PDA

View Full Version : Help! My players went full evil!

Klockwork0reo
2018-12-12, 04:12 PM
My players went full evil on a recent adventure. I, as the DM, have been running an updated to 5e version of Pathfinder's Daughter's of Fury adventure. Tbe adventure, for those unfamiliar with it, involve a town plagued by devils and orcish invaders. The party interviened as expected, and things ran smoothly until the final fight with Shayle, the young erinyes behind the entire event. Her play was to grant infernal power to whomever could provide her the soul and body of Vegazi, the friendly half Orc ranger. The first to accept the deal was Kelseph. Vegazi's morher, who had just been slain by the players. And so Shayle extends her offer of infernal power to the PCs. Within a single round of combat, the NG Tiefling Monk, Sovrin accepts her offer, and the Wizard and him bargain with the devil until the entire party will he granted this infernal power, (3 levels of Fiend pact Warlock for Vegazi's soul, and the subtype of fiend, with any of the innate boons and curses inherent with that). As part of this action, thier alignments all switched to Evil.

Tome, the TN Radiant Soul Monk, instantly regretted the deal, and wishes to seek attonement. Sovrin is willing to keep or dismiss thier power, and the wizard is all too happy with his infernal power bump.

The main overarching campaign falls apart if the party is plagued by Evil Fiends, so how do I make them want to seek attonement? How do I make a believable switch back to Good? Or, how do I warp the world-ending campaign to our new Evil heroes? How do I allow a player or two to seek attonement without letting that rift between player aligbment to tear apart the group?

Honestly, I'm stunned into submission. Luckily, we're doing a temporary switch of adventures to give the ole DM a small break.

youtellatale
2018-12-12, 04:21 PM
My players went full evil on a recent adventure. I, as the DM, have been running an updated to 5e version of Pathfinder's Daughter's of Fury adventure. Tbe adventure, for those unfamiliar with it, involve a town plagued by devils and orcish invaders. The party interviened as expected, and things ran smoothly until the final fight with Shayle, the young erinyes behind the entire event. Her play was to grant infernal power to whomever could provide her the soul and body of Vegazi, the friendly half Orc ranger. The first to accept the deal was Kelseph. Vegazi's morher, who had just been slain by the players. And so Shayle extends her offer of infernal power to the PCs. Within a single round of combat, the NG Tiefling Monk, Sovrin accepts her offer, and the Wizard and him bargain with the devil until the entire party will he granted this infernal power, (3 levels of Fiend pact Warlock for Vegazi's soul, and the subtype of fiend, with any of the innate boons and curses inherent with that). As part of this action, thier alignments all switched to Evil.

Tome, the TN Radiant Soul Monk, instantly regretted the deal, and wishes to seek attonement. Sovrin is willing to keep or dismiss thier power, and the wizard is all too happy with his infernal power bump.

The main overarching campaign falls apart if the party is plagued by Evil Fiends, so how do I make them want to seek attonement? How do I make a believable switch back to Good? Or, how do I warp the world-ending campaign to our new Evil heroes? How do I allow a player or two to seek attonement without letting that rift between player aligbment to tear apart the group?

Honestly, I'm stunned into submission. Luckily, we're doing a temporary switch of adventures to give the ole DM a small break.

Well a 3 level bump is enormous and I would say that seems rather strong and unbalancing honestly. Also - this is similar to not wanting your NPC/BBEG to be destroyed: if you don't want a BBEG to get killed then don't stat him/her up.

In this instance, I'd say that when Shayle extended the offer to the party that was the end of it because you gave them the option for crazy power and to off-rails everything. Not sure you can really go back on this so you may have to reboot or just roll with it.

Sigreid
2018-12-12, 04:27 PM
You don't. You gave them a tempting option and they took it. Now you adapt and deal with their choices and those consequences which might include such things as being hunted by actual heroes.

MilkmanDanimal
2018-12-12, 04:30 PM
I just want to say this is some SPECTACULAR, high-quality campaign derailing by those players. 10/10, would laugh again.

You gave them an option; don't be surprised they took it, and I'd say your campaign is quite possibly dead. Alternatively . . . well, can start having dreams of their damnation. Maybe there are portents they will die soon, and they realize they're going to burn, so they're inspired to go on a quest of some sort to purify themselves and lose those levels and go back to status quo.

Or, you know, just kill them all for making that decision in the first place.

Unoriginal
2018-12-12, 04:40 PM

Atonement? What atonement?

You can't break a Deal with the Devil like that.

Honestly I would call this a non-standard campaign end if not every player is OK with playing devil minions.

Or you can turn the campaign into "Cuphead: the D&D adventure".

Wildarm
2018-12-12, 04:45 PM
Well aside for the bait being too tempting, for a whole group of players to accept a huge power bump isn't that unexpected. Don't dangle a carrot and expect the horse not to try and bite it. Sounds like there is going to be a showdown. Have the ones who decide to break their pact to do so. Demon shows up to express her displeasure at this and a battle ensues where everyone needs to pick a side. Demon makes sure no one either side can run away. Make sure it laughs monstrously at the glorious chaos and joy of pitting heroes against each other.

When the dust settles, if the good guys win, have them come up with some way to cleanse their allies of the demon's taint. If the bad guys win... Well everyone becomes NPCs and gets to roll up new characters to defeat the new big bad evil guys in town.

HappyDaze
2018-12-12, 04:48 PM
The deal should have been "I can only offer this to (# in party - 1) of you." That will make them jump for the deal. Then make an even nastier deal to the last one...

Kane0
2018-12-12, 04:53 PM
Keep calm and carry on. As long as everybody is enjoying themselves it really doesn't matter what 'should' have happened.

Mind you, the DM needs to be comfortable with continuing. If they aren't that is a discussion best had with the players.

Unoriginal
2018-12-12, 04:56 PM
Well aside for the bait being too tempting, for a whole group of players to accept a huge power bump isn't that unexpected. Don't dangle a carrot and expect the horse not to try and bite it. Sounds like there is going to be a showdown. Have the ones who decide to break their pact to do so. Demon shows up to express her displeasure at this and a battle ensues where everyone needs to pick a side. Demon makes sure no one either side can run away. Make sure it laughs monstrously at the glorious chaos and joy of pitting heroes against each other.

When the dust settles, if the good guys win, have them come up with some way to cleanse their allies of the demon's taint. If the bad guys win... Well everyone becomes NPCs and gets to roll up new characters to defeat the new big bad evil guys in town.

Breaking a deal with a devil isn't just "enforcers show up and try to break your legs". It's literally you vs the laws of reality.

Morvram
2018-12-12, 05:00 PM
If the provided information in the adventure is robust enough that you think you can handle the PCs switching over to the side of evil and fight against whatever good allies the PCs may previously have had (and if the intra-party conflict indeed resolves as "let's all be evil"), then I'd say you can let them go for it - it will probably be fine. Alternately, something along the lines of "a party of good heroes is now hunting the PCs as they try to bring about the apocalypse, or whatever their evil hearts desire."

Kane0
2018-12-12, 05:01 PM
Breaking a deal with a devil isn't just "enforcers show up and try to break your legs". It's literally you vs the laws of reality.
Only if the DM says so.

Laserlight
2018-12-12, 05:08 PM
If you let the PCs into a control room with a big red button marked "Do Not Ever Under Any Circumstances Press This", they will PvP each other to be the one to press it.

As you have just found out.

If it were me, I'd ask them what kind of atrocities they plan to do (not "whether", they already gave up that choice) and then use them as the bosses for the next campaign.

Keravath
2018-12-12, 05:50 PM
In many cases when players are faced with a large power bump they will take it. They will do this EVEN when the characters they have created would not do so.

This is your problem .. the players decided to take the deal but some of them will not be happy with being evil .. they thought of the power bump not the consequences. You should make sure that they play their characters as evil from now on. Killing any who stand against them, women children babies .. they probably wouldn’t care anymore. Torture for information. Torture just because they like it. Crime. Violence .. they don’t care. Injustice? Just an opportunity for more power. Have a little out of character discussion, narrate some of what their future actions will likely entail. Ask them if that is really the type of character that they want to play. It sounds as if at least one doesn’t like the idea. Once they realize the cost .. ask them again if they want to stick with their decision .. if they don’t, retcon it as a warning dream from the forces opposing the devil showing them the consequences of their choice. In fact, you could play a few sessions .. make them as horrific as possible and THEN retcon it as a dream and give them the choice again .. if you want to play with it for a bit.

The Jack
2018-12-12, 05:51 PM
Either roll with it or quit. They fight guards and angels and other fun things, they are destroyed by gods and angels or other fun things, or you gloss over that they live happily ever after; getting slaves, succubus wives, harems, drugs, that one thing they really wanted, palaces and their own pleasant corners of hell... A satisfying end to a campaign.

I think it's out of character that the NG dude was the first to go with it, I also think 3 levels of warlock is going to screw up class progression (that wizard forever removes his chance of 9th level spells) but so be it.

Son of A Lich!
2018-12-12, 05:54 PM
Have fun with it.

You have interesting power imbalance in the party. Let them work out what they want and how to progress.

Where too? They'll let you know. I would have given them levels in warlock, as this is essentially a pact arrangement, and so, you have done as well. Now, as for who your big bads are, now that the party is with the devils... The Devils, obviously.

The Blood War is Complicated. everyone is out for themselves ultimately, that is why it keeps going on and on. Even if they have "A Deal" with "A Devil", that doesn't mean her boss isn't going to notice that she's jockeying for power and is looking to see that she doesn't get too big in her proverbial britches. With three mortals on her side, who are strong enough to pose a threat to her and her plans, they are just as much of a threat to his other minions as well. (I'm not familiar with this exact adventure, so bear with me. I figured she was a sub boss for something larger)

The Game takes a whole new twist when she phones them in to do something that they would consider to be good, only to realize they've played right into her trap for personal advancement.

You're good, just let it work itself out.

Ganryu
2018-12-12, 05:59 PM
Hell, I play evil characters for the fun of it in regular campaigns(I just give myself selfish reasons to not murder the party), not sure why its surprising players chose it.

That said, in various RP's I'm in, including DnD, I ALWAYS say, your job as DM isn't to say no, it's to describe the consequences.

So. What are the consequence? Is it a mechanics consequence? They just jumped in level, now do they ever get stronger while being aligned with the devils? Imagine the karma of they can't get past the current level until they "Atone".

Or is it story consequences? Now they hae to fight all those defenders they were with earlier. They just switched sides, so play it as such.

druid91
2018-12-12, 06:06 PM

Actually, at least in most D&D sources, it really is 'Enforcers show up and try to break your legs' combined with 'Whatever you got out of the deal suddenly stops.'

The deal for your soul doesn't actually do anything magical to your soul, it's A.) The idea that if you're doomed to the hells anyway, might as well not try to be good. and B.) It actually being an explicit part of most contracts that you 'Act the Part'. You get something from them, they get something from you. And that something isn't just a soul.

Unoriginal
2018-12-12, 06:23 PM
The deal for your soul doesn't actually do anything magical to your soul, it's A.) The idea that if you're doomed to the hells anyway, might as well not try to be good. and B.) It actually being an explicit part of most contracts that you 'Act the Part'. You get something from them, they get something from you. And that something isn't just a soul.

You're right for this part, but the first part is incorrect, as far as this edition goes.

Not respecting the term of a formal Devil contract has an enormous backlash on whoever does it, as every single contract is enforced by Asmodeus and his fancy ruby scepter. Devils would be the universe's worst fools if THEY were forced to respect the terms but mortals could break it with no consequences and then get out of the devils' reach.

Now, once every party has given what was promised, there's nothing forcing the PCs to keep serving the devils, true. But until they do kill the half-orc and the soul is in the Erynie's coffers? Nope, no way out (unless it was included in the contract, but usually those "out" cost more than doing the deed).

ATHATH
2018-12-12, 06:24 PM
Do note that Evil isn't all one big happy family- the erinyes could very well try to betray her "boss", making the party oppose "the guys that wanna destroy the world" again... if only to ensure that the gains that come from destroying the world go to the erinyes, not the BBEG.

JackPhoenix
2018-12-12, 06:42 PM
Honestly, if you don't want to run campaign with evil characters, you can go "Your quest ends here. Your characters turned to evil and are no longer playable. They'll serve as antagonists in the next campaign, though. Congratulation!" There's a precedent for that... if a PC becomes a vampire, a lich or accepts lycanthrope's alignment change, they fall under the GM's control... that's actual RAW.

Failure and non-standard game overs should be an option. It's not different from TPK.

The Jack
2018-12-12, 06:46 PM
Honestly, if you don't want to run campaign with evil characters, you can go "Your quest ends here. Your characters turned to evil and are no longer playable. They'll serve as antagonists in the next campaign, though. Congratulation!" There's a precedent for that... if a PC becomes a vampire, a lich or accepts lycanthrope's alignment change, they fall under the GM's control... that's actual RAW.

I don't think that's a good option in this case. With one character, it's not to hard and the other characters have investment in that character, but with a complete reboot the players are probably going to upsetwhen their characters aren't played as well as they'd like by a GM, and the characters don't really have any attachment to their old characters.

It's a bad move.

ATHATH
2018-12-12, 06:53 PM
EDIT: Oops, double-post on my part.

Temperjoke
2018-12-12, 07:00 PM
So a couple of thoughts:

- Yeah, I'm not surprised the players took the offer. Players aren't really long term thinkers, especially when there are shiny things in front of them, like a power boost.

- Depending on how the deal goes, it wouldn't be out of the ordinary for a devil's contract to have fine print to account for issues, buyer's remorse, a need to cancel the deal (like because a boss found out), etc. The real question is, what would be the penalty the players have to pay? Perhaps an alternate service that the devil in question needs?

- They should absolutely have to deal with the consequences, and that can be just as fun as the original plan! If I understand correctly, they are now part fiend, which means that they have the weaknesses of fiends. NPC clerics should refuse or be unable to help them, except maybe clerics of Asmodeus. Do they have any stigma that marks them as being part fiend?

JackPhoenix
2018-12-12, 07:10 PM
I don't think that's a good option in this case. With one character, it's not to hard and the other characters have investment in that character, but with a complete reboot the players are probably going to upsetwhen their characters aren't played as well as they'd like by a GM, and the characters don't really have any attachment to their old characters.

It's a bad move.

It's just as bad as accepting a deal with a devil in heroic campaign. Temptation and its rejection is a part of a hero's journey. If they willingly commit murder (and worse, with sacrificing the soul of an innocent), bargain with a fiend and turn to evil, they should get what they've asked for. The GM doesn't sounds like he wants to run evil campaign and he shouldn't be forced to.

ProsecutorGodot
2018-12-12, 07:12 PM
I don't think that's a good option in this case. With one character, it's not to hard and the other characters have investment in that character, but with a complete reboot the players are probably going to upset when their characters aren't played as well as they'd like by a GM, and the characters don't really have any attachment to their old characters.

It's a bad move.
I think it's a worse move for the DM to try and compromise a situation where the players took the "end your campaign with a total alignment shift option"

Curse of Strahd (and ToA I think) has a similar option, and it doesn't matter that the new PC's have no connection to the old PC's. The old crew is Evil the new crew are Heroes. Heroes go out to stomp Evil and save the land from their tyranny, the connection is built from there. Honestly I think the worst option would be to have them arbitrarily make/force them to play characters that do have a connection to the previous characters.

The fact that the current heroes have varying degrees of opinion on the deal they made also leaves some fantastic story options open. Depending on who they find first from the old crew, they might have a chance at an ally (pending some probably difficult social encounter) rather than a BBEG.

When you become evil and the DM takes your sheet, that's not your character anymore. The DM now decides how evil a devil enthralled you is.

CTurbo
2018-12-12, 09:01 PM
If they actually start doing evil things, I'd send a powerful high level Paladin with sufficient backup after them. Maybe even throw in a Deva or Planetar too.

But if they carry on rather normally just having an evil alignment on paper then I wouldn't change too much.

Bottom line is evil actions should have consequences.

ProsecutorGodot
2018-12-12, 09:21 PM
But if they carry on rather normally just having an evil alignment on paper then I wouldn't change too much.
Bottom line is evil actions should have consequences.
This is my issue with trying to keep them in control of these characters, it's going to be difficult for them to "be evil" at the times they should. Normally alignment is something that should (opinion me) be decided by your actions, rather than something you act in accordance to.

This changes when something says "Your alignment is now evil" as you're now supposed to act in accordance with your new alignment. I think this is why DM's are encouraged to take control of Evil shifted PC.

To OP: Xanathar's actually added a way to rather easily salvage this situation, however the chances are slim unless you find a skilled cleric. Ceremony allows you to perform a ritual that can, after a DC 20 insight check, restore a character to their original alignment. If you think that the characters can be redeemed (it should be difficult, what they did was definitely wholly evil) you can dangle this carrot in front of the Monk character. They should have to deal with long lasting consequence, even if they decide to take back on their bargain.

Perhaps an even more powerful devil might pop up to try and undermine the Erinyes, offering the half orc's soul back under the condition that they're now enthralled to them under the condition of betraying the Erinyes.

Son of A Lich!
2018-12-12, 09:26 PM
Perhaps an even more powerful devil might pop up to try and undermine the Erinyes, offering the half orc's soul back under the condition that they're now enthralled to them under the condition of betraying the Erinyes.

:haley:: I can't help but think we've taken a step backwards here...

lunaticfringe
2018-12-12, 10:02 PM
Atonement? What atonement?

You can't break a Deal with the Devil like that.

Honestly I would call this a non-standard campaign end if not every player is OK with playing devil minions.

Or you can turn the campaign into "Cuphead: the D&D adventure".

This is pathfinder. I honestly have no idea about Golarion lore but I have the module and:

Someone sells someone else's soul for them.

The BBEGal Shayle (fiend)of the module is There because she wants to make sure the other BBEGal doesn't back out of her Soul Contract. This is a BIG deal within the framework of module because apparently Shayle can be permanently destroyed because she entered the Prime of her free will & wasn't summoned (I'm assuming this is standard in Pathfinder???). So it seems like you can wiggle out of Devil's Contracts in this story.

OP how does it screw up your campaign specifically? Do you want to keep playing?

The module implies that it's possible to break a contract with a fiend so make that a Story Arc if the party is interested.

Shayle is designed to get her ask kicked by a level 5-6 party and she was worried over someone breaking a deal enough to risk her immortal existence. She doesn't strike me as a power player. Players who remain Fiends (cause they are Devils now) may realize this and take her out as is in their new nature.

ProsecutorGodot
2018-12-12, 10:11 PM
:haley:: I can't help but think we've taken a step backwards here...

It would be a step backwards toward eventually becoming good again, sure, but it's a way that the story could continue if the party decides to embrace being evil. Backstabbing and moving up the ranks is ingrained into the very soul of devils, the players could decide to take part in that since they are now part of that hierarchy.

The most difficult thing is going to be redeeming themselves (again, if they take that option) as it would very likely require them to save the soul that they damned. Getting souls traded away from a devil is quite a task and no one is going to be very convinced that you're remorseful of the choice unless you make an honest effort to undo it.

Even though I personally think that a campaign being considered done at this point is the best option, I'd still rather recommend alternatives that just calling it quits.

Son of A Lich!
2018-12-12, 10:22 PM
It would be a step backwards toward eventually becoming good again, sure, but it's a way that the story could continue if the party decides to embrace being evil. Backstabbing and moving up the ranks is ingrained into the very soul of devils, the players could decide to take part in that since they are now part of that hierarchy.

The most difficult thing is going to be redeeming themselves (again, if they take that option) as it would very likely require them to save the soul that they damned. Getting souls traded away from a devil is quite a task and no one is going to be very convinced that you're remorseful of the choice unless you make an honest effort to undo it.

Even though I personally think that a campaign being considered done at this point is the best option, I'd still rather recommend alternatives that just calling it quits.

That's what I was getting at; saying that the players should not play evil characters under any circumstances and then tossing in that a bigger, badder devil could make a counter offer just seemed a bit off to me, for what you were proposing.

I s'pose we should ask what the players think of is 'Evil' and whether or not everyone at the table is cool with the parties activities. There is an awfully wide line between stealing forty cakes and murdering puppies in front of the orphans who own them.

I can understand if the game suddenly took a rated NC-17, that the players (Including the DM) would be uncomfortable to come back for another session, but if all that mechanically changed was a G to an E on the alignment chart and the players are simply asked to wear different uniforms, that would probably be okay under most circumstances.

CTurbo
2018-12-13, 02:06 AM
It's still all about how the end up acting. They can be evil on paper and go about their business like normal for the most part. But if they start doing evil deeds, there needs to start being consequences.

I played a lawful evil Paladin that very rarely did anything evil at all. Mainly because he didn't want the party to know, but still.

Malifice
2018-12-13, 02:56 AM
Why on earth did you put in front of them an express choice to go 'full evil', when you knew in advance that them going 'full evil' would end the campaign?

That doesnt make any sense to me (from a DM perspective).

I would never place such a conundrum down in front of my players unless (pick 1 option):

1) It was the climax of the campaign, and the themes and vibe of the campaign had all been working up to that moment (this was the penultimate choice for the PCs), or
2) I was prepared to accept the consequences of their choice, and alter how I ran the campaign accordingly from then on (it shifts in tone completely to an evil campaign), or
3) If they accepted the offer of evil, I had planned in advance how to punish them for that choice/ enforce consequences for that decision, and get the campaign back on track in its intended direction.

Why would you put a binary choice in front of your PCs, whereby a total campaign derailment was the outcome if that choice was made the 'wrong' way by any of them?

No offence, but learn from this one mate. You've kind of dug this hole for yourself.

Angelalex242
2018-12-13, 03:13 AM
Well....

Think of it like this:

In the original Dragon Quest, the Dragon Lord says, "We can rule the world together...half the world is thine...now take a long rest..." and you get a game over screen, reload your last save...

Your PCs took the Dragon Lord's offer. Hence, game over.

Klockwork0reo
2018-12-13, 03:55 PM
OP here.

In short order, I'll explain a few things, and my reasonings behind them, as well as respond to some of your criticisms and stupendous reccomendations.

Firstly, the explinations. I didn't tell them they would receive any explicit mechanical benefits. I simply told them that Shayle would make them like her. (In more flavorful wording and from her point of view). The reason I gave such a huge power bump was that yeah, it was supposed to feel SUBSTANTIAL. That they would be gaining something in return, and didn't just kill thier friend for nothing. As I now realize, 3 levels may have been a bit too much. I am considering dialing this back to level 1, seeing as the moment after the deal has yet to be experienced. However yes, they do get the fiend subtype, with the benefits and detriments of that. I'm still figuring out how that will exactly change a character sheet. The character who was sacrificed had spent the entirety of the adventure being a half orc ranger badass, and building slow but "stable" relationships with the PCs. One of the characters had told me outside of the game that Vegazi was her favorite npc, and sought ways to further that relationship. It also bears mentioning, Shayle was the final boss of this 'adventure', only serving as a reference point for future encounters.

Some of your suggestions on what to do and how to carry on have been stupendous. Tossing them into the Blood War, having this new power somehow be a limit to them, and make them reconsider after facing the consequences. I really do enjoy that idea, as while I'm fine with the character keeping the infernal power or something via clever devil lawyering. My main issue is the evil alignments and actions. (In the adventure guide it says to switch thier alignments). So, what instead of just bumping them down a level. Good becomes Neutral, and Neutral becomes Evil? Or is the act of selling someone's soul, (someone who had trusted you no less), so intrinsically vile that it just drops you right down to evil? Oh well.

These players being new, and myself being rather new to D&D as well, I'd been using these smaller adventures (that slowly weave more and more info into the campaign), were a teaching mechanism. As in, this was showing them the demons and devils of the game. The next adventure was to introduce them to aberrations, celestials, and giants. From then it was mostly dragons and thier various sadistry and intrigue, culminating in an attempt to stop the freeing of world-sized dragon, and death of the entire land. (Think Eberron's Progenitor Dragons).

It is looking like it's going to be 2 of the players seeking some type of way to fix thier actions and "default" on the deal, (likely killing Shayle for real this time), and perhaps the Wizard turned Warlock in the process.

Either way, I do plan to keep "rolling with it", as all of this would make it very memorable for all of us, so long as the hostilities stay in game. So, all that said,

Any tips on how to essentially roll with the punches, and keep the game alive and well, fun and engaging, for everyone, even as they infight?

SpacePiggy1245
2018-12-13, 05:22 PM

If they seek atonement maybe make them have to fight there new evil nature and do quests for the good gods, if the wizard wants to stay evil so be it, but if others wish to them the wizard and the others who want to stay evil must first have a reason to stay in the party and two, if they do they will have to help the Hero's who want to be atoned, and look if the evils become murder hobos or don't follow the campaign, just end it. You are the DM, remember that.

JakOfAllTirades
2018-12-13, 07:30 PM
They went Full Evil?

You never go Full Evil.

Next session begins with: "And then our Former Heroes were damned for all Eternity."

"Game over, next campaign starts now... roll up some Good characters, please."

Sigreid
2018-12-13, 07:37 PM
If they want to break the pact and atone, make them hunt their patron and perhaps her superior down on her home plane and kill her/them. It'd be a fantastic adventure!

AchuakScale
2018-12-13, 07:47 PM
If the players are cool with the combat and infighting, let them. I've run an evil campaign before, and as long as a few ground rules were laid out (No murder hobos) we had an absolute blast. MToF has a bunch of goodies involving the Blood War, aim the PCs that way, and let evil deeds or atonement come from slaying monsters and demons, away from orphans and their puppies.

The Jack
2018-12-13, 07:51 PM
I think, giving warlock levels, even one, is not the way I'd do it. But then again, I've played the evil devil looking to bargain as if it were just another option for the players to take; When you're playing a social game like vtm, a devil isn't much worse than your usual company.

I'd give players some minor buffs like

Ability score increases.
Some innate spellcasting.
Temp hp at the end of every short rest.
They become immune to some conditions.

and then some mixed blessings like

Fiend type; resistant to poison, cold and fire/necrotic but vulnerable to radiant.

and some selectable/tailored to the pc's stuff

They get natural weapons, which are permanent, obvious and difficult with clothing.
They get improved darkvision, which gives their eyes a weird appearance.
They get a slight improvement to AC, but their skin turns a strange colour.
They get some improvement, but find they now need a special diet or have a compulsion.
They get an improved familiar, but it's got a mind of it's own.
The wizard gets new spells in his spellbook, they're cool and very dark, but not especially better than what he'd get normally.

When I've ran demon deals, I usually have it as a step-by step thing. They begin with a bargain, then they'll want more bargains. The player does something for the devil for more power. I don't think this works so well with DnD unless the things they get are utility.

AchuakScale
2018-12-13, 07:58 PM
I think, giving warlock levels, even one, is not the way I'd do it. But then again, I've played the evil devil looking to bargain as if it were just another option for the players to take; When you're playing a social game like vtm, a devil isn't much worse than your usual company.

I'd give players some minor buffs like

Ability score increases.
Some innate spellcasting.
Temp hp at the end of every short rest.
They become immune to some conditions.

and then some mixed blessings like

Fiend type; resistant to poison, cold and fire/necrotic but vulnerable to radiant.

and some selectable/tailored to the pc's stuff

They get natural weapons, which are permanent, obvious and difficult with clothing.
They get improved darkvision, which gives their eyes a weird appearance.
They get a slight improvement to AC, but their skin turns a strange colour.
They get some improvement, but find they now need a special diet or have a compulsion.
They get an improved familiar, but it's got a mind of it's own.
The wizard gets new spells in his spellbook, they're cool and very dark, but not especially better than what he'd get normally.

When I've ran demon deals, I usually have it as a step-by step thing. They begin with a bargain, then they'll want more bargains. The player does something for the devil for more power. I don't think this works so well with DnD unless the things they get are utility.

This is a great idea. Taking notes, bahahaha

Phoenix042
2018-12-14, 12:07 AM

First and foremost, everyone needs to come to grips with their real life responsibilities to the play group.

They are thus: It is the responsibility of the players, not the DM, to ensure party cohesion. If some of them are good and some of them are evil, THEY need to decide how their characters reconcile that rift and stay a single party. If your player's character decide to split the party and end the game, they have ruined your game and theirs. They are responsible for inventing reasons and rationales that justify their character's remaining a single party and proceeding through the game.

With that said, you are ALSO not responsible for determining the path that this party will take. While you can (IRL) ask the players to play a certain way if you'd like, that's not your official role as DM. You are the world and the game, not the player characters, not the party.

If your player's character turn evil, then perhaps it's time to start running an Evil Camaign. As the DM of one LONG running game with 13th level characters at the moment, I can tell you that it's a LOT of fun if you let it be.

You just need to make sure your players understand from day one that it's not your job to give them all a reason to work together. That's the player's responsibility.

Also, it is EACH person's job to make sure everyone else is having fun. If they're playstyle isn't fun for you or another player, then talk to them OOC about it and see if they have any ideas about a possible "path to redemption" that they actually like.

Basically, don't try to decide what the player characters will do, but you can always talk with your players about the kind of game you'd like to play out of game.

That's not a conversation they should be having in character though.

Tvtyrant
2018-12-14, 12:15 AM
I think I would have them play villains then. Bounties start showing up with their names on it, heroes begin trying to kill them, angels start jumping out of potted plants, if they survive long enough a crusade gets called to wipe them and their boss out.

Getting attacked by gold dragons and Gandolf expys while being blocked from good towns can be just as fun as playing Gandalf fighting evil people.

CTurbo
2018-12-14, 12:37 AM
I think I would have them play villains then. Bounties start showing up with their names on it, heroes begin trying to kill them, angels start jumping out of potted plants, if they survive long enough a crusade gets called to wipe them and their boss out.

Getting attacked by gold dragons and Gandolf expys while being blocked from good towns can be just as fun as playing Gandalf fighting evil people.

Yes what he says. Evil campaigns are fun when ran right. The characters gain wealth and power more quickly, but always have to be on the move and having to watch over their shoulders.

I've done this and I created a group of NPC heroes trying to track them down led by an OP high level Devotion Paladin. Anytime the players got stupid or careless or spent too much time in one place, the heros would find them. "Winning" those encounters meant escaping with their lives rather than winning the fight. Random acts of stupid evil usually did not end well. I did that to try to keep them on track somewhat.

Cwyll
2018-12-14, 03:26 AM
She verbally sold them a deal they went for; but is there a written version that might cover all the clauses.
How long until they get their power; and don't fiends normally start at the lower levels before ascending to the heights?
Evil is a marketing pyramid,and they just got offloaded with some low level reward with the 'option' to upscale if they keep doing similar actions.
You've got a great chance for an arc out of this, as the uninformed party chose the quick easy power option, and can now get a chance to see ramifications from this, and you can see what sticks.

Either that, or just retire the characters and use them for drunk late night games where they cook paladin babies on pitchforks like marshmallows.