PDA

View Full Version : Computer Into the Breach Final Achievement Story

Sermil
2018-12-12, 09:31 PM
If you don't play Into the Breach, you can probably just stop reading now.

Last night, I had one of those gaming experiences that was just SO COOL I had to brag about it somewhere, and since no-one else in my family plays this game, here I am.

So, there I am trying to get the very last achievement to unload the Secret Squad. Said very last achievement is Trick Shot, which is a Frozen Titan squad achievement: "Kill 3 enemies with a single shot from the Janus Cannon". For those who don't remember, the Janus Cannon fires two bullets - one forward, one backwards - so to kill 3 enemies, you've got to kill at least one that isn't being hit directly from the cannon. It's a push-and-damage, though, so the obvious way to get the achievement is to have the Vek in an arrangement like:
Vek-that-will-die-from-one-bullet some spaces Vek-that-will-die-from-one-bullet Vek-that-has-one-hitpoint-right-next-to-it
so that the last Vek dies from the collision damage.

But, this is a pretty rare arrangement, especially since by default the other Frozen Titans don't have push weapons, so the Vek need to line up like this naturally. I've been chasing this achievement for a while, and it's the only one that's eluded me to date.

I've also been trying to get the orange Hard victory ribbon for each squad. Frozen Titans is one of the two remaining unlocked squads without it, so I'm playing on Hard.

I'm on the final level (Defend the Renfield Bomb). Not going great, lost my carryover pilot to a stupid mistake a few levels ago, grid down below half, but I can still win this. And then it happens -- Vek space space Vek Vek. The perfect setup for a trick shot.

Only.... two of the Veks have too many hitpoints. I can burn a one-use bomb from the ranged guy plus a hit from my Aegis Mech to get them down to the HP I need, but that, plus the actual trick shot, is all my actions for the turn. And on the other side of the map, a boss is targeting the Bomb with an attack strong enough to kill it in a single hit.

If I go for the Trick Shot, I lose the timeline (and the hard victory ribbon). If I save the timeline, I lose my chance at the last achievement. Timeline or achievement? TIMELINE OR ACHIEVEMENT?

And then it hits me. I line up the trick shot, get the achievement -- and reset the turn. The achievement is still there, and I save the timeline.

And now I have my secret squad and my orange Hard victory ribbon :smallbiggrin: