PDA

View Full Version : Servants of the Thrallherd IC 2 [3.5, faster posting speed]

Pages : [1] 2

J-H
2018-12-13, 07:42 PM
You are servants - true believers - in Jon Il-Kim, a charismatic half-elf who will bring great things when he rules the continent of Cora. Unfortunately, not all share in the great vision. The Emperor who rules in Josen resists. Josen, located in a great valley that is the only trade-worthy pass in the Hwacha Mountains that divide the continent in two, is under siege. It is a great and powerful city, able to hold out for years. Wyvern riders, shapeshifted arcanists, and others regularly test and often pass the siege lines.

You have been granted a personal audience with Great Il-Kim. He radiates a tangible power that you can feel and smell, and the presence of his mind is almost overwhelming to those with open minds. He is flanked by his three 'shadows,' powerful warlords in their own right.

"Unlikely though it may seem, our victory is not certain. The might and magic of Josen is powerful. Their walls are thick and strong, their wards ancient and powerful - for this place has been the navel of Cora for millenia. Only by my constant presence here can the enemy forces be kept in check." Your master sighs, seeming tired; it's quite disturbing.

He gestures at one of his three shadows, a great and powerful cerebremancer. "Through careful divination and astral reconaissance, Irfan here has detected what he believes to be an artifact-grade weapon left over from the War of Sundering. It is far to the north, somewhere beneath the mountains. Find it, and bring it to me.

I send only a few of you, my faithful, for the road is long and the enemy has many scryers. A small force moving quickly may escape detection where a battalion would not. The road will be long and hard, and will pass through many wild lands, but I know you will not fail me. I have placed the direction to the artifacts into your minds. You will leave shortly after the fifth bell tomorrow morning. We will launch a heavy magical attack on one segment of the walls; wait about five minutes, and then go. Your passage will be unnoticed."

He lays his hands on each of your heads in turn. "Be careful, my children."

J-H
2018-12-13, 07:44 PM
Reserved for future use

BelGareth
2018-12-14, 11:40 AM
Rex snarls at the price. It was too much. Perhaps they could go see this person and persuade them otherwise, drop the price or something different? But no, that seemed too much of brow beating, and not what they were about.

PeacefulOak
2018-12-14, 03:29 PM
Xaanthios

During the long wait for the arrival of their contact, Xaanthios had begun a quiet meditation focused on his connection to the Lord and Master. Slim as it was, the connection of thought was enough to bring a soft smile to the man’s face.

As the conversation progressed, Xaanthios extended his thoughts through the focus that had been granted them, conveying to his old friend the details of their current situation. A small frown furrows his brow moments later as a stern reply echoes in his mind.

”We are not to divert from our mission.” His voice is soft but stern, more direct than is his norm. “You require funds? Give me raw materials, and I will increase their value a hundredfold, that you might complete your own mission. In the meantime, we must needs find our way below these lands. Dare we separate to pursue options before returning here? I believe we each have strengths we can leverage to bring our goals to fruition.”

BelGareth
2018-12-31, 12:55 PM
Rex thinks for a moment, then looks at everyone in the eyes. "I think we should split up, we can cover more ground that way. Xaan and I will go to the Psion's tower, Xaan can speak to his strength, perhaps we can encourage them to help, or hire them, or...something. Melinda and Cendrik, you go talk to the Mages, perhaps Melinda will be able to speak to them where we cannot? We meet up here in 24 hours, try to find anything on this Fentir character along the way. Sound good?"

Kish
2018-12-31, 02:17 PM
"Sure, why not? I'm not a wizard, or an intellectual, but I am good at talking to people." Melinda shrugs.

J-H
2018-12-31, 04:19 PM
Xaanthios & RexThaun

The psion’s dome is made up of a large number of large, triangular wooden panels that collectively form a half-sphere rising out of the ground. Higher on the structure, a number of glass panels provide light to the inside. You’ve never seen anything else like it.

There’s not an obvious door, but there is a rock-covered path going around the right side from the street. Feet crunching on the gravel, you walk around and find a bare courtyard walled in on both sides, with a door leading from it to the dome. A middle-aged woman is sitting on air, six inches off the ground, with her legs crossed and her palm on her knees. She obviously heard you coming.

“A good morning to you.”

Melinda & Cendrick

A small grass lawn forms a boundary between a tall stone tower of stone and the road. The white stone of the tower is so polished that it looks almost like ivory. A walkway leads into a covered arch that, with no door, goes straight into the first floor. As you pass through the arch, you hear a faint ringing sound upstairs, as that of a bell.

A tiny reddish figure that looks sort of like a humanoid winged toad lands in front of you. Melinda easily recognizes it as a homunculus, a mute construct created by some wizards. It looks up at the two of you and studies you, and then makes a questioning gesture.

Two large-sized constructs, some type of obscure and unusual golem, block the stairwell at the rear of the open area. There are several chairs and tables sitting around, and a large brass statue of a greataxe-wielding minotaur stands opposite an ornate tapestry depicting some battle. You’d have to get closer to either one to study them in more detail, as the tower is a full fifty-five feet in diameter.

The homunculus seems to be waiting for you to speak.

PeacefulOak
2018-12-31, 04:50 PM
Xaanthios

As they walked, Xaanthios had continued some of the conversation that he had started previously with Rex. "I have been in the service for a very, very long time. I was a craftsman, and a very good one, when He first called to me. He opened my mind to a great many possibilities, and showed me how the powers of my mind could outperform my hands in ways I had never even imagined. Still... the skills of a craftsman were not the only skills He needed.
I have done... much, in His service. Lines that perhaps I would not have crossed, in the time before. Perhaps this is why he chose me to accompany this most urgent mission."

~~~

Facing the new floating stranger, Xaanthios bows deeply. "Good Morning to you. I am Xaanthios the Constructor, and this is Rex'Thaun Drakelord. We are hoping we might acquire your assistance, or the assistance of the Psion of this house, in a venture we are undertaking."

J-H
2018-12-31, 05:37 PM
Xaanthios & RexThaun

“And what might that be?” She responds as she stands – with her feet resting on the air a few inches above the ground. “I am Magdalen, and my husband Filister and I live here. Aside from taking a very few students, and a little business imbuing items with power, we do not have much to do with ventures, adventures, or other such things. Not since we were younger anyway.”

Cavir
2019-01-05, 09:33 PM
Cendrik

"This is Melinda, and I am Cendrik Blackwater. We are part of a group of adventurers passing through. I understand your master is the greatest wizard in at least this city. We are here to see what services your master offers and perhaps do business. Is he available?"

J-H
2019-01-05, 11:36 PM
Cendrick & Melinda

The homunculus crosses its arms and taps its foot in a waiting pose. It has an ugly expression on its little red face.

A dwarf carrying a wand and spell component pouch comes down the steps, handling them with ease despite his short legs. Even though he’s wearing normal clothes instead of a robe, it’s obvious that the dwarf is a wizard.

He speaks in a relatively high-pitched, clear voice for a dwarf. “I am Brand, one of Mezzir-Shazz’s apprentices. Since he has not requested your presence, the fee for an appointment is 500 gold pieces, or some other sufficiently interesting form of payment. He is indeed the greatest wielder of arcane might in the city, and is busy with his studies, personal projects, and overseeing our efforts and does not offer ‘services’ for sale to anyone who walks in off the street.”

He waits for your response.

Cavir
2019-01-09, 09:26 PM
"Thank you for coming down Brand. As an apprentice to the greatest wielder of the arcane, perhaps your own skills in the arcane have surpassed most others and you can make use of the results of your hard work for fair trade?"

J-H
2019-01-10, 09:47 AM
Brand responds with a slight sneer on his face.

"And slow the growth of my studies of the denizens of the outer planes? Certainly not. Successful conjuration and binding demands pure focus. I doubt I will ever engage in the enchantment of items for others.

If you are poverty-stricken and without anything of interest to trade, the only thing I can recommend is hunting down Loodon, a halfling who used to study under my master. He loves pranks, and managed to escape with a substantial collection of rare scrolls in a scrollcase of minor holding made from Slaadskin. The scrollcase should be immune to almost any damage; I won't bother with a description of the little sneak, as I'm sure he's changed his appearance by now.

If that doesn't help...don't worry. Magic just isn't for most people."

He turns to leave unless you interrupt him.

PeacefulOak
2019-01-10, 03:36 PM
Xaanthios

"We are making a journey to a location under the mountains, following a legend we heard of old. It seems that there may be some difficulty encountered in entering the land below the mountains, however, as there are rules in place of which we were not aware.
Beyond this, it is told that there are many dangers to be found in the depths, and my companions could be well served by any implements of protection or defense that we might trade or barter for. " Xaanthios casts a sidelong glance to RexThaun, then continues. "Our quest is in service to a powerful lord. It could be that they might be willing to offer you their favor should you assist us, perhaps even the opportunity to find greater advancement in your paths than you have encountered here."

Kish
2019-01-10, 04:06 PM
Melinda debates whether to protest. Ultimately, even though the amount of money named isn't very large, she's reluctant to pay up-front for what seems likely to be a brush-off from someone a little higher up. If Cendrik doesn't stop Brand, she watches the dwarf leave, then shrugs. "I wonder if this Loodon might have anything useful to us, or that was a pure dead end."

J-H
2019-01-10, 11:14 PM
Cendrick & Melinda

As you walk off, Cendrik hears a voice echoing in his head. “Keep walking; I’ll be picking up lunch at the Drunken Donkey a couple of blocks east of here if you need options.” It seems to have been some sort of telepathic projection.

RexThaun & Xaanthios

Magdalena responds. “Come on inside. Filister can make plenty of items. What do you have in mind? The mines can be a dangerous place, but there are many entrances. I’m sure you can find a way in… adventurers always do. That’s how Filister and I met. Ahh, those were the days…” She smiles.

The inside of the dome is made of wooden panels, and allows plenty of natural light inside. An upper floor wraps partway around the large, open room.

https://inhabitat.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2018/02/DomeHome2-889x594.jpg

A short bald man with a salt-and-pepper mustache and several tattoos on his neck and arms (mostly of interlocking circles and other geometric figures) looks up from a table half-covered in pieces of metal, crystal, and leather. “Who’s this?”

Magdalena explains. “Some adventurers who want to go on a quest under the mountains it seems. They’ve come looking for some sort of magical equipment to help, although I don’t know what their budget is or what they have in mind.”

"Well, better us than that ivory-tower arrogant...ah, never mind." He trails off.

PeacefulOak
2019-01-11, 07:44 PM
Xaanthios

Xaanthios takes in the environment with a smile, appreciating the craftsmanship of the space before turning a warm smile to their hosts.

"I couldn't agree more! Those who learn their art through laborious study of books tend to hold themselves superior to we who learn through deep focus of the mind and introspection. As if one form of learned power is superior to another." The dark haired psion scoffs, but maintains his friendly smile.

"Shall we attend to business? We have several needs, and others that I was unaware you could assist with until just now. Given that we mean to travel below the earth, a number of our party may be severely limited in their sight, myself included. A solution to that which does not alert everything with eyes to our presence would be most appreciated. IT is likely that we could also make use of standard charms of protection and defense. For myself, while I am a Creator by trade I have found myself requiring some method beyond my creations for causing my opponents to become... less animated. Something that does not in and of itself drain my own power would be optimal there.

All that understood, if I heard you correctly then you both have been to the undermountain already? If you could provide a map to us of what you have explored, that would be amazing.
If that map could also reference our own position, and perhaps grow as we explore new avenues.... beyond description. I would be delighted to assist in any such creation, as I am a craftsman and eager to learn what skills you utilize.

Rex'Thaun may also have thoughts on our needs. Rex?"

J-H
2019-01-13, 02:52 PM
“We have not been into the caves – we adventured elsewhere, off to the west among the orc tribes. Perhaps an item of Touchsight? Dorjes of Crystal Shard?”

Cavir
2019-01-14, 07:09 AM
Cendrik looked to Melinda who didn't seem inclined to push so he turned back to Brand. "Thank you for the introductions, Brand. Well met. Good day." He nods in a farewell and heads out.

A block away he gives a simple point to his forehead and pipes up to his companion. "Seems we are expected at the Drunken Donkey up ahead. Perhaps some competitor of Mezzir-Shazz that noticed us visiting him? Let's see what they have to say." He'll continue eastward looking for the tavern.

J-H
2019-01-14, 09:29 AM
The tavern is easy to find, and it currently has a number of hung over patrons grouching their way through breakfasts. It's still a couple of hours until lunchtime begins and the signature "spiced pork wraps" (tamales) are available.

Cavir
2019-01-14, 10:21 AM
Cendrik glances around the room taking note of the type of crowd there (noticing if anyone notices them) as well as the establishment itself. Turning to Melinda he queries- "Not sure who or when. Let's grab a table and sample the specialty here?" If she agrees Cendrik will grab a table off to the side and sit so that they both can see the front door. In no rush, he'll eventually order spiced pork wrap and an ale. "Thoughts on the wizards?"

Kish
2019-01-14, 03:01 PM
"Huh. That's interesting." Melinda walks along quietly.

Arriving at the inn, she nods at Cendrik's suggestion. "Sure."

Sitting down, she comments, "It seems they have internal politics...or want to appear so anyway. And big egos. Beyond that, we hardly got a chance to learn anything."

PeacefulOak
2019-01-22, 04:14 PM
“We have not been into the caves – we adventured elsewhere, off to the west among the orc tribes. Perhaps an item of Touchsight? Dorjes of Crystal Shard?”

Xaanthios

"Touchsight would be an excellent option for those with lesser eyes, like myself. Crystal shard... I do not know this power, but if you rely on it then I am sure it would be of use. Perhaps we could touch on the matter of cost or exchange? My assets currently are not particularly.... liquid. That said, I am an exceptional artisan if I may be direct, and can increase the value of nearly any material in a very short period of time. There also remains the offer that my benefactor may be able to offer you immense resources and growth, even from the distance they currently maintain. Have you any thoughts towards the value of these items? I am also still quite captured with the idea of a map that shows our position in relation to our surrounds. Is this possible?"

BelGareth
2019-01-22, 04:24 PM
Rexthaun mutely stands behind Xaan, not really in his element, though, if the case arouse, he would step in, being of a sharper tongue than his companion, but he felt Xaan had it well caught.

He did want to add one thing however: "We are looking for access into the undermountain, would you perhaps be able to help us with that, perhaps either directly or indirectly?"

J-H
2019-01-22, 09:02 PM
RexThaun & Xaanthios

Filister responds. “Crystal shard fires shards of glass-sharp crystals. You mentioned something that would not consume your mental energies while still killing enemies, and that came to mind.” Magdalena gives a slight snort at that. “Pun not intended.”

Filister continues. “You should be able to buy a map in one of the shopping districts. What was the name of that bookseller? The one who had the foreign book with the, ah, book with all the...”
“Srinivas,” Magdalena contributes, with a slight smile. Rex thinks her cheeks may have reddened slightly, but it goes away quickly.

“Yes, Srinivas is from far away and seems to have a good collection of exotic books and maps. I don’t know much about getting into the mountains, but I’m sure a lot of the dwarves could point you in the right direction. This city was founded on their digging prowess, after all. The Underguard is a fairly formidable force.”

“As for gold, I’m aware of one opportunity for some high-risk, high-reward mercenary work, but it would take more than just the two of you to pull it off. The thieves guild is always around if you’re of flexible morals, or if you’re going to leave town in a rush I suppose you could try to steal from them….but I don’t recommend that. What else?” Filister looks at Magdalena.

“There was that dwarf looking for someone to take a big load of high-end weapons and armor south? He left in a hurry when he found out that we don’t do long-distance teleportation. I suppose you could try meeting up with the orcs or gnolls off to the west or south and seeing if they had anything that the two of you could help with?”

PeacefulOak
2019-01-23, 01:32 PM
Xaanthios

"While high-risk, high-reward definitely seems our speed, and there are more of us than are here present, we are tasked with a mission of utmost importance and risking that would be... unethical. What would be the cost of the items in question? We may look at other options for expanding our resources in order to resolve our transaction here."

BelGareth
2019-01-23, 02:34 PM
Rex nods, "Yes, lets order our items, then we can go find a map and meet up with the others?"

J-H
2019-01-23, 03:16 PM
RexThaun & Xaanthios

"We do require a fifty percent deposit for any custom-made items, and as you can see" (he motions to his workbench) "I already have some items I am working on. Let me know what specifically you want, and perhaps it's something that I already have one or two of available."

Item listing/discussion can be done OOC. It looks like this conversation is about wrapped up, so...

Everyone
The four of you meet at the Drunken Donkey. The two pairs compare notes; neither team got what you wanted, but you have a number of leads to follow. The spiced pork wraps are pleasantly warm to RexThaun's tongue, but it takes extreme spices for a dragonborn to get the reaction that others get from jalapeno peppers. The waiter remarks that these wraps are especially popular during winter-time and whenever sicknesses are going around.

Lunchtime arrives and you get a few funny looks for sitting at your table for so long, but you also notice that quite a few people are coming in, ordering food, and then taking the pork wraps elsewhere to eat.

A half-elf dressed in comfortable but high-quality clothing grabs a chair and pulls it over to your table, sitting down without an invitation. He has a large spell component pouch at his waist, so it's reasonable to assume that he's some type of wizard.

"Ah, there are four of you, not just the two who visited Mezzir-Shazz's tower this morning? Or am I interrupting something? I am Albin, and you look like people who aren't from around here, who need something, and who may be capable of employing controlled violence to achieve your goals."

BelGareth
2019-01-23, 04:08 PM
Rexthaun smiles at the wraps, and mentally makes a note to follow up on a possible disease or sickness happening, or why people were leaving with them. He scarfs down his fair share, and then as the man approaches them, he raises an eyebrow, "controlled violence?" he slowly smiles. "I like that, yes, we have on occasion. Good tidings Master Albin, I am Rex, and these are my companions, Xan, Cendrik, and Melinda, have you been spying on us?" he asks, almost in jest.

PeacefulOak
2019-01-23, 08:05 PM
Xaanthios

Steepling his fingers, Xaanthios leans in and examines the new arrival over the joined digits. "It is possible that we could apply a judicious amount of violence, depending on the situation, cause, and cost. What is it you wish accomplished?"

Kish
2019-01-23, 08:46 PM
For a moment I thought you said a ludicrous amount of violence. Well, we can do that too, but let's not scare him off. Melinda keeps her thoughts to herself.

J-H
2019-01-23, 10:32 PM
Albin steeples his bony fingers in front of him. “So the four of you are together. I had the impression there were more than just the two of you this morning. Mezzir-Shazz is a knowledgeable loremaster, an effective teacher, and a man prone to uncontrolled arcane violence against people and things he does not like; although powerful, he has few friends, and is not open to new ideas unless they fit into his view of how the world ought to work. You may have noticed that I communicated with you using telepathy earlier instead of an arcane spell. For I have learned to use the powers of the mind in addition to using my mind as well.

If I revealed this to him, I’m not sure that I would survive. I would see him dead and his tower and resources put under the control of a wiser person, namely myself. I have acquired a utilitarian patron and ally in this endeavor, whose identity I am not at liberty to reveal. Together, I believe we can match and counter my teacher, but the golems, the other apprentices, and their summoned servants present a formidable cast of secondary foes.

There is enough wealth and equipment contained within that I am confident in my ability to provide suitable recompense if a satisfactory end state is achieved through mutual cooperation.”

Cavir
2019-01-23, 10:51 PM
Cendrik nods at the introduction then listens to Albin.

"Your teacher? Past or present? Safe to assume you have intimate knowledge of his setup, defenses, and spells as well as a plan for this to all happen? Who are you beyond one of Mezzir-Shazz's students that has learned telepathy?"

Cendrik notes to Rex and Xaan. "The student we met is very focused on conjuration and planar binding. Had no interest in anything else. Just on the outside they've got 2 large constructs and a golem. Teacher and at least one student would be summoning a lot."

J-H
2019-01-23, 11:31 PM
Albin gives a thin smile. "I'm just a student who has transcended the boundaries of my first discipline, blending the book and the mind, as I said. As long as the tower is occupied and provides the required support to the city, there will be no lasting political consequences. I know most of the defenses and passwords, and can project an illusionary map if you are serious about this. I think we should be at a more secure location for that, and I do need to return with the food I came here to get. Where can I find you later?

We have yet to determine the best time to attack; more wards are up at night, but we might still catch him unawares. In the daytime, though, research might be in progress and some of our foes may have expended some of their spell capacity. Think on this and your talents."

(You're pretty sure he's a cerebremancer)

Cavir
2019-01-26, 04:02 PM
"We're staying at the Silver Tooth."

"Forgive my bluntness, what's the highest circle of spells Brand and Mezzir-Shazz have access to? How many other apprentices are there? Would any of them side with you? Arranging for any of the others to not be there at the time of the attack would simplify it."

Cendrik looks to the others for their questions, but mostly to Rex for his take on the whole thing.

J-H
2019-01-26, 08:12 PM
“I have seen him employ Forcecage, a spell of the seventh circle, to contain an enraged Slaad. As I said, your contribution to this battle is intended primarily to prevent the other apprentices and guards from interfering in a strike on Mezzir-Shazz himself, so you would contend with fifth spell circles and two tiers of warding from Sierra, who has focused on chromatics and warding veils. I will look for you at the Silver Tooth tonight. I must not arouse suspicion now by doing anything out of the ordinary, so I must go now.”

He stands up and hurries over to the counter, placing an order, paying for it, and leaving immediately.

Kish
2019-01-26, 08:22 PM
Melinda stays silent, studying the strange psionic wizard's body language for any sign of deception she can make out. An assassination mission. He'd have nothing to gain by setting a trap for a bunch of strangers. On the other hand, once he no longer needs us, he might not want to pay.

Sense Motive: [roll0]

"Well," she says after he leaves. "Think we can trust him?"

Cavir
2019-01-26, 10:05 PM
Cendrik [roll0]

BelGareth
2019-01-28, 11:32 AM
Rex angles his head sideways as the man leaves.

What an interesting thing to happen to them. "I think we should do it, our searching has come up with naught, and we are at a stalemate until we can get into the undermountain, action is always better than inaction. What say you all?"

Cavir
2019-01-29, 03:08 PM
"Better to discuss this in a private environment." Cendrik leads the group back to the Silver Tooth then brings up the conversation again in one of their rooms, alert to anything that might eavesdrop.

"I think we need a lot more convincing from Albin. We'll be secondaries fighting their secondaries. If Albion loses then all of Mezzir-Shazz's resources will be after us then and long term if he escapes. Does Albin think he can win that fight by himself?"

"We'll need details on the golems too. I'm not well versed on them. Weaknesses and immunities? Need to make sure we have enough to hit then hard with. I don't know if much of my skills would be of use against golens beyond being a target they can try to hit. We should discuss any known types in case Albin leaves anything out or Mezzir-Shazz has something new."

"Fifth circle summons? That's tigers, bears, apes stuff right? Doable but we won't have Lockheed's help. Bunch of silence spells should help prevent at least some of their magic, right? At least we have time to get anything we think we might need. Albin should be able to get us that stuff. It's his revolt."

PeacefulOak
2019-01-29, 06:00 PM
Xaanthios

"You aren't wrong, friend... but don't discount Avalon, my construct. We will not be without resources in the coming battle."

Kish
2019-01-29, 06:05 PM
Melinda shrugs. "It certainly can't hurt to learn more about how he's planning to handle his end of this fight. From what I remember, golems are pretty magic resistant."

BelGareth
2019-01-29, 06:15 PM
"Can't be worse than the damned army of the dead we fought." he says smiling, recalling the memory, and realizing, that only Xaan had been present for that. Oh well. "I'm sure we can handle ourselves, I've heard of golems, and the like, the real question is, if we do, does it further our goals? Can this Albion, or even his secret ally help us go into the undermountain, I want a promise for that."

Cavir
2019-01-29, 07:19 PM
"I don't mean to discount any of us. Merely since I've joined back in the caves we've been able to handle everything through avoidance or diplomacy. We have not yet fought together. I look forward to doing so but you haven't seen me in action and I haven't see any of you in action. Praise the Great Leader we all know we can trust each other but blending in a fight takes experience. Or at least detailed knowledge of our talents." If others are interested later, Cendrik will discuss his Sublime Way skills and magical gear.

We should be looking for more than just access to the underground. If this all works Albin gains all that is in the tower as well as the long term power and profit for taking control. There is a lot we can seek beyond any gear we feel we need for this task. Access to the underground should be simple for him. Gold to fund our preparations. Assistance for Balmor, from smoothing his smithy troubles to storing his goods to helping with transport. An ally in debt to the Great Leader since it is through his people that Albin rises in power."

"This all assumes he's telling us is fact and not just what he feels is fact. Who knows what angle his patron has, or their plans for us once the deed is done."

PeacefulOak
2019-01-29, 08:07 PM
Xaanthios

"It is wise to be wary of treachery on the part of one who is betraying a master. That said, I wonder if our goals could not be accomplished through simpler, more direct means. There are certain herbs that, consumed, can cripple a Wizard or Psion, removing from them their ability to cognate sometimes completely. I both have these herbs, and the capacity to replicate them to a dramatic extent. Perhaps on the day of our potential insurgence I could be taken within as a cook and... season... the food." Xaanthios speaks this with confidence, and his voice and tone suggests that this may not be the first time that he has taken such an action.

Cavir
2019-01-29, 08:19 PM
"Interesting. Take it another step. Albin gets their food and brings it back. You wouldn't even have to go inside and risk discovery. We would still need a full plan in case they have a strong stomach or quick magical relief from one of the others."

PeacefulOak
2019-01-29, 09:00 PM
Xaanthios

Xaanthios runs a hand through his hair and shrugs. "Perhaps. The application of this in a way that will not be obvious.... is not necessarily easy. I might not be trusting of another... but then again, I might. It depends on the nature of the carrier, I suppose. No cook would add this without knowing what's happening, so... I don't know."

Cavir
2019-01-29, 09:21 PM
"I mean Albin picks up the food, meets up with us, you add the final touches, then Albin continues on his way. Might be useful to give Albin an antidote in case he gets the wrong item at the tower."

I'm fine with moving on. Points have been made for our chat with Albin.

PeacefulOak
2019-01-29, 09:26 PM
Xaanthios

Mostly content to let the point lie, Xaanthios takes a moment to channel his thoughts towards the slip and flow of time.

Manifesting Divination: What is the likely outcome of assisting Albin in his task?

J-H
2019-01-29, 09:54 PM
As the group discusses things, Xaanthios turns his formidable intellect towards probable future outcomes.

OOC: Aside from “Psionic X” I really don’t think Psionic Divination makes sense. What are you doing, simulating future timeline outcomes based on knowledge you don’t have?

IC:
Danger, bloodshed, assets.

J-H
2019-01-30, 12:01 AM
That night, Albin joins you. After examining the room carefully, he casts an Alarm spell just outside the door. “In this circumstance, paranoia is healthy. You have, I believe, assented to aid me in this endeavor?” At your nods, he continues. “Excellent. I have acquired a promise of aid from some retired adventurers who have an old grudge against Mezzir-Shazz, as well as some…philosophical differences…that I share.”

“Mezzir-Shazz is a tough and hardy dwarf, made even sturdier by the presence of a Shield Guardian golem he created. If he is cut? Half the depth of the wound heals instantly, and the golem acquires a new scratch matching half the cut. The golem itself has never displayed much agility or intelligence, but it’s still a half ton or more of animated metal to deal with.

There are some glyphs and sigils hidden within the tower, things to trap an intruder who does not know of their presence. The thieves guild has long since learned to leave us alone, and this is part of how. I will mark them on this map, which is a complete map of the tower save for Mezzir-Shazz’ own quarters. I did not dare to test his wards and traps, for what reason could I give?”

He takes a few moment to cast an Image spell. A picture of the outside of the tower appears. It then splits into 8 components, and each floor slides apart so that they can be viewed in detail. The images are not true-to-life, but provide a good overview of the layout of each floor.

https://i.ibb.co/Dw4vycH/mst1.jpg (https://ibb.co/P1xPnXv)
https://i.ibb.co/VvjbLmY/mst2.jpg (https://ibb.co/nDg4wCM)
https://i.ibb.co/CB2Q0xG/mst3.jpg (https://ibb.co/TcLthz3)
https://i.ibb.co/C0wXwjV/mst4.jpg (https://ibb.co/88mRmyP)

“I must ask that you refrain from excessively destructive area of effect spells. A fireball could wipe out years of research notes in a single go, ruin potions or make them explode, and the backblast could be dangerous to you as well. I want an intact tower, not a wrecked ruin. I would like some of the guardian golems to remain intact, but I am not so sanguine about the probability of that happening.

Do you have a rough plan of attack? What time of day do you think it best to strike?”

PeacefulOak
2019-01-30, 02:29 AM
Xaanthios

”Adventurers? You had implied that you were supported by a power sufficient to negate Mezzir-Shaz completely. Is it now expected that we carry the assault all the way to the most powerful wizard of this city?” Xaanthios shakes his head. “I have a substance that, when consumed, will negate any arcane or psion from nearly any ability to affect their powers. Dwarves are known for their hearty resistance to such poisons, so it is likely that at the least Mezzir-Shaz will be unaffected.”

“Is there a potential that immediately following a lunch break we might be able to attack? We would need to ensure that the lunch was heavily dosed with my herb, which might certainly require my presence. What day you?”

J-H
2019-01-30, 08:31 AM
"One of them is a psionicist of power equal to Mezzir-Shazz, and his companion is also powerful in her own right."
Albin smirks as he hears the plan to poison their food. "Your plan is devious. I like it. How much poison must be consumed? Does it have a taste? Is it visible once applied?"

BelGareth
2019-01-30, 12:07 PM
Rex narrows his eyes as he looks on the silent image....he counts, "one, two, three, four....7 Golems?" he says, exasperated "And what of this brass statue? is that a golem as well?" he says sarcastically "Do we have anything to help against these things? 7 Golems....is a lot."

J-H
2019-01-30, 12:35 PM
"The golems are numerous, and could prove distracting to my ability to manipulate arcane energies, yes, but they are not masterworks like the greater golems you may think of. They serve to deter or delay intruders, or to delay any summoned creature that breaks its bonds until someone with true power can intervene. If I were to pit a single summoned Howler against a single one of the golems, the outcome of the battle would be determined primarily by chance or environmental factors.

As for the brass statue, you already saw it on your brief visit. It seems to have some latent magic, but I have never seen anything come of it under any circumstance.

Remember, we are striking at wizards, not fools who leave their doors open against casual intrusion. Of course there are golems and traps, but you now have an account of most of them."

Cavir
2019-01-30, 01:07 PM
"Mezzir-Shaz and Brand are dwarves? There's been a Sierra mentioned. How many more are there? Are any not dwarves? Sounds like poison is going be a bad idea this time around. Gives them a heads up that something is wrong and loses our chance for surprise. Is there a time when the apprentices mostly leave the tower for an hour or two?"

"What about protections against teleportation and invisibility? Any Alarm spells about? We set off a bell passing through the arch. Need to get past that first or else that winged toad will set off the alarm."

"What activates the golems? By sight or by verbal command? Can they see through invisibility? Can they be fooled through disguise and given different orders?"

"If we have to enter from the ground floor I think sound control is vital. With a wand of Silence we could hit each floor with it and shut down their specialty. That also keeps the floors above from hearing battle."

"Xaan, are you able to reshape walls and floors? If you reshape the stairwell to enclose it one level at a time that might keep the golems from activating if they cn't see us. Baring that, reshaping the floor to make a wall for us and a hole for them to fall down to lower levels would be helpful."

Cendrik looks to Albin. "What is your team's plan? Follow behind us then take the lead once Mezzir-Shaz is reached? If you are already with Mezzir-Shaz you could pretend to help fight then catch him unaware. A Message spell between us all would help."

J-H
2019-01-30, 02:12 PM
"There are three apprentices in total. No-one qualified to replace Loodon has been found yet. You have met Brand, and the other is Sierra, who as I mentioned earlier focuses on warding and chromatic magics. We all reside in the tower, and I cannot predict if or when someone might leave for some reason. The distance I can reach with telepathic magics is short, and waiting near the tower for several days would likely draw attention.

The tower is not warded against Teleportation, but of all of us, Mezzir-Shazz is the only one able to cast that spell. The tower is warded against scrying, and it's not possible to teleport to someplace you have not seen.

There are Alarm spells on the first and second floor doors to the stairs, keyed to us; since the stairs enter and exit the main room on each floor, that is sufficient; anyone invisible would reveal himself by opening a door, and the golems have standing orders to deal with intruders who are not escorted or verbally authorized. Mezzir-Shazz is the only one able to give them deviations from their standard orders, and I do not know if they will respond to a disguise; I suppose they might. Since my studies have taken a different path, I have not delved extensively into construct mentalities.

Our plan is for you to strike at the first floor, likely drawing Brand, Sierra, or both away - hopefully not myself - and then my allies will enter through an upper window into whatever floor Mezzir-shazz and myself are in, and engage him once the other two are out of the room and busy with you. I can coordinate via telepathic message."

BelGareth
2019-01-30, 02:48 PM
Rex nods as he listens. "2 golems on the first floor, 2 apprentices, and whatever they can throw at us, are you needing us to push upward and support you once we're done, or merely a distraction?"

J-H
2019-01-30, 02:55 PM
"I don't expect Mezzir-Shazz to send more than one down to deal with you at first. Come as far up as you can. We may need the help, and Brand may conjure up more servants as time goes on."

Cavir
2019-01-30, 03:29 PM
Cendrik's eyebrow raises. "When Melinda and I were there Brand said it cost 500gp for an audience. Draw him to the ground level with that then the rest of both parties rush through the archway? Rules out most of the golems getting involved along, maybe an apprentice too, and focuses our power while he may have left some of his offensive power upstairs."

BelGareth
2019-02-05, 12:55 PM
"No, that won't work, we'll either just get an apprentice, or we'll all be in the same room, and it will be a free for all." Neither of those are good ideas.

"Our job, is to get into the first floor, and distract the 2 other apprentices, and if possible, disable them, and move onwards and upwards to assist with the Master." He looks to everyone to make sure they understood their task, it was imperative that they did. "Now, we know one summons creatures, creatures we can deal with" he eyes Cendrik, "Golems are present at the first and 6th floor, 2 and 4 respectively, these are not the golems of lore, made of steel or stone, but lesser ones" he eyes Albin "These will be tough, but I think we can manage them, they are slow constructs, with little abilities, we can move about them, avoid them if we can. From our discussions, it sounds like Melinda has several spells that can control the battlefield, walls of fire, black tentacles, tripping hands, these can be used to control the golems, cut up the battlefield, and harass the apprentices, and her more destructive spells can be focused on the apprentices, and if need be, the golems. Xaans, construct likewise can do the same things, but should focus on the apprentices, putting them out of action is a primary goal, he too can summon walls, which will help with all the summons, golems, and ourselves. If we're smart, we can control the battlefield, and if we do that, we'll have the upper hand. Cendrik and myself, will either engage the golems or summoned creatures away from you two, so you can dispatch the apprentices."

He looks around, hoping everyone was on track.

"Issues we might have are, getting into the first floor tower, alarms are apparently all over the place, and secondly, our own ability to ignore the battlefield spells we are going to employ to hamper our enemies, will do likewise. We need solutions to these." he looks to the others "is there anything that will allow us to fly? or levitate, or something similar?" he shakes his head, he was no caster and had no idea what was possible. "And, do we even need to enter the tower? could we engage whomever shows up, and then move into the tower? that might be better, and easier to fight outside?"

Cavir
2019-02-05, 09:04 PM
Cendrik nods at the reasoned rejection of his idea and listens to Rex's more detailed plan.

"Go through them the old fashioned way. Fine with me as long as my blades will cut those things. The glyph and the minotaur are more my concerns. How do we cancel the glyph? We leave Brand alive and unconscious then throw his body at it? Hmm, why wait til he's down." Cendrik grins evilly on the thought. "Summoning a simple dog would do nicely too."

"Last time we entered a homunculus greeted us before Brand came down. I suggest we start the same way with any two of us going in then once an apprentice comes down the other two enter. We take out the apprentice and homunculus right away to keep Mezzir-Shazz in the dark about how much a threat we are. Don't want him teleporting down to us and miss his own special treat."

Cendrik gets lost in thought for just a moment then pulls out a tanglefoot bag. "And I've got just the thing to keep a caster from stepping away to cast safely."

BelGareth
2019-02-07, 12:54 PM
Rex nods a the Cendriks remarks, "Yes, that sounds like an excellent plan." he looks to the others "Anything else to add? We should rest up, or are we ok doing this today?"

I'm good to move forward and begin this shindig

Cavir
2019-02-10, 09:40 PM
"Come to think of it, with going up against mages and their summons a wand of Protection from Evil would be quite useful. Don't need them controlling one of us and making their summons useless would be very helpful. Perhaps our new friend can front us one since it would help assure his goals?"

"When to attack? Late in the afternoon if they are spending their days casting but before dusk where their eyes give them an advantage and before they put up their nighttime protection spells. If we can get the wand or at least some potions of it today I'm fine with this afternoon. Tomorrow at the latest." Cendrik looks to Albin for his comments on time of day and getting them one item.

J-H
2019-02-10, 09:50 PM
Albin shakes his head. "I don't have wands just sitting around. We use potions for that sort of thing - cheaper, and usable by anyone at any time. They can even be used by a homunculus on a paralyzed person. I can reimburse you in kind afterwards."

BelGareth
2019-02-11, 12:47 PM
Rex nods, he had no idea such a spell existed, or even worked that way. "Yes, we can go out and look today? Would such a spell arise suspicion?" he says to Malinda and Xaan

Kish
2019-02-11, 05:04 PM
"If someone happened to have a cantrip to detect magic active, they would notice it. Whether they would find it suspicious is another question; it's a good spell to maintain for lots of reasons, and there are ways for a powerful enough spellcaster to maintain it continually."

Cavir
2019-02-11, 10:10 PM
"Good point, plus a potion won't last that long. We should have them and use them the first chance we get after the fight starts. Best for us to never let the first apprentice to get off even one spell. Rex you can talk to them and when the time is right I'll teleport behind them and stab away."

"Notice the colored areas on the 4th and 6th floors. Need to keep them out of the blue at any cost and make use of the red ourselves."

"While shopping, one or two scrolls of Silence would be very helpful. A Dispel Magic just in case could be handy but expensive. I can use some scrolls."

The 6 squares for each stair area- could we get a description please? Are there doors on each level or open stairway? Where do you come out of the stairs? If the access is on the left side the traps are an issue for floors 1 and 4.

I can afford 1 Prot/Evil potion and that's about it. Will buy one the next day before the attack. I'm ok with a fast forward. If others want to pursue other leads during that day we can. Still have the other apprentice and the thief as leads.

J-H
2019-02-11, 10:43 PM
The stairs are half-circle shaped. They are entered on the left side (left two squares) and arc up and to the right, exiting on the right two squares of the floor above. They’re actually, as noted, around 7’ wide, but I can only draw increments of 5’.

J-H
2019-02-14, 10:38 PM
You finalize your plans with Albin. He’ll wait for your attack to start, and then signal his “patron,” whoever that might be. Cendrik purchases a potion of Protection From Evil, and other than that, you spend the next day stretching, practicing, and generally preparing for battle. The hours seem to drag on, but finally it’s late afternoon – time to move out! You leave the inn trying to look casual. The day is slightly cloudy, and a cool breeze blows down from the mountains above.

Rex and Cendrik approach the tower.

Rex & Cendrik
As you pass through the arch, you hear a faint ringing sound upstairs, as that of a bell.

A tiny reddish figure that looks sort of like a humanoid winged toad lands in front of you. Melinda easily recognizes it as a homunculus, a mute construct created by some wizards. It looks up at the two of you and studies you, and then makes a questioning gesture. Rex hefts a pouch with the telltale clinking a sizeable amount of gold coins.

The homunculus holds a hand up with one finger upraised, a signal to wait, and then points to one of the nearby sitting areas in a silent offer.

The same wizard as before, Brand, comes down the steps. “You’re back I see, with a new friend, and payment. What can we help you with today? Tell me what you’re after, and I can take you to the right part of the tower.

Melinda & Xaanthios
Melinda and Xaanthios stay farther back, out of sight of the door. The two outside are about 80’ away from the entry archway. After Rex and Cendrik head inside, Xaanthios notices a familiar face nearby – the psion, Filister, is walking nearby, looking down at the nearby stream that flows along the edge of the city.

https://i.ibb.co/pnKYFk1/mst-rd-0.jpg (https://ibb.co/Bw60MYf)

=> Surprise round = 1 standard or move action, then we go to Initiative

Cavir
2019-02-14, 11:58 PM
"Yes, we are here about the payment." Cendrik suddenly darts at Brand and starts slicing into him with both magical tiger claws attached to his hands. "We're looking to fill up the pouch and far more."

Combat with Cendrik finally. Yeah!

Charge to Q9. Already in Assassin's Stance (2d6 sneak, +2 saves). Claws' special ability to attack with both when charging or using Spring Attack. If both hit then +3d6 rending damage.

Claw1: [roll0] crit: [roll1] (+2 charging, -2 TWF)
damage: [roll2] + [roll3] Sneak
crit: [roll4]

Claw2: [roll5] crit: [roll6] (+2 charging, -2 TWF)
damage: [roll7] + [roll8] Sneak
crit: [roll9]

If both claws hit, rending: damage: [roll10]

AC 21/15T/17FF (-2 charging)

BelGareth
2019-02-15, 11:26 AM
Rex walks through and hears the small chime, then smiles at the small homonculus, in another time, he would have loved a chat.

He opens his mouth to speak, but Cendrik beats him, so eager to the punch, that he surprises Rex even with his blinding speed! Rex, seeing the moment vanish, barks out a lash of lightning towards the mage.

30ft line, so will 5ft to reposition if need be to avoid allies.
[roll0] DC 20 for half
[roll1]

[roll2]
Everyone note, Rex had the senses aura up, so +2 to init

Rex (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=914668)
HP's: 136/136
AC: 26
T: 11 FF: 26
Effects: Breath recover in 1 round

J-H
2019-02-15, 12:52 PM
Surprise Round
Cendrik darts forward, slashing with the claws on his fingers. Only one connects, as the other is deflected by armored bracers that sit underneath the voluminous sleeves on his mage robe. Rex breathes lightning, scorching the dwarf, one of the golems, and the homunculus.

Cendrik hits for 9 damage.
Remember, line spells travel down intersections, so they impact a 2-square wide area. You hit the homunculus, Brand, and golem 1. 14 electrical damage, Ref DC 20 half.
Brand Ref [roll0]
Hom Ref [roll1]
G1 Ref [roll2]
all fail

Brand 23 damage
Homunculus 14 damage
G1 14 damage

=> Party wins initiative! Go!

BelGareth
2019-02-15, 01:41 PM
Rex growls as the mage is hit by Cendriks blow and his breath reaches past him and touches the homoculus and golem.

Stepping up to the mage, he draws his weapon, "Best surrender mageling, else you'll be wyvern fodder by the end of the day" he says, simply, and with a deep intensity, that suggests he is not joking.

Move action: Move to P8 and draw weapon
Standard: Attempt to Demoralize Opponent (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/intimidate.htm)

[roll0]

If successful, Imperious Command feat turns the Shaken status into Cowering (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#cowering) status

HP's: 136/136
Effects: Iron Guards Glare stance (-4 on attacks vs allies to opponents that I threaten)

J-H
2019-02-15, 02:16 PM
As RexThaun approaches and raises his sword, Brand flickers out of sight, abruptly appearing on the stairs, 10' farther back.

Above action voided by flat-footedness.

Is Rex in O8 or P8?

Important update: I realized that the Ghoul Glyph in O6 should be in N6. Otherwise, it completely blocks access to the stairs. I will move it on the next map posting

Kish
2019-02-15, 09:27 PM
Melinda rushes into the building.

Move to O14.

Cavir
2019-02-15, 11:00 PM
Cendrik focuses ending on Brand's life, hoping to finish him off before the golems came into play. He was impressed with the bolt of lightning from the dragonborn. Guess the swordsage was off when asking about breathing fire.

Full attack TWF.

Claw1a: [roll0] crit: [roll1] (tgt flatfooted and cowering?)
damage: [roll2] + [roll3] Sneak
crit: [roll4]

Claw1b: [roll5] crit: [roll6] (tgt flatfooted and cowering?)
damage: [roll7] + [roll8] Sneak
crit: [roll9]

Claw2: [roll10] crit: [roll11] (tgt flatfooted and cowering?)
damage: [roll12] + [roll13] Sneak
crit: [roll14]

If both claws hit at least once, rending: damage: [roll15]

EDIT: Interesting how all the regular damage lines total 14 on each strike

J-H
2019-02-16, 12:23 AM
Round 1, Part 1

RexThaun approaches, raising his sword and trying to shake Brand’s spirit, as Cendrik slashes at the dwarf repeatedly. Overwhelmed, the dwarf cowers as his flesh is slashed and torn by Cendrik.

He rolled a natural 20 for a 31 against that 32.
Claws hit, hit, hit, and rend for 14+14+14+14 = 56 damage.

Brand 65 damage

Round 1, Part 2

“Help!” Brand calls out. “Defend me!” The two golems, like oversized metal gorillas, extend their long arms and try to pound RexThaun and Cendrik into the ground, not even needing to move to reach them, as the homunculus moves up behind Cendrik. Their blows are clumsy, and only one has any effect.

G1 vs Rex
Slam [roll0] for [roll1] miss
Slam [roll2] for [roll3] hit for 11

G2 vs Cendrik
Slam [roll4] for [roll5] miss
Slam [roll6] for [roll7] miss

Homunculus bite vs Cendrik
[roll8] for [roll9] and poison if it hits. miss

You hear something thumping down the stairs, and see some sort of wolf-like creature with a goblinoid face rushing down at Brand’s call. It appears to be a barghest.
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/forgottenrealms/images/f/f6/Barghest-5e.jpg/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/699?cb=20161216220156

The accumulated injures are too much for Brand, and he dies.

https://i.ibb.co/sbH6VfZ/mst-rd-1.jpg (https://ibb.co/RYyBDFq)
Brand dead

Rex 11 damage

=> Party

Cavir
2019-02-16, 05:12 PM
Primary mission accomplished but starting to get surrounded Cendrik takes a step back. He quickly circles his arms upward, outward, downward, and back to center. As his claws collide with each other flames are sparked. The flames race around the battlefield hitting all of the enemies starting with the homunculus and ending with the tapestry hanging on the western wall.

An idea pops into Cendrik's mind after watching for the former apprentice calling for help from the golems. With an authoritative voice he calls out to the golems. "Help! Defend me!" Who knows, maybe it was just a command phrase and the wizards didn't specify who could give the commands.

5' step to P10.

Maneuver Firesnake. 60' line that twists as desired. 6d6 fire with Reflex DC 16 for half. Line goes just east to hit the toad, then north to the G2, west to hit the goblin wolf, trap and G1, then finishes at the tapestry. Maybe that will help get rid of the 2 traps too.
Fire [roll0]

BelGareth
2019-02-18, 12:56 PM
Rex grits as the golems bash into him, one finding it's mark even as he lifts his shield to protect his flank, clipping the fist, and sending tremors reverberating down his arm and into his chest.

He stepped forward, to intercept the strange looking goblin faced dog, and hopefully stall for his comrades long enough.

"Cendrik, step back, remember the mission." hoping his companion would realize, that they needed to lure the golems away from thr doors, so they could go up the stairs.

He swings his sword to the side, and loudly declares "You shall go back to whence you came!" to the dog-thing and swings with the fury of his Lord King.

Steely Resolve: 5/5
Damage taken: 6
free action: 5ft step over Brands body to P8
Swift: activate Law devotion to AC (+3)
Standard: Initiate Vanguard Strike vs Barghest

(+1 from furious counterstrike)
[roll0]
[roll1] & [roll2]

Vanguard strike: if hit, all allies receive +4 bonus to hit with ranged and melee attacks until next round.

HP's: 130/136
AC: 29
T: 11 FF: 29
Effects: Iron Guards Glare stance (-4 on attacks vs allies to opponents that I threaten), LAW devotion (9/10)
Maneuvers available: Vanguard Strike, Shield Block, Douse the Flames

PeacefulOak
2019-02-19, 12:19 PM
Xaanthios

Having finally reached the door, the abrupt start of the situation having left him completing his preparatory powers before advancing, Xaanthios takes a quick scan of the room and determines that immediate help is required. Expending his vast focus, he calls on his companion to appear.

"Come, AVALON! Strike down these infidels for our sovereign!"

Particles of matter crystallize from the air to form a tall figure with massive arms and claws, and a crown where there should have been a head. Legs that extend down into leonine paws and the faintest flicker of a tail complete the construct, which unleashes a strange screeching cry as it lashes out with two claws, one at the Barghest and the other at the golem that struck Rex.

[roll0] to hit Barghest for [roll1] damage
[roll2] to hit Golem 1 for [roll3] damage

Ongoing: Vigor (shared) +40HP
Inertial Armor (shared) +10AC
Share Pain

Construct 7/7 rounds
HP: 47 AC: 22 F: +1, R: +3, W: +1
Attack: 2 claws +10 (2d6+7)

Kish
2019-02-20, 08:25 PM
Sorry about the delay!

Melinda quickly assesses the situation. No room for a fireball. That dog might be hard to hit with an orb. She casts, and a shimmering violet wall of fire appears, cutting through all the visible enemies.

Wall of Fire through all of row 7, directing heat north. Damage to those inside it: [roll0]

J-H
2019-02-20, 10:34 PM
Round 2, Part 1

Rex steps forward, slashing at the barghest (hit for 16 damage). Xaanthios summons an astral construct, which hits the barghest hard (crit! For 24) as well as one of the golems (hit G1 for 15).

Melinda calls into being a wall of flames, radiating fire towards the stairway; Cendrik also summons a raging torrent of fire. His call seems to have no effect on the constructs.

Wall of Fire, 22 fire damage

AC takes [roll0] damage

Fire Snake, 26 damage, Ref DC 16 half
Ba [roll1] fail
G1 [roll2] fail
G2 [roll3] fail

One of the golems collapses into smoking ruins, and the barghest also falls to the ground, shimmering out of sight as it disappears back to its home plane. As intended, the tapestry is burning.

Homunculus 14 damage
G1 67 damage destroyed
G2 48 damage
Barghest 68 damage dead

AC 5 damage
Rex 11 damage
Xaanthios +40 temp HP; Share Pain

J-H
2019-02-20, 10:49 PM
Round 2, Part 2

The remaining golem steps forward, flames running across its body, and swings at Cendrik and Rex.

It was already in the fire, so I am assuming that moving around within the fire isn’t extra damage… but it will take full damage again on Melinda’s turn if not dead by then.

Rex Slam [roll0] for [roll1]
Cendrik Slam [roll2] for [roll3]

The homunculus flies away from Cendrik, landing on a piece of furniture and making rude gestures with its hands.

https://i.ibb.co/QvQ4ZNq/mst-rd-2.jpg (https://ibb.co/23hTwtL)

Homunculus 14 damage
G1 67 damage destroyed
G2 48 damage
Barghest 68 damage dead

AC 5 damage
Rex 11 damage
=> Party

Kish
2019-02-20, 10:57 PM
Concluding that the remaining golem is as good as destroyed, Melinda steps forward into the room and points at the homunculus.

Move to N12, Magic Missile on the homunculus: [roll0] force damage.

Wall of Fire damage to the golem for this round: [roll1]

Cavir
2019-02-20, 11:31 PM
Cendrik is impressed the homunculus avoids his firesnake then tries to make an escape. Melinda's magic blasts the thing. Need to ensure it's dead. Cendrik easily slips away from the golem's threat and moves to the homunculus. He jumps up high and uses the pull of the earth to add power to his strike.

Tumble to S11. +18 for auto pass. Death from Above maneuver. Land in the same square I started in.
Jump DC 20: [roll0]
If successful: +4d6 damage and target is flat-footed for this attack.

Claw1: [roll1] (flat-footed?)
damage: [roll2] (+2 with TC strike) + [roll3] strike damage

J-H
2019-02-21, 08:18 AM
The homunculus collapses into a pool of blood, and the other golem is destroyed by the wall of fire.

BelGareth
2019-02-21, 11:49 AM
Rex looks around, blinking in surprise. "Well that was much easier than i thought it would be, Ms Melinda, you are a potent ally to have!" he barks out a laugh.

"We are stuck until it runs out?"

Cavir
2019-02-21, 12:12 PM
"Xaan's pet is already on the other side, it should continue up the stairs enough to get out of the flames. I can teleport to the far side of the flames and resist the flames enough to join it. I can scout ahead, coming back through the flames if there is an issue."

Flame's Blessing for Fire Resist 10.

Kish
2019-02-21, 12:24 PM
"I can teleport past it too. Sorry. I wasn't expecting them to fold so quickly either, so I expected its ongoing damage to the golems and the big dog thing to make it worth it. It will remain there until one minute from the time I cast it." Melinda walks up to her wall of fire, looking at it with chagrin.

PeacefulOak
2019-02-21, 12:41 PM
Xaanthios

"Avalon will get clear and guard the far side until we are able to follow.
It is regretable that we are not able to easily push ahead, but that is what it is. The element of surprise was ours. Hopefully we can maintain it."

Xaanthios mentally directs Avalon to move just out of range of the heat so as to guard the stairs without taking damage from the wall. He moves in to the center of the room, scanning about.

Move to P9.

Cavir
2019-02-21, 11:06 PM
"Have... Avalon protect me? I'll keep to the stairs to watch for anything coming and can teleport back." With a flash of blackness Cendrik is suddenly on the other side of the firewall halfway up the stairs.

Swift: Flames Blessing Stance (Fire Resist 10)
Shadow Jaunt (Teleport) to P4 to keep watch. Semi-crouching so I should be able to see at least some of the next level while keeping cover. Next round if nothing is happening I'll use Adaptive Style to reset my maneuvers. If the party is going to wait out the flames and I don't see any enemies I'll slip to Q4 and keep watch from there for the time.

BelGareth
2019-02-22, 12:18 PM
Rex shakes his head, this was not good, he pushed through, gritting his teeth and closing his eyes from the fire.

Double action to move through and up the stairs.

J-H
2019-02-22, 01:48 PM
Round 3

The remaining enemies are finished off.

Wall of Fire expires on round 10, part 1
AC 5 damage
Rex 11 damage

Round 4

Cendrik teleports over to the stairs. The Astral construct stands above him, halfway around the curving staircase and taking minor damage (4 damage). You hear an angry shout from upstairs, and some thumping noises echo down.

Rex stomps up the stairs past them, ignoring the pain (21 damage)

https://i.ibb.co/GctqrN1/mst-rd-4.jpg (https://ibb.co/86dHQtR)
AC 9 damage
Rex 32 damage

=> Party

Kish
2019-02-22, 04:03 PM
Melinda grits her teeth and pops past the wall, hurrying up the stairs after the construct and Rex.

Using Anklet of Translocation to teleport past the wall as a swift action.

BelGareth
2019-02-22, 04:18 PM
Rex gets the next floor and sees nothing worth staying for, and heads for the stairs, his calf muscles were burning wearing this armor heading up stairs, good thing he had some down time!

Next floor!

HP's: 104/136
Effects: Iron Guards Glare stance (-4 on attacks vs allies to opponents that I threaten), LAW devotion (8/10)
Maneuvers available: Vanguard Strike, Shield Block, Douse the Flames, Battle Leaders Charge

[roll0]

Battle Leaders Charge
Foehammer

Cavir
2019-02-27, 07:10 AM
Let's hope that's the other half of the plan." Cendrik pauses, waiting for Xaan to catch up. He uses the moment to refocus himself.

Adaptive Style to redo maneuvers. 5' step to P22. Kish didn't specify a destination. Perhaps somewhere like Q22?

PeacefulOak
2019-02-28, 05:31 PM
Xaanthios

With a thought, the psion's anklets shimmer and teleport him to the other side of the wall of flames, from which he quickly dashes to join his companions and Avalon at the top of the stairs, ensuring they are all out of the flame's heat. He scans the room, directing Avalon to watch the stairs above to ensure no danger is coming down.

Blink across the flames, Move to P21, direct Avalon up the stairs enough to be out of the flames and between us and the further upstairs.

[roll0] spot check

J-H
2019-03-01, 10:59 PM
Round 5

Rex runs upstairs to the third floor, and doesn’t see any signs of activity.

Melinda flicks past her wall of fire, running up to the 2nd floor, as does Xaanthios. Cendik checks out the room, seeing it as described.

The “Today’s menu board” draws your eyes as it begins moving towards the stairwell. Something must be pushing or pulling it, but whatever is doing it is invisible, and you don’t hear any footsteps. It’s moved until the board bumps into Xaanthios and stops.

Everyone was told the previous evening that the menu board has Sepia Snake Sigil (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/sepiaSnakeSigil.htm) embedded on it as a trap.

I assume that the nature of SSS was probably discussed briefly. That said – it’s a thing moving towards your characters with printed matter on it, and that naturally draws the eye for anyone who’s reading-inclined, and everyone has slept since that discussion.

Make an INT check or a WIS check, your choice, against DC 10 to avoid reading the words if you think your character would avoid it. If your character is one that would likely read anything, you can skip the check if you want.

It’s then a Reflex DC 18 to negate the effect if you read it. Whoever reads it first discharges the effect.

If you succeed on your INT or WIS check and are next to the menu board, you can make a Reflex DC 20 check (representing acting really fast as a reaction) to knock it down or smash it so that nobody else can read it.

Rex sees a female mage protected by several spells step onto the stairs above him. Looking through the banister, she casts a spell, and he finds that most of the room is enveloped in a pattern of gently glowing lights running the full spectrum of colors in the rainbow, moving in gentle, waving lines. It’s no doubt very entertaining, but he refuses to be distracted. Nobody else in the party can see it yet.

https://i.ibb.co/bXdc15Q/mst-rd-5.jpg (https://ibb.co/WfKmnvG)

AC 9 damage
Rex 32 damage

=> Party

Cavir
2019-03-02, 08:08 AM
Mages were to be feared and the group planned on assaulting three of them. Apparently unlike the others in the group, Cendrik considered the traps that Albin told them about to be just as dangerous. They had put aside his discussions on how to deal with them or how to deal if one was set off. Having a summoned dog or an astral construct destroy them before the party could get close was ideal to the swordsage. Apparently the traps would be left to him. That's why his fire snake included burning the tapestry back on the ground floor. That's why he paused here and kept his eyes on the stairways waiting for Xaan from below and anything coming down, while his martial focused on the rest of the floor. The movement to his left triggered his instincts. He snapped his claws together and started off another fire snake to catch anything in that whole section of the room that wasn't an ally. "Mind the traps! Two more next level."

"must deliberately read it". The board moving meant fire snake without more than looking at the legs of the board. Hopefully that avoids the roll for reading or at least gives a bonus.
Just in case, WIS DC 10:
Reflex DC 18: [roll1]

Firesnake: 60' line that turns. Use the lower right corner of each square listed. Damage can only be taken once by any target. Reflex DC 16 for half fire damage.
Damage: [roll]6d6] (From OOC: 28)
Path: O21, N21, M21, M20, L20, L21, L22, L23, L24, M24, N24, N23, O23

Then move to Q19.

PeacefulOak
2019-03-03, 06:03 PM
Xaanthios

Years honing his mind grants Xaanthios the focus to avoid the sigil’s influence as it rushes forward, although a moment’s thought considers the added danger of having them thrust forth.

”Be wary of traps that move, as well. Stay sharp, friends.”A thought sends Avalon charging up the stairs past Rex and out into the library, unnatural eyes scanning for threats to demolish.

Avalon moves to O38, should be immune to whatever is up there (but I could be wrong). It attacks (or diverts to attack if it sees an opponent it could reach), and failing that readies an action to attack any non-ally that approaches. Xaanthios stays put for the moment.

Kish
2019-03-03, 06:21 PM
"So far so good." Melinda comes to a stop as well, waiting for some indication of what's going on with the minions.

BelGareth
2019-03-04, 02:12 PM
Rex eyes narrow as the air is filled with sparkling lights, he growls low as he realizes it is magical tricker! Seeing the mage above him, he yells out to the others "I found the other, quickly, up the stairs!" as he keeps going, sword ready to deliver a strike.

free action: law devotion into attack bonus
Move up and single attack the mage

Initiate Foehammer (=2d6 and ignores DR)
[roll0]
[roll1] & [roll2] & [roll3]

Effects: Iron Guards Glare stance (-4 on attacks vs allies to opponents that I threaten), LAW devotion (7/10)
Maneuvers available: Vanguard Strike, Shield Block, Douse the Flames, Battle Leaders Charge, Foehammer

Foehammer

Kish
2019-03-04, 02:22 PM
At Rex's yell, Melinda runs up behind him, though she hasn't yet seen who he's yelling about.

J-H
2019-03-04, 10:14 PM
Round 6, Part 1

Cendrik unleashes a wave of flame that writhes through the room, destroying the trapped menu board. It briefly outlines a medium-sized invisible blob behind the menu board, but the unseen creature disintegrates into nothingness immediately. Cendrik moves back and down the steps slightly in case there are more threats.

The Astral construct runs up and around the stairs, into the library and between two of the stacks.

Xaanthios stays where he is. RexThaun runs up the stairs, swinging his sword, but it bounces off of the layers of magical protection against the caster. Melinda follows at his call, running into the pattern of glowing lights.

Round 6, Part 2

The lights moving in the air are very pretty. Rex and Melinda both stop to look around at them. Sierra backs up the stairs, moving away from RexThaun.

(Melinda can ID it, if she’s not distracted)
Rex & Melinda are both in it. There is no text stating that if you make your save, you are immune to it for the next 24 hours (as is present for other mind-effecting spells)…. So Will Save DC 19
Rex Will [roll0]
Melinda Will [roll1]

Rex AOO [roll2] for [roll3] plus [roll4] electricity.
Fascination offers a second saving throw if a hostile creature is attacking, moving closer, etc. Sierra has not technically attacked Rex, and she's moving away, so I think Rex is not entitled to a second save.

https://i.ibb.co/hgBGfwQ/mst-rd-6.jpg (https://ibb.co/ZfBQm74)

AC 9 damage
Rex 32 damage, fascinated
Melinda fascinated

=> Party

Cavir
2019-03-05, 07:42 AM
At least for now Cendrik is able to stay focused on the mission and not the enemy spell's effects. He calls downstairs. "Xaan, hurry up. Some mesmerizing light spell this level. Close your eyes and use the inner railing to get past it. Have Avalon bump Melinda then catch up to me to defend me so it knows where to go."

Cendrik darts up the stairs past Melinda. As he goes around he notices Rex also mesmerized. Stopping just past him so that the swordsage is beyond the spell he takes notice of the next level to decide his next action.

Move to the same spot on the next level as I am now (30' using diagonals). If I see Sierra where I can teleport 10' and be in melee range then I'll use my boots to swift teleport 10' and attack her with Death from Above. Otherwise I backhand (not stab, nonlethal) Rex to get his attention. I can roll the appropriate stuff later.

J-H
2019-03-05, 08:28 AM
Cendrik runs up the stairs, jostling RexThaun and snapping him back into wakefulness from "land of pretty colors."
He reaches the top of the stairs, and sees Sierra standing a ways away, behind a fiery snake-creature holding a spear; Cendrik can't identify it. The creature is flanked by two small air elementals and a small fire elemental.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/e1/7e/28/e17e28549a8b8a1a64533f7bb7e403d5.png

https://i.ibb.co/FhMhzgx/msg-7a.jpg (https://ibb.co/zmYmZGn)

=> Rest of Party

Cavir
2019-03-05, 09:36 AM
Cendrik sees the array of enemies ahead. He smacks the dragonborn behind him. "Come on, get to it."

He calls downstairs. "Plenty of summoned creatures here! Use your potions and hurry up!

BelGareth
2019-03-05, 11:15 AM
The colors were annoying him, but they swirled in such a peculiar way, he had a hard time ignoring them, but no, this wouldn't do, a crusader of Great Leader, being distracted, he wandered where the others were, Melinda was near by, wasn't she? And what about Cendrik? he couldn't see them.

And then he got smacked in the face, Cendrik mumbling something, he was somewhere else, how?

Shaking the lights from his head, he'll have to figure that out later, and smack Cendrik as well, but he needed to focus, moving forward, he flanked his companion, and swung at the nearest monster, they needed to get a handle on this second mage.

Free action Law devotion into AC
Move to Q51 if i can avoid an OOA (moving diagonally?) or P51 if not.
Swing at nearest with foehammer

[roll0]
[roll1] & [roll2] & [roll3]

Effects: Iron Guards Glare stance (-4 on attacks vs allies to opponents that I threaten), LAW devotion (6/10)
Maneuvers available: Foehammer, Douse the Flames

Vanguard Strike
Shield Block
Douse the Flames
Battle Leaders Charge
Foehammer

Cavir
2019-03-10, 10:42 PM
Xaanthios

The psion instinctively knew how to protect himself from visual spells. He closes his eyes and opens his mind to the world around him through a telekinetic field that exceeded the width of the tower. He then hurries up the stairs to try to catch up. Reaching the next level he pokes at Melinda to wake her from her stupor then orders Avalon to head up and attack what Cendrik fights.

Xaan's buffs (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=23719243&postcount=1003):
Vigor cast with 8PP: 40 temp HP to me and Psi-crystal (Overchannel/Talented, no risk)
Inertial Armor cast with 7PP: +10 AC to Me and Psi-crystal (which is in a pocket)
Share Pain (3PP): Sharing damage with psi-crystal.

Activate Touchsight at minimum power. 5PP (37 remaining) for touchsight out to 60' for 7 minutes. Move to P35 and poke Melinda.

Avalon moves to Q49 and attacks the air elemental at R50.
Attack: [roll0] crit: [roll1]
damage: [roll2] crit: [roll3]

Kish
2019-03-12, 12:59 PM
Jolted awake, Melinda runs up the stairs. Stopping behind Cendrik, she debates tactics before deciding that she'd better deal with Sierra quickly before they're overwhelmed by summons. She chants quickly, flicking out one of her hands in a throwing motion.

Using Sudden Empower on Orb of Fire: Critical threat check: [roll]1d20+4 Damage: [roll1] Critical damage: [roll2] x 1.5, fire, and if it hits she needs to make a DC 20 Fortitude save or be dazed for one round.

J-H
2019-03-12, 09:36 PM
Round 7, Part 1

Cendrik runs up the stairs, jostling RexThaun and snapping him back into wakefulness from "land of pretty colors."

He reaches the top of the stairs, and sees Sierra standing a ways away, behind a fiery snake-creature holding a spear; Cendrik can't identify it. The creature is flanked by two small air elementals and a small fire elemental.

RexThaun follows upstairs, moving around Cendrik and swinging his blade in a heavy stroke at the snake-creature (hit for 24).

Xaanthios manifests Touchsight, moving up with his eyes shut. His Astral construct shakes Melinda out of her stupor. Opening his eyes as he arrives at the top of the stairs, Xaanthios recognizes small earth and fire elementals, but can’t quite place the fiery snake-thing, beyond the fact that it’s an extraplanar fiery-snake thing with a spear. (rolled a 3 on K:Planes).

Melinda follows her up, flinging a powerful orb of fire. Sierra glances her way in time to see it, and dodges enough that whatever magical protections she has keep it from hitting her (touch attack did not land!).

Round 7, Part 2

Sierra makes some strange gestures, and a flickering veil of orange light surrounds her. The bubble of glowing orange energy makes it nearly impossible to make out her form – you know where she is, but her exact movements are now concealed. Xaanthios recognizes it as some sort of sophisticated barrier spell, likely one that would deal damage to anyone trying to reach through it (Psicraft/Spellcraft). Melinda is pretty sure that it would stop any sort of magical ray attack, and that the concealment granted would make those pretty chancy anyway. She thinks she remembers that wind effects of a sufficiently high level work against orange prismatic walls, and this should be something similar (K: Arcana).

The snake creature stabs at RexThaun thrice, then spins in place, slapping with its tail. The spear glows red with flames. The small fire elemental tries to follow suit, as do the air elementals – all focused on the one target they can most easily hit. One spear blow runs deep, and the creature's tail gives the dragonborn a stout clout as well.

Spear [roll0] for [roll1] damage plus [roll2] fire hit for 12 damage
(haste) Spear [roll3] for [roll4] damage plus [roll5] fire miss
Spear [roll6] for [roll7] damage plus [roll8] fire miss
Tail slap [roll9] for [roll10] and [roll11] fire hit for 18 damage

all the little elemental attacks miss
SFE [roll12] for [roll13] (reg + fire damage) and I’ll roll burning stuff if it manages to hit with a 20; +2 from flanking
Haste SFE [roll14] for [roll15] (reg + fire damage) and I’ll roll burning stuff if it manages to hit with a 20; +2 from flanking
SAE1 [roll16] for [roll17]; +2 from flanking
Haste SAE1 [roll18] for [roll19]; +2 from flanking

SAE2 [roll20] for [roll21]
Haste SAE2 [roll22] for [roll23]

https://i.ibb.co/S3w9S73/mst-rd-7.jpg (https://ibb.co/crh7qXr)

Sierra Orange warding, other buffs
S 24 damage, haste
Sae1 haste
Sae2 haste
Sfe1 haste

Downstairs Wall of Fire expires on round 10, part 1
AC 9 damage
Rex 62 damage, Iron Guard’s Glare, Law Devotion (+3 AC)
Melinda none

=> Party

Kish
2019-03-13, 11:05 AM
"Brace yourselves," Melinda advises her companions before casting a spell to produce a sudden powerful gust of wind. "Use wind on her!"

If I'm reading correctly that she's in AE1's threatened area, she's casting defensively, DC 18: [roll0] If not she won't bother.

The Gust, if she didn't fail to cast defensively, is aimed directly at Sierra, which means it hits...Sierra and whoever counts as being in a line between her and Sierra.

A Tiny or smaller creature on the ground is knocked down and rolled 1d4×10 feet, taking 1d4 points of nonlethal damage per 10 feet. If flying, a Tiny or smaller creature is blown back 2d6×10 feet and takes 2d6 points of nonlethal damage due to battering and buffeting.

Small creatures are knocked prone by the force of the wind, or if flying are blown back 1d6×10 feet.

Medium creatures are unable to move forward [toward Melinda] against the force of the wind, or if flying are blown back 1d6×5 feet.

Large or larger creatures may move normally within a gust of wind effect.

A gust of wind can’t move a creature beyond the limit of its range.

Any creature, regardless of size, takes a -4 penalty on ranged attacks and Listen checks in the area of a gust of wind.

The force of the gust automatically extinguishes candles, torches, and similar unprotected flames. It causes protected flames, such as those of lanterns, to dance wildly and has a 50% chance to extinguish those lights.

In addition to the effects noted, a gust of wind can do anything that a sudden blast of wind would be expected to do. It can create a stinging spray of sand or dust, fan a large fire, overturn delicate awnings or hangings, heel over a small boat, and blow gases or vapors to the edge of its range.

PeacefulOak
2019-03-13, 04:14 PM
Xaanthios

With a swift mental push, Xaanthios directs Avalon to dash up the stairs and attack the right-most of the creatures. At the same time, he focuses for a moment and conjures a curving wall of frigid cold that covers each of the existing enemies, battering them with freezing energy.

AC moves to P51, attacks SFE1 (which is the Earth Elemental?)
[roll0] to hit for [roll1] Damage
[roll2] to hit for [roll3] Damage

Create Energy Wall (Cold) in a circle centered on the junction of O/P 49/50, energy facing outward.
Damage Rolls:
In wall: [roll4] Cold Damage, Fort DC 19 (should be all, if not mostly all?)
Within 10': [roll5] Cold Damage

Cavir
2019-03-13, 07:48 PM
Cendrik wanted to focus on the wizard but the magical wall and its emanation just got in his way. He addresses the wizard firmly. "It's Sierra right? Our contract doesn't require us killing you. Yield and you get to live and work for the new boss. Decide fast, there's still more coming up the stairs." He locked his eyes on her while he focused on his training, internally summoning back the fire he had already unleashed twice.

Adaptive Style to regain maneuvers. I don't think this grants AoO. Even if it does, Rex is guarding me even after the slap. never said it was to the face....
Still in Flame's Blessing Stance (Resist Fire 10).

BelGareth
2019-03-19, 10:48 AM
Rex snarls as he takes two deep wounds, this snake man thing was going to pay, and he set into motion weaving his blade and shield to deliver righteous fury!

Swift action aura into power (+2 melee damage)
Full attack vs S (with furious counterstrike)
[roll0]
[roll1] & [roll2]

Crit confirm - (1d20+11)[17]
Extra Damage - (1d10+5)[13]

[roll3]
[roll4] & [roll5]

Steely resolve: 5/5
HP's: 79/136
Effects: Iron Guards Glare stance (-4 on attacks vs allies to opponents that I threaten), LAW devotion (5/10)
Maneuvers available: Foehammer, Douse the Flames, Shield Block

[roll6]

Vanguard Strike
Shield Block
Battle Leaders Charge

J-H
2019-03-19, 01:06 PM
Round 8, Part 1

Rex attacks the salamander, hitting it with a powerful blow and a follow-up (crit not confirmed; hit for 18 & 11).

Cendrik prepares himself for battle, while attempting to talk Sierra down.
Melinda tries to cast a spell defensively, but slips up; the magical energies sputter and are dispersed.

The astral construct moves up and attacks the small fire elemental, which sputters but stays intact (first hit misses; second hit does 13 damage thanks to Rex aura).

Astral construct takes [roll0] damage and must make a Reflex save, DC11, to avoid catching on fire. (make this on your turn).

Xaanthios summons forth a wall of cold energy that saps the heat from almost every enemy in the room. The fire elemental sputters and vanishes.

14 damage (you forgot the +1 per die), Fort DC 19 half for all but Sierra
Sfe [roll1] +50% damage from cold destroyed
Sae 1 [roll2] not in cold wall, not damaged.
Sae 2 [roll3] fail, 14 damage
S Fort [roll4] fail, 21 damage

Sierra 5 cold damage, Fort DC 19 half (you forgot the +1 per die)
Sierra Fort [roll5]

Sierra 3 damage, Orange warding, other buffs
S 74 damage, haste
Sae1 haste
Sae2 14 damage, haste

AC 11 damage, Ref DC11 or on fire for 1d4 per round
Rex 62 damage, Iron Guard’s Glare, Law Devotion (+3 AC)
Melinda none

J-H
2019-03-19, 01:31 PM
Round 8, Part 2

Sierra spits out a retort as she stalks across the room. “I saw what you did to Brand. We all did. You’ll pay for that with your lives, then we’ll sell your gear to pay for raising him from the dead, bandit.”

She raises her hands, and a beam of rainbow light coruscates across the room. Heat, cold, the burn of acid, the tingle of electricity, and even a tooth-rattling vibration plays across the party.

Line spells affect both squares on the side of the intersection when traveling down a grid line (I can’t find the prior discussion we had on this, but I know we did). This one is a maximized Rainbow Blast.
10 points each of fire, cold, acid, electrical, and sonic damage. Reflex DC18 half. Note:

AC Reflex [roll0] fail, 50 damage
Cendrik [roll1] success, 25 damage; has fire resistance so 20
RexThaun [roll2] fail, 50 damage
Xaanthios [roll3] fail, 50 damage; halved with Share Pain
Melinda [roll4] success, 25 damage

Taking advantage of their weakness, the salamander strikes at RexThaun again, landing a single blow on the bleeding dragonborn. The air elementals transform into small whirlwinds, spinning about and throwing up clouds of dust as they move amongst the party, making it hard to see and concentrate.

Spear [roll5] for [roll6] damage plus [roll7] fire hit for 13 damage
(haste) Spear [roll8] for [roll9] damage plus [roll10] fire miss
Spear [roll11] for [roll12] damage plus [roll13] fire miss
Tail slap [roll14] for [roll15] and [roll16] fire miss

Air elementals:
The elemental’s movement while in whirlwind form does not provoke attacks of opportunity, even if the elemental enters the space another creature occupies. Another creature might be caught in the whirlwind if it touches or enters the whirlwind, or if the elemental moves into or through the creature’s space.
These are too small to do damage, but….
Creatures caught in the whirlwind can otherwise act normally, but must succeed on a Concentration check (DC 15 + spell level) to cast a spell. Creatures caught in the whirlwind take a -4 penalty to Dexterity and a -2 penalty on attack rolls.

If the whirlwind’s base touches the ground, it creates a swirling cloud of debris. This cloud is centered on the elemental and has a diameter equal to half the whirlwind’s height. The cloud obscures all vision, including darkvision, beyond 5 feet. Creatures 5 feet away have concealment, while those farther away have total concealment.
Those caught in the cloud must succeed on a Concentration check (DC 15 + spell level) to cast a spell.

https://i.ibb.co/FJgM4N4/mst-rd-8.jpg (https://ibb.co/sQyG9k9)
Sierra 3 damage, Orange warding, other buffs
S 74 damage, haste
Sae1 haste
Sae2 14 damage, haste

AC 61 damage, Ref DC11 or on fire for 1d4 per round
Cendrik 20 damage
Rex 125 damage, Iron Guard’s Glare, Law Devotion (+3 AC)
Melinda 25 damage
Xaanthios +15 temp HP; Share Pain
Psicrystal +15 temp HP
=> Party

Cavir
2019-03-19, 05:23 PM
Cendrik notices the beating the dragonborn has taken. "Rex, fall back, heal, then come back. No good to us dead."

The swordsage teleports past the cold wall then unleashes his fire snake. It darts its way across the room hitting the living snake, the trap in the back wall, and Sierra. He then moves forward and takes advantage of the magical protection spot that Albin had told them about. "Bandits? Far from it. Our big boss is nearing divinity. You can die here like Brand or join the new boss upstairs. I really don't want to kill you but we'll have to if you keep resisting. My claws that killed Brand or all the spells from those behind me. Which will it be?"

I have Fire Resist 10 from my stance. Assuming that gets applied to damage after the save I believe I would be at 20 damage before injuring myself this round :smallfrown:

The statement about not wanting to kill her is legit if using Sense Motive.

Swift: Anklets of Translocation to S51. If moving through this area is enough to get damage then Fort DC19 save: [roll0] Damage: [roll1]
Std: Fire Snake. Starts from my lower left corner and heads south to hit the Snake and the trap, then turns west through Sierra. Then turns north to finish at the lower left corner of O55.
Damage: [roll2] Fire, Reflex 16 for half
Move: to R55 via T52 through T55

EDIT: well, all that was pathetic

Kish
2019-03-22, 08:38 AM
"Bleck," opines Melinda. No longer directly threatened by the irritating elemental minions, she repeats her spell more successfully.

From my reading of the map, the Gust of Wind will hit one of the elementals; she'd obviously rather hit both, but that doesn't look possible. Once again it's aimed directly at Sierra. She'd rather his sae1 if she can aim it such that she can choose which it hits and still hit Sierra.

A Tiny or smaller creature on the ground is knocked down and rolled 1d4×10 feet, taking 1d4 points of nonlethal damage per 10 feet. If flying, a Tiny or smaller creature is blown back 2d6×10 feet and takes 2d6 points of nonlethal damage due to battering and buffeting.

Small creatures are knocked prone by the force of the wind, or if flying are blown back 1d6×10 feet.

Medium creatures are unable to move forward [toward Melinda] against the force of the wind, or if flying are blown back 1d6×5 feet.

Large or larger creatures may move normally within a gust of wind effect.

A gust of wind can’t move a creature beyond the limit of its range.

Any creature, regardless of size, takes a -4 penalty on ranged attacks and Listen checks in the area of a gust of wind.

The force of the gust automatically extinguishes candles, torches, and similar unprotected flames. It causes protected flames, such as those of lanterns, to dance wildly and has a 50% chance to extinguish those lights.

In addition to the effects noted, a gust of wind can do anything that a sudden blast of wind would be expected to do. It can create a stinging spray of sand or dust, fan a large fire, overturn delicate awnings or hangings, heel over a small boat, and blow gases or vapors to the edge of its range.

BelGareth
2019-03-22, 10:03 AM
Rex feels the blast from the mage, damned wizards and their magiks! He roared in frustration and let loose another flurry, not heeding cendrik's advice, but not see a way to accomplish it. Then in frustration steps away from the blasted whirlwinds trying to get his attention.

5ft to R51
Full attack vs S

[roll0]
[roll1] & [roll2]

Confirm - (1d20+11)[29]
Extra Damage - (1d10+5)[9]

[roll3]
[roll4] & [roll5]

HP's: 29/136
Effects: Iron Guards Glare stance (-4 on attacks vs allies to opponents that I threaten), LAW devotion (4/10)

[roll6]

Vanguard Strike
Battle Leaders Charge

PeacefulOak
2019-03-27, 07:13 PM
Xaanthios

Reeling from the harsh elemental strike, Xaanthios makes his away along the wall to his right (stage left), circling his wall until he has line of sight on the filthy arcanist who so assaulted the party. A harsh thought flicks at the mage's area, sending threads of ectoplasm curling through the air to surround and enfold them.

Moments before the effect would impact, Avalon steps in to follow Rex's motion and unleashes two heavy attacks against the creature!

Avolon's 2 attacks:
[roll0] to hit for [roll1]
[roll2] to hit for [roll3]

Xaanthios movement:
O50
N50
M51
L52
L53

Ectoplasmic Coocoon the Mage. Reflex Save, DC... 19?

J-H
2019-03-30, 10:23 AM
Round 9, Part 1
Melinda casts Gust of Wind, causing Sierra's warding to dissipate and blowing the two small whirlwinds back [roll0]x10 feet, all the way to the far wall of the tower. They disintegrate as they are blasted through the energy wall.

The snake-creature shudders takes damage from ice wall. Rex steps out of the elemental whirlwind; both the dragonborn and the astral construct brave the wall of energy to strike at their foe. One of Rex's blows goes home, striking deep into his foe's body. The construct finds only empty air, as the snake-creature falls to the ground, dead.

Xaanthios manifests a power, causing bands of ectoplasm to surround Sierra, trying to trap her so she can’t move, but she ducks out of the way.

Energy wall damage [roll1]
Fort DC 19 half
S Fort [roll2] 11 x 1.5 = 17
Rex Fort [roll3] save, 6 damage

Rex crits for 23! S is dead.
Astral Construct misses.
Ectoplasmic Cocoon, Ref DC 19
Sierra Reflex [roll4] save

Cendrik teleports, lashing out with a wave of fire; it fails to penetrate Sierra’s defenses, but destroys the poster on the back wall.

He ends up in the 20' range, so I'll just use half of the rolled damage, 4 damage.

Sierra 3 damage, other buffs

AC 61 damage
Cendrik 24 damage
Rex 131 damage, Iron Guard’s Glare, Law Devotion (+3 AC)
Melinda 25 damage
Psicrystal +15 temp HP

J-H
2019-03-30, 10:38 AM
Round 9, Part 2

Sierra moves with quick steps, obviously hasted, over to the area protected from elemental damage. She points at Cendrik and unleashes a powerful spell, sending a ray of multi-hued energy coruscating at him, but he dodges out of the way.

Spellcraft: Prismatic Ray recognized.
Ranged touch [roll0] miss!
Effect [roll1] You avoided "Will save or Insanity"!

https://i.ibb.co/gvZSff8/mst-rd-9.jpg (https://ibb.co/z8VXBBg)

AC 61 damage
Cendrik 24 damage
Rex 131 damage, Iron Guard’s Glare, Law Devotion (+3 AC)
Melinda 25 damage
Psicrystal +15 temp HP
=> Party

Kish
2019-03-30, 04:25 PM
Melinda casts True Strike. Let her think standing there makes her safe for the moment.

Cavir
2019-03-30, 09:23 PM
Cendrik calls out. "Come on, she's over here around the corner!" The swordsage runs at Sierra then stops himself hard with one foot while grabbing Sierra and pushing off that same foot to throw her to the ground closer to the rest of the party.

Move to M54. Comet Throw to throw her to N54 so she'll be prone at my feet.

Touch attack: [roll0]
On touch: opposed str/dex check. +4 from maneuver. [roll1]
On throw: prone and [roll2] damage

J-H
2019-03-30, 09:34 PM
Round 10, Part 1, Part A

Cendrik grabs Sierra, trying to throw her behind himself, but she's able to twist herself just far enough in his grasp that he can't lever her up.

Touch attack hits. Opposed dex check [roll0]

PeacefulOak
2019-04-16, 04:01 PM
Xaanthios

Avalon dissipates in a glittering shower of aether, the elemental damage it had taken finally overwhelming it. A quiet, cold rage fills Xaanthios. His clear grey eyes narrow, and his hands tighten on the quarterstaff he is holding. He raises it in anger, leveling it with a shout at the mage who has so assaulted his companions.

The softest disruption of the air is all that precedes the arrival of Avalon to the field of battle once more, massive claws striking down towards the back of the woman.

Xaanthios focuses his mind, seeking to regain his Psionic balance.

For the fun of it, Bluffing [roll0] to make it look like I'm directing a spell or effect directly towards her.

Actually expending my Psionic Focus to summon my personal construct as a Swift Action to K54, making two attacks with flanking against the sorceress.
[roll1] to hit for [roll2] damage. (+2 for Flanking)
[roll3] to hit for [roll4] damage. (+2 for Flanking)

Xaanthios attempts to regain his focus: Concentration DC 20 [roll5]

Dice for the dice gods!

BelGareth
2019-04-17, 06:00 PM
Nearly falling down, rex backs up and concentrates for a moment, healing his own injuries with his force of will.

5ft to R50
Uses standard action to use Touch of Vitality for 42 HP's on himself.

HP's: 47/136
Effects: Iron Guards Glare stance (-4 on attacks vs allies to opponents that I threaten), LAW devotion (5/10)
Maneuvers available: Foehammer, Douse the Flames, Shield Block, Vanguard Strike, Battle Leaders Charge

Gain last one automatically

Battle Leaders Charge

J-H
2019-04-18, 12:08 PM
Round 10, Part 1, Part B

Melinda stands still, preparing True Strike. Rex steps out of the cold, healing himself greatly by using his entire daily reserve of Lay on Hands. Xaanthios summons a new construct around the corner; it misses with both attacks, though.

Round 10, Part 2

Sierra carefully casts a spell while keeping her guard up, her magic wardings and enhanced speed protecting her. She then steps back, putting the empty room at her back. Cendrik's vision goes dark for a moment, but he focuses his mind and overrides the effect.

Concentration to cast defensively [roll0] vs DC 17 success
Cendrik is able to identify the spell as Blindness/Deafness before it hits. Fort DC 17
Cendrik Fort [roll1] fail, replaced by Mind over Body for success

https://i.ibb.co/kHBJMt9/mst-rd-10.jpg (https://ibb.co/YRQXbxy)
Please note that there is a wall running between N & O halfway across the room, which then goes west – you will need to go around this or damage the wall if you want line of sight/effect to her.

AC 61 damage
Cendrik 24 damage
Rex 89 damage, Iron Guard’s Glare, Law Devotion (+3 AC)
Melinda 25 damage
Psicrystal +15 temp HP
=> Party

BelGareth
2019-04-18, 12:21 PM
Rex looks around, and growls in frustration, he sees what he is standing next to and begins to rummage through it, seeing if anything could help him.

Turns and starts to look through the potion cabinet for potions. (hopefully they are in a language he can read)
Swift, change aura to Vigor. Everyone below half gets fast healing 2

Steely resolve: 0/5
HP's: 44/136
Effects: Iron Guards Glare stance (-4 on attacks vs allies to opponents that I threaten), LAW devotion (6/10)
Maneuvers available: Foehammer, Vanguard Strike

[roll0]
[roll1]

Foehammer
Douse the Flames
Shield Block
Vanguard Strike
Battle Leaders Charge

J-H
2019-04-18, 01:13 PM
RexThaun finds a number of potions in the cabinet. It was apparently stocked by someone who wanted to have something on hand for almost anything.

Move action to open it, standard action to grab one and chug it if you want to do so.

5x Protection from Good
5x Protection from Evil
3x Endure Elements
1x Magic Weapon
2x Remove Fear
2x Sanctuary
5x Cure Moderate Wounds
5x CLW
3x Delay Poison
2x Invisibility
2x Remove Paralysis
1x Undetectable Alignment
2x Cure Serious Wounds
2x Remove Blindness/Deafness
2x Remove Curse
2x Remove Disease
2x Haste
1x Potion of regeneration

You are pretty sure that Albin isn't planning for you to take everything that is not nailed down, but he's not here...

Cavir
2019-04-18, 02:22 PM
Cendrik calls back behind him. "Hurry up and join the fun since this mage is too stupid to agree to a new boss." He refocuses on his quarry. "Watch out behind you." Shadows surround Cendrik and he suddenly disappears. He claws away at the mage and then reappears next to where he was.

Swift: Cloak of Deception for greater invisibility until the end of my turn.
5' step to L54.
Full attack with TWF and possible rending. Invisible (+2 to hit, no Dex for tgt).
Each hit heals me 1hp from claw crystals

Claw1: [roll0] crit: [roll1]
damage: [roll2] crit: [roll3]

Claw1#2: [roll4] crit: [roll5]
damage: [roll6] crit: [roll7]

Claw2: [roll8] crit: [roll9]
damage: [roll10] crit: [roll11]

If both claws hit, rending: damage: [roll12]

Kish
2019-04-18, 04:42 PM
Melinda runs around the corner, blinks out and reappears closer to the enemy mage, and lashes at her with an orb of pure force.

Movement: to Q50, to Q51, to P52, then it's DM-judgment-call time. If she can take a swift action partway through her move, she uses her Anklet of Translocation to blink from P52 to O54, taking 2d6+2 damage, then move physically to N54 and M55. If she cannot, then she'll continue to move physically, to O53 (taking 2d6+7 damage), then to N54 with her last five feet of physical movement, then she'll blink to M55.

Then, using Orb of Force on Sierra, attack roll: [roll0] Critical threat check: [roll1] Force damage: [roll2] Critical force damage: [roll3]

PeacefulOak
2019-04-24, 10:23 AM
Xaanthios

Seeing no new threats, Xaanthios once more quiets his mind to regain his focus while Avalon rakes out with fierce claws at the shifty mage.

Concentration [roll0] vs DC 20

Avalon:
[roll1] to hit for [roll2] slashing damage
[roll3] to hit for [roll4] slashing damage

J-H
2019-04-24, 11:07 AM
Round 11, Part 1

Cendrik flicks out of visibility, reappearing as he tears into Sierra with his claws (Hit for 5, 5, and 9 rending damage; heal 2). Avalon has less luck, as the construct fails to do much against Sierra's magical armoring.

Melinda dashes through the wall of cold energy ([roll0] damage) and then launches a glowing ball of purple force that goes right through Sierra's defenses (hit for 24). Having passed within 5' of the Ghoul Glyph, the magic discharges, reaching Melinda right after she launches her orb of force. The warmage is paralyzed for 7 rounds!

Sierra 46 damage, other buffs

AC 61 damage
Cendrik 22 damage
Melinda 34 damage, paralyzed until round 18 part 1
Psicrystal +15 temp HP

J-H
2019-04-24, 11:16 AM
Round 11, Part 2

Sierra steps back, casting another spell. A whitish globe of force surrounds her, recognizable as Otiluke's Resilient Sphere (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/resilientSphere.htm). You see her smile within as she then chugs a potion ([roll0]).

https://i.ibb.co/j5PZJH4/mst-rd-11.jpg (https://ibb.co/9vk3ZGY)

Sierra 32 damage, other buffs, Resilient Sphere

AC 61 damage
Cendrik 22 damage
Melinda 34 damage, paralyzed until round 18 part 1
Psicrystal +15 temp HP
=> Party

Cavir
2019-04-24, 09:25 PM
Sierra's latest protection cuts off Cendrik's plans. He watches as the wounds he just inflicted heal up. Realizing the impasse he touches a gem on his belt and his own wounds heal up. He gives Sierra a look implying two can play that game. He calls out to the rest of the party. "She's hiding behind a solid sphere. Let's just go kill her boss instead of waiting on this coward." He turns and starts to head back toward the wall of cold and sees Melinda frozen. He gives her a look of aggravated frustration. We knew about the traps. He stops out of sight of Sierra for safety. "Need something for being paralyzed to help our mage."

Healing Belt [roll0]
Move to N54

BelGareth
2019-04-25, 10:57 AM
Hearing Cendrik, Rex nod's as he looks back to the cabinet "We have a remove paralysis potion here, but I cannot get to her without going through the wall" Not seeing any urgency to the situation, he lets his aura remain, and grabs the potion, moving to just outside the wall, but as close to Melinda as possible.

Move: grab Remove Paralysis, Haste, and CSW
Move: move to P52, avoiding the glyph

HP's: 42/136
Effects: Iron Guards Glare stance (-4 on attacks vs allies to opponents that I threaten), LAW devotion (7/10), Aura: Vigor (fast healing 2)
Maneuvers available: Foehammer, Vanguard Strike, Shield Block

[roll0]

Douse the Flames
Shield Block
Battle Leaders Charge

PeacefulOak
2019-05-06, 04:12 PM
Xaanthios

Xaanthios sneers at the wizard in the bubble before turning his back and walking to the stairs. With a thought, he advises Avalon to guard the wizard and strike it down should its defenses fall. Over his shoulder, he speaks quietly to Rex.

"Where are these allies we were promised? If all the work is ours, then all too is the reward."

J-H
2019-05-06, 09:37 PM
Round 12, Part 1

The party repositions for the most part, leaving the Astral Construct to menace Sierra for most of the next minute.

Cendrik receives a telepathic message from Albin:
Mezzir-Shazz badly injured but vanished, suspect Contingency. Shield guardian almost down, erinyes killed. Bring blindness potion from 4th floor potion cabinet. We have the upper hand but it was a draining fight.

Round 12, Part 2
Sierra drinks another potion (11hp)

Sierra 21 damage, other buffs

Cendrik 12 damage
Rex 87 damage, Iron Guard’s Glare, Law Devotion (+3 AC)
Melinda 32 damage, paralyzed until round 18 part 1
Psicrystal +15 temp HP

Cavir
2019-05-06, 10:32 PM
Cendrik grinds his teeth. A dangerous adversary just around the corner that he can't get his claws into, Melinda in front of him paralyzed by the trap for who knows how long, and the rest of the party afraid of the cold wall. Group tactics were going to have to be discussed if they lived through this. He spoke just loud enough for Melinda to hear him. "A little cold is better than a full blast from Sierra." He grabs the unmoving warmage and carries her around the other corner towards the party, right through the Wall of Cold. He puts her back on her feet if possible, else she falls over between him and Rex. Again he keeps his voice low enough for Sierra not to hear and speaks rapidfire. "Word from upstairs. Their boss vanished but is badly hurt. They need a remove blindness potion upstairs quick. Fight is still going on up there with the guardian. Hell, grab all the potions we can but we still have Sierra here healing up."

Carry Melinda (medium load) as close to Rex as possible on Xaan's side of the wall (P51?).
Fort [roll0]

PeacefulOak
2019-05-22, 04:34 PM
Xaanthios

The news that their quarry escaped is dire indeed. Xaanthios' mind races, possibilities and outcomes clashing in an instant with only one clear result: "We are in trouble."

He steps quickly to the potion cabinet and gathers the Potion to Cure Blindness and hustles up the stairs, carefully gathering his mind to face any further potential dangers ahead.

Just moving up the stairs enough to see the next floor for the moment, if I can do that after picking up a potion.

Cavir
2019-05-29, 12:31 PM
RexThaun

Rex barely visibly shook his head as Melinda hit the floor next to him, Cendrik too focused on watching for Sierra's return. The dragonborn turned to the warmage, upturned her head, and poured the Remove Paralysis potion into her mouth. He hoped it worked but would have preferred to be fixing his own wounds or more directly dealing with their enemies.

Use potion on Melinda. If grabbing potions is a Move action, grab some more: Haste, CSW, and 2x Invisibility.

Effects: Iron Guards Glare stance (-4 on attacks vs allies to opponents that I threaten), LAW devotion (7/10), Aura: Vigor (fast healing 2)
Maneuvers [roll0]
1. Douse the Flames
2. Battle Leaders Charge

J-H
2019-05-31, 09:53 PM
Round 13, Part 1

Cendrik carries Melinda through the wall ([roll0] damage each, Fort save failed).

Xaanthios grabs a potion and moves upstairs enough to see that the next floor appears to open into a long hallway with some sofas, chairs, and tables, and doors to the side. He recalls that this was described as being apprentice quarters.

RexThaun doses Melinda, freeing her from paralysis.

Round 13, Part 2

Nobody’s watching, but you don’t hear anything happening.

Cendrik 28 damage
Rex 87 damage, Iron Guard’s Glare, Law Devotion (+3 AC)
Melinda 48 damage
Psicrystal +15 temp HP
=> Party

Cavir
2019-06-02, 10:00 PM
Rex

The dragonborn hands Melinda one of the CSW potions he picked up then drinks the other one himself. "Heal up, the fight's not done."

Vigor aura still on, good for Rex and Melinda.
CSW: [roll0]

Cendrik

'Package' delivered, the swordsage steps back towards Sierra and listens for her while refocusing for more combat.

5' step to O52 (trap is gone).
Adaptive Style to redo maneuvers.
Listen [roll1]

Kish
2019-06-04, 11:25 AM
Melinda stands and gulps down the potion. "There's nothing I can do while she's in that bubble, I'm afraid. Can you dispel it?" she asks.

Healing: [roll0]

PeacefulOak
2019-06-07, 06:05 PM
Xaanthios

Over his shoulder: "That is not within my abilities at the moment. Avalon stands ready to destroy the wizard should the barrier fall."

His part said, the psion continues up the stairs to peek into the floor above the apprentice quarters.

J-H
2019-06-07, 09:09 PM
Round 14, Part 1

Rex & Melinda both quaff potions potion, healing their injuries substantially.

Xaanthios peeks around the corner of the staircase and sees four golems. These look like the ones from downstairs, but slightly bulkier and better-formed. There’s also a large, frog-like demon within what’s probably a circle of Protection from Evil over on the east side of the room. Xaanthios can’t quite remember what to call it, but it looks like a fearsome and deadly opponent.

Round 14, Part 2

Cendrik hears Sierra moving around inside her sphere.

Cendrik 28 damage
Rex 69 damage, Iron Guard’s Glare, Law Devotion (+3 AC)
Melinda 19 damage
Psicrystal +15 temp HP

Cavir
2019-06-11, 12:39 PM
RexThaun

The dragonborn didn't like leaving a dangerous enemy behind them but there was nothing to be done about Sierra at the moment and there was a need upstairs.

"Alright, up we go." He looks to Melinda. "Catch up to Xaan. I'll be right there." He looks to Cendrik. "Grab the wands then catch up quick." Rex grabs a full handful of healing potions, stuffs them in his pack, then starts to head up the stairs.

Use Standard action to grab all the CMWs (5) or at least as many as he can. Move to put them in the haversack. 5' step to the stairs. If putting things in the sack is quicker then a move action then head up the stairs which I think takes him to between the up/down stairways on the next level up.

Cavir
2019-06-11, 01:11 PM
Cendrik

The swordsage agreed with the orders but it still meant putting up with Xaan's cold wall, again. At least this time he didn't have to take the full brunt of it. Shadows engulf him, he disappears, then appears next to the wands up for grabs. He takes a quick look then starts scooping with both hands.

Shadow Jaunt to U53 (U54 if that is furniture taking up space). What does STG stand for?

How many wands are there? Any labeling? Looking to grab them all or as many as I can carry in two hands. Nice thing about the claws is they leave the hands free :smallsmile:
Actually, if the Wand STG is something portable I'll bring the whole thing. Easy Travel on my armor allows carrying a Medium load as a Light.

Wall of Cold
Damage [roll0]
Fort 19 for half damage. [roll1] Not using Mind over Body here.

Just noticed something about Shadow Jaunt. Nothing in there about not bringing others with you. When I was carrying Melinda, could I have have Jaunted with her over my shoulder as part of my carrying capacity?

Re-noticed Shadow Garrote needs a flat-footed target. So much for prepping that. Oops, that's Shadow Noose that needs flat-footed.

Kish
2019-06-12, 05:02 PM
Melinda grabs as many potions as she can quickly and runs up the stairs after Xaan.

I don't think she has time to be discerning about what she's grabbing.

PeacefulOak
2019-06-19, 02:16 PM
Xaanthios

Once again, the psion carefully makes his way further up the stairs to peer into the next floor, looking for challenges.

J-H
2019-06-21, 10:07 PM
Xaanthios steps off of the stairs into the 6th-floor lab, but as he turns to move to the stairs up, the golems around him shift and activate.

Xaanthios has used 15' of move, and still has the rest of his move and a standard action left

PeacefulOak
2019-06-25, 11:49 AM
Xaanthios

With an annoyed grunt, Xaanthios brings into existence a shimmering wall of sound that radiates out towards the room, and prevents any sight through it.

He shouts down the stairs "Golems are active here, be careful!" and moves the rest of the way up so that he can see the next floor."

How were these not triggered by our allies?

BelGareth
2019-06-26, 02:26 PM
Rex hears about the new golems, and rushes up to threaten them both, allowing his companions to get past.

Slicing at one with his sword, he tries to start things off on a good note.

He yells to Xaan, "Can we send something to scout ahead, I'm starting to think we might have been duped"

If cannot strike, double move.

[roll0]
[roll1] & [roll2]

HP's: 68/136
Effects: Iron Guards Glare stance (-4 on attacks vs allies to opponents that I threaten), Aura of Vigor
Maneuvers available: Foehammer, Douse the Flames

[roll3]
[roll4]

Foehammer
Douse the Flames
Shield Block
Vanguard Strike
Battle Leaders Charge

PeacefulOak
2019-06-26, 02:50 PM
Xaanthios

The psion laughs to himself, so much for a quiet approach.

"Avalon wards the mage below. Hopefully my wall will hold these back for the moment. Elsewise... I agree we would be in much trouble."

J-H
2019-06-27, 04:42 PM
Round 15, Part 1
Cendrik teleports across the room to loot the wand storage, taking minor damage from the wall of cold. Melinda grabs some potions and then doubles back to start taking the semicircular stairs up. She’s still partway between the 4th floor lab and the 5th floor quarters.

Xaanthios comes up the stairs, placing a wall of sound that blocks the view into the stairwell. Due to the way the room is laid out, two of the golems are right in the middle of it, and suffer the brunt of it. Rex rushes upwards after him, arriving at the top of the stairs right next to one of the golems.

Damage [roll0] (-2 damage from being sound).
G3 Reflex [roll1]
G4 Reflex [roll2]

G3 14 damage
G4 14 damage

Cendrik 32 damage
Melinda 19 damage
Psicrystal +15 temp HP

J-H
2019-06-27, 04:49 PM
Round 15, Part 2

The two golems who can see the Rex and Xaanthios move to attack. One tries to punch Rex with a one-two combo, but both of its massive fists skip off of the dragonborn's heavy armor. The other lashes out at Xaanthios, striking him with one fist, and then grabbing and squeezing him with the other.

Vs Rex
Slam [roll0] for [roll1]
Slam [roll2] for [roll3]

Vs Xaanthios
Slam [roll4] for [roll5] hit, eliminating 8 temp hp for Xaanthios & 7 for the psycrystal

Xaanthios gets an AOO as the golem attempts to grapple…
Attack [roll6] for [roll7] miss
Melee touch attack [roll8] hit
Opposed grapple checks: Xaanthios [roll9] vs G3 [roll10]; on success, [roll11] damage. golem wins, eliminating 4 temp hp each

https://i.ibb.co/YNBj5Xt/mst-rd-15.jpg (https://ibb.co/4FRNb2j)
G3 14 damage
G4 14 damage

Cendrik 32 damage
Melinda 19 damage
Xaanthios +3 temp HP; Share Pain; grappled
Psicrystal +4 temp HP

The window just in front of Xaanthios in the stairwell is standing open. Over the noise of the wall of sound, he hears a resounding thud as something large, heavy, and made of metal falls to the floor. “Well, that’s done with at last. Once we find him, he’ll be more vulnerable.”
=> Party

Cavir
2019-06-30, 10:17 PM
Cendrik looks towards where Sierra would be coming from while he flicks his left wrist to try to activate the healing wand custom fitted into his manufactured claws. Either way, he then scoots up the stairs to the next level and pauses to look out into the apprentice quarters' floor.

UMD wand of lesser vigor. DC 20. [roll0]
If I roll a Nat1 I can't try it again for 24 hours.

Move action up the stairs. Believe I end up at P66, between the stairs on level 5.
Spot [roll1]
Listen [roll2]

BelGareth
2019-07-01, 11:15 AM
Rex takes a tactical move, then goes to strike the Golem threatening Xaan, they needed to move up!

Eyeing the correct spot, he wields his sword, so if it hits, the golem's reaction, and center of gravity will be thrown off, allowing Xaan to move without fear of retaliation.

"Go go go!" he yells to Xaan.

Swift: change aura to power
5ft step to P80

Initiate Douse the flames vs G3, if hit, cannot take Attacks of Opportunity
[roll0]
[roll1] & [roll2]

Will shield block Xaan if i missed, and he get's AOO'ed

Effects: Iron Guards Glare stance (-4 on attacks vs allies to opponents that I threaten), Aura of Power

[roll3]

Foehammer
Douse the Flames
Shield Block
Vanguard Strike
Battle Leaders Charge

J-H
2019-07-01, 02:50 PM
The following are in the cabinet:
Summon Monster II (5 charges)
Bull’s Strength (8 charges)
Magic Missile (3rd) (12 charges)
Magic Missile (7th) (10 charges)
Lightning Bolt (5th) (7 charges)
Order’s Wrath (5 charges)

Cavir
2019-07-01, 03:40 PM
If I'm getting to choose:
1) Bull’s Strength (8 charges)
2) Magic Missile (7th) (10 charges)
3) Lightning Bolt (5th) (7 charges)
4) Order’s Wrath (5 charges)

Safe to assume the Bull and Summon Mon 2 are arcane and can't be cast as divine? I have 10 INT / 14 WIS /10 CHA so it affects UMD.
Order's Wrath would seem to be divine.

J-H
2019-07-01, 04:03 PM
They can be cast as arcane...otherwise, they wouldn't be much use to a wizard.

Kish
2019-07-09, 09:28 AM
I'm not entirely sure how the stairs affect line of sight here. I'm guessing that there's somewhere Melinda can stand on the fifth floor stairs that will let her see the golems without them getting an attack of opportunity when she casts. If not, she'll move as close as she needs to to cast at them and cast defensively.

Melinda moves up the stairs and frowns at the golems. Wonder if those are still vulnerable to magic. Testing, she casts a basic spell at the nearest one.

Concentration check, if necessary: [roll0]
Magic Missile damage: [roll1]

BelGareth
2019-07-12, 12:26 PM
Xaanthios, not wanting to get hurt, but knowing they need to get upstairs, withdraws upwards.

withdraw action to not provoke, move up to next level.

J-H
2019-07-13, 10:04 PM
Round 16, Part 1

Cendrik activates a wand, triggering a slow healing effect, and starts up the stairs.

Rex swings his sword at the golem closest to Xaan, hitting it and sending a crackle of electricity jolting through its body (hit for 15). Melinda blasts the other one for 21 points of damage. The wall of sound contributes more damage. Both golem's bodies are cracked and damaged at this point.

Damage [roll0] (-2 damage from being sound).
G3 Reflex [roll1] fail
G4 Reflex [roll2] fail

Xaanthios runs into Albin coming down. Behind Albin he can see the collapsed form of a very large and broad shield golem at the top of the stairs, and beyond that, Filister and Magdalena. The woman appears to be magically blinded at the moment.

Looking to his right, Xaanthios can just see a crystallized Erinyes on the upstairs steps, transmuted forever into a glass-like statue.

Albin greets him. “Good job, but we’re not through yet. I believe Mezzir-Shazz had a Contingency spell activated. He’s probably somewhere around here still. Do you have the potions?”

G3 38 damage
G4 44 damage

Cendrik 27 damage, Lesser Vigor until Round 27, Part 1
Melinda 19 damage
Psicrystal +4 temp HP

J-H
2019-07-13, 10:07 PM
Round 16, Part 2

The golems all try to kill Rex, but only one punch really hurts him through his armor.

+2 for flanking
Slam [roll0] for [roll1] miss
Slam [roll2] for [roll3] miss
Slam [roll4] for [roll5] hit for 13
Slam [roll6] for [roll7] miss

https://i.ibb.co/3Cp4zhn/mst-rd-16.jpg (https://ibb.co/P6cFQCd)
G3 38 damage
G4 44 damage

Cendrik 27 damage, Lesser Vigor until Round 27, Part 1
Rex 82 damage, Iron Guard’s Glare, Law Devotion (+3 AC)
Melinda 19 damage
Psicrystal +4 temp HP

=> Party

Cavir
2019-07-14, 07:47 PM
Not noticing anything on their sleeping quarters level of the tower and expecting trouble just above, Cendrik deftly bounds up the stairs past Melinda. He stops just short of yet another energy wall and an enemy guardian. With a quick thought he opens his right hand backwards giving the warmage behind him access to grab the wands if she desires. With his left hand he swipes at the wall next to him and a large ball of fire is sparked off by it. The fire engulfs the nearer golem, passes through the sonic wall, and is then directed to the right until it hits a wall. "Take the wands if you want. Lightning Bolt and Order’s Wrath. Sierra is still down below. Where's Xaan?"

Tumble move to Q80. +18 on Tumble so autopass on 3 checks.
Firesnake starting at my lower left right corner. It goes south one square then west until it hits a wall and stops (should hit G4 and G3). The firesnake can move out of my line of sight and effect, I just can't see the effects. I know the level should be a lab so I'm not going to blindly send the fire further in.
Fire [roll0] Reflex DC16 for half.

PeacefulOak
2019-07-15, 12:58 AM
Xaanthios

"We should be very lucky if Mezzir-Shaz is close. Were it me, my contingency would have taken me very far away, that I might fully recuperate before returning to annihilate my foes on my own terms. Here is your potion." He hands over the potion, and continues. "Where is it that you think he has gone? My allies are below fighting the golems."

BelGareth
2019-07-23, 11:20 AM
Taking the strike with a grimace, he had already exhausted most of his resources for the day, he withdrew to the stairs, eyeing the golems.

"Whats next, where do we go now?" he barks out

withdraw action so no AOO

HP's: 60/136
Effects: Iron Guards Glare stance (-4 on attacks vs allies to opponents that I threaten), Aura of Power
Maneuvers available: Foehammer, Douse the Flames, Shield Block, Battle Leaders Charge

[roll0]

Foehammer
Douse the Flames
Shield Block
Vanguard Strike
Battle Leaders Charge

Cavir
2019-07-23, 01:19 PM
"Either way, these golems are in the way. Need to get rid of them before one of the wizards show back up. Aren't there more behind these?"

Kish
2019-07-24, 05:36 PM
Melinda growls and gestures again, two darts of energy each slamming into the golems in front of her.

First, Concentration check to cast defensively: [roll0]

Then, if successful, Magic Missile. Damage to G3: [roll1] Damage to G4: [roll2]

J-H
2019-07-24, 09:38 PM
Round 17

Melinda hits the golems with a magic missile each (G3 10, G4, 4), and Cendrik finishes them off with a wave of fire. The other golems are still in the room, but have not seemed to make their way towards the wall of energy.

Albin takes the potions and floats them over towards his allies with a cantrip. “Well, we’re not sure. He’s a paranoid son-of-a-stone and it wouldn’t be anyplace as obvious as his bedroom. Once those two are feeling a bit better, we’ll go and check it, but since that Erineyes came down while we were fighting… would you leave a creature like that in your bolt hole?

I can’t imagine it’d be out of the tower…I wonder if it’s possible to Permanency a Rope Trick?

Anyway – aside from the golems just down there (he points down), is the rest of the tower secure?”

Cendrik 25 damage, Lesser Vigor until Round 27, Part 1
Rex 82 damage, Iron Guard’s Glare, Law Devotion (+3 AC)
Melinda 19 damage
Xaanthios +3 temp HP; Share Pain
Psicrystal +4 temp HP
=> Party

Cavir
2019-07-26, 05:37 AM
"Come on, up and over." Cendrik looks to Rex and interlocks his fingers and metal claws to aid the dragonborn over.

So Melinda did not take the two wands from Cendrik last turn (move action)?

Climb DC 10 and it eats 15' of movement instead of 5'.
Assuming he wants up too, Aid other to help Rex over. If he doesn't make it over on the first Move try, Aid again.
If he does make it over then I'll try getting over too.
If Rex decides to just eat the energy wall damage then the rolls are for me getting over.
If I get over and finish my move up the stairs a little Rex and i can interact a little with the others (responding to Albin).

+18 Tumble but only +1 Climb. Guess it's more gymnastic tumbling than parkor :smallannoyed:

Climb [roll0]
Climb [roll1]

PeacefulOak
2019-07-29, 02:04 PM
Xaanthios

"There is one mageling that put themselves in a bubble. We had no method to overcome that, so we moved on due to the urgency of your call for aid."

Kish
2019-08-13, 06:37 PM
"She won't likely stay there long," Melinda says tersely. "Any other threats we specifically know the location of in the tower, or should we go back down there and hope we catch her just about to leave?"

J-H
2019-08-14, 08:52 PM
“A bubble? Sierra does tend to favor strong defenses. A Resilient Sphere, no doubt? I can go down and talk to her. I think we will try to test his living quarters – perhaps you should check the lower levels?

But there’s not room unless there’s an altered dimensional space, which we would have seen on any of the floors. As far as I know, there’s no sign of an underground floor, but perhaps you should check the lower level again. Since planning this, I haven’t had much opportunity to do searching around on the ground floor.”

Cavir
2019-08-15, 06:42 AM
Cendrik wasn't far enough up the stairs to see onto the floor above where Albin had fought so he didn't know if there were any casualties up there. Cendrik briefly studies Albin and the two strangers with him while the magic from the wand continues to work on his own wounds.

"Brand is dead on the ground floor. We left Sierra on the 4th floor. I tried talking to her to see reason but she saw what happened to Brand and wouldn't listen. She did get a number of spells off.... Could he have gone up to the roof?" The swordsage takes a step back down the stairs to be able to back down to the previous floor. He queries Xaan and Melinda. "How much longer on those energy walls? Be nice to not have to keep stepping through them."

Sense Motive on the the others [roll0]
Spot [roll1]
Their attitude towards us? How bad off are they? Do they seem to be on the level with us?

5' step to O79.
Adaptive Style to recover/change maneuvers.
Lesser Vigor still active.

J-H
2019-08-15, 02:14 PM
The others are glad to see you. You do not sense any deception. Remember, you met the other two before at the psion's dome.

Cavir
2019-08-27, 01:46 PM
Cendrik glances around his allies then back to Albin. "There should be two golems left just below. If you can control them then we won't need to destroy them. Let's go."

The swordsage heads back down the stairs and hops over the railing again to avoid the energy wall. He pauses to be on watch while waiting on the others.

Kish
2019-09-03, 02:42 PM
Melinda hurries downstairs as well, waiting to confirm that the golems are no longer dangerous.

PeacefulOak
2019-09-04, 02:15 PM
Xaanthios

"The walls should be dismissed momentarily. Though it is a strain on my energy for the day, I can peer into the future to tell if our course of action will prove fortuitous. It will limit the aid I can provide to our future encounters, however... so I will defer to the judgement of my companions. What say you?"

Cavir
2019-09-05, 09:55 AM
"That would have been something to do yesterday. Unless it will quickly tell us where our prey is now's not the time. Come on, up and over the railing. No time to wait on the energy wall to drop. Time matters when dealing with wizards." Cendrik moves down another level, still on the stairs, to see what is going on there.

BelGareth
2019-09-05, 10:17 AM
Rex follows everyone downstairs.

"How do you propose we get through them then?" Or past..." he adds last minute, he did not look like he wanted to go through the walls again.

PeacefulOak
2019-09-05, 10:31 AM
Xaanthios

Shrugging, the psion follows his companion and nudges Rex to hop the railing as well to avoid the wall.

Quietly, to himself... "I did..."

BelGareth
2019-09-05, 11:23 AM
Rex nods and follows the lead, even in full armor, he needed a few extra hands of help to jump the rail.

Once on the other side, he headed down stairs to catch up.

J-H
2019-09-05, 04:07 PM
Albin answers Cendrik's question: "The roof? A dwarf? It'd be an unlikely place for a Contingency to take him - too exposed and vulnerable. We came in the window" (he points to the opened window in the stairwell) "And could have just as easily gone to the roof."

"We know he won't have gone upstairs to his room, because it'd be idiotic to send himself someplace where he apparently had a devil waiting around. I'll follow you down and talk to Sierra. She's cautious, methodical, and I think she'll see reason."

The team travels down the stairs, hopping bannisters to avoid the still-running Energy Wall on the 6th floor. Albin Levitates himself, taking a zig-zag course down between bannisters with his legs folded under him. "Blocking the 6th floor lab like that was a good choice. The Hezrou in that Circle of Protection could have been freed if one of the golems disrupted the circle. You all look a little scorched and battered, and it would have been a hard fight. I'm authorized to give some orders to the golems, so I'll have them stand down on the way back up."

He leaves you on the fourth floor, walking around the corner to talk to Sierra. "Maybe check the ground floor for any hidden doors? It's actually the least-visited area in the whole tower."

(It takes you about 6 rounds of time to reach the bottom floor, or 3 to reach the 4th floor where Sierra is if you choose to stop there. Any healing or spellcasting while walking? What do you do when you get to whichever floor you are stopping at?)

PeacefulOak
2019-09-05, 05:05 PM
Xaanthios

Traveling down the stairs easily, fortified by his mental prowess, Xaanthios devotes his mind to the task at hand. "We should leave you to speak with your fellow student, our encounter with her was less than friendly. We should retire to the first floor and seek out this hidden room of which you speak. We shall figure out his location, and end this Wizard."

BelGareth
2019-09-05, 05:30 PM
Rex nods at Xaan's words, and follows him down to the 1st floor.

Dragon aura s Vigor for those 6 rounds, so fast healing 2 up to half HP's to everyone.

Kish
2019-09-05, 06:00 PM
Melinda jumps down and heads for where they left Sierra. If she finds Sierra still in the sphere, she stays back and lets Albin do the talking.

J-H
2019-09-05, 08:22 PM
Sierra is still in the sphere. Are you going to stay for the conversation, or go to the 1st floor with the rest?

Cavir
2019-09-05, 08:24 PM
"A devil and a demon at his bidding?" Cendrik shakes his head. He leaves Albin to deal with Sierra. His own presence would definitely not help. He uses his healing wand on Melinda then continues downward. He stops at each level to look and listen before moving down to the bottom. "A Detect Magic could be useful, finding anything magically protected, or maybe point out an invisibility spell in use."

Cendrik and Melinda are above half hp so Rex's aura has no effect. Lesser Vigor still in effect for Cendrik. Once Rex's hp are too high for the aura I'll use the wand on him too but I don't think we're at that point yet. Last report Melinda was only down 19hp so the wand can help at this point. Will try a few times but a Nat1 blocks any more attempts.
UMD DC 20 [roll0]
UMD DC 20 [roll1]
UMD DC 20 [roll2]

Kish
2019-09-05, 09:21 PM
After confirming that Sierra is still there, Melinda follows the others down to the first floor.

J-H
2019-09-05, 10:17 PM
You arrive at the first floor without incident, coming out of the stairwell at the rear of the room. There are several chairs and tables sitting around, and a large brass statue of a greataxe-wielding minotaur stands opposite an ornate tapestry depicting some battle.

Ground floor map (golems are dead/gone)
https://i.ibb.co/Dw4vycH/mst1.jpg (https://ibb.co/P1xPnXv)

Cavir
2019-09-06, 06:33 PM
Cendrik comes to the ground floor and quickly glances around from right to left. Brand's body still laid in the center. The swordsage's eyes locked on the large brass statue to the left. He didn't trust it before and liked it even less now. He pulled out a wand and started trying to activate it but seemingly his focus was elsewhere.

"The man has a collection of golems and never told his apprentices his emergency plans. Couldn't that thing be his greatest project that he also kept secret from Albin? It's probably guarding the safe room. Surprise is on their side now."

He shakes the wand some more. "Damned thing is supposed to have a few more charges left in it."

Lesser Vigor probably done by now. I believe I'm at 64/80hp now.
Safe to assume Brand's body is still there? I can change my post if not.
Took 7 tries for UMD to work (from OOC). I won't jump that far ahead. Someone else may want to try the wand for themselves before then.

PeacefulOak
2019-09-09, 02:39 PM
Xaanthios

Arriving at the lowest level, having paid the wizard in a bubble little mind, Xaanthios takes a moment to look around the room paying careful attention to details and anything that might stand out as worthy of note. That done, he then begins to carefully examine anything that had stood out to him during his initial scan.

[roll0] Search check (initial)
Then taking 20 on Search looking for Secret Doors for 28 if I don't encounter anything in my initial search.

BelGareth
2019-09-09, 03:03 PM
Rex follows everyone else, and looks at the statue Cendrik is referring to. "I hope it's not, I'm done being hit by those damnable things today." he says in all seriousness. "What are we supposed to do here, look for anything we missed the first time through?"

PeacefulOak
2019-09-09, 03:05 PM
Xaanthios

"That would seem to be the case, friend. Let us seek out this rat's hole, that we might end it." This spoken over his shoulder as he scans the room.

J-H
2019-09-09, 10:28 PM
Xaanthios notices an irregularity in the shape of the room. Opposite the brass statue is a tapestry, providing a flat surface where the wall should curve behind it in a circle. The tapestry was lit on fire earlier, destroying the Sepia Snake Sigil imprinted on it. There’s a wall back there, several feet away from where it should be…and there does appear to be a few faint seams in the rock, albeit not one with any visible latch, handle, or switch.

BelGareth
2019-09-10, 11:34 AM
"Theres a wall back here" says Rex, mostly to himself after Xaan discovers it.

He moves in past the burnt tapestry, careful not to touch the thing, even if it had been burned, he was skeptical of magical abilities, and wanted to avoid anything that had the word 'snake' in it.

He tries to put his shoulder against the wall, and push.

because why not
[roll0]

PeacefulOak
2019-09-10, 02:43 PM
Xaanthios

"Indeed. My patience grows thin, here." He gestures, needlessly, but the motion is tinged with frustration. A surge of motion occurs in the wall as the psion exerts his will upon it, pushing out to create an open archway where once there was a wall.

Spending 7PP to manifest Fabricate on the wall, to open an archway. I can manipulate 7 cubic feet of "mineral" substance, should be enough to open a decent sized path.

Cavir
2019-09-10, 04:41 PM
Cendrik takes a step back to the stairs they had just come from and nods his head. "Makes sense. Stays within the tower but with a way out. Would also make sense to have your attention on the hidden passage while that thing activates and hits you from behind." He doesn't have anything to prove it, but from the first moment he had walked in he had a bad feeling about it. He'd be very happy to be proven wrong. They'd know either way son enough. As Xaanthios works on the stonework Cendrik continues trying to activate the wand in his hand.

I need 7 rounds to get the wand started. Fabricate also takes 7 rounds to finish crafting. :smallcool:

Kish
2019-09-10, 04:52 PM
"You think the wizard might be hiding there?" Melinda stares at the area Xaanthios is manipulating.

PeacefulOak
2019-09-10, 04:55 PM
Xaanthios

"It is the only portion of this tower we have seen that does not appear to conform to the expected layout. I would hazard a guess, if it can be called such, that there is something of import behind this wall. If not a wizard, then a wizard's treasure: something just as useful to us in the moment."

BelGareth
2019-09-10, 05:20 PM
Rex nods "Right, it's got a bronze bull protecting it." he said, flat paned, staring at the statue.

J-H
2019-09-10, 06:05 PM
RexThaun manages to knock a little bit of dust loose by slamming the wall, but nothing else. Xaanthios begins to create an archway. As the stone bends and compresses itself to move aside, a narrow staircase leading downwards is revealed.

Cendrik notices that an 8’x5’ hole has silently formed on the far side of the table & chairs from the others, and may take a single surprise round action.

https://i.ibb.co/mFkGnzN/mst-rd-32.jpg (https://ibb.co/Fq2KQ7H)

Cendrik 16 damage
Rex 68 damage
Melinda 19 damage?
Xaanthios +3 temp HP?; Share Pain
Psicrystal +4 temp HP?

=>Cendrik

Cavir
2019-09-10, 06:59 PM
Cendrik was keeping Xaan's work in the corner of his eye which put the rest of the area in his field of vision. The floor change on the far side didn't escape his highly trained awareness.

"Look out! New hole on the far side of that table." He gave up messing with the wand and was ready for something to pop out of the hole.

Ready action for Flame Snake if a target comes out of the hole.
Side note- I'm torn between Fire Snake and getting to the main entrance to prevent someone escaping.

J-H
2019-09-10, 08:36 PM
Round 33, Part 0

A hideous humanoid figure looking something like a skinned man wielding a bone shortspear rises out of the hole in the ground, unrecognizable to Cendrik. Cendrik slaps his weapon against the ground, and a jet of flame shoots out from it, curling forward, around the furniture, and then into the hole.

You rolled a 1 on K:Planes.
Firesnake [roll0] fire damage, Ref DC 16 half
W1 Ref [roll1] Fail, resist fire 10 means 11 damage
W2 Ref [roll2] Fail, resist fire 10 means 11 damage

W1 11 damage
W2 11 damage

Cendrik 16 damage
Rex 68 damage
Melinda 19 damage?
Psicrystal +4 temp HP?

J-H
2019-09-10, 08:51 PM
Round 33, Part 1

The creature gives an unearthly screech of pain, echoed by another below it. The eyeless thing flies forward, moving very quickly, followed by another one. The first one rushes past Melinda towards Cendrik, while the second settles for the closer target. They look like people broken and rebuilt from parts, and their spears appear to be made of bone, with jagged edges.

As he turns, Xaanthios recognizes them as minor demons (sharing typical outsider traits) called Wrackspawns, creatures who hate the living and wield spears causing pain to shoot through the bodies of any they touch.

Melinda AOO [roll0] for [roll1] vs W1 Hit for 3

I forgot the to-hit bonus from Haste, but both hit anyway
W1 bone spear [roll2] for [roll3], plus [roll4] and sickened with pain for 1 round, Fort DC 18 negates sicken and halves the pain damage. Cendrik Fort save, assuming you’d rather use Mind over Body for Concentration to Fort, [roll5]. saved, 5+3 = 8 damage

W2 bone spear [roll6] for [roll7], plus [roll8] and sickened with pain for 1 round, Fort DC 18 negates sicken and halves the pain damage. Melinda Fort save [roll9]. saved, 9+3 damage = 12

Behind them, a dwarf with a red, angry face, torn robes, and a large grey beard flies out of the hole with the speed of an eagle. You haven't seen him, but this must be Mezzir-Shazz. He glances around for a moment, then points at Xaanthios, muttering something rapidly. A black cloud forms around Xaanthios’s head, swirling around his eyes, but dispersing as Xaanthios manages to resist its effects.

Blindness… Fort DC 19 to prevent.
Xaanthios Fort [roll10]

https://i.ibb.co/dPtSNvq/mst-rd-33.jpg (https://ibb.co/7nQH3D5)
W1 14 damage
W2 11 damage

Cendrik 24 damage
Rex 68 damage
Melinda 12+19 damage?
Psicrystal +4 temp HP?

=> Party

PeacefulOak
2019-09-10, 10:07 PM
Xaanthios

As the shadows disperse from around his head, Xaanthios smiles a cold smile. A flick of his thought brings Avalon to this world once more standing tall before the dwarven mage, the crown that is its head spinning in wordless fury as both claws lash out to tear asunder the already beset dwarf.

A second flick of thought brings a gleaming wall of frigid cold into being, cutting across the room and enveloping the foolish mage. Waves of mind-numbing cold roll from the shimmering field and across the table and chairs, splashing against the car wall.

Swift action expend focus to create Avalon once more at Q11.
Claw 1: [roll0] to hit for [roll1]
Claw 2: [roll2] to hit for [roll3]

Wall of Cold [roll4] from O14 to U10

Cavir
2019-09-11, 06:02 AM
Unarmored, even unskinned, and Melinda helping to provide a distraction? "Perfect." Cendrik's metal claws on both hands tear into the beast.

Swift to change to Assassin's Stance (2d6 sneak attacks and +2 Saves from Swordsage Discipline Focus (Defensive Stance)). TWF full attack. If it drops then 5' step to Q7.

Claw1: [roll0]
damage: [roll1] + [roll2] sneak

Claw2: [roll3]
damage: [roll4] + [roll5] sneak

Claw1#2: [roll6]
damage: [roll7] + [roll8] sneak

If both claws hit, rending: damage: [roll9]

Side notes:
Sweet that dropping the fire snake into the hole worked out
With STR to the d4 base damage making it similar/better to a d6, if all attacks hit that's effectively 12d6 damage. Probably won't get this chance much.

Cavir
2019-09-11, 06:07 AM
Attack #2 crit threat
crit: [roll0] damage: [roll1]

Cavir
2019-09-11, 06:27 AM
The claws count as punching daggers so x3 on crits for an extra
[roll0]

BelGareth
2019-09-12, 10:12 AM
Rex growls, and turns around to face one of the fleshless things with bone spears.

"Not them you dolt, me, I'm meaty and taste better!" he says as he swings his sword at the beast.

5ft step to N8
[roll0]
[roll1] & [roll2]

Attack2 - (1d20+5)[22]
Damage - (1d10+4)[10] & Electricity - (1d6)[2]

Effects: Iron Guards Glare stance (-4 on attacks vs allies to opponents that I threaten), Aura of Vigor
Maneuvers available: Battle Leaders Charge & Vanguard Strike

[roll3]
[roll4]

Foehammer
Douse the Flames
Shield Block
Vanguard Strike
Battle Leaders Charge

Kish
2019-09-16, 09:37 AM
Melinda steps away from the demon that attacked her and quickly incants a spell that has no immediate visible effect.

If Cendrik downed his target, she'll step to Q7; if not, to Q9. True Strike.

J-H
2019-09-16, 09:05 PM
Round 33, Part 2

Cendrick slashes and slices at his foe, flensing large amounts of skin off with every blow against the creature. It collapses to the ground, and then vanishes from sight. Melinda takes advantage of this new safety to step back and cast a spell.

RexThaun steps forwards, chopping at the wrackspawn, half-destroying a chair in the process. It tries to dodge, but he catches it with his blade, and then again on the backswing (hit for 12 & 7 after DR). It’s seriously injured.

Xaanthios summons his astral construct, but it misses. He creates a wall of cold right on top of Mezzir-Shazz, who shivers slightly, but is undaunted.

Fort DC 19 or 20 cold damage
MS fort [roll0] save, 10 damage

MS 16 points of pre-existing damage + 10 from energy wall; unknown buffs
W2 30 damage

Cendrik 24 damage
Rex 68 damage
Melinda 12+19 damage?
Psicrystal +4 temp HP?

J-H
2019-09-16, 09:14 PM
Round 34, Part 1

Mezzir-Shazz floats away from Avalon (roll an AOO), who manages to punch him in the process. Undaunted, he casts another spell, and then calling out with his voice as loud as he can: “Nar-hesh of the third layer, I release you from my bonds, offering the blood of a betrayer and those who would aid him!” A faint roar echoes down from above, followed by a curse from Albin three floors up.

Avalon AOO [roll0] for [roll1] (how are you getting 2d6+7 off the Astral Construct? hit for 15

Slow, targeting everyone.
Fort DC 20 or slowed.
Melinda [roll2] slowed
RexThaun [roll3] very not slowed
Cendrik [roll4] saved, not slowed
Xaanthios [roll5] saved, not slowed
AC [roll6] slowed

The wrackspawn pursues Melinda, stabbing with its spear and slashing with its oversized, clawed hand. It misses with its claws, but drives its spear home, causing Melinda to nearly double over as supernatural pain lights her nerves on fire.

W1 bone spear [roll7] for [roll8], plus [roll9] and sickened with pain for 1 round, Fort DC 18 negates sicken and halves the pain damage. Melinda Fort save [roll10]. hit, not saved, sickened 1 round; 18 damage
Claw [roll11] for [roll12] miss

https://i.ibb.co/sQMG1DN/mst-rd-34-corr.jpg (https://ibb.co/DkSyM6v)

MS 41 damage; unknown buffs
W2 30 damage

Cendrik 24 damage
Rex 68 damage
Melinda 49 damage, slowed, sickened
Psicrystal +4 temp HP?
AC slowed

=> Party

Cavir
2019-09-16, 10:49 PM
The swordsage knew who the bigger threat was. Who knew what other spells Mezzir-Shazz still had? Cendrik darted around Melinda and got right into the enemy wizard's face. Without missing a beat Cendrik grabbed the floating dwarf and threw him.

Floating eh? No dwarven stability bonus? :smallcool:

Swift: Stance to Flame's Blessing
Move to S9 avoiding AoOs from W2.

This maneuver functions like mighty throw (page 73), except as noted here.

As part of this maneuver, you must succeed on a melee touch attack against your foe. You can then make a trip attempt against your enemy. You gain a +4 bonus on the ability check.

If you succeed in tripping your foe, you throw him up to 10 feet away from you in a direction of your choice. You select your enemy’s destination square. The target falls prone in that space and takes 4d6 points of damage. For every 5 points by which you win the opposed check, you gain an additional 5 feet of throw range. For example, if you win by 10, you can place your foe in any space within 20 feet of you. You can throw your opponent into a space occupied by a second foe. In this case, the opponent in the target square also takes 4d6 points of damage and is knocked prone. A Reflex save (DC 14 + your Str modifier) halves this damage and allows the second target to remain standing. The thrown creature then falls prone in a clear space of your choice adjacent to the second target.

Touch attack: [roll0]
Trip check: [roll1] vs Mezzir-Shazz's Dexterity or Strength check
If I can only throw 10', throw him into cold wall at U10
If >10' throw him into W2 and then MS lands prone in O8
Throw damage: [roll2]
MS ends up prone either way.
W2 would get a Reflex DC 16 save for half damage and no prone.

Kish
2019-09-17, 10:43 AM
Melinda steps away from the wrackspawn, her eyes, despite the pain, remaining on the wizard. She throws a sphere of flame at him.

Five-foot step away from the wrackspawn, and cast Orb of Fire: (+20 from True Strike, -1 from Slow, -2 from Sickened, -4 from firing into melee) [roll0] against MS's touch AC, Critical threat check: [roll1] Damage: [roll2] Critical damage: [roll3], fire, and if it hits he needs to make a DC 20 Fortitude save or be dazed for one round.

BelGareth
2019-09-17, 11:21 AM
Rex sees the dwarf floating before him all of a sudden. His eyes go wide.

"Have at thee!" he yells at the dwarf as he sends several chops to the his side.

Switches aura to power (+2 melee)
Full attack!

[roll0]
[roll1] & [roll2]

[roll3]
[roll4] & [roll5]

Maneuvers available: Douse the Flames, Battle Leaders Charge & Vanguard Strike

[roll6]

Foehammer
Douse the Flames
Shield Block
Vanguard Strike
Battle Leaders Charge

PeacefulOak
2019-09-20, 04:08 PM
Xaanthios holds his staff and carefully eyes his surroundings, readying himself to defend against any threat that might approach.

Avalon bellows and steps up to Mezzir-Shaz and lashes out with its claws again!

Xaanthios takes total defense.

Avalon:
Claw 1: [roll0] to hit for [roll1] damage
Claw 2: [roll2] to hit for [roll3] damage

J-H
2019-09-20, 09:19 PM
Round 34, Part 2

Cendrik hurls Mezzir-Shazz into the wrackspawn, knocking the hideous outsider to the ground. Melinda then launches a ball of fire at the wizard, whose defenses flare and absorb most of it, but not all.

38 fire damage, Resist Energy reduces it to 8 damage.
Fort DC20 or daze
MS Fort [roll0] saved

Rexthaun swings at the wizard twice; the magics protecting him deflect the first attack, but not the second (hit for 11). The Astral Construct misses with its attack.

MS 64 damage; unknown buffs
W2 42 damage, prone

Cendrik 24 damage
Rex 68 damage
Melinda 49 damage, slowed, sickened
Psicrystal +4 temp HP?
AC slowed

J-H
2019-09-20, 09:29 PM
Round 35, Part 1

The wrackspawn screeches and chases after Melinda, stabbing her again.

Melinda AC 15 -1 slow = 14
W1 bone spear [roll0] for [roll1], plus [roll2] and sickened with pain for 1 round, Fort DC 18 negates sicken and halves the pain damage. Melinda Fort save [roll3] inclusive of -2 from sickened status. hit for 6+2 after saving = 8 damage
Claw [roll4] for [roll5]

Mezzir-Shazz flies across the room as Avalon punches his in the ribs before turning and casting a spell. A field of black, rubbery tentacles springs out of the ground, lashing at everything in range, grabbing, and squeezing everyone in range. They crush the life out of the wrackspawn, killing it.

Rex AOO [roll6] for [roll7] plus [roll8] miss
Avalon AOO [roll9] for [roll10] hit for 16 damage!

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/blackTentacles.htm
Tentacle grapple check = 22

WS grapple [roll11] vs Tentacle [roll12]; damage [roll13] WS killed
Xaan grapple [roll]1d20+3roll] vs Tentacle [roll14]; damage [roll15] would auto fail, 9 damage
Rex grapple [roll16] vs Tentacle [roll17]; damage [roll18] 8 damage
Mel grapple [roll19] vs Tentacle [roll20]; damage [roll21] 8 damage
AC grapple [roll22] vs Tentacle [roll23]; damage [roll24] 9 damage

https://i.ibb.co/5sgDpcG/mst-rd-35.jpg (https://ibb.co/RQknrHY)
MS 80 damage; unknown buffs

Cendrik 24 damage
Rex 76 damage, grappled
Melinda 65 damage, slowed, grappled
Xaanthios 1 damage; Share Pain, grappled
Psicrystal 0 damage
AC 9 damage, slowed, grappled
=> Party

BelGareth
2019-09-23, 10:00 AM
Rex was grinning as his blade slashed the bastard, but then it quickly faded, as he missed again, and then these black tentacles came out of nowhere, pulling and squeezing him, he couldn't move, so he barked out a line of electricity at the wizard.

then he yelled for the others, "HEY, YOU UP THERE, WE NEED SOME HELP! HE'S GOT US TRAPPED IN SOME BLACK TENTACLE THINGS!"

swift: change aura to vigor (fast healing 2 if less than half HP's)

breathe attack on MS
[roll0] DC 20 ref for half

HP's: 69/136 (healed 2 from aura)
Maneuvers available: Douse the Flames, Shield Block, Battle Leaders Charge & Vanguard Strike

[roll1]

Foehammer
Douse the Flames
Shield Block
Vanguard Strike
Battle Leaders Charge

PeacefulOak
2019-09-23, 03:17 PM
Xaanthios

Xaanthios snarls as the tentacles close around him and squeeze down, shattering the buffer of protection he had created at the base of the tower. A moment of thought calls up the second charge in his anklets and he flickers out of sight, disappearing from the slimy grasp of the dark tentacle and re-appearing at the top of the stairs they had uncovered leading down. He peers downward, looking carefully for threats and gripping his staff firmly.

Avalon shakes and strives to free himself, straining to reach the infuriating dwarf.

Second charge of my Anklets send me to K8, and I'll Spot down the stairs: [roll0]

Avalon uses each of his attacks to try to break free!

[roll1] vs [roll2] Attempt 1
[roll3] vs [roll4] Attempt 2

If either succeed Avalon exits the grapple to space O8 and then moves to M7. Nevermind, no movement. CL 14? That's brutal. We are in trouble.

Cavir
2019-09-24, 06:28 AM
Cendrik also calls upwards, loudly, and authoritatively. "Yeah, hurry up. Your prey is here!"

With Xaanthios slipping out the side, Cendrik sees an opening to use Mezzir-Shazz's own supplies against the wizard. The dexterous swordsage darts around the outside of the black tentacles while also avoiding the wall of cold. Nearing the tunnel Mezzir-Shazz used Cendrik jumps the length of it, rolls, tumbles back up to his feet and zaps one of the wands grabbed upstairs.

Movement with a jump and Extreme Leap skill trick. UMD Lightning Bolt wand at MS while avoiding party members.

Move southwest to P12. Jump check to N12 (moved in a straight line but slight turn for the jump so I don't know if that still counts for moving 20' in a straight line. If not, DC is upped to 20). Extreme Leap extra movement to get to L12. Flame's Blessing (Fire Resist 10) already in effect. Even if I miss the jump roll, I should still have the angle to fire without hitting friendlies.

Jump [roll0]
UMD DC 20 to activate wand [roll1]
Lightning Bolt [roll2] Electricity, Reflex save for half.
Might be useful for Kish to know if our electrical attacks were resisted.

Would be sweet on the next turn to be able to run, jump over the tentacles, land in MS's space, tackle him to the ground and keep him busy there but I don't think the rules can handle that.

Kish
2019-09-26, 09:13 PM
Melinda looks severely injured, but even as she bleeds all over the tentacles, her eyes show nothing but rage. She blinks backward away from the wizard and intones, her slowed speech resonant.

Swift action: activate Anklet of Translocation to blink to T6.

Standard action: Lightning Bolt. Damage to MS: [roll0], DC 20 Reflex save for half.

J-H
2019-09-28, 02:32 PM
Round 35, Part 2

Xaanthios and Melinda both teleport free, while RexThaun concentrates his efforts on killing the dwarven wizard by breathing lightning. Cendrik moves quickly, leaping across the hole in the floor and aiming a lightning bolt at the wizard mid-jump, joined by another lightning bolt from Melinda. The smell of ozone fills the room, and Mezzir-Shazz’s hair stands on end, even as he manages to avoid the worst of the effects.

Lightning breath, 9 damage, Ref DC 20 half
[roll0]
Wand, 16 damage, Ref DC 14 half
[roll1]
Lightning Bolt, 25 damage, ref DC 20 half.
[roll2]
Saved on all! 50 total damage, half = 25

MS 105 damage; unknown buffs

Cendrik 24 damage
Rex 76 damage, grappled
Melinda 63 damage, slowed, grappled
Xaanthios 1 damage; Share Pain, grappled
Psicrystal 0 damage
AC 9 damage, slowed, grappled

J-H
2019-09-28, 02:39 PM
Round 36, Part 1

The tentacles continue to squeeze RexThaun and Avalon. Mezzir-Shazz looks over at the uninjured Xaanthios, and says, completely deadpan, “What do you call a blind wizard in the mountains? A blizzard.”

Rex grapple [roll0] vs Tentacle [roll1]; damage [roll2] squeeze for 8
AC grapple [roll3] vs Tentacle [roll4]; damage [roll5] squeeze for 5

Xaanthios Will [roll6] vs DC 19 or Hideous Laughter Fail! You can write your own description
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/hideousLaughter.htm

https://i.ibb.co/27PFBKT/mst-rd-36.jpg (https://ibb.co/gMwrCgx)
MS 105 damage; unknown buffs

Cendrik 24 damage
Rex 84 damage, grappled
Melinda 63 damage, slowed
Xaanthios 1 damage; Share Pain; prone and laughing uncontrollably
Psicrystal 0 damage
AC 14 damage, slowed, grappled
=> Party

Kish
2019-09-28, 02:49 PM
How tough is this guy? Dwarves... Melinda repeats the same arcane words and gestures with grim determination.

Lightning Bolt. Damage to MS: [roll0], DC 20 Reflex save for half.

Cavir
2019-09-29, 08:25 PM
"That is what goes for dwarven humor?! No wonder you need magic. You are pathetic. Now stop hiding and come over here so I can gut you like I did Brand."

Yup, antagonizing him.
Adaptive Style to regain/swap maneuvers.

BelGareth
2019-10-02, 11:21 AM
Rex struggle against the tendrils who had him locked down, he tried to move, but they bound him so, his armor and weapons bogging him down, even if he had the ability, the magic was strong, too strong for him.

He sighed, and steeled himself against the inevitable.

forgot to roll this.
[roll0]

HP's: 75/136 (healed 2 from aura)
Maneuvers available: Foehammer, Douse the Flames, Shield Block, Battle Leaders Charge & Vanguard Strike

Foehammer
Douse the Flames
Shield Block
Vanguard Strike
Battle Leaders Charge

PeacefulOak
2019-10-05, 06:56 PM
Xaanthios

A raised eyebrow and rolled eyes greet the deplorable pun uttered by the wizard even as the first dark chuckle rolls out of Xaanthios’ mouth. The chuckle deepens and broadens until a full bodied bellowing laugh echoes in the stairwell. He slumps down to sit on the top step, his head thrown back and howling with laughter.

J-H
2019-10-06, 02:53 PM
Round 36, Part 2

Xaanthios falls to the ground, laughing, and doesn’t command Avalon to do anything. Cendrik takes a more meditative response. The construct continues its last orders to try to break free of the ensnaring tentacles, but is unable to overcome them. RexThaun is similarly unsuccessful.

[roll0] vs [roll1]
[roll2] vs [roll3]

Melinda launches more lightning at Mezzir-Shazz, hitting him square on, causing a cry of pain. The wizard looks badly burnt at this point, and appears to be on his last legs. Everyone’s hair is starting to stand on end.

41 damage, Ref DC 20 half

MS Ref [roll4]fail

MS 146 damage; unknown buffs

Cendrik 24 damage
Rex 82 damage, grappled
Melinda 61 damage, slowed
Psicrystal 0 damage
AC 14 damage, slowed, grappled

J-H
2019-10-06, 03:02 PM
Round 37, Part 1

Mezzir-Shazz, floating 10’ in the air in the corner, snarls and incants another spell, before drinking a potion. You can’t see an immediate effect, but the tentacles are separated by an invisible wall, apparent in their movements. From this, Melinda and Cendrik can identify it as a Wall of Force blocking the wizard and the stairway off from them.

CMW [roll0]
Tentacle damage:
Rex grapple [roll1] vs Tentacle [roll2]; damage [roll3]
AC grapple [roll4] vs Tentacle [roll5]; damage [roll6]

https://i.ibb.co/ZKyRr5r/mst-rd-37.jpg (https://ibb.co/xGVKbWb)
(the wall does extend 15’ up to the ceiling)

MS 135 damage; unknown buffs

Cendrik 24 damage
Rex 87 damage, grappled
Melinda 61 damage, slowed
Psicrystal 0 damage
AC 23 damage, slowed, grappled
=> Party

BelGareth
2019-10-07, 12:12 PM
Rex continues to struggle with the black tentacles, he barks out another lighting bolt at the mage, unaware of the wall of force, but for some reason nothing would come forth, he felt the power building within him.

I'm not sure where the wall is, so if he can hit him, cool, if not, oh well.
[roll0] DC 20 for half
[roll1]

HP's: 78/136 (healed 2 from aura)
Effects: Iron Guards Glare stance (-4 on attacks vs allies to opponents that I threaten), Aura of Vigor, breath cooldown [1/3]
Maneuvers available: Shield Block, & Battle Leaders Charge

[roll2]
[roll3]

Foehammer
Douse the Flames
Shield Block
Vanguard Strike
Battle Leaders Charge

Cavir
2019-10-07, 11:09 PM
"Dwarven Coward!" Cendrik runs right at the enemy, even with the black tentacles and wall of force in the way. "Come on Rex, fight your way out." The swordsage continues running right into the same spell that has the dragonborn trapped. Just as the tentacles go to grab him, Cendrik activates his magical boots and suddenly he is on the other side of the invisible wall of force and directly below Mezzir-Shazz.

Cendrik then leaps upward with great skill to make use of the wall, nearly wedging himself between Mezzir-Shazz and the corner, grabs the dwarf by the legs and flings him into into the magical wall the swordsage had just teleported through. Conveniently, the dwarf wizard's own spell is there to help his enemies.

Move to L8, granting the tentacles a chance to grab.
Grapple Resist: [roll0] vs tentacles [roll1] damage [roll2]
Swift: teleport to L6 at ground level.
Standard: Spring Attack: Jump up to reach MS and use Comet Throw to throw him into L7 as close to ground level as I can. I return to the ground level to finish the Spring Attack

Jump DC 20: [roll3]
This maneuver functions like mighty throw (page 73), except as noted here.

As part of this maneuver, you must succeed on a melee touch attack against your foe. You can then make a trip attempt against your enemy. You gain a +4 bonus on the ability check.

If you succeed in tripping your foe, you throw him up to 10 feet away from you in a direction of your choice. You select your enemy’s destination square. The target falls prone in that space and takes 4d6 points of damage. For every 5 points by which you win the opposed check, you gain an additional 5 feet of throw range. For example, if you win by 10, you can place your foe in any space within 20 feet of you. You can throw your opponent into a space occupied by a second foe. In this case, the opponent in the target square also takes 4d6 points of damage and is knocked prone. A Reflex save (DC 14 + your Str modifier) halves this damage and allows the second target to remain standing. The thrown creature then falls prone in a clear space of your choice adjacent to the second target.

Ranged touch attack: [roll4]
Trip check: [roll5] vs Mezzir-Shazz's Dexterity or Strength check (without dwarven bonus)
Throw him into force wall at L7 at ground level
Throw damage: [roll6]

EDIT: The DC I listed ended up being for a long jump without a running start (though it does raise the curious question of does the swift teleport interrupt the 20' run beforehand?). It should have been a high jump check. I have 8' reach and MS is 10' up so I need 2'-3' in height. My roll gets me 3.5' up even if the initial run doesn't count. Grabbing the dwarf by his cankles, using the wall a leverage, and hopefully flinging him.

PeacefulOak
2019-10-08, 10:23 AM
Xaanthios

Xaanthios continues to cackle uncontrollably, the laughter a sound that could drive the weak-willed to madness (it's Hideous Laughter, after all). Avalon continues its futile struggle against the tentacle doom.

I don't think I can command Avalon while laughing, and they can't do much anyways.

[roll0] vs [roll1]

Didn't even win on the die roll, nevermind modifiers. :P

Kish
2019-10-11, 08:36 PM
Melinda steps over to the edge of the area where, judging by the tentacles' restricted movement, the wall is, and casts a spell.

Move to R5, avoiding the tentacles, and cast True Strike.

J-H
2019-10-12, 04:11 PM
Round 37, Part 2

Rex and Melinda each heal 2hp from Rex’s Aura. Melinda edges around the edge of the room, planning something, as she is still slowed (unable to move and cast True Strike).

Xaanthios continues to laugh at the rather bad joke, and Rex tries to break free. Cendrik rushes into the tentacles, teleporting to the far side of the wall, then jumps up, grabbing the dwarven wizard, and throwing him down to the ground. He hits, bounces, and is grabbed by one of the tentacles of his own spell, which latches on and squeezes his bleeding form, cracking ribs and killing him.

Tentacles presumably only grab once per round, so letting that happen and then teleporting out looks fine. Jump check succeeds.
Mezzir-shazz fails the contested trip check.
Throw damage 16. Mezzir-shazz has 3hp left.
MS grapple [roll0] vs Tentacle [roll1]; damage [roll2]

The wall of force and black tentacles expire, as does the spell that's been incapacitating Xaanthios, and the Slow effect on Melinda and RexThaun.

https://i.ibb.co/hF5qNFs/mst-rd-37-end.jpg (https://ibb.co/1GVSNGZ)

Cendrik 24 damage
Rex 85 damage
Melinda 59 damage
Xaanthios 1 damage; Share Pain
Psicrystal 0 damage
AC 23 damage

=>Party
Take 1 round of actions only

Cavir
2019-10-12, 09:42 PM
"Perfect! Killed by his own spell. Wish Great Leader got to see that." Cendrik glances around at his fellow true believers. "Don't forget the trap right there, stay away." He addresses Rex and Melinda. "You two are looking pretty beat up but we haven't heard from Albin above. Want me to go see what's going on up there?" While waiting on an answer the swordsage takes a knee and does a quick search of Mezzir-shazz's body. "Check Brand's body, he didn't get a chance to use any healing potions."

BelGareth
2019-10-14, 11:42 AM
Rex was struggling, and gritting his teeth, thrice cursed arcana magiks! At least xaan's magiks could help him, but he was fast growing frustrated with how helpless you could feel with magik in general. The damnable black tentacles kept on squeezing, and he was certain he was looking down the maw of his doom. But, then they stopped, and he opened his eyes, and then fell to the floor in an awful clang and clatter of armor and weaponry as the tentacles that were holding him fast vanished.

Getting up, with a little bit of struggle, he stayed in the kneeling position, and merely rested. Cut's, stabs, and slashes slowing mending upon his flesh, the blood was slick, and hot, but it was no longer flowing freely, and he caught his breath.

"That was a good move Cendrik, I applaud your battle sense, I was starting to think taking on this Grand Mage was a bad decision," he said with a lopsided grin you could barely make out from under his helm.

Looking up to the stairs, "Someone should let them know? Or do we need to go help with the demon thing?"

Effects: Iron Guards Glare stance (-4 on attacks vs allies to opponents that I threaten), Aura of Vigor, breath cooldown [2/3]

Kish
2019-10-14, 11:00 PM
"Too cocky. He should have retreated when he saw how badly he was outnumbered. Or at least at some point before he died. Ow," Melinda comments.

PeacefulOak
2019-10-15, 05:18 PM
Xaanthios

Breath wheezing in his aching throat, the psion struggles to his feet and moves into the room. A though directs Avalon to the stairs. "We must be wary, the wizard invoked a pact with a demon of some sort, most likely the one our ally mentioned earlier. Be ready, this fight is not yet over."

J-H
2019-10-16, 12:46 PM
Round 38, Part 1

Xaanthios stands, sending his construct towards the stairs. Rex also rises, catching his breath. Melinda snaps free of the slowing effect.

Cendrik checks Mezzir-Shazz’s body.

Items that look like they might be relevant. Take only 1, as it takes a few seconds to assess the body.
Circlet
Belt
Spellbook
Ring 1
Ring 2
Mage Robe
Amulet
Earring

Round 38, Part 2
With the squeal of bending metal, the big brass statue of a minotaur begins to move, sending up a small cloud of dust. Its metal feet scrape against the stone as it shifts its stance and raises its greataxe, light glistening off of every part of its massive, dense body.

Xaanthios and Melinda are able to identify it as a brass golem, a type of golem that only activates when a specific contingency has been met, and which will follow its prey anywhere. Melinda knows that it’s almost totally immune to her magic – except that electricity might interfere with its movements - hard to hit, and poses a deadly threat, especially to the group in its weakened condition.

K: Arcana Natural 20 + 14 = 34!
Not quite using the base version from MM2... but not too far off.

Magic Immunity (Ex): A brass golem is immune to all
spells, spell-like abilities, and supernatural effects, except as
follows. An electricity effect slows it (as the slow spell) for 3
rounds, with no saving throw. A fire effect breaks any slow
effect on the golem and cures 1 point of damage for each 3
points of damage it would otherwise deal.

https://i.ibb.co/bPK576q/mst-rd-38-end.jpg (https://ibb.co/0cGyQn8)

Cendrik 24 damage
Rex 81 damage
Melinda 57 damage
Xaanthios 1 damage; Share Pain
Psicrystal 0 damage
AC 23 damage – how many rounds left on this construct?

=> Party

Kish
2019-10-16, 01:12 PM
"Gah. Nearly immune to magic." Melinda snaps up her hands and fires a lightning bolt at the golem before turning to run up the stairs.

Damage to golem, if the damage roll determines anything: [roll0], DC 20 Reflex save for half.

BelGareth
2019-10-16, 02:39 PM
Rex sighs, "not again", as he moves to intercept the thing, and keep it from the rest of the party.

Moves to R7
Standard: Total defense
swift: change aura to Energy Shield (deals 4 electricity damage when hit to attacker)

AC: 30
T: 15 FF: 26
Effects: Iron Guards Glare stance (-4 on attacks vs allies to opponents that I threaten), Aura of Vigor, breath cooldown [1/3]
Maneuvers available: Shield Block, & Battle Leaders Charge

[roll0]

Foehammer
Douse the Flames
Shield Block
Vanguard Strike
Battle Leaders Charge

PeacefulOak
2019-10-16, 06:02 PM
Xaanthios

When the statue surges into motion Xaanthios curses once, with bitter vehemence. "I am spent, friends, and Avalon has only a short time left with us here.
I doubt our allies capacity to aid us with this new threat. Perhaps flight is our best option?"

A thought sends Avalon crashing into the monstrosity of bronze, both claws lashing out to scrape against the surface of the creature.

Avalon move to S8, and attack. I believe this is round 4 for Avalon, meaning 3 rounds remaining. I'll double check. Avalon has a single round left, and then Xaanthios will be contributing ACTUALLY nothing to this combat anymore, apart from my vast knowledge.

[roll0] to hit for [roll1] damage
[roll2] to hit for [roll3] damage

Xaanthios will also take the total defense action until his more martial allies give some form of instruction.

Cavir
2019-10-16, 08:15 PM
"That dwarf was a coward and an idiot. He'd still be alive and us dead if he had merely woken that thing up sooner. See? I told you it was a threat. Let's see who it really wants." Cendrik grabs the amulet from the dead wizard and dons it while he heads towards the door. He directs a commanding voice to the statue. "Hey! I didn't kill the master. The master killed himself with his own magic. Stop where you are!"

Don amulet and move to O11.
How much longer on that wall of cold? I think "friendly" walls have been the source of all my damage in the tower :smalleek: