PDA

View Full Version : Durkons family and their whereabouts, stats

WolvesbaneIII
2018-12-13, 04:10 PM
So any info on durkons family? didn't they become travelers or adventurers? Any chance they could have any plot relevance outside of a cameo?

The one guy was a bard I think, so what about the rest? His grand father died with honor due to his failing kidneys, so any info on the rest?

If they were leveled up sufficiently, they might be able to take out the vampires, but if not, they might also be fodder. Plus, with them getting up there in age their stats could start to slip due to being old, like strength. Do you get more wisdom or something with age? how do stats work like that? I read xykon would have a decline in strength in human form, but his lich form has no such weakness.

Any info dumps on this subject?

Peelee
2018-12-13, 04:41 PM
So any info on durkons family? didn't they become travelers or adventurers? Any chance they could have any plot relevance outside of a cameo?

They did have plot relevance (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1130.html).

WolvesbaneIII
2018-12-13, 05:13 PM
They did have plot relevance (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1130.html).

erm, I meant plot relevance in terms of physically getting involved in the current plot, not as far as the vampire durkon is involved.

Will they be there to do anything as an ensemble party, or will they be held hostage, or are they going to be mere cameos later to say hello and see durkon off? or will they even show up at all?

Morty
2018-12-13, 05:16 PM
You know as much as anyone else, which is to say what was said in the comic, which in turn is to say very little.

Kish
2018-12-13, 05:18 PM
Wanting "Durkon's family" (is this Sigdi, or are you using it to mean the five people she had resurrected...?) to have plot relevance outside of a cameo, with a cameo here meaning them being key to the member of the Order spotlighted in this book defeating the book's main villain, seems a rather...odd definition of a cameo.

I'm pretty sure Sigdi will never face down Xykon, if that's what you're looking for.

WolvesbaneIII
2018-12-13, 05:20 PM
Wanting "Durkon's family" (is this Sigdi, or are you using it to mean the five people she had resurrected...?) to have plot relevance outside of a cameo, with a cameo here meaning them being key to the member of the Order spotlighted in this book defeating the book's main villain, seems a rather...odd definition of a cameo.

I'm pretty sure Sigdi will never face down Xykon, if that's what you're looking for.

By cameo, I mean not really having any plot relevance, but just there after the whole thing is done, and they show up and are like "oh! its durkon! Lets have a dinner party!" and a montage of them catching up is done before they depart to go get xykon and crew.

Morty
2018-12-13, 07:11 PM
Considering the consequences of Sigdi's decision to raise them, I would say their plot relevance is very high even if they never set foot in the present day.

Zenzis
2018-12-13, 09:06 PM
So we don't know much about them. Sigdi's squad did fight this troll. http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0991.html

That troll seems likely to be a half-dragon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/halfDragon.htm), given its breath attack and immunity to fire. I never got super deep into the dragon heritage stuff, but the draconic template doesn't give resistances or a breath attack so its out. Half-dragon gives a +2 CR. It is always referred to as a troll (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/troll.htm) which has a CR of 5, which seems likely, though if we want to give a higher bar we could say it is a cave troll from MM3, with a CR of 8.

So we are looking at a CR 7 or 10 encounter, which if appropriate for the party (Which is kind of a mixed assumption. They have handled trolls before, and though this one had a surprise it was definitely putting up a very good fight in any case. So lets go with it is about level appropriate, because it challenged them in general, and was steamrolling them because they brought fire weapons. Shrug.) means Sigdi is probably about level 7, maybe level 10. In any case a vampire spawn is CR 4.

So overall all Sigdi could potentially fight some spawn, but is unlikely to make much of an impact in comparison to the much higher leveled order. She is potentially on the level on Minrah, but doesn't offer the support casting. (Which can be useful regardless of the level of the caster.)

Of the others, only one seems to have potential, the bard. He was going back to finish school after begin resurrected. Julia (level 3) and Pompey (level 5?) were both in school. IDK what level Roy was when going to Bash University. (I haven't read OOTPCs.) we didn't really see any memories of him doing adventurer things, mostly playing around or signing or storytelling, but maybe he got XP off that. He also could have done any number of things after Durkon left. But based on the memories and attitude for most of Durkon's life, I think it would be bold to peg him as much higher than level 5. Once again could be a bit effective against vampire spawn maybe, but much more swingy and uncertain than Sigdi.

As for the others, maybe they could offer the party some supplies, or such, as some seem to have successful businesses. Thor told Durkon a secret of his ancestors, which could be a forging secret, and maybe the lady who owns the mine could help supply a forge or get some special minerals he might need. I could see that as the most likely actual plot interaction we get from them.

Well there is my wall of text "info dump" since you asked for one.

Emanick
2018-12-13, 10:21 PM
So we don't know much about them. Sigdi's squad did fight this troll. http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0991.html

That troll seems likely to be a half-dragon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/halfDragon.htm), given its breath attack and immunity to fire. I never got super deep into the dragon heritage stuff, but the draconic template doesn't give resistances or a breath attack so its out. Half-dragon gives a +2 CR. It is always referred to as a troll (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/troll.htm) which has a CR of 5, which seems likely, though if we want to give a higher bar we could say it is a cave troll from MM3, with a CR of 8.

So we are looking at a CR 7 or 10 encounter, which if appropriate for the party (Which is kind of a mixed assumption. They have handled trolls before, and though this one had a surprise it was definitely putting up a very good fight in any case. So lets go with it is about level appropriate, because it challenged them in general, and was steamrolling them because they brought fire weapons. Shrug.) means Sigdi is probably about level 7, maybe level 10. In any case a vampire spawn is CR 4.

So overall all Sigdi could potentially fight some spawn, but is unlikely to make much of an impact in comparison to the much higher leveled order. She is potentially on the level on Minrah, but doesn't offer the support casting. (Which can be useful regardless of the level of the caster.)

Of the others, only one seems to have potential, the bard. He was going back to finish school after begin resurrected. Julia (level 3) and Pompey (level 5?) were both in school. IDK what level Roy was when going to Bash University. (I haven't read OOTPCs.) we didn't really see any memories of him doing adventurer things, mostly playing around or signing or storytelling, but maybe he got XP off that. He also could have done any number of things after Durkon left. But based on the memories and attitude for most of Durkon's life, I think it would be bold to peg him as much higher than level 5. Once again could be a bit effective against vampire spawn maybe, but much more swingy and uncertain than Sigdi.

As for the others, maybe they could offer the party some supplies, or such, as some seem to have successful businesses. Thor told Durkon a secret of his ancestors, which could be a forging secret, and maybe the lady who owns the mine could help supply a forge or get some special minerals he might need. I could see that as the most likely actual plot interaction we get from them.

Well there is my wall of text "info dump" since you asked for one.

Great summary. I'd add a couple minor points:

- Shortly after leaving school in OOTPCs, one of Roy's lines indicates that he almost certainly isn't level 4 yet (he says he doesn't have Weapon Specialization yet.
- Even a low-level bard like Squeaky could be helpful to the Order, given his ability to inspire courage, etc.

On a broader note, I don't expect them to show up during the battle against the Ex-Exarch, although if any of them did, it could provide some nice character moments for Durkon. As the OP notes, they're likely to have some minor-to-moderate penalties to Strength, Dexterity and Constitution, given the fact that they all seem to be at least middle-aged and perhaps old (although probably not venerable), but they'd also have some age-related bonuses to Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma, which might be at least as relevant, particularly in Squeaky's case.