PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Might as well JUMP

Jesterface
2018-12-13, 04:26 PM
Go ahead and jump!

So, helping a friend build a Warblade (3.5e). And he's looking at being a reasonable charger type. One of his first maneuvers chosen is Sudden Leap, and looking at feats, he's noted Leap of the Heavens as one of his options. My main question here was how both Sudden Leap and LotH potentially synergise with Leap Attack. Does Leap Attack still require a charge/movement element before the jump is made?

Thanks!

gkathellar
2018-12-13, 04:44 PM
Sudden Leap and Leap Attack will both benefit from Leap of the Heavens. You can't use Sudden Leap as part of Leap Attack, however, since Leap Attack is specifically part of the charge action. However, there is some synergy, as Sudden Leap will allow you to move away with a swift action and charge again in the same turn.

tyckspoon
2018-12-13, 04:46 PM
Go ahead and jump!

So, helping a friend build a Warblade (3.5e). And he's looking at being a reasonable charger type. One of his first maneuvers chosen is Sudden Leap, and looking at feats, he's noted Leap of the Heavens as one of his options. My main question here was how both Sudden Leap and LotH potentially synergise with Leap Attack. Does Leap Attack still require a charge/movement element before the jump is made?

Thanks!

Leap Attack does not release you from any requirements to charge; you must still start at least 10 feet away, advance to the nearest space you can attack your target from, move in a straight line, etc. Leap of the Heavens would make it easier to do that from a standstill and not need a runup to successfully make the jump portion of Leap Attack, so you could just jump from a standing start at 10 feet away and not suffer the doubled DC. Sudden Leap has no influence on this; you can use it to reposition for a charge, but in order to make a Leap Attack you still have to actually perform the usual full-round Charge action.

Ruethgar
2018-12-13, 04:55 PM
If you’ve wings, you can maybe try diving from your jump to count as a charge.

Jesterface
2018-12-13, 06:08 PM
Thanks for the input/clarification everyone! Much appreciated!

Saintheart
2018-12-13, 07:02 PM
You get up, and nothing gets you down.

Particle_Man
2018-12-14, 02:22 AM
Is the race locked down yet? Because thri-keen make good jumpers.

Saintheart
2018-12-14, 02:42 AM
You got it tough!

I seen the toughest around.

Ken Murikumo
2018-12-14, 09:28 AM
Look out for the Battle Jump feat (or suggest it if that's your thing). If he can jump good with both those abilities, he can potentially do double damage from his charges. This can make him trash enemies with ease.

Florian
2018-12-14, 09:49 AM
Basic Bo9S problem there. Stances and Maneuvers are basically created like spells, so mostly self-contained. That doesn't interface well with feats and other stuff that was supposed to be general, created with the understand that the general does not include spells, or, by extension, maneuvers.

A thing like Leap Attack was created under the assumption of using the standard combat system, which doesn't know such a thing as the Sudden Leap maneuver, meaning the costs and benefits are relative to a charge vs. full attack. Which doesn't make sense at all in regard to ToS classes and mechanics. So, basically, really no-one can give you a "true" answer to your question, only how they understand the RAW interaction, mostly while disregarding the RAI, which is actually not unimportant.

Saintheart
2018-12-14, 11:13 AM
And I know!

Baby, just how you feel.

You got to roll with the punches

To get to what's real.

ngilop
2018-12-14, 11:53 AM
Ah, can't you see me standin' here
I got my back against the record machine
I ain't the worst that you've seen
Ah, can't you see what I mean?

Sorry couldn't help myself

Saintheart
2018-12-14, 08:12 PM
Might as well jump (jump!)

Go ahead, jump!

Put it in, jump (jump!)

Go ahead, jump!

Jowgen
2018-12-14, 08:52 PM
*Applauds the musical performance*

gorfnab
2018-12-15, 10:57 PM
This handbook, Little Red Raiding Hood: A Tale of the Many-Classed Dragoon (http://bg-archive.minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=7200), provides a decent amount of material on using Jump attacks with maneuvers like Sudden Leap and other abilities.