PDA

View Full Version : Hilarity

Angelalex242
2018-12-13, 03:22 AM
So, today, in my AL game, we were playing an Astral Adventure against the Githyanki.

One of them was riding a Red Dragon.

So, the red dragon was double dashing after us while we were on a skif. The Githyanki Knight teleported off to hack us with his sword, while the dragon continued to double dash after us.

So the Wizard put a Wall of Force in front of the dashing red dragon.

George, george, george of the jungle watch out for that....treeee!

Picture this red dragon, who woke up in the morning with a perfectly normal face...becoming a pug faced red dragon after encountering a wall of force at full speed. With his tongue hanging out to one side.

This poor Red Dragon roasted us in retribution, but we had anti fire measures...and then the wizard banished him from the Astral Plane, back to Faerun. Where he was held by the Wizard's concentration...

So he crashed into the ground. Face first. .oO(Tiamat damnit not agaaaaaaaaaiiiiin!!!!!)

The dragon was now out of combat and in his home plane, so he couldn't return to get revenge.

Malifice
2018-12-13, 04:26 AM
Whats a 'double dash'?

Adult red dragon has Charisma save of +11 and 3/ LR. Sucks to be the dragon.

Out of curiosuty what 'item distatesful to the target' did the caster pull out to Banish the dragon (what M component did he use)?

kamap
2018-12-13, 05:47 AM
Whats a 'double dash'?

Adult red dragon has Charisma save of +11 and 3/ LR. Sucks to be the dragon.

Out of curiosuty what 'item distatesful to the target' did the caster pull out to Banish the dragon (what M component did he use)?

Indeed sucks to be that dragon.
Doesn't matter there is no cost specified the arcane focus or component pouch solves that problem.

Malifice
2018-12-13, 06:51 AM
Doesn't matter there is no cost specified the arcane focus or component pouch solves that problem.

The component pouch only solves the problem if your DM is of the view that it somehow contains NI different objects each of which is anathema to a different creature.

Elistan
2018-12-13, 06:54 AM

Of course it matters. Malifice specifically said "out of curiosity." He didn't say "it's impossible that you fulfilled that requirement for the M component for the spell." He was just asking what the descriptive was for the component used.

Laserlight
2018-12-13, 07:03 AM
PHB: Casting some spells requires particular objects, specified in parentheses in the component entry. A character can use a component pouch or a spellcasting focus (found in “Equipment”) IN PLACE OF the components specified for a spell.

And to OP, well done. Reminds me of the time a dragon attacked our airship, did half our HP with its breath, then carelessly got within Polymorph range. "You're a carp. Oh, and your saving throw is a 4, from Portents. How far do you fall?"

kamap
2018-12-13, 07:14 AM
There might not have been any description about what M component was used, there might have been if that is the case I'd like to know aswell but most of the times the spell just happens and nothing more about it is described.

Malifice
2018-12-13, 09:58 AM
PHB: Casting some spells requires particular objects, specified in parentheses in the component entry. A character can use a component pouch or a spellcasting focus (found in “Equipment”) IN PLACE OF the components specified for a spell.

And to OP, well done. Reminds me of the time a dragon attacked our airship, did half our HP with its breath, then carelessly got within Polymorph range. "You're a carp. Oh, and your saving throw is a 4, from Portents. How far do you fall?"

Youre not waving the pouch at them mate. You're using it to hold the spell components.

And unless one is lugging around 1 distasteful item per creature in existence, that pouch only holds so much.

Im just curious as to whether the caster in the example actually had such an item.

Dungeon-noob
2018-12-13, 10:12 AM
Youre not waving the pouch at them mate. You're using it to hold the spell components.

And unless one is lugging around 1 distasteful item per creature in existence, that pouch only holds so much.

Im just curious as to whether the caster in the example actually had such an item.
OR a spellcasting focus instead of the material components, if i'm reading that right? Wouldn't that mean that if you have a spellcasting focus, no M components required?

Malifice
2018-12-13, 10:44 AM
OR a spellcasting focus instead of the material components, if i'm reading that right? Wouldn't that mean that if you have a spellcasting focus, no M components required?

Yeah, a staff or wand will do it.

I was just curious what the caster used in this instance.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-12-13, 10:53 AM
Yeah, a staff or wand will do it.

I was just curious what the caster used in this instance.

For a red dragon, I'm thinking salad.

Malifice
2018-12-13, 11:13 AM
For a red dragon, I'm thinking salad.

I'd not only allow it IMG, but I'd hand out inspiration if you tried.

Laserlight
2018-12-13, 11:23 AM
You're not waving the pouch at them mate. You're using it to hold the spell components.

You're using the pouch, or arcane focus, in place of the spell components, per PHB 203. There's no need for a specific component unless it has a cost.

If I were doing it just for color, I'd wave an obviously counterfeit gold coin.

Malifice
2018-12-13, 11:31 AM
You're using the pouch, or arcane focus, in place of the spell components, per PHB 203. There's no need for a specific component unless it has a cost.

If I were doing it just for color, I'd wave an obviously counterfeit gold coin.

You dont use the pouch itself. You use the contents of the pouch. It is presumed to carry enough bat guano, silver rods, bit of dried leather, dead fireflys, sand, rose petals etc to cast your spells.

But the pouch cant hold 1 of every kind of item anathema to every single creature in existence. That's not possible.

If you're relying on a spell component pouch to cast that spell, a DM has every right to ask what you're using as your anathema.

It's a fair enough question for a DM to ask.

iTreeby
2018-12-13, 11:43 AM
You dont use the pouch itself. You use the contents of the pouch. It is presumed to carry enough bat guano, silver rods, bit of dried leather, dead fireflys, sand, rose petals etc to cast your spells.

But the pouch cant hold 1 of every kind of item anathema to every single creature in existence. That's not possible.

If you're relying on a spell component pouch to cast that spell, a DM has every right to ask what you're using as your anathema.

It's a fair enough question for a DM to ask.

It's obvious that is what the fluff behind the rule is but it's not something I've seem enforced as much as say, tracking ammunition. I think banishing the dragon may have been more fun in that game and situation than tracking materials in a component pouch. Some possible material I could see would be a wood coin, some ice that doesn't melt (for whatever reason, this would be helpful for many spells) , a small piece of paper with a curse word in draconic, or possibly a small ritual dagger (also known as an anethma). There are justifications for why any of these could work. The dagger could possibly work for every creature.

Malifice
2018-12-13, 11:50 AM
It's obvious that is what the fluff behind the rule is but it's not something I've seem enforced as much as say, tracking ammunition. I think banishing the dragon may have been more fun in that game and situation than tracking materials in a component pouch. Some possible material I could see would be a wood coin, some ice that doesn't melt (for whatever reason, this would be helpful for many spells) , a small piece of paper with a curse word in draconic, or possibly a small ritual dagger (also known as an anethma). There are justifications for why any of these could work. The dagger could possibly work for every creature.

I'd more ask as a test of player creativity and foresight.

A swift and brilliant response gets awarded inspiration (or maybe even disdvantage on the creatures save).

iTreeby
2018-12-13, 11:52 AM
I'd more ask as a test of player creativity and foresight.

A swift and brilliant response gets awarded inspiration (or maybe even disdvantage on the creatures save).

In that case, how do my answers rate? These sort of details can breath life into a game

Malifice
2018-12-13, 11:59 AM
In that case, how do my answers rate? These sort of details can breath life into a game

Not bad at all.

If you had taken the time in an earlier session to actually locate some of that stuff (in the advance knowledge that Githayanki could be coming up with Red Dragon mounts) Id definately award disadvantage on the save.

Ditto some kind of reminder of the Gith servitude to the Illithids if used as their anathema.

Angelalex242
2018-12-13, 01:23 PM
The group was having more fun laughing their asses off at a dragon going splat and ending up a pug nosed dragon, and then crashing face first into the ground on the prime material plane, than we were exactly what spell component to use.

Basically, a dragon being subjected to slapstick pratfalls is the fun part here :smallbiggrin:

Dimers
2018-12-13, 10:46 PM
possibly a small ritual dagger (also known as an anethma).

I think you're thinking of "athame", not "anathema".

iTreeby
2018-12-14, 12:39 AM
I think you're thinking of "athame", not "anathema".
Yeap. Words are hard sometimes.