PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Is there a spell that has an effect on written text like copying it?

Myth27
2018-12-11, 04:43 PM
Is there a spell that makes you learn the information of or that creates a copy of a written non-magical document? My google skills are failing me tonight...

Man_Over_Game
2018-12-11, 04:51 PM
Is there a spell that makes you learn the information of or that creates a copy of a written non-magical document? My google skills are failing me tonight...

The only way to do something like that is with Legend Lore (recites any legendary information regarding something, the more you already know, the more information it provides), and some kind of Divine magic sensor, with something like Arcane Eye. I suppose you could cast Divination and have your God tell you, but it doesn't inherently say anything about objects.

Eriol
2018-12-11, 08:36 PM
Fabricate (http://5e.d20srd.org/srd/spells/fabricate.htm)MIGHT allow that. It seems like a bit of a waste of a 4th-level spell slot, but it seems possible if non-magical.

One wrinkle:

You also can’t use it to create items that ordinarily require a high degree of craftsmanship, such as jewelry, weapons, glass, or armor, unless you have proficiency with the type of artisan’s tools used to craft such objects.
Does a book require such? I'd say "maybe no, and thus you can do it" if you've read the book before. If it wasn't for the "metal" requirement of the feature, the Forge Cleric's channel divinity feature might also work.

Also, a Conjuration Wizard's "Minor Conjuration" feature might arguably be used for a similar purpose, though temporarily.

This is for copying of course. Reading, I dunno.

Misterwhisper
2018-12-11, 08:55 PM
Maybe the forge domain divine power if it is a book with metal in it like a lock or clasp?

Maybe, but doubtful.

Personally if someone wanted a cantrip that copied one nonmagical page at a time I could see it.

Or, a second level spell that does a whole book as a ritual spell.

No chance it ever happens for spell books and scrolls.
you could also use unseen servant to copy it for you but not that fast.

TIPOT
2018-12-11, 09:21 PM
There was a cantrip in 3.5 called amanuensis which did that but I don't think there's anything in 5e comparable.

edit encode thoughts from Ravnica might be a step in the right direction? You're probably better off home brewing something though.

Crgaston
2018-12-12, 10:28 AM
Not a spell, but with the Keen Mind feat you can accurately recall anything you've seen in the past month, and then you can presumably write it down from memory.

Unoriginal
2018-12-12, 10:54 AM
Unseen Servant can copy a book, if given time. Lots and lots of time.

Corran
2018-12-12, 12:08 PM
Comprehend languages would work if it's not a code of some sort. If it's a code, you could perhaps make an investigation check during downtime that you spend examining the writing in search of any patterns in the writing.

JellyPooga
2018-12-12, 12:12 PM
Is there something wrong with doing it manually? Why do you need a spell for it?

JMS
2018-12-12, 12:20 PM
Is there something wrong with doing it manually? Why do you need a spell for it?

Speed, I would guess. Or something like taping the enemy code book, and having it copied to a book in your possession.