PDA

View Full Version : Rule of Spiritual Weapom

KyleG
2018-12-13, 03:07 AM
Can i melee attack and bonus attack using the spiritual weapon that was bought out by BA last turn?

DeadMech
2018-12-13, 03:37 AM
Nothing stop you from making a melee attack on the same round as you use a bonus action to control the spiritual weapon.

Oh and just cause your phrasing seems a bit unclear. I don't believe you can wield the spiritual weapon to use as part of your melee attack. I don't think that was what you were asking but just in case. I mean nothing outright says you can't but that might get a bit silly. Especially upcast.

Malifice
2018-12-13, 04:00 AM
I thought the first rule of Spiritual Weapon was you cant talk about Spiritual weapon.

KyleG
2018-12-13, 04:38 AM
I thought the first rule of Spiritual Weapon was you cant talk about Spiritual weapon.

Possible. Too green to know.

What about a spell as an attack. The spiritual weapon was already cast so its not casting as my bonus action as such.

ShirAhn
2018-12-13, 04:59 AM
Can i melee attack and bonus attack using the spiritual weapon that was brought out by BA last turn?

As Deadman stated, yes you can! Spiritual Weapon uses your bonus action only. So you are free to do with you action as you wish. Remember! Spiritual Weapon does not require concentration so it stays up even if you go down!

It's one of the most powerful ways to use your bonus action for damage (I use it on my divine sorcerer and it always comes out round 1 if the fight requires it). Mine is shaped like an angelic sword, but I have friends who use a giant dildo featuring the face of Nickolas Cage (yes, its that kind of group).

DarkKnightJin
2018-12-13, 05:21 AM
Nothing stop you from making a melee attack on the same round as you use a bonus action to control the spiritual weapon.

Oh and just cause your phrasing seems a bit unclear. I don't believe you can wield the spiritual weapon to use as part of your melee attack. I don't think that was what you were asking but just in case. I mean nothing outright says you can't but that might get a bit silly. Especially upcast.

If the PC in question isn't wielding a weapon in their hand when they attack with the Spiritual Weapon, and it is within a decent range to 'grab'.. I'd allow them to wield the weapon as part of the flavor for the spell. They would be left with only non-weapon attacks, and no OA's if the enemy leaves their melee range. Unless they want to smack em with a fist for 1+Str, I suppose.

..I might do something like this for fun. Leave my Cleric without his shield, but 'wielding' a spectral copy of his Frost Brand Longsword in the off-hand.
Sounds like it could be epic and cinematic.

Laserlight
2018-12-13, 06:52 AM
Generally I cast Spiritual Weapon (and get the ghost of the ancestral holy blade from my previous incarnation), attack with it per the spell, and attack with Booming Blade as my action. SW is a bonus action spell, BB is an action cantrip, so that qualifies for the "can I cast two spells in a turn".

KyleG
2018-12-13, 09:02 AM
Thanks all. I'll discuss with the dm and hopefully get a change to future decisions

darknite
2018-12-13, 09:04 AM
My War Cleric does that all the time.