PDA

View Full Version : GitP Regulars As Subclasses: The II!

JNAProductions
2018-12-12, 07:35 PM
So, we all love it when people make spells out of you. We've also had subclasses before (if anyone can dig up that old thread, I'll link it here).

Let's do it again!

Permission List (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?576108-GitP-Regulars-Permissions&p=23567160#post23567160)

Note: Give permission in the OTHER THREAD-this thread is for making the subclasses!

Old Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?478534-GitP-Regulars-As-Subclasses)

Ninja_Prawn
2018-12-13, 05:17 PM
if anyone can dig up that old thread, I'll link it here.

It's here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?478534-GitP-Regulars-As-Subclasses), darling. Maybe this thread should be called <thread> II?

Max_Killjoy
2018-12-13, 08:15 PM
So how does this actually proceed?

Ninja_Prawn
2018-12-14, 02:43 AM
1. Find someone in the permissions thread whom you know well enough to base a subclass on them.
2. Sacrifice 1d6 goats to obtain inspiration.
3. Write a subclass and post it here.
4. ????
5. Profit!

nickl_2000
2018-12-14, 09:13 AM
I'll try and kick this off with a subclass for JNAProductions

When I (personally) think of JNAProductions I think of good advice on creation and balance of homebrew as well as a list 3 miles long of personal homebrew. So, it sounds to me like a Wizard subclass that assists others and has some artificer/creation aspects would make the most sense for my impression.

I'm not totally satisfied and will re-visit the subclass after I let it stew for a little bit. If you have thoughts, adjustments, or errors that you noticed feel free to PM me or mention it here.

JNAProduction's School of Modifications (wizard subclass)

Clockwork Creation
At level 2, you have learned to tinker with things and now have the ability to summon a clockwork familiar. In addition to the normal abilities of familiar, your familiar can now attack using it's dexterity/strength and your proficiency bonus. Additionally, the familiar gains Damage Immunities to poison and psychic damage and Condition Immunities to charmed, exhaustion, frightened, paralyzed, petrified, poisoned, and prone. As you gain levels in Wizard, the familiar also gains HD (1d6+con) and can increase it's stats when you gain an ASI in wizard levels. The damage dealt by your companion is 1d4+dex/str. This damage increases to 1d6+dex/str at level 6, and 1d8+dex/str at level 14

Here, I'll help with that
At level 2, you also become more skilled at helping allies, causing you to learn the guidance cantrip and cast it as a wizard cantrip. This does not count against your cantrip total.

That's overpowered
At level 6, you gain the ability to affect the world around you. As a reaction, you may sacrifice a spell slot of half the level of the spell cast (rounded up) to cause the spell to do half damage to all targets. If the spell doesn't do damage to any targets on the turn it was cast, the spell slot is lost. This reduced damage effect only applies to the round that the spell was cast.

Improved Clockwork Creation
You continue to tinker with your clockwork companion boosting their abilities. At level 10, you can choose two of the following upgrades to the clockwork familiar: Darkvision 120ft, Blindsight 30ft, Climb speed 30ft, Resistance to a damage type of your choice, familiar attacks considered magical, advantage on grapple checks, increase the size of the creation to large, advantage on skill checks of a single type. Additionally, you can sacrifice spells to imbue the arcane energy into the familiar to heal. The damage healed is 2d4+int per spell slot sacrificed.

Let's Fluff that Differently
At level 14, you can have learned to harness you arcane skills to modify the world around you. As a reaction to a spell being cast, you can change the damage type of the spell to be a different type. When you modify a spell, you may chose to modify to it Fire, Cold, Thunder, Lightning, Necrotic, or Acid. This ability may be done int modifier times per long rest.

I am aware that the level 6 and 14 skills both require reactions. That was done on purpose since the level 14 skill could end up being really powerful so I wanted it to be a choice. Also, I'm aware that the level 14 skill can be used on your own spells, that was intentional to make it both and offensive and defensive ability.

I'm not sure about the clockwork familiar, if they will end up being strong or dexterous enough to be effective in combat. So, that may still need modifications to make sense in the world around them. On the other hand, I love the image of a Large sized owl following the wizard around.

JNAProductions
2018-12-14, 01:53 PM
Clockwork Creation, me gusta.

Here, I'll Help, same.

That's Overpowered is funny, and looks like it would work well!

Improved CC might need playtest balance, but seems okay.

Let's Fluff That Differently is fine... if it was limited to, say, Int Mod times per long rest or maybe twice per short rest. As it is, it lets you target a non-resisted element or even a vulnerable one pretty much every time.

nickl_2000
2018-12-14, 03:41 PM
Fixed fluff to be int times per long rest. Everything seem good and fun?

JNAProductions
2018-12-14, 11:48 PM
The Responsible Wizard Subclass-For Illven

I Just Finished Helping Them!
At level two, you gain Cure Wounds and Healing Word as Wizard spells, because your allies always have to go about making messes and getting themselves hurt, and OF COURSE they didn't bother bringing healing potions, no, it's your job to patch them up, so dammit all, you're gonna patch them up!

Long Hours
At level six, you may take a long rest in half the usual time (though no more than once per day). You've gotten used to working long hours.

The One Who's Always Working
At level ten, you are able to stay awake and alert even while resting, requiring no sleep ever (though you must still do no more than light activity for a rest to be restful). In addition, you are always treated as having advantage on Passive Perception Checks.

Preemptive Maintenance
At level fourteen, you gain Regeneration as a Wizard spell, for obvious reasons.

Illven
2018-12-15, 01:15 AM
In the interest of being responsible.

Here's a class for Ninja Prawn.

Fey court stalker. (Rogue subclass)

You were left in the feywilds as a kid. Your long years among superpowerful magical entities of nature have made you rely on your quick wits.

Charming presence.

At 3rd level, you gain proficiency in Persuasion and Deception. The fey's honeyed words have taught you to tell mortals just what they want to hear.

Disorient

At 3rd level, during the first turn of combat, any creatures you strike with an attack, have disadvantage on attacks made against you during the first turn.

Blessings of the wild.

At 9th level, you gain immunity to the charmed condition, in addition when a creature attempts to charm you, you may as a reaction attempt to charm the target back, they must make a saving throw attempt against their own DC.

Healing balm

At 13th level, you have stolen from the flame of life, and use it's powers to prevent death. Once per long rest, if an attack would bring you down to 0 hp, you instead keep 1 hp.

Kiss of death

At 17th level you may use the powers of nature to poison a kiss you give the creature. Once a rest, make a melee attack that deals 15d6 poison damage, you regain half of that as you suck the lifeforce from the creature.

Ninja_Prawn
2018-12-15, 06:14 AM
You were left in the feywilds as a kid. Your long years among superpowerful magical entities of nature have made you rely on your quick wits.

Haha, awesome. Thank you!

I'd do one for you, but I already wrote a Love (http://mfov.magehandpress.com/2018/05/love-domain.html) cleric domain and Senpai (http://mfov.magehandpress.com/2018/07/senpai.html) warlock patron, so... :smalltongue: