PDA

View Full Version : Analysis Elan and xykon?

pyrefiend
2018-12-12, 09:40 PM
Ok, so this is a bit “out there.” But keep in mind, has anyone ever seen that xykon and elan have been in the same room or even spoken to each other for more than a panel or two? There is this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0113.html) infamous “symbol of pain panel” but that is hardly conclusive. I In fact honestly Elan is the party member who has the least OVERTLY to do with xykon the lich. Given the current direction of the story I think we are headed for some third-act reveals and I do not think the Elan-xykon connection can be ruled out of hand or dismissed without thinking it through. Ideas, thoughts, etc.?

Kish
2018-12-12, 09:42 PM
I like pie.

Caerulea
2018-12-12, 10:05 PM
Party member with the least to do about Xykon my foot! There is Belker, who motivations are pretty close "what is fun for me in this instant" and hints of long term planning. Plus, has anyone ever seen Belker and Xykon speaking to or near each other? Belker nearly comes right out and says he works for Xykon (520 anyone?) Elan doesn't know his lute from his vest, he isn't a secret agent.

Also, pie is nice. What kind? I prefer chocolate or apple myself.

woweedd
2018-12-12, 10:39 PM
Party member with the least to do about Xykon my foot! There is Belker, who motivations are pretty close "what is fun for me in this instant" and hints of long term planning. Plus, has anyone ever seen Belker and Xykon speaking to or near each other? Belker nearly comes right out and says he works for Xykon (520 anyone?) Elan doesn't know his lute from his vest, he isn't a secret agent.

How long did it take him to find out about the Gates, again?

Caerulea
2018-12-12, 11:31 PM
Who? ...............

denthor
2018-12-12, 11:35 PM

What gates?

woweedd
2018-12-12, 11:36 PM
Who? ...............
Belkar....

Darth Paul
2018-12-13, 03:34 AM
Ideas, thoughts, etc.?

Is there ever going to be an animated revival of Firefly? And if so, who would they get to do the voice for Shepherd Book, now that Ron Glass is no longer with us?

Riftwolf
2018-12-13, 03:38 AM
Isn't this what the Crack Pairing site is for?

Grey_Wolf_c
2018-12-13, 08:59 AM
Elan doesn't know his lute from his vest

How dare you besmirch the honor of Lutey, the Lute-tastical Lute and Armand Vestinghole (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1091.html) so?

This means rubber chickens at dawn!

Grey Wolf

Goblin_Priest
2018-12-13, 09:01 AM
What gates?

Yea, what gate? I don't see a gate.

NerdyKris
2018-12-13, 09:53 AM
Ok, so this is a bit “out there.” But keep in mind, has anyone ever seen that xykon and elan have been in the same room or even spoken to each other for more than a panel or two? There is this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0113.html) infamous “symbol of pain panel” but that is hardly conclusive. I In fact honestly Elan is the party member who has the least OVERTLY to do with xykon the lich. Given the current direction of the story I think we are headed for some third-act reveals and I do not think the Elan-xykon connection can be ruled out of hand or dismissed without thinking it through. Ideas, thoughts, etc.?

Your criteria applies to everyone in the party except Roy and Vaarsuvius. You also aren't really saying what the connection is aside from the fact that Xykon has only directly interacted with two of the six party members.

Ruck
2018-12-13, 12:57 PM
Your criteria applies to everyone in the party except Roy and Vaarsuvius. You also aren't really saying what the connection is aside from the fact that Xykon has only directly interacted with two of the six party members.

"There is literally no connection between these characters. Will this connection be explored?"

Peelee
2018-12-13, 01:02 PM
"There is literally no connection between these characters. Will this connection be explored?"

That's a pretty good commentary on the state of the forums sometimes.

zimmerwald1915
2018-12-13, 01:02 PM
"Will this connection be explored?"
Only among the Crack Pairings community.

Ruck
2018-12-13, 01:56 PM
Only among the Crack Pairings community.

I heard Tumblr was shutting that stuff down, though.

Caerulea
2018-12-13, 05:33 PM
How dare you besmirch the honor of Lutey, the Lute-tastical Lute and Armand Vestinghole (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1091.html) so?

This means rubber chickens at dawn!

Grey Wolf
Do you bite your thumb, good sir? I say, we shall battle now.

According to random.org, (https://www.random.org/) I have rolled a 16 for my blow with a rubber chicken. How do you respond?

pyrefiend
2018-12-13, 05:43 PM
Your criteria applies to everyone in the party except Roy and Vaarsuvius.

Elan is also the only other male human in the party. But, clearly, I would not say that that is the only connection... Or the most important

thelivingmonkey
2018-12-13, 06:26 PM
WAIT GUYS I HAVE A GROUDBREAKING THEORY

WE NEVER HAVE SEEN LEEKY AND MINRAH IN THE SAME ROOM

THEREFORE THEY ARE THE SAME PERSON

Sorry to be rude this is just kinda ridiculous in my mind. Would not be surprised if this is a troll.

Kish
2018-12-13, 06:32 PM
Right now I'm thinking of key lime pie.

zimmerwald1915
2018-12-13, 06:33 PM
Right now I'm thinking of key lime pie.
Are. . . are you OK? :smalleek:

Caerulea
2018-12-13, 06:34 PM

THEREFORE THEY ARE THE SAME PERSON.
That is clearly ridiculous. Minrah is obviously Miko (they both start with m), reincarnated as a dwarf by Leek Windstaff before he signed with The Linear Guild. To suggest otherwise is madness.

zimmerwald1915
2018-12-13, 06:35 PM
That is clearly ridiculous. Minrah is obviously Miko (they both start with m), reincarnated as a dwarf by Leek Windstaff before he signed with The Linear Guild. To suggest otherwise is madness.
Leeky is a time traveler?

Caerulea
2018-12-13, 06:37 PM
Leeky is a time traveler?
He existed before he signed up with them. I mean, since he and Xykon are friends, they probably posses the magics necessary to travel back in time, but I don't think it is necessary for this explanation. (Why the dwarves hate trees on the other hand...)

Kish
2018-12-13, 06:40 PM
He existed before he signed up with them. I mean, since he and Xykon are friends, they probably posses the magics necessary to travel back in time, but I don't think it is necessary for this explanation. (Why the dwarves hate trees on the other hand...)
But Miko wasn't dead until after Leeky had joined the Linear Guild (and parted ways with them, for that matter).

Peelee
2018-12-13, 06:40 PM
Are. . . are you OK? :smalleek:

You more of a lemon meringue fan?

Caerulea
2018-12-13, 06:41 PM
But Miko wasn't dead until after Leeky had joined the Linear Guild (and parted ways with them, for that matter).
Oh, I forgot. In that case, sure. Or not. The theory works either way. Maybe Minrah is sent back in time by Thor at some point.

Yendor
2018-12-13, 06:43 PM
Do you bite your thumb, good sir? I say, we shall battle now.

:thog: thog don't know if thog even has thumbs.

zimmerwald1915
2018-12-13, 06:47 PM
You more of a lemon meringue fan?
Key lime pie is the flavor you taste just before you die.

Caerulea
:thog: thog don't know if thog even has thumbs.
:thog: thog not get references. ​(388)

goodpeople25

THEREFORE THEY ARE THE SAME PERSON

Sorry to be rude this is just kinda ridiculous in my mind. Would not be surprised if this is a troll.
But Leeky is just off-panel with the other totally recurring villains having a super special awesome struggle with the characters (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=23569269&postcount=14) who totally joined the Order of the Stick. Yes I know there's possible overlap so there would be two Crystals, Mikos or whoever, That just sums up the ridiculous for me.

Also what did Groud ever do to you? I don't know the guy but I doubt he deserves to be broken. :smallbiggrin:

Peelee
2018-12-13, 07:28 PM
Key lime pie is the flavor you taste just before you die.

Mucho appreciado. I now share your concern for Kish.

Kish
2018-12-13, 07:42 PM
I promise, you're never likely to catch me referencing Erfworld.

woweedd
2018-12-13, 08:00 PM
I promise, you're never likely to catch me referencing Erfworld.
You have a problem with Erfworld?

Peelee
2018-12-13, 08:09 PM

Lack of lemon meringue references is my guess.

RatElemental
2018-12-13, 08:31 PM
I have a bit of a love hate relationship with Erfworld. It started out as a neat little comic with a fish out of water vibe to it with lots of interesting mechanics to learn about and turned into a novel about mind reading wizards wanting to assassinate the wizard of oz or something.

At least it's still less ridiculous than Elan being Xykon.

Kish
2018-12-13, 08:40 PM
Let me put it this way: Occasionally, I say that I don't understand why someone who isn't enjoying OotS doesn't stop reading it. I say that that's what I've done, when it became clear that webcomics had default assumptions that made them unappealing to me.

Erfworld has long been my example.

(Specifically, I find Parson's personality and moral sense entirely repulsive, and at the time I quit, the comic had only gone steadily further into "you're supposed to love and identify with this guy" territory. Glibly summing up the Wizard of Oz as "How did Dorothy get home? Short answer? By killing" was fine when I thought the author agreed with it as much as Shakespeare agreed with "kill all the lawyers.")

woweedd
2018-12-13, 09:48 PM
Let me put it this way: Occasionally, I say that I don't understand why someone who isn't enjoying OotS doesn't stop reading it. I say that that's what I've done, when it became clear that webcomics had default assumptions that made them unappealing to me.

Erfworld has long been my example.

(Specifically, I find Parson's personality and moral sense entirely repulsive, and at the time I quit, the comic had only gone steadily further into "you're supposed to love and identify with this guy" territory. Glibly summing up the Wizard of Oz as "How did Dorothy get home? Short answer? By killing" was fine when I thought the author agreed with it as much as Shakespeare agreed with "kill all the lawyers.")
I mean, I may be mistaken, but if I remember correctly, the story hasn't really been about Parason ever since the end of Book 1. Also, I never got the sense we were supposed to root for this guy. Identify with? Maybe. Root for? Not really. He's playing the bad guy, and he's aware of it. Eh, different strokes.

Jasdoif
2018-12-13, 09:51 PM
I have a bit of a love hate relationship with Erfworld. It started out as a neat little comic with a fish out of water vibe to it with lots of interesting mechanics to learn about and turned into a novel about mind reading wizards wanting to assassinate the wizard of oz or something.

At least it's still less ridiculous than Elan being Xykon.Maybe before Erfworld turned into a game of "deus ex machina to negate the previous deus ex machina". Actually wait, it'd have to be before that; the first deus ex machina in that series flatly tossed aside the antagonist successfully achieving the goal he'd been working on for the past book-and-a-half.

Ruck
2018-12-14, 01:32 AM
Glibly summing up the Wizard of Oz as "How did Dorothy get home? Short answer? By killing" was fine when I thought the author agreed with it as much as Shakespeare agreed with "kill all the lawyers.")

This reminds me of one of my favorite exchanges from NewsRadio:

BETH: My parents let me watch The Wizard of Oz when I was five, and it gave me nightmares.
LISA: Oh, right. The Wicked Witch.
BETH: No, Dorothy. For years I was convinced that a house was gonna fall out of the sky and crush me, and that some farm girl was gonna come along and steal my flashy red shoes.

b_jonas
2018-12-14, 02:55 AM
Indeed, before they met in #900 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0900.html), it was a popular fan theory that Xykon was actually Elan, with one or both of them using costumes and illusion spells to mask their appearance. So much that the question even got to Rich's ears, and specifically denied that theory on Twitter in 2015 (https://twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/649913211521794048).

thelivingmonkey
2018-12-14, 08:32 AM
But Leeky is just off-panel with the other totally recurring villains having a super special awesome struggle with the characters (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=23569269&postcount=14) who totally joined the Order of the Stick. Yes I know there's possible overlap so there would be two Crystals, Mikos or whoever, That just sums up the ridiculous for me.

Also what did Groud ever do to you? I don't know the guy but I doubt he deserves to be broken. :smallbiggrin:

Oh yeah my bad.

Yeah I'm sorry it was just a joke...

Peelee
2018-12-14, 09:07 AM
This reminds me of one of my favorite exchanges from NewsRadio:

Dang I miss that show. Bill and Jimmy James were the best.

zimmerwald1915
2018-12-14, 09:13 AM
You mean to say Shakespeare didn't really endorse the liquidation of the parasitic petit-bourgeoisie, of which he himself was a member? But simply put those words in the mouth of a character who might - who was feeling exploited and abused by his superiors, who was fighting their wars for their benefit and not his own?

Color me shocked.

(Also, any modern-day Jacks Cade and ***** the Butcher, please feel free to kill all the lawyers - on the condition that you then build a non-obscurantist society where we are not necessary.)

woweedd
2018-12-14, 09:25 AM
You mean to say Shakespeare didn't really endorse the liquidation of the parasitic petit-bourgeoisie, of which he himself was a member? But simply put those words in the mouth of a character who might - who was feeling exploited and abused by his superiors, who was fighting their wars for their benefit and not his own?

Color me shocked.

(Also, any modern-day Jacks Cade and ***** the Butcher, please feel free to kill all the lawyers - on the condition that you then build a non-obscurantist society where we are not necessary.)

Lawyers: Lawful Neutral in action, Lawful Good in intent. Never thought i'd say this, but you get a bad rep.

EmperorSarda
2018-12-14, 09:32 AM
Indeed, before they met in #900 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0900.html), it was a popular fan theory that Xykon was actually Elan, with one or both of them using costumes and illusion spells to mask their appearance. So much that the question even got to Rich's ears, and specifically denied that theory on Twitter in 2015 (https://twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/649913211521794048).

Umm, that is a JK Rowling saying that Dumbledore is not a time traveling Ron Weasley.

Grey_Wolf_c
2018-12-14, 10:58 AM
Umm, that is a JK Rowling saying that Dumbledore is not a time traveling Ron Weasley.

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/992/401/e37.png

Grey Wolf

Ruck
2018-12-14, 11:56 AM
Wait, so Dumbledore is Xykon?

zimmerwald1915
2018-12-14, 11:58 AM
Wait, so Dumbledore is Xykon?
Couldn't be. Xykon is from modern Earth, and Dumbledore died in 1996.

Lord Torath
2018-12-14, 12:22 PM
Ok, so this is a bit “out there.” But keep in mind, has anyone ever seen that xykon and elan have been in the same room or even spoken to each other for more than a panel or two? There is this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0113.html) infamous “symbol of pain panel” but that is hardly conclusive. I In fact honestly Elan is the party member who has the least OVERTLY to do with xykon the lich. Given the current direction of the story I think we are headed for some third-act reveals and I do not think the Elan-xykon connection can be ruled out of hand or dismissed without thinking it through. Ideas, thoughts, etc.?The epileptic trees are really sneezing today.

I rather like both Key Lime and Lemon Meringue pies. French Silk is pretty good to. Still can't beat a good Warm Apple Pie ala mode. Although mentioning meringue makes me think of a Baked Alaska. Those are pretty good, too!

Grey_Wolf_c
2018-12-14, 12:28 PM
Still can't beat a good Warm Apple Pie ala mode

My child recently learnt the word for "apple pie". Heck if I know were from, since we've never had one in the house since they came into our lives - but they are absolutely convinced they like it and want some. We've promised to buy one, and here's hoping they will like it, because I usually can't stand them (due to texture, rather than flavour), but I hate throwing away food more than I dislike them.

Grey Wolf

Peelee
2018-12-14, 12:33 PM
My child recently learnt the word for "apple pie". Heck if I know were from, since we've never had one in the house since they came into our lives
Why would you do that to your child?

I usually can't stand them (due to texture, rather than flavour), but I hate throwing away food more than I dislike them.

Grey Wolf
Oh.

Peach, maybe? And obviously lemon meringue, since that it the finest pie that piecrafters have yet made.

Ruck
2018-12-14, 12:42 PM
Dang I miss that show. Bill and Jimmy James were the best.

Yeah, it's one of my all-time favorites. Bill and Jimmy were two of the best characters ever created for TV.

Peelee
2018-12-14, 12:56 PM
Yeah, it's one of my all-time favorites. Bill and Jimmy were two of the best characters ever created for TV.

The actors definitely helped. I've never seen Stephen Root or Phil Hartman not knock it out of the park.

Grey_Wolf_c
2018-12-14, 01:18 PM
Why would you do that to your child?

We have been limiting their sugar intake in general; it's only been recently that we have started bringing the more unhealthy side of cooking into the house (or making our own). It's hard enough to get them to eat healthy - getting them to eat healthy when there is unhealthy options lying around is just setting myself up for failure.

Grey Wolf

Peelee
2018-12-14, 01:26 PM
We have been limiting their sugar intake in general; it's only been recently that we have started bringing the more unhealthy side of cooking into the house (or making our own). It's hard enough to get them to eat healthy - getting them to eat healthy when there is unhealthy options lying around is just setting myself up for failure.

Grey Wolf

Well look at you and spouse (i assume) being all "oooo, let's practice good parenting." Child will still be raised by a wolf, I say!

zimmerwald1915
2018-12-14, 01:28 PM
Child will still be raised by a wolf, I say!
Perhaps she will go on to found an empire?

Peelee
2018-12-14, 01:30 PM
Perhaps she will go on to found an empire?

The key is to be good at engineering, and steal all the other sciences from the Greeks.

SilverCacaobean
2018-12-14, 01:45 PM
https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/992/401/e37.png

Grey Wolf

To be fair, I also kept staring at that tweet with a stupid confused look on my face for quite some time before I realised it was a joke. If I was more of a trigger happy poster and had gotten here before EmperorSarda, I'd have posted the same thing as him...

I mean, I'm not trying to say I'm not stupid, but what b_jonas said is so plausible for this forum that I'm also genuinely surprised it's a joke.

Ruck
2018-12-14, 03:42 PM
The actors definitely helped. I've never seen Stephen Root or Phil Hartman not knock it out of the park.

Never, not once. National treasures, they are.

ti'esar
2018-12-15, 03:20 AM
TBH, this isn't actually out-there enough by the standards of out-there theories on this forum. It feels like it's falling in the vague middle ground between "the party actually IS controlled by giant space cats" and "Miron is Geoff's simulacrum". Bring back "Baron Pineapple was a time-traveling Belkar" and then we can talk.

(Also, I have to say that as someone who gave up on Erfworld a LONG time ago, I still have an easier time believing Kish was referencing it than that he genuinely likes key lime pie. :smallyuk:)

Potatopeelerkin
2018-12-15, 06:02 AM
Elan / Xykon will be the true endgame pairing, mark my words.

But what should it be called? Skeletune? Bonejo? Xyklan or Elkon seems too boring.

I don't even like shipping, and I'm totally on board with this.

Emanick
2018-12-15, 01:19 PM

But what should it be called? Skeletune? Bonejo? Xyklan or Elkon seems too boring.

I like Bonejo.

Caerulea
2018-12-15, 11:05 PM

Definitely Bonejo.

martianmister
2018-12-15, 11:42 PM

I'll go with Xyklan.

Flying Turtle
2018-12-16, 06:05 PM
I'll go with Xyklan.

That sounds like somethin you'd use to treat a particularly persistent rash.

Mariele
2018-12-17, 02:27 AM
That sounds like somethin you'd use to treat a particularly persistent rash.
Which is exactly what this pairing should be.

Brumagris
2018-12-21, 01:53 AM
well, obviously, Elan IS Xykon.

And in a dramatic turn of events, Haley is Redcloack's niece. And they will marry at the end of the comic

martianmister
2018-12-24, 12:56 PM
well, obviously, Elan IS Xykon.

And in a dramatic turn of events, Haley is Redcloack's niece. And they will marry at the end of the comic

So, Ian is Right-Eye?

zimmerwald1915
2018-12-24, 02:45 PM
So, Ian is Right-Eye?
Does that make Geoff Redcloak? And Haley Redcloak's niece?

Caerulea
2018-12-24, 03:26 PM
Does that make Geoff Redcloak? And Haley Redcloak's niece?
You might want to look up.

And in a dramatic turn of events, Haley is Redcloack's niece.

Haluesen
2018-12-24, 04:30 PM

I also like Bonejo.

Quild
2018-12-27, 07:48 AM
Oh, I forgot. In that case, sure. Or not. The theory works either way. Maybe Minrah is sent back in time by Thor at some point.

Makes a Knowledge (Norse Mythology) Check

Thor actually sent Jörmungandr back in time at some point, so he could do the same to Minrah. They seem to go along pretty well.

Riftwolf
2018-12-27, 08:56 AM
Is Jormungand(r?) covered in Deities and Demigods? Or Nidhogg, or that tattle-tale squirrel? I think Minrah is established as canonically all three, if you understand the subtext. Apart from all the problems with this idea, it's a perfect fit!

Peelee
2018-12-27, 09:06 AM
Makes a Knowledge (Norse Mythology) Check

Makes a Craft (Basket Weaving) Check

Yes, Thor could absolutely do that.

Riftwolf
2018-12-27, 10:45 AM
Makes a Craft (Basket Weaving) Check

Yes, Thor could absolutely do that.

What was the DC to craft a basket that could make a Knowledge check?
And is it much higher to make a basket that can make a *successful* Knowledge check?

2D8HP
2018-12-27, 11:08 AM

Why do you bluetext this perfectly, viable, well thought idea?

(And yes Bonejo is the way to go!

Rich: Please! Please! Please! Make it happen! Be gentle with Haley though)

Peelee
2018-12-27, 12:07 PM
What was the DC to craft a basket that could make a Knowledge check?
And is it much higher to make a basket that can make a *successful* Knowledge check?

The same DC that a Knowledge (Norse Mythology) check has as it pertains to OOTS Thor.

Kish
2018-12-27, 12:08 PM
Where does a Knowledge (DC Comics) check come in, then?

The correct answer is "the same place as the Basketweaving check"; Thor is a Marvel character, not DC.

Peelee
2018-12-27, 12:12 PM
Where does a Knowledge (DC Comics) check come in, then?

I can't wait for the Captain Marvel (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Marvel_(DC_Comics)) movie to come out!

Quild
2018-12-27, 02:44 PM
The same DC that a Knowledge (Norse Mythology) check has as it pertains to OOTS Thor.

Since no one made the remark, I'm forced to say that my Knowledge Check was a reference to the game God of War. Which, while being qyute good, is probably not a perfect source of information regarding Norse Mythology.

I can't wait for the Captain Marvel (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Marvel_(DC_Comics)) movie to come out!

I wish they'd call it that rather than Shazam!
And that they gave it the same release date that Marvel's Captain Marvel.
These people clearly have no sense of humor.

Peelee
2018-12-27, 02:59 PM
Since no one made the remark, I'm forced to say that my Knowledge Check was a reference to the game God of War. Which, while being qyute good, is probably not a perfect source of information regarding Norse Mythology.
Ah. Never played the game.

I wish they'd call it that rather than Shazam!
And that they gave it the same release date that Marvel's Captain Marvel.
These people clearly have no sense of humor.
Seconded on all counts! Though they probably have smart lawyers.

martianmister
2019-01-03, 09:16 PM
I always find it hilarious that DC is promoting a character they destroyed back then.