PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Grod's Revised Races (mostly humans)

Grod_The_Giant
2018-12-12, 11:54 AM
Most races are fine. Some, I think, could use a little work. Thus, this. Admittedly more for my reference than anything else.

Darkvision: You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.

Gnoll

Ability Score Increase: Your Strength score increases by 2, and your Dexterity score increases by 1.
Size: Medium.
Speed: 30 feet.
Darkvision: You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
Bite: Your fanged jaw is a natural weapon, which you can use to make unarmed strikes. If you hit with it, you deal piercing damage equal to 1d4 + your Strength modifier, instead of the bludgeoning damage normal for an unarmed strike.
Rampage: When you reduce a creature to 0 hit points with a melee attack on your turn, you can take a bonus action to move up to half your speed and make a bite attack.
Persistence Hunter: You gain proficiency in Survival and you may move at full speed while following tracks. You have advantage on saves against fatigue.
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common and Gnoll.

Race
Ability Score Increase: Your Constitution score increases by 2
Speed: Your base walking speed is 30 feet
Bite: Your fanged maw is a natural weapon, which you can use to make unarmed strikes. If you hit with it, you deal piercing damage equal to 1d6 + your Strength modifier, instead of the bludgeoning damage normal for an unarmed strike.
Hunter's Lore: You gain proficiency with two of the following skills of your choice: Animal Handling, Nature, Perception, Stealth, and Survival.
Natural Armor: You have tough, scaly skin. When you aren't wearing armor, your AC is 13 + your Dexterity modifier. You can use your natural armor to determine your AC if the armor you wear would leave you with a lower AC. A shield's benefits apply as normal while you use your natural armor.
Hungry Jaws: In battle, you can throw yourself into a vicious feeding frenzy. As a bonus action, you can make a special attack with your bite. If the attack hits, it deals its normal damage, and you gain temporary hit points (minimum of 1) equal to your Constitution modifier, and you can't use this trait again until you finish a short or long rest.
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common and Draconic.

Subrace: Swamp Lizardfolk
Ability Score Increase: Your Dexterity score increases by 1
Speed: You have a swimming speed of 30ft
Hold Breath: You can hold your breath for up to 15 minutes at a time.
Cunning Artisan: As part of a short rest, you can harvest bone and hide from a slain beast, construct, dragon, monstrosity, or plant creature of size Small or larger to create one of the following items: a shield, a club, a javelin, or 1d4 darts or blowgun needles. To use this trait, you need a blade, such as a dagger, or appropriate artisan's tools, such as leatherworker's tools.

Subrace: Desert Lizardfolk
Ability Score Increase: Your Strength score increases by 1
Speed: You have a climbing speed of 30ft.
Heat Endurance: You are not affected by environmental heat.

Race
Ability Score Increase: Two ability scores of your choice increase by 1.
Quick Learner: You gain proficiency in one skill, tool, or language of your choice.
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common.

Subrace: Craftsman
Ability Score Increase: Your Intelligence score increases by 1.
Practiced Artisan: You gain proficiency in two tools of your choice, and may add twice your Proficiency bonus when making checks with them.
Rapid Repair: If you spend an action interacting with an item while possessing the right set of artisan's tools, you may repair it as though you had cast Mending.

Subrace: Country-Dweller
Ability Score Increase: Your Wisdom score increases by 1.
Live off the Land: You gain proficiency in Animal Handling and Survival.
Hearty: Your hit point maximum increases by 1, and it increases by 1 every time you gain a level.

Subrace: Noble
Ability Score Increase: Your Charisma score increases by 1.
Courtly Manners: You learn two additional languages.
Knightly Arts: You gain proficiency with lances, longswords, and light armor.

Subrace: Sailor
Ability Score Increase: Your Constitution score increases by 1.
Speed: You gain a swimming speed of 30ft
Life on the Water: You gain proficiency with Athletics and with water vehicles.

Subrace: Soldier
Ability Score Increase: Your Strength score increases by 1
Martial Training: You gain proficiency in light armor, spears, pikes, glaives, halberds, and shortswords.
Long March: You travel 50% faster overland.

Subrace: Urbanite
Ability Score Increase: Your Dexterity score increases by 1
Scamper: You may Dash as a bonus action.
Cosmopolitan: You learn one additional language. Even when you do not share a language, you usually have enough scatterings of vocabulary and body language to make yourself understood. Simple concepts that can be conveyed in a few words (such as "Help!" or "Drop your weapon!") can be conveyed automatically. More complex concepts require you to make a Charisma check, with a DC of 10 when attempting to communicate whumanoids, 12 for dragons, giants and fey, and 15 for all other creature types.

Githzerai
Ability Score Increase: Your Wisdom score increases by 2, and your Dexterity score increases by 1.
Monastic Training: Your unarmed strike attacks count as finesse weapons, and deal 1 point of additional damage. In addition, when determining how far you can jump, you may use your Wisdom score in place of your Strength score.
Mental Discipline: You have advantage on saving throws against the charmed and frightened conditions.
Githzerai Psionics: You know the Mage Hand cantrip, and the hand is invisible when you cast the cantrip with this trait. When you reach 3rd level, you can cast Shield once with this trait, and you regain the ability to do so when you finish a long rest. When you reach 5th level, you can cast the Detect Thoughts spell once with this trait, and you regain the ability to do so when you finish a long rest. Wisdom is your spellcasting ability for these spells. When you cast them with this trait, they don’t require components.
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common and Gith

JNAProductions
2018-12-12, 07:07 PM
Looking at humans, I would NOT give shields as a subrace. Mountain Dwarves give Medium Armor, and they don't even give shields!

clash
2018-12-13, 03:26 PM
For Completion sake I would make subraces that give +1 wisdom and +1 dex to round out the revised human options

Grod_The_Giant
2018-12-13, 04:00 PM
Looking at humans, I would NOT give shields as a subrace. Mountain Dwarves give Medium Armor, and they don't even give shields!
Fair point; I'll remove.

For Completion sake I would make subraces that give +1 wisdom and +1 dex to round out the revised human options
Good idea. I guess Country-Dwellers could take Wis; any suggestions for a Dex subrace?

SunderedWorldDM
2018-12-13, 04:32 PM
Good idea. I guess Country-Dwellers could take Wis; any suggestions for a Dex subrace?
Forest-dwellers? Criminals or individuals hailing from the underside of the urban sprawl?

Blackbando
2018-12-13, 05:19 PM
The gnolls here seem quite overpowered; they get more land movement speed than any other race in the game, they get a pretty decent trait in Rampage, and then my main issue: the proficiency in Constitution saving throws. The only saving throw a race should ever give proficiency in is death saving throws, and even then, that's debatable.

This gnoll race, ironically, is way more attractive for a spellcaster than a martial, just due to that one saving throw proficiency. If you remove that, then it's fine, though, for the most part. I'd still personally lower their speed to 35 feet, and then maybe give them Athletics proficiency, to fix it up.

MeimuHakurei
2018-12-16, 02:07 PM
As written, you can actually have the revised humans gain a +3 to one stat, which allows them to hit an 18/+4 on the first level.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-12-16, 06:16 PM
The gnolls here seem quite overpowered; they get more land movement speed than any other race in the game, they get a pretty decent trait in Rampage, and then my main issue: the proficiency in Constitution saving throws. The only saving throw a race should ever give proficiency in is death saving throws, and even then, that's debatable.

This gnoll race, ironically, is way more attractive for a spellcaster than a martial, just due to that one saving throw proficiency. If you remove that, then it's fine, though, for the most part. I'd still personally lower their speed to 35 feet, and then maybe give them Athletics proficiency, to fix it up.
Con saves is... definitely too much, yeah. I'll tone them down. I don't want to drop the speed below 40ft because that's what the MM gnolls have, but yeah, Con saves are gone.

As written, you can actually have the revised humans gain a +3 to one stat, which allows them to hit an 18/+4 on the first level.
Good point-- I'll add a note about how their +2 must be to a different stat than their subrace.

Forest-dwellers? Criminals or individuals hailing from the underside of the urban sprawl?
Hmmm...

Edge
2018-12-16, 06:56 PM
Con saves is... definitely too much, yeah. I'll tone them down. I don't want to drop the speed below 40ft because that's what the MM gnolls have, but yeah, Con saves are gone.

For a significantly less powerful and more flavourful ability, you could give them advantage on saves against ingested diseases and poisons? Call it Carrion Eater, or something along those lines.

clash
2018-12-17, 09:19 AM
I might suggest simply making the +2 to a stat a +1 to 2 different stats and then let the subrace turn a +1 to a +2 if they so choose.

Blackbando
2018-12-17, 11:50 AM
No they don't. They have 30 ft. (https://i.gyazo.com/16bce6ad48f283b16147e1881dfc5ac6.png)

Grod_The_Giant
2018-12-17, 02:28 PM
I might suggest simply making the +2 to a stat a +1 to 2 different stats and then let the subrace turn a +1 to a +2 if they so choose.
That is better, yeah.

Also broke City-Dweller into Craftsman and Urbanite to get my +Dex subrace.

No they don't. They have 30 ft. (https://i.gyazo.com/16bce6ad48f283b16147e1881dfc5ac6.png)
Wait, really? Crap, you're right.

Theodoxus
2018-12-18, 09:59 AM
Honestly, for humans, I'd swap the Dex and Con for Sailor and Urbanite. Sailors are supposed to be good at climbing and swinging around on ropes (and while climbing is Str based, swinging shouldn't be...) It just struck me as odd is all.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-12-18, 03:10 PM
Honestly, for humans, I'd swap the Dex and Con for Sailor and Urbanite. Sailors are supposed to be good at climbing and swinging around on ropes (and while climbing is Str based, swinging shouldn't be...) It just struck me as odd is all.
Ehh... the "grew up by the sea" archetype says "heartiness" to me more than anything else. I'm not entirely happy with these, in all honesty. It's hard to come up with one or two things that don't cover the same ground as backgrounds, much less six.