since you have a feat to replace anyway. If you can spare another feat get Mounted Combatant so you can protect your mount.

If it were me, I'd just stay full bard for right now, (College of Swords, Dueling Fighting Style). I really enjoy the combination of FGS and Tenser's Transformation: have your mount be a rhinoceros because it will be getting double attacks from TT anyway (Give him inspiration if you like), have it charge in and make his two attacks at 4d8+2d12+5 damage, and they YOU get your three attacks at 1d8+2d12+7 each, toss a Defensive Flourish on one of those attacks for another 1d10 damage and +1d10 AC. Use that AC to back off without getting hit to force the other guy to approach you, triggering that sweet PAM reaction attack for ANOTHER 1d8+2d12+7 damage.

That's a ton of damage for one round of combat, really milking that level 6 spell slot.

EDIT: You can still MC into Paladin later if you like, and the smites will add significantly to your nova potential, but for now focus on riding that celestial rhinoceros into glory.

Damon_Tor
2018-12-15, 11:45 AM
Pick up Shillelagh as one of your early magic secrets so you retain Cha as your attack stat (I assume that was the primary function of the warlock dip). Go staff-and-sheild and pick up polearm bastardy since you have a feat to replace anyway. If you can spare another feat get Mounted Combatant so you can protect your mount.

If it were me, I'd just stay full bard for right now, (College of Swords, Dueling Fighting Style). I really enjoy the combination of FGS and Tenser's Transformation: have your mount be a rhinoceros because it will be getting double attacks from TT anyway (Give him inspiration if you like), have it charge in and make his two attacks at 4d8+2d12+5 damage, and they YOU get your three attacks at 1d8+2d12+7 each, toss a Defensive Flourish on one of those attacks for another 1d10 damage and +1d10 AC. Use that AC to back off without getting hit to force the other guy to approach you, triggering that sweet PAM reaction attack for ANOTHER 1d8+2d12+7 damage.

That's a ton of damage for one round of combat, really milking that level 6 spell slot.

EDIT: You can still MC into Paladin later if you like, and the smites will add significantly to your nova potential, but for now focus on riding that celestial rhinoceros into glory.

Obviously you can dial back whatever part of this you want to taste. For example, swapping out the Rhinoceros for a Pegasus results in better mobility and is a more durable mount (oddly) but with less damage because the Pegasus has a lower attack bonus and doesn't have the rhino's extra damage after moving. You can still do Shillelagh and a quarter staff without PAM but you lose your bonus attack. Or as an alternative you could wield two clubs and take Two-Weapon Fighting instead of Dueling, and forgo the shield's AC bonus. There's a bunch of wiggle room here to make it fit whatever idea you've got in your head.