PDA

View Full Version : Awkward stats

Shadowbane13
2018-12-13, 08:05 PM
So I have a fighter that I have planned out. I'm going EK and so when I rolled him I put the high numbers, in order,
str 18
con 16
int 15
dex 15
wis 11
cha. 8
So in doing so I unintentionally put an 8 for cha but my Intel is a 15. What would you guys say is the best way to play this characters personality? I cant make him like dumb and refer to himself in third person, so far I've just made him arrogant which has made for some interesting npc interactions.

Prince Vine
2018-12-13, 08:11 PM
I would just make him painfully dull. He speaks in a dry dull monotone and almost exclusively in quotations of ancient, boring writers no one cares about.

Sharur
2018-12-13, 08:16 PM
High intelligence, low charisma...as a geek and a nerd, I'd say play him as a stereotypical geek and/or nerd...actually, I find the mental image of a trained, well muscled fighter behaving in such a manner quiet ammusing.

Lunali
2018-12-13, 08:17 PM
An 8 in cha doesn't make him terribly bad in social situations, anything introverted would be reasonable.

Misterwhisper
2018-12-13, 08:38 PM
With the high other stats other than wis, he could be a know it all that always corrects people and tries to one up them.

Or

He could just have no tact.

I am currently playing a character with an 8 charisma, he just has no sense of personal space and is overly friendly and touchy.

He is a warforged and last game while sitting at an inn table with the party and the others were drinking and eating he leaned over and kind of gently poked the warlock in the party in the throat and asked him how the whole eating thing worked.

Son of A Lich!
2018-12-13, 09:13 PM
I'd play him as a weapon snob, myself.

Huh... You WOULD call that a glaive, it's not... if you care. It's technically a Voulge. I mean, Obviously... Psh, sometimes I wonder if you all know how to even hold your own daggers properly for real uses...

Phoenix042
2018-12-13, 09:22 PM

Huh... You WOULD call that a glaive, it's not... if you care. It's technically a Voulge. I mean, Obviously... Psh, sometimes I wonder if you all know how to even hold your own daggers properly for real uses...

THIS.

This is the best idea so far.

Make him a nerd, but about, like, fighter-y, jockish stuff. Make him a totally warrior-nerd, like that one friend you have who knows absolutely everything about guns and gun accessories, right down to their history and all the was of abusing gray areas in the law, etc.

strangebloke
2018-12-13, 09:37 PM
Man, don't overthink it. Come up with a character and then assign stats.

In this case....

Well, usually when I make a low-wis, low-cha character, its because they're introverted and a little insecure. Their introversion makes them rather poor at noticing the world around them at times(perception, insight), and their introversion also makes them not the best at speaking to others.

Corran
2018-12-13, 10:03 PM
You can come up with great ideas and plans, but it's hard for your character to ''sell'' them. Due to high intelligence, these ideas can be overcomplicated (but still efficient, due to average wisdom; low wisdom high intelligent would be fun to play, in a sense that your ideas might be very clever but they would probably fail a lot of the time due to you missing or miscalculating something really simple, in other words you'd be great at theory but you'd not be the best when it came to transitioning from theory to action) and this could be why it's hard for your character to convince others to go along with them, because while the ideas are good, your character has not the charisma to explain them well to others, neither can your character make them sound cool enough for others to at least be inspired and trust that your plan would work, even though they might not understand 100% your plan. Then again, the randomness of the d20, along with how taking up skill proficiencies can mitigate the significance of your base stats regarding various interactions of your character with the environment, means that you don't really need to fix your character's behavior to clichés. But if you want to judge everything just by looking at your character's stats, high intelligence means you can come up with answers to riddle and good strategies more often than the average individual, low charisma means you are not good at inspiring and leading others or generally to have an easy time making people that don't know you very well realize that you are smart if you want to combine the two.

Edit: That can play out well if your party is working with a group of NPC's. You explain the plan to everyone, the NPC's are in doubt, and then a high charisma PC steps in and says ''What my buddy here is trying to say is...'', and they basically say whatever you said with their own words, possibly explaining a bit better several bits and pieces so that the NPC's can better understand how the plan is good. Extra points if the NPC's end up believing that what the high charisma PC says is a completely different plan and much better than your plan, and end up giving the high charisma PC all the credit and praise if the plan ends up being successful.
Apologies in advance for saying something morbid, but high INT low CHA could also translate to your character's talents being recognized after death.:smalltongue:

Clistenes
2018-12-14, 05:07 AM

But don't overdo it... his CHA isn't that low, and his WIS is slightly above average... He should notice it when people think he's being an ass, and be able to shup his mouth.

Really, with those stats you could roleplay just as a normal guy who isn't very communicative...