PDA

View Full Version : favorite class to pair with 2 levels of Warlock

n00b
2018-12-13, 12:07 PM
Starting a new adventure in a few weeks, Dungeon of the Mad Mage. Beginning at level 6 and all I know is I want to sit back and cast Eldritch Blast at folks. So that takes 2 levels of Warlock basically. What to do with the other 4 levels? I don't want any more than the 2 Warlock levels so it needs to be something else (also would rather be something besides Sorcerer as well). Another caster class makes the most sense I suppose since I won't be wading into the thick of things (on purpose at least). But I'm open to other suggestions. Using point buy for stats. Official material only but not restricted on number of books. No UA.

Thanks!

Edit: Also we get our pick of 2 uncommon magic items so suggestions are welcome that might enhance the build.

MilkmanDanimal
2018-12-13, 12:17 PM
4 more levels of Warlock. Heyoooooo . . .

Anyways, for the generic recommendation, Lore Bard. If all you're going to do is cast Eldritch Blast, well, that means you're going to need solid ways to spend A) concentration slots and B) bonus actions. Bard has all those handy low-level concentration spells like Faerie Fire and Heat Metal, and, for bonus actions, you'll have bardic inspiration and Healing Word. Add to that Lore Bard means you're an instant skill monkey, and you have all sorts of out-of-combat utility as well.

CTurbo
2018-12-13, 12:20 PM
Sorcerer is the most obvious answer, but if you're looking for other options

2 levels of Warlock helps Abjurer Wizards out a lot. You can use Mage Armor at will to boost your ward as well as Armor of Agathys meshes well with Arcane Ward.

2 levels of Warlock can help out any Rogue too since Warlock can be a very sneaky class in it's own right.

Blood of Gaea
2018-12-13, 12:47 PM
Personally, I'd just go straight Warlock.

As far as items go, it depends on what you want out of them.

Stealth: Boots of Elvenkind + Mithril Half-Plate or Cloak of Elvenkind.

Utility: Bag of Holding + Winged Boots

Defense: Sentinal Shield + Adamantium Half-Plate or Weapon of Warning.

Spellcasting: Rod of the Pact Keeper (+1) + A wand.

Strength Gish: Gauntlets of Ogre Power + Adamantium Half-Plate or Cloak of Protection.

If you don't have Darkvision, the goggle would be tempting as well.

Particle_Man
2018-12-13, 01:26 PM
Barbarian (Berserker). You won't be wading into combat but on those rare occasions when combatants wade over to you, you TEAR THEM APART!

For extra hilarity, don't tell anyone (except your DM) until your first frenzy.

I would go halfling (lightfoot) because: a) natural 1s are annoying, b) hiding behind another party member is a fun option, and c) it adds to the surprise factor when you frenzy.

JumboWheat01
2018-12-13, 01:35 PM
Warlock 2 / Shadow Monk X is a pretty popular combo. See through your magical darkness for free advantage and letting you teleport around the darkness with reckless abandon.

Paladin / Warlock is also a pretty decent combo, with both working with Cha. Having Eldritch Blast gives you a very reliable bit of ranged damage, plus Paladins have some very nice support abilities. Go with Paladin at first level for the armor and weapons, then the two Warlocks, then rest Paladin. Feylock / Ancients Paladin is quite thematic.

RickAsWritten
2018-12-13, 01:53 PM
Druid. Pair Spike Growth with the following:

Repelling Blast or Grasp of Hadar
Dissonant Whispers(if G.O.O.)
Lightning Lure
Cause Fear(maybe)
Command(depends on your DM's interpretation of directly harmful to it, the spikes are hidden unless checked for and are secondarily harmful(?) to it)
Thorn Whip
Infestation
Thunderwave

Pex
2018-12-13, 02:06 PM
What do you want to do?

Do you want to fight? Then Fighter or Paladin or stay in Warlock for Blade Pack, go Hexblade to do it easier.

Do you want to cast attack spells? Then go Sorcerer, though you may feel a tinge of regret you don't have Fireball and could have had Fire Bolt, or stay in Warlock, Tome or Chain, any Patron.

Do you want to be The Talker? Stay in Warlock, make sure you have Mask of Many Faces Invocation, or if multiclass still have that invocation and go Bard.

Vogie
2018-12-14, 10:20 AM
Some random ideas:
EK Fighter - Action surges to nova, and once you get War Magic, you have the ability to EB followed by a bonus action Bow shot, getting 3 attacks/turn at 9 (2 rays and an arrow), jumping immediately to 4 attacks/turn at 10 (3 rays and an arrow). In addition, you get more spell slots AND spells known that you can use your pact magic slots for, and can pick up a familiar. If things start to go sideways, you can summon a literal shield to your arm as a bonus action. Any patron will work, but Hexblade wouldn't work as well unless you get a 3rd level of Warlock for Improved Pact weapon... without it, you'd be stuck with Hand Crossbows or to ignore the hex warrior completely.
Storm Sorcerer - to make a... wushu machine gunner? In addition to Agonizing Blast, you also pick up either Armor of Shadow or Misty Visions - that is, an invocation that allows you to cast a 1st level spell at will without spell slots. Your first level of Storm Sorcerer allows you to use that 1st level at-will slotless spell to fly around... and you can follow it up with a quickened EB if you want. You dump your pact slots and almost all of your Sorcerer spell slots into sorc points, and pump your targets full of holes via EB +Quickened EB. If you choose a Warforged Character, your PC could be an Iron Giant-eque character, and your default Silent Image (via misty vision) would be flames coming out of your hands and feet while you fly, giving you an Iron Man look. Any patron will work depending on your concept.
Dream Druid - Why choose anything? Mix with Celestial Patron, and you'll have an absolute pile of utility. Before you even get to spell slots, you have fey energy die (=Druid level, so 4/LR), Healing light die (1+Warlock level, so 3/SR), and Wild Shape. Because you have access to EB as a universal damaging spell for both single and multi-targets, you can make all your spell suggestions lean towards buffs and control.

MThurston
2018-12-14, 10:33 AM
I'd go hexblade for 3 levels and then Ranger. Take improved Pact weapon. Then sit back and nail people with arrows.