PDA

View Full Version : Why is my skype trying to force update?!

Togath
2018-12-14, 06:24 AM
So I restarted my computer like normal tonight, rebooted skype, and now it is trying to force update.:smalleek: What the hell is going on? How do I stop it besides not using it?

Razade
2018-12-14, 06:29 AM
So I restarted my computer like normal tonight, rebooted skype, and now it is trying to force update.:smalleek: What the hell is going on? How do I stop it besides not using it?

I doubt there's a way. Sometimes they get you like that but it's from a place of...well...it's not nefarious. Older versions of software have a lot of problems and security loopholes that people can exploit that newer versions shouldn't (they have their own problems!) and forcing people to update to them is the company's way of making sure any outdated versions are no longer in use.

Togath
2018-12-14, 06:31 AM
Yeah, but it was fine until just now, so what the heck changed? Did it just bug out?

Togath
2018-12-14, 06:56 AM
I keep getting this "option" that actually just tries to force the terrible new layout of skype on me, for some reason. And it wasn't here yesterday.
https://i.imgur.com/pp242rD.png
It's just... like... what even? I tried googling this, and got zero results.

Razade
2018-12-14, 06:58 AM
Yeah, but it was fine until just now, so what the heck changed? Did it just bug out?

I keep getting this "option" that actually just tries to force the terrible new layout of skype on me, for some reason. And it wasn't here yesterday.
https://i.imgur.com/pp242rD.png
It's just... like... what even? I tried googling this, and got zero results.

The software checks for updates and updates can be added whenever. Updates can be made to ping at certain times or dates or...whatever you want really. All that's happened is you've hit one of these. The software checked for an update, it saw one, it was flagged as non-optional and now you're being forced to change layout because Skype wants to standardize as best they can a security net that works for them.

It's just doing what it does. Nothing is out of the ordinary here.

Togath
2018-12-14, 07:02 AM
I had auto updates disabled, and last I read microsoft was letting people continue to use the old version of skype, not be forced to update. When did that change?:smallconfused:

snowblizz
2018-12-14, 07:03 AM
Every once in a while decision ar emade to update the look of stuff, basically "because". I notice MS Office has recently revamped the icons and visuals. It would not surprise me if Skype has been affected to bring it into line with the rest of MS's products.

It could also be that they decided that hey we think this would be much better if it looked different. This focus group we had thought so.

With staggered releases of product to not overwhelm servers, users deferring updates and what not, sometimes yes you end up updating seemingly out of nowhere.

I had to around this time last year help someone update their MacOS because newer Skype refused to work on the old os and old Skype refused to connect to the Skype servers. That was...fun.

Razade
2018-12-14, 07:06 AM
I had auto updates disabled, and last I read microsoft was letting people continue to use the old version of skype, not be forced to update. When did that change?:smallconfused:

Who knows. Does it really matter? It's changed. You have to update or find a new platform. That's really all you've got open to you.

Togath
2018-12-14, 07:09 AM
Maybe I can contact online support and ask if this flag can be unflagged?

snowblizz
2018-12-14, 07:23 AM
Maybe I can contact online support and ask if this flag can be unflagged?

Sounds exceedlingly unlikely. If they are forcing updates they are forcing them because they really want it. There's not going to be a way to exclude you.

Eventually you'll end up like my Mac users. Unable to use Skype because the server refuses connections to your old software.

Razade is unfortuantely correct in that it boils down to update or quit.

Togath
2018-12-14, 07:34 AM
I... I need to calm down. This isn't the end of the world or anything. It's just having a rough day on top of insomnia and pain that made this tip me over the edge mentally. I'm really really sorry for how I've acted tonight.

snowblizz
2018-12-14, 07:34 AM
Maybe if I go to their physical headquarters and demand to talk to someone I could obtain an exception? They are only a few minutes away(well, okay, 20-ish).
Not right now, but, like, sometime in the next few days.

OOOooo. While you are at it, can you get them to bring back the Lumia phones. I'm starting to think I need to get a new phone and there's nothing I want on the market to replace my Lumia 920 with. I need a windows phone phone dang it.

I... I need to calm down. This isn't the end of the world or anything. It's just having a rough day on top of insomnia and pain that made this tip me over the edge mentally. I'm really really sorry for how I've acted tonight.

It absolutely sucks I know. There's just not a lot one can do as a user. If we can get you past anger and denial into barganing and finally acceptance I think we done a good deed for today.:smallsmile:

Mordaedil
2019-01-08, 08:23 AM
1. Go to your Temp folderStart Menu->Run->%temp%
2. Delete SkypeSetup.exe

3. Create an empty textfile - > name it SkypeSetup.exe

4. Make the file read-only by right-clicking it and checking the box.

Enjoy no longer being forced to update.

DataNinja
2019-01-08, 08:46 PM
I believe it's because this year they've finally stopped support for the old version of Skype, after waffling about it for so long. It's been on the cusp of being entirely inaccessible without an update since, like, November of last year (which was when the good version was originally slated to not work). So, I would imagine that if you don't update, you'll be unable to connect, I'm afraid.

veti
2019-01-09, 01:01 AM
1. Go to your Temp folderStart Menu->Run->%temp%
2. Delete SkypeSetup.exe

3. Create an empty textfile - > name it SkypeSetup.exe

4. Make the file read-only by right-clicking it and checking the box.

Enjoy no longer being forced to update.

The downside of that is that pretty soon, your outdated Skype will completely fail to connect. Possibly even fail to start at all. So it's a hollow victory.

Mordaedil
2019-01-09, 06:26 AM
The downside of that is that pretty soon, your outdated Skype will completely fail to connect. Possibly even fail to start at all. So it's a hollow victory.
Uh, no. The routines in the software still makes the same call connections. I still use a Skype version from 2012 without issues.