PDA

View Full Version : Analysis So Minrah is going to be joining the Order

Quartz
2018-12-13, 05:56 AM
And I am pleased. She's an interesting character in her own right.

Presumably this will be modelled by Durkon gaining the Leadership feat and Minrah will become his cohort.

Caerulea
2018-12-13, 06:54 AM
I don't feel like she will join the Order, in the same way that Miko was not a member of the Order. She will likely travel with them for some while, or stay back to manege some other issue that comes up.

Fyraltari
2018-12-13, 06:57 AM
I'm still thinking some vampires will escape and keep infesting Firmament/the Dwarven Lands. I could see Minrah deciding to stay and hunt them.

Quartz
2018-12-13, 07:51 AM
I'm still thinking some vampires will escape and keep infesting Firmament/the Dwarven Lands. I could see Minrah deciding to stay and hunt them.

Minrah's reason for wanting to return to life is the Snarl so that doesn't make sense.

Fyraltari
2018-12-13, 08:06 AM
Minrah's reason for wanting to return to life is the Snarl so that doesn't make sense.

You are right.

Borris
2018-12-13, 08:11 AM
I still don't think she will join the Order anymore than Bandana or Ian Starshine did. She simply doesn't have the level to survive the threats the Order is facing nowadays.

hroşila
2018-12-13, 08:19 AM
The Snarl is part of it; another important reason is "there's so much stuff I still want to do, potentially". Besides, it could be that the best way for her to help with the Snarl thing would be to stay and take care of any lingering vampire problems so that the Order can move on to the next objective. Who knows?

Grey_Wolf_c
2018-12-13, 08:37 AM
Who knows?

Rich. Rich knows. But the bastard ain't telling. OK, he is, but only one page at a time. So I suppose we'll get there, when the time is right.

Grey Wolf

Goblin_Priest
2018-12-13, 08:41 AM
Rich. Rich knows. But the bastard ain't telling. OK, he is, but only one page at a time. SO I suppose we'll get there, when the time is right.

Grey Wolf

What, you don't think Rich is one of these people that would go "okay, when the time comes, I'll resolve that plot point by rolling the dice" for random loot to see if it includes diamonds? :P

Cirin
2018-12-13, 08:43 AM

Presumably this will be modelled by Durkon gaining the Leadership feat and Minrah will become his cohort.

That was also my interpretation of the events into game rules. . .Durkon's getting a cohort.

All it will take to bring Minrah back is a Raise Dead, that's cheap and quick compared to Resurrection.

Cleric with Cleric cohort? I'm now thinking of the "Go Team Cleric" from Comic 77.

zimmerwald1915
2018-12-13, 01:13 PM

To be fair, Leadership does and Cohorts do exist in this comic. Leeky proposes becoming his cohort to Pompey.

But between the Order members and the various third parties with whom they have relationships? Never a hint. Even among the animal sidekicks, Blackwing is the only one whose relationship to his partner is defined mechanically - and that was because it was so defined in the earliest of early strips, before D&D elements got downplayed. It is only forum speculation that Mister Scruffy or Bloodfeast is Belkar's Animal Companion.

So I rather doubt it.

Also, Minrah is probably going to stick around Dwarven lands rather than accompanying the Order to the Pole. She can play a role in the Dwarven Lands by cluing the rest of the Church of Thor (and possibly High Priestess Rubyrock) in on what she knows, but about the only thing she can do at the Pole is die even faster to one of Xykon's or Redcloak's spells than she did to Hilgya's flame strike.

woweedd
2018-12-13, 01:28 PM
To be fair, Leadership does and Cohorts do exist in this comic. Leeky proposes becoming his cohort to Pompey.

But between the Order members and the various third parties with whom they have relationships? Never a hint. Even among the animal sidekicks, Blackwing is the only one whose relationship to his partner is defined mechanically - and that was because it was so defined in the earliest of early strips, before D&D elements got downplayed. It is only forum speculation that Mister Scruffy or Bloodfeast is Belkar's Animal Companion.

So I rather doubt it.

Also, Minrah is probably going to stick around Dwarven lands rather than accompanying the Order to the Pole. She can play a role in the Dwarven Lands by cluing the rest of the Church of Thor (and possibly High Priestess Rubyrock) in on what she knows, but about the only thing she can do at the Pole is die even faster to one of Xykon's or Redcloak's spells than she did to Hilgya's flame strike.
Fairly supported forum speculation, granted.

Rrmcklin
2018-12-13, 02:42 PM

So interesting that you got this conclusion out of nowhere. Because nothing in what the two said to each other implies this at all.

She might do something fairly important (or not). But that's a far cry away from her joining the Order.

EyethatBinds
2018-12-13, 03:42 PM
She might, do something fairly important (or not). But that's a far cry away from her joining the Order.

Didn't anyone tell you? Anyone who allies with the Stick crew is immediately assumed to be joining the team permanently. That's why Miko, Hinjo, Diago, Yikyik, Celia, Roy's Archon, Lien, Thahn, Therkla, Crystal, O'Chul, Bandana, and Helga all joined the order when they did. I assume they're just off panel most of the time.

hroşila
2018-12-13, 04:01 PM
Rich. Rich knows. But the bastard ain't telling. OK, he is, but only one page at a time. So I suppose we'll get there, when the time is right.

Grey Wolf
I wouldn't rule out Jasdoif knowing somehow.

HerbieRAI
2018-12-13, 04:51 PM
I assume she will stay behind in Dwarven lands and become a new "adventuring team", with the rest of the members to be determined.

The Giant has done this before With Hinjo, Diago, and the Azurites then again in the west with the bounty hunters and Haley's familiy.

KorvinStarmast
2018-12-13, 04:59 PM
Anyone who allies with the Stick crew is immediately assumed to be joining the team permanently. That's why Miko, Hinjo, Diago, Yikyik, Celia, Roy's Archon, Lien, Thahn, Therkla, Crystal, O'Chul, Bandana, and Helga all joined the order when they did. I assume they're just off panel most of the time.
1. Who's Helga?
2. Therkla and Miko are permanently off screen, as is Thahn. :smalleek:

I assume she will stay behind in Dwarven lands and become a new "adventuring team", with the rest of the members to be determined. The Giant has done this before With Hinjo, Diago, and the Azurites then again in the west with the bounty hunters and Haley's familiy. I'll drop a small wager in Vegas in support of this prediction. Is anyone taking action on it?

Jasdoif
2018-12-13, 05:17 PM
I wouldn't rule out Jasdoif knowing somehow.What?

You mean like how Minrah knows as much as Durkon with regards to what Thor would like Redcloak to do; so when Redcloak doesn't trust Durkon's sending, because Durkon is an observed (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0111.html) goblin killer (who isn't Redcloak), Minrah will step up her game and convince Redcloak that the world is worth saving....Supporting Roy's decision to accept (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1099.html) her underleveled help and, by extension, the notion that we shouldn't reject unlikely helpers out of hand because we're never completely sure what kind of assistance they can offer that we could end up needing?
That's just crazy talk. :smalltongue:

Caerulea
2018-12-13, 05:28 PM
What?

You mean like how Minrah knows as much as Durkon with regards to what Thor would like Redcloak to do; so when Redcloak doesn't trust Durkon's sending, because Durkon is an observed (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0111.html) goblin killer (who isn't Redcloak), Minrah will step up her game and convince Redcloak that the world is worth saving....Supporting Roy's decision to accept (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1099.html) her underleveled help and, by extension, the notion that we shouldn't reject unlikely helpers out of hand because we're never completely sure what kind of assistance they can offer that we could end up needing?
That's just crazy talk. :smalltongue:
Amazing. I'll wager a cookie on this.

Peelee
2018-12-13, 05:44 PM
Amazing. I'll wager a cookie on this.

You're on! Chocolate chunk.

Ruck
2018-12-13, 05:58 PM
1. Who's Helga?
2. Therkla and Miko are permanently off screen, as is Thahn. :smalleek:

Well, as long as we're going this direction, I might as well mention that not only is it "Hilgya," but it's also "Daigo" and "Thanh."

Riftwolf
2018-12-13, 10:22 PM
1. Who's Helga?

Quick! First one to link a comic with an unnamed character who looks like a Helga gets... Um... Kudos? Maybe props.

The MunchKING
2018-12-13, 10:33 PM
Quick! First one to link a comic with an unnamed character who looks like a Helga gets... Um... Kudos? Maybe props.

I'll link to the one I did last time someone talked about a Helga. Helga Gootergund (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20100324#.XBMkUS2ZOL8)!

KorvinStarmast
2018-12-14, 08:49 AM
Well, as long as we're going this direction, I might as well mention that not only is it "Hilgya," but it's also "Daigo" and "Thanh." That too......

Procyonpi
2018-12-14, 09:23 AM
I'm not even convinced it's a sure thing Minrah gets raised? Remember, Hilgya (who's casting the spells here) is non-good and worships Loki. Why would she want to blow a bunch of Diamonds and a huge wad of XP to have a low level Cleric of her god's main rival floating around?

zimmerwald1915
2018-12-14, 09:26 AM
Why would she want to blow a bunch of Diamonds and a huge wad of XP to have a low level Cleric of her god's main rival floating around?
Because it would be satisfying to see Durkon (who can also cast both raise dead and resurrection) blow a bunch of his diamonds and a huge wad of his XP for the sake of a low-level cleric?

Procyonpi
2018-12-14, 09:35 AM
Because it would be satisfying to see Durkon (who can also cast both raise dead and resurrection) blow a bunch of his diamonds and a huge wad of his XP for the sake of a low-level cleric?

Something something spells prepared / time considerations something...
Also something something do we know that they have the Diamonds and / or a convenient place to get them something...

zimmerwald1915
2018-12-14, 09:38 AM
Something something spells prepared / time considerations something...
Also something something do we know that they have the Diamonds and / or a convenient place to get them something...
What better place to get diamonds than the mining-halls of the Dwarves?

Well, there's the Elemental Plane of Earth, to which Durkon can plane shift.

Windscion
2018-12-14, 09:56 AM
I imagine Minrah will be too busy running a matchmaking site to adventure much.
OTOH, maybe Minrah will be the one to point Recloak and V to the OTP!

Peelee
2018-12-14, 10:09 AM
I'm not even convinced it's a sure thing Minrah gets raised? Remember, Hilgya (who's casting the spells here) is non-good and worships Loki. Why would she want to blow a bunch of Diamonds and a huge wad of XP to have a low level Cleric of her god's main rival floating around?

Why are either of them putting a huge wad of XP on the table? As a tip, or something?

Cirin
2018-12-14, 10:34 AM

Raise Dead doesn't have an XP cost.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/raiseDead.htm

It costs 5,000 GP worth of diamonds, takes a 5th level spell slot, and has a casting time of 1 minute.

For a high-level Cleric, it's a routine or almost trivial spell to cast, as long as the components are available.

Peelee
2018-12-14, 10:51 AM

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/raiseDead.htm

Neither does Resurrection (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/resurrection.htm). Or True Resurrection (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/trueResurrection.htm). Or hell, even Reincarnate (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/reincarnate.htm). They would need to somehow cast Wish if they wanted to spend XP to raise anyone; even Limited Wish and Miracle can do it without XP costs.

hroşila
2018-12-14, 10:56 AM
The caster would be sacrificing all the beautiful experiences they could be having in those 10 minutes instead. Does that count?

Kish
2018-12-14, 10:58 AM
While I am mystified by the assumption in the thread title, I'm even more mystified by the suggestion that every panel of the current strip from 5 on is leading to "Psyche! She's staying dead."

zimmerwald1915
2018-12-14, 11:04 AM
Yeah, I accepted the post I quoted at face value, and didn't check. Oopsie :smallredface:

Peelee
2018-12-14, 11:08 AM
Yeah, I accepted the post I quoted at face value, and didn't check. Oopsie :smallredface:

To be fair, everything you said was correct; she would almost certainly be satisfied seeing him blow a chunk of XP.

jwhouk
2018-12-14, 11:52 AM
Yanno, Durkon being back in his homelands means his family's still around - theoretically.

And that would mean his aunt who owns one of the dwarven mines, which might have a lode of diamonds.

Peelee
2018-12-14, 11:58 AM
Yanno, Durkon being back in his homelands means his family's still around - theoretically.

And that would mean his aunt who owns one of the dwarven mines, which might have a lode of diamonds.

It was a silver mine, IIRC, so a lode of diamonds would he a helluva windfall.

zimmerwald1915
2018-12-14, 11:59 AM
It was a silver mine, IIRC, so a lode of diamonds would he a helluva windfall.
I'm pretty sure diamonds don't form in lodes - the word describes formations of metal ores.

Peelee
2018-12-14, 12:06 PM
I'm pretty sure diamonds don't form in lodes - the word describes formations of metal ores.

Something something face value didn't check.:smalltongue: Barely an hour later, too. Shame on me.

Grey_Wolf_c
2018-12-14, 12:07 PM

Based on an expertise gained from a three minute google search, I believe diamonds come from Kimberlite pipes (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jwaneng_diamond_mine).

Grey Wolf

Peelee
2018-12-14, 12:11 PM
Based on an expertise gained from a three minute google search, I believe diamonds come from Kimberlite pipes (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jwaneng_diamond_mine).

Grey Wolf

Based on spending an extra minute, volcanic pipes (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volcanic_pipe) would be more accurate. Gotta save face somehow. I choose to ignore that kimberlite pipes are the most common volcanic pipes to have diamonds.

Ninja Dragon
2018-12-14, 01:04 PM
She wants to help them defeat Xykon, so she is pretty much joining the order until the end of the comic. If the order stays together after that, she is probably going back to her temple.

Peelee
2018-12-14, 01:13 PM
She wants to help them defeat Xykon, so she is pretty much joining the order until the end of the comic. If the order stays together after that, she is probably going back to her temple.

She has no idea who Xykon is, and has zero stake in Xykon's plans. She cares about the goblin.

Fyraltari
2018-12-14, 01:16 PM

Hinjo, Lien and O-Chul want to defeat Xykon and they did not join the Order.

Riftwolf
2018-12-14, 01:48 PM
My guess: her raise dead will be part of an ending montage about the importance of finding family in unrelated people, and her being introduced to the Wednesday dinner nights with Sigdi.

Ruck
2018-12-14, 02:29 PM
I could see it going a lot of ways-- Durkon resurrects Minrah right away; he has to wait until an ending montage like Riftwolf describes; he isn't able to do it now but does it at the end after the Order defeats Xykon, saves the universe, and Durkon returns home. (After all, in story time that's, what, two weeks tops?)

The one thing I am pretty confident in is that Minrah won't be traveling with the Order to Kraagor's Gate.

zimmerwald1915
2018-12-14, 02:33 PM
My guess: her raise dead will be part of an ending montage about the importance of finding family in unrelated people, and her being introduced to the Wednesday dinner nights with Sigdi.
Yes, because Minrah doesn't have her own circle of friends to whom she's referred several times. She needs the company of people a generation older than her.

thelivingmonkey
2018-12-15, 12:19 PM
Yes, because Minrah doesn't have her own circle of friends to whom she's referred several times. She needs the company of people a generation older than her.

She can have normal friends and eat dinner with old people once a week, can't she?

jwhouk
2018-12-15, 01:08 PM
Ah, but the silver mine owner would have the $$$ to buy diamonds - enough to pay to rez both Durkon and Minrah!

Emanick
2018-12-15, 01:08 PM
She can have normal friends and eat dinner with old people once a week, can't she?

Yeah, but why would she want to? She doesn’t know any of them, at least not well.