PDA

View Full Version : Sights in an elven temporary settlement

Pinjata
2018-12-13, 08:05 AM
ITT: Sights, one can see in an elven temporary camp in a large forest.

>Grandmaster archer firing arrows at nearby treetops. His pupils fire after him, trying to hit bags of sand, hidden in treetops and now swinging, after being hit by archery teacher
>Young elf recasting Firebolt. She is a newly awakened sorcerer
>A few guys happily chatting, while carrying spears and a few large fish with them
>Local druid with her huge-ass bear companion
>Old woman (850+ years) plucking a chicken
>Elf priest talking to children about great deeds of Corellon
>A group of elves setting up a temporary shelter in a tree
>A bunch of pack animals (deer) grazing all over the camp
>Hunting dogs playing with children along with a few warhounds

Got any more?

Kaptin Keen
2018-12-13, 08:25 AM
The problem I always have with fantasy races is that your examples could all just as easily be from any rural human village.

I'm not saying your examples are bad. What I'm saying is the developers have made all the races so close to human that it annoys me.

I remember as a young man, many many years ago, I played a computer game in which I encountered an elf girl, and I was annoyed because she had mossy green hair, was dirty from head to feet, with leaves and twigs sticking out everywhere - and she didn't match my pretty elfgirl fantasy image. But these days, I realise this elf is much closer to what I want; wild and unkempt and mysterious.

My examples could be:
Elven master archer firing at targets with his eyes closed, extolling his student 'what would you do if it was dark, if your target was invisible, or someone threw sand in your eyes'.
Young elf seemingly wrestling a miniature fire elemental, struggling to control her innate affinity for fire.
Young elves chatting with the fish, explaining to them that the tribe needs to eat, and the cycle of nature, and maybe the fish feel like helping out - and in return the eldest fish leap onto land.
Elf druid with some sort of treant animal companion - in the process of sculting it's growth into a bearshape.
Elf priest teaching children the language of birds, and the great deeds of some random sparrow who lived in the boughs of the white oak.
A group of elves settling down to rest - and the nearby trees and bushes actively moving to give them shelter.
Elf children playing with faerie dragons, or sprites, or some sort of sapling creature (definitely-not-Groot).

Same, but different, see? =)

Pinjata
2018-12-13, 08:58 AM
The problem I always have with fantasy races is that your examples could all just as easily be from any rural human village.

I'm not saying your examples are bad. What I'm saying is the developers have made all the races so close to human that it annoys me.

I remember as a young man, many many years ago, I played a computer game in which I encountered an elf girl, and I was annoyed because she had mossy green hair, was dirty from head to feet, with leaves and twigs sticking out everywhere - and she didn't match my pretty elfgirl fantasy image. But these days, I realise this elf is much closer to what I want; wild and unkempt and mysterious.

My examples could be:
Elven master archer firing at targets with his eyes closed, extolling his student 'what would you do if it was dark, if your target was invisible, or someone threw sand in your eyes'.
Young elf seemingly wrestling a miniature fire elemental, struggling to control her innate affinity for fire.
Young elves chatting with the fish, explaining to them that the tribe needs to eat, and the cycle of nature, and maybe the fish feel like helping out - and in return the eldest fish leap onto land.
Elf druid with some sort of treant animal companion - in the process of sculting it's growth into a bearshape.
Elf priest teaching children the language of birds, and the great deeds of some random sparrow who lived in the boughs of the white oak.
A group of elves settling down to rest - and the nearby trees and bushes actively moving to give them shelter.
Elf children playing with faerie dragons, or sprites, or some sort of sapling creature (definitely-not-Groot).

Same, but different, see? =)

This. Is. Great.

Kaptin Keen
2018-12-13, 02:58 PM
This. Is. Great.

Wow - thanks. No one ever likes my ideas =D

qwertyu63
2018-12-16, 03:54 PM

Can I get a source on that? It sounds like a game I'd want to check out.

Kaptin Keen
2018-12-16, 04:01 PM
Can I get a source on that? It sounds like a game I'd want to check out.

Um ... jeez, crap - you have to understand, this was a very long time ago. I consider myself a 1st generation gamer, this was a text adventure game, but enhanced with [gasp!] pictures!!

I don't recall the title, but in case it comes to me in my sleep, I'll return and tell you =)

LordEntrails
2018-12-16, 05:26 PM
Well, what is unique to the elven race in the game you are playing? Do they trance rather than sleep? So maybe you will see some elves trancing while in a circle about a small sapling?

Are they immortal? Maybe you see an elder elf that is more spirit than physical and is ten thousand years old.

Are they fey? Do they live with pixies and fairies? So you see some of them about too.

Do they sculpt the trees into buildings? So a couple elven gardeners are "growing" trees and vines into a temple or meeting hall.

What makes an elf unique?

Pauly
2018-12-16, 09:56 PM
Instead of a blacksmith:
Woodwright - shaping wood with steam to make the wood pluable and frames to hold the shape.
Instead of a bladesmith:
Bladewright: Using “ironwood”, i.e. a wood replacement for steel, edges are work hardened rather than forged and quenched. Work hardening is hammering at normal temperatures to compress an edge and js used with bronze weaponry.
Instead of a carpenter:
Arborist [maybe a better name exists] Plashing trees together to make a new shelter

There probably would be ropemaking being done, considering how much tree top work is in the community.Here are some you tube clips of traditional machines, but being elves you could describe it being done by hand with a team of 5 elves.
https://youtu.be/EKjO-tOhU2E

https://youtu.be/By8K5mKSwDA

Foresters: managing trees in the vicinity of the settlement. Using frames/ropes to encourage trees to grown in unusual shapes, coppicing and pollarding to grow fodder as well as grow straight branches to order.

Rather than fishing, I’d suggest fish farms using nets in the river.