PDA

View Full Version : Optimization How would you maximize PCs with bad main stats?

mer.c
2018-12-13, 10:46 AM
If for whatever reason you were to play a PC with really unsuited ability scores, how would you build them? For example, a low-Dex rogue, low-Wis Druid, low-Str+Dex Fighter, etc? With or without good scores in less-helpful abilities?

Just looking for some good thought experimenting. :)

nickl_2000
2018-12-13, 10:50 AM
There are two methods in my mind in playing classes with low scores all around

1) Play a Moon Druid and scoff at those low scores because you just replace them anyways
2) Play a caster and focus on buffs and helping instead of doing actual damage. Cast spells that do battlefield control with no saves and such and spells that gelp your teammates.
For example, I don't care about a Cleric's Wisdom when the cleric casts Bless on me.

If you are playing something that has a high score in something else you figure out a way to use that instead. For example
A heavy armor Dwarf with low str/dex and high charisma takes a level in Nature Cleric or Druid or MI:Driud to get Shilleigh
A character has super high charisma takes a level in hexblade

etc

MThurston
2018-12-13, 11:21 AM
So if I am forced to play a game with stats below average, I probably wouldn't play.

If I had a 16 Str, 8 Dex, 10 Con, 15 Int, 14 Wis and a 12 Cha.

I wouldn't play a rogue. I would pick another class that doesnt need Dex.

Mikal
2018-12-13, 11:24 AM
If for whatever reason you were to play a PC with really unsuited ability scores, how would you build them? For example, a low-Dex rogue, low-Wis Druid, low-Str+Dex Fighter, etc? With or without good scores in less-helpful abilities?

If I was forced to play say... a 10 Str 8 Dex 7 Con 16 Int 14 Wis 16 Cha I'd likely figure out the best way to the front door.

If it's a case of roll straight down the middle in order, then I have a choice to play a different class where those stats make sense.
If it's a case of "choose class, race, then stats down the middle", I'd say thanks but no thanks, because that's a stupid creation setup.

iTreeby
2018-12-13, 11:30 AM
I think magic initiate would be picked often in such a game. "cool, a semi-reliable way to deal damage" works for every mental stat.

Armor proficiency becomes better for Dex classes without Dex.

Multiclassing may not be possible with bad main stats because of 13 stat multiclass rules.

It seems easier than a commoner game I think?

Wildarm
2018-12-13, 12:01 PM

Hexblade can fix some things. Moon Druid can fix other things. Non-DC dependent buffing caster like a bard or Order Domain Cleric isn't too bad.

To be honest, you can get away with 14 in your main stat for a long time(I assume you can at least get a 14 in one stat). ASIs will eventually let you catch up to others. You might be short a feat but just pick a class that gets some extra ones like Fighter or Rogue.

Particle_Man
2018-12-13, 01:39 PM
It might be fun to take a 1st level spell that can be cast in higher level slots for extra benefits and then spam it for every spell slot if you can't cast spells higher than 1st level due to a low stat.

nickl_2000
2018-12-13, 01:40 PM
It might be fun to take a 1st level spell that can be cast in higher level slots for extra benefits and then spam it for every spell slot if you can't cast spells higher than 1st level due to a low stat.

I mean, you can burn through a fair amount of damage as a wizard with an int of 6 just by casting Magic Missile with all your spell slots.

XmonkTad
2018-12-14, 11:02 AM
I mean, you can burn through a fair amount of damage as a wizard with an int of 6 just by casting Magic Missile with all your spell slots.

This for sure. Magic missile does very reliable damage. Going arcana cleric will give you a bevy of buffs and healing, as well as access to magic missile.

MaxWilson
2018-12-14, 12:14 PM

My favorite low-stats build, e.g. if you roll all ability scores under 7, is a Mobile human necromancer who wears heavy armor despite being nonproficient and spends his turns Dodging and shrieking at his skeletons, "Kill them! Kill them all!" with his bonus action.

Early levels before Animate Dead comes online will be rough, especially if you roleplay your extremely low Int/Wis/Cha, but you could lean heavily on your cowardice to run from foes, avoid the heavy armor (so you'd have some spellcasting), and obseqiously curry favor (in your own inept way) with your fellow PCs and the NPCs you meet, e.g. buffing people with Longstrider and Mage Armor with a greasy smile on your face, or tossing out Web spells for crowd control, all the while plotting how you're going to "show them all!" someday.

Phoenix042
2018-12-14, 12:42 PM
A lot of these are actually really easy.

For example, a low-dex rogue can simply build for strength.

Some are more complicated. If your strength or dex are low as a fighter, I have LOTS of suggestions for you, especially if, to compensate, you have decent stats in other areas.

For example, my favorite fighter is actually a support fighter, with protection fighting style, commander's strike, maneuvering attack, and rally. We did 29 point-buy AND had a bonus feat at 1st, and I went with Human, so her stats are:

Str 16, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 14

I accomplished this by taking (so far) two half-feats, Brawny (from unearthed arcana) and resilient (wis).

I'm not a sack of HP like some fighters; between shield master and my decent dex, plus resilient wis and my decent wis, AND my con, I'm a really tough fighter against basically any type of attack.

When I'm not using my commander's strike, I use my bonus action to shove people and then either attack with advantage (and use a maneuver only if I get a crit) or grapple / shove someone else, to help keep enemies pinned down and away from my allies.

I use rally at the start of every day, then take a short rest for breakfast. I also use it before taking any other short rest to help efficiently burn superiority dice. Between rally and second win, I come back from fights pretty well.

Man_Over_Game
2018-12-14, 12:49 PM
Fighter: Magic Initiate (Druid) for Shillelagh
Rogue: See Fighter, or go STR with Barbarian
Barbarian: Uh...suck, I guess?
Monk: Grab a level into Barbarian or See Fighter.
Paladin: Unless you dump Dex, Str, AND Cha, they always have an out: Vengeance Paladin or Conquest Paladin + Hexblade.
Sorcerer: Be a Dwarf, rock some extra HP and try to be a melee Gish.
Bard: Similar to Paladin, can survive being Swords or Valor while having a low Charisma and Dex.
Ranger: Unless you're willing to dump both Dex, Str AND Wisdom, they always have an out with just the core class or MI Druid. If being a STR build, go Horizon Walker, use darts + shield.
Druid: *Moon Druid laughs as a hyena*
Warlock: Hexblade melee warrior, will likely be Hill Dwarf to increase HP.

Floogal
2018-12-14, 03:26 PM
It might be fun to take a 1st level spell that can be cast in higher level slots for extra benefits and then spam it for every spell slot if you can't cast spells higher than 1st level due to a low stat. You're confusing 5e with another edition of D&D (or Pathfinder).

Here, a 3 Int Wizard could cast Wish no problem. Just choose an effect that doesn't have an attack roll or saving throw.

noob
2018-12-14, 03:41 PM
It is true that wizards have 0 problems: many wizard spells have no save and the penalty from low int is near nonexistent(at low level you will have a low amount of prepared spells but you quickly catch back)
Also due to being a wizard most opponents will carefully avoid targeting your int save even through it is a low save for you because how could they know you are dumb?

jdolch
2018-12-15, 03:54 AM
So just to be clear. You don't mean the classic 16, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8 guy where you simply build a SAD char and put the 16 into the main stat. You mean when you have a bad stat as the main stat? (Even though I can't imagine any case where that would actually happen)

Clistenes
2018-12-15, 06:28 AM
Couldn't you ask your DM if he would allow you to use a homebrew variant class?

Like, a high Wisdom, low Charisma Monk-like Paladin who is sort of like a hermit whose power comes from meditation and insight, and his powers are fueled by his Wisdom, not his Charisma.

Or a Bard who is a Truenamer, and his powers are fueled by his Intelligence, thanks to his knowledge of Truespeak (his words alter reality itself...).

Or a Wisdom-based Bard who is a Shaman of sorts, his chanting being divine spells.

Or a Druid whose powers come from the spirits, who are enthralled by her Charisma...

So long as you don't try to pull an overpowered multiclass build, it should be okay... I mean

Sorcerer+Paladin = Right
Cleric+Wisdom-based homebrew Paladin = Nope. Too OP.
Wisdom-based Paladin+Wisdom-based Sorcerer = Right, because it only changes the main stat of the build but it is otherwise the same as any other Sorcadin...

mer.c
2018-12-15, 09:17 AM
So just to be clear. You don't mean the classic 16, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8 guy where you simply build a SAD char and put the 16 into the main stat. You mean when you have a bad stat as the main stat? (Even though I can't imagine any case where that would actually happen)
Pretty much. It’s not something that has happened or I expect to happen. Just curious about how people would go about doing it if for some reason they were in that position for whatever reason. (Because I like wonky builds and thought experiments.)

It’s really fun to see what people are coming up with.

Tanarii
2018-12-15, 10:07 AM
Anyone talking about mulitclassing has missed that low-primary stat characters can't multiclass. We're limited to talking single class here. At least until they level up and put a few ASIs into the low stat, so not before level 12 or 8 (depending on race.)

For Martial characters, either use the other physical attack stat (ie Dex instead of Str, or Str instead of Dex), or find a way to get access to a cantrip using a mental attack stat. In the PHB, that means High Elf, or Variant Human with Magic Initiate.

For full casters, use a physical attack stat (Str or Dex) and focus your spells on non-save utility. (I'm ignoring Moon Druids because low hanging fruit.)

Generally speaking the 6 Martial classes will suffer more than the 6 full caster classes. Dex-Paladins and Str-Rangers come off the best among the martials. Str or Dex Bards, Clerics, or Warlocks the best amongst the full Casters.

Clistenes
2018-12-15, 01:36 PM
Anyone talking about mulitclassing has missed that low-primary stat characters can't multiclass. We're limited to talking single class here. At least until they level up and put a few ASIs into the low stat, so not before level 12 or 8 (depending on race.).

I mentioned multiclassing because I expected somebody to object it on the basis of the risk of some player using the variant classes to create crazy builds...

Tanarii
2018-12-15, 01:39 PM
I mentioned multiclassing because I expected somebody to object it on the basis of the risk of some player using the variant classes to create crazy builds...
Meh I was wrong anyway. The OP didn't specify how low a low ability score is. To many (most?) people, a 13 is unsuitably low as a primary ability score.