PDA

View Full Version : Ways to heal the undead?

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-12-11, 04:46 PM
Just wondering if there are any spells which actually HEAL the undead or what the best bet is if the party for some reason needs to "heal" an undead companion?

JackPhoenix
2018-12-11, 04:53 PM
Aura of Life, Aura of Vitality, Regenerate

AvvyR
2018-12-11, 05:08 PM
Life Transference will do it too.

Negative Energy Flood gives undead temp HP, which is kind of like healing.

But, Aura of Life says only living allies

JackPhoenix
2018-12-11, 05:19 PM
But, Aura of Life says only living allies

Ah, you're right. That's what I get from looking specifically for any mention of undead.

nickl_2000
2018-12-11, 08:16 PM
Healing kit with the healer feat works perfectly. Aasimar healing hands to

Dalebert
2018-12-11, 11:53 PM
Short rests. I like to have about 8 skeletons on my necromancer. 4 at any particular time are in the portable hole. If some are down hp, I can swap them out for fresh ones and tell them to rest in the hole.

I know it's not a spell but it's a strategy to consider.

SociopathFriend
2018-12-12, 02:13 AM
While not "healing" per say, any readily available source of temporary hitpoints like Fiend Warlock or a Fighter Samurai is giving you effective HP, if not the real thing.

Is it only magic healing that doesn't work on undead? Or does Fighting Spirit work on them?

Greywander
2018-12-12, 05:03 AM
Goodberry. Also, the Celestial warlock's pseudo-Healing Word feature can heal undead.

I've been playing an undead character in a campaign, so this has been an issue.

Edit: Long rests. Those always work.

Dalebert
2018-12-13, 07:20 PM
Is it only magic healing that doesn't work on undead? Or does Fighting Spirit work on them?

There's no general rule that it doesn't but some spells specifically say they don't work on undead.

HMS Invincible
2018-12-14, 11:08 AM
What healing spells work on constructs?

The Jack
2018-12-14, 12:16 PM
When your undead is all smashed/torn up, you can use mending.
Prestidigitation is also nice for maintenance.

Greywander
2018-12-14, 06:16 PM
What healing spells work on constructs?
A lot of the healing spells and effect that specifically exclude undead also exclude constructs. It's not guarantied, but most healing that works with undead will probably also work with constructs.

If nothing else, resting always works.

JackPhoenix
2018-12-14, 07:04 PM
When your undead is all smashed/torn up, you can use mending.
Prestidigitation is also nice for maintenance.

Neither works with creatures. So unless by "all smashed up", you mean "it's been destroyed and isn't a creature anymore", Mending won't help you, and if the undead has been destroyed, you don't need to bother putting the pieces back together, as you can't reanimate them anyway (Animate Dead must target remains of humanoid, not remains of undead).

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-12-14, 07:08 PM
Neither works with creatures. So unless by "all smashed up", you mean "it's been destroyed and isn't a creature anymore", Mending won't help you, and if the undead has been destroyed, you don't need to bother putting the pieces back together, as you can't reanimate them anyway (Animate Dead must target remains of humanoid, not remains of undead).

There are some lines there which are important to pay attention to!

What prompted my original question was an undead NPC task giver in one of my campaigns. She really doesn't belong in combat with or well, WITH the party but you never know how the murder hobo group will try to turn things.

There is a Warlock who sided with her and I was wondering how this would go if it ever came about after I noticed my personal favorite, Healing Word, has no effect on undead or constructs.

JackPhoenix
2018-12-14, 07:25 PM
There are some lines there which are important to pay attention to!

What prompted my original question was an undead NPC task giver in one of my campaigns. She really doesn't belong in combat with or well, WITH the party but you never know how the murder hobo group will try to turn things.

There is a Warlock who sided with her and I was wondering how this would go if it ever came about after I noticed my personal favorite, Healing Word, has no effect on undead or constructs.

I have undead (modified vampire from Planeshift) PC amongst my players. She heals through short rests, Second Wind, healing potions, goodberries from the dryad the group befriended (though I wouldn't allow the later two work on, say, skeleton) or sucking their enemies' blood. Another PC is life cleric/divine sorcerer who's frustrated her awesome healing powers don't work on her companion, and the last PC is paladin/celestial warlock, who can use the warlock's Healing Light ability. So between the three of them, they have a lot of ways to keep their HP up.