PDA

View Full Version : Can this multiclass survive until level 20?

Rags & Bags
2018-12-14, 09:18 AM
I'm in a campaign that is going to be going to level 20. Whether or not we survive with our original characters is yet to be seen.

Thematically, I've created- i think- an interesting character, but that doesn't mean survivability. I wanted to know what the people here thought of a multiclass like this.

Bard of Lore 10/ Fey Warlock 5/ Wild Sorcerer 3/ Rogue 2

Currently i'm a 4 bard, 2 warlock:

S: 13
D: 16
C: 17
I: 10
W: 16
C: 20

In terms of party roles, I'm the face. I have the disguise self/ silent image "evocations" (cleric charlatan stuff). If you've read a Midsummer night dream, i'm Puck. A zanny illusionist. I do espionage or support the party.

I spent time ensuring this is somewhat optimized, but i'm still a novice so i know i'm opt to miss the obvious. Any help or furthering questions are greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Edit 1: Thank you for the cost benefit analysis, folks. I think I should omit sorcerer entirely, do one level in rogue and cap out warlock at 3.

So: Bard 16/Warlock 3/ Rogue 1

Wildarm
2018-12-14, 09:31 AM
I'd recommend just going Warlock 2/Bard X

You're not gaining much for Sorcerer or Rogue dip to be honest. Sorcerer levels don't give enough Metamagic spell points to do anything truely impactful(unless you consume a lot of spell slots) and the Rogue dip just gives you some expertise and bonus actions. Access to higher level spells is much better than all of that.

You could go Warlock 3/Bard X if you wanted more magical versatility. Bards have some really good 2nd level spells so have two 2nd level short rest spells is nice and you could go tomelock and get access to every ritual in the game(this can be huge depending on the campaign and party composition). Otherwise, I'd say just keep piling on bard levels. If you're aiming for a full LV20 game, you want to get access to 9th level spells(Wish!) rather than a mix of situationally useful abilities. You'll get an extra feat if you stick with at least 16 bard levels. Going Level 18 bard gets you wish though which is a great capstone.

Unoriginal
2018-12-14, 09:50 AM
I'm in a campaign that is going to be going to level 20. Whether or not we survive with our original characters is yet to be seen.

Thematically, I've created- i think- an interesting character, but that doesn't mean survivability. I wanted to know what the people here thought of a multiclass like this.

Bard of Lore 10/ Fey Warlock 5/ Wild Sorcerer 3/ Rogue 2

Currently i'm a 4 bard, 2 warlock:

S: 13
D: 16
C: 17
I: 10
W: 16
C: 20

In terms of party roles, I'm the face. I have the disguise self/ silent image "evocations" (cleric charlatan stuff). If you've read a Midsummer night dream, i'm Puck. A zanny illusionist. I do espionage or support the party.

I spent time ensuring this is somewhat optimized, but i'm still a novice so i know i'm opt to miss the obvious. Any help or furthering questions are greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Well, if you're going from lvl 1 to 20, what is your projected progression. As in, at which levels will you multiclass or take a level in one you already have, etc.

Rags & Bags
2018-12-14, 09:54 AM
Well, if you're going from lvl 1 to 20, what is your projected progression. As in, at which levels will you multiclass or take a level in one you already have, etc.

Bard 3/ Warlock 2/ Bard 4/ Sorcerer 1/ Bard 5/ Rogue 1/ Warlock 3/ Bard 6/ Rogue 2/ Sorcerer 3/ Bard 10/ Warlock 5

(i'm not set on this progression, it just seems to work for the intended story line)

Nhorianscum
2018-12-14, 09:55 AM
You can certainly survive to 20 if the campain goes that long, this character has utility and survivability on-tap but you may want to pick up at least 6th level spells and have a few really potent raw power tricks up your sleve.

I'd suggest dropping rouge for sorc3/bard11/lock6 here. Alternately if you want a feat to pick up theives tools and an 8th level slot over misty escape I'd suggest sorc3/bard12/lock 5.

With 3rd level lock slots metamagic is pretty good assuming the OP is going subtle+heighten. Take your sorc levels in one go though. 1 and 2 are pretty much dead levels here.

Specter
2018-12-14, 10:13 AM
Survive? Sure. Be effective? Not so much. You'll always be fighting for spells, and never get any other high level abilities.

I'd drop Sorcerer, because at level 3 you get very few sorcery points to use metamagic decently.

Keravath
2018-12-14, 10:25 AM
I'd tend to agree with the above poster. If you are going to 20th level then I would suggest 2 warlock/bard X. There are two main reasons ..

9th level spells.
18th level bard magical secrets.

Anything less than bard 17 and you will not have 9th level spells and these can all be game changers at level 20. The 18th level magical secrets lets the bard choose 2 more spells from ANY class. The bard can pick up iconic 9th level spells like Wish, Meteor Swarm or True Resurrection among lots of others ... Wish gives immense flexibility in spell casting since it can emulate any spell up to 8th level besides other uses.

These considerations only really matter at the highest levels though.

I don't think the sorcerer adds anything to your character. You'd be better off with more levels of bard for 6th level spells. Two levels of rogue allows for expertise and cunning action which are cool and can be useful but again block the characters higher level progression. I'm also not sure what you are getting from the extra levels 3-5 in warlock except two short rest 3rd level slots, some more slots and an extra invocation.

I'd also be tempted to swap the silent image invocation for agonizing blast since that will give you a good scaling ranged attack using eldritch blast for the turns when you don't cast a spell. You can always have silent image as a first level spell. With the warlock levels you will have six first level spell slots which should be enough to use silent image when you need it (though I admit using it at will is very cool).

I think you will have fun with it whatever you do ... but if you want to be able to cast some of the iconic spells that can really have a huge impact when you are in the level 17-20 range then you need to keep the multiclassing to two or three levels at most.

MilkmanDanimal
2018-12-14, 10:46 AM
As handy as Cunning Action is, two levels of Rogue just isn't worth it for giving up other Bard advancement options. Same with three levels of Sorcerer. Put it all in to Bard and Warlock.