PDA

View Full Version : Player Help An Artificer's dilemma: What to make with dragon bits.

Bgharcourt
2018-12-14, 10:00 AM
So I'm playing an Artificer in a game, and last session (after killing a silver dragon) I gathered enough materials to make either 1 major magic item or 2 minor. I would like to make 2 items for the group, but am having trouble coming up with ideas for them. I could just go with some sets of armor of cold resistance, but I want to be a little more creative.

Could use some help, folks.

Unoriginal
2018-12-14, 10:03 AM
What magic items are you capable of creating?

Nounverber
2018-12-14, 11:51 AM
Things you can make out of dragons depends mainly on what parts are intact.

Claws/Fangs:
Piercing or slashing weapons

Bones:
Bows
Bludgeoning weapons
Skull helm (maybe)
Staves

Hide:
Armor
Cloaks

For magic effects, it depends on what part you used and how effective you want. For example a common magic dragonfang dagger could be something like +1 energy damage. An uncommon would be +1 energy damage but also +1 attack. A rare would be +2d6 energy damage.

Dragon magic item effects:
Energy damage
Energy resistance/immunity
Darkvision/blindsense
+AC/saves
Demoralizing/fear effects
Reduced falling/flight
X/day spell related to energy

This is about all I can tell you without really knowing what you want to make or what's considered major or minor

KorvinStarmast
2018-12-14, 11:53 AM
So I'm playing an Artificer in a game, and last session (after killing a silver dragon) I gathered enough materials to make either 1 major magic item or 2 minor. I would like to make 2 items for the group, but am having trouble coming up with ideas for them. I could just go with some sets of armor of cold resistance, but I want to be a little more creative.

Could use some help, folks. If you don't make dragon hide armor, it seems a waste. The silver is soooooooo pretty and shiny.

carrdrivesyou
2018-12-14, 12:02 PM
I had a sorcerer one time that took the blue wings off a dragon the group had slain and had them grafted to my back. Using that logic, it really depends on what you want to do.

Ideas:
Wings (duh)
Truesight Eyes
Fire Breath lungs
Magic weapons from teeth, bones, and claws
Armor or cloaks from skin and scales
Raw Arcane power boost from the heart
Gods know what knowledge from the brain.

Just something to think about.

Bgharcourt
2018-12-14, 12:32 PM
What magic items are you capable of creating?

I can make items from the DMG, but I am looking to make custom (Homebrew) items. We are a band of evil adventures. The party consists of a fighter, paladin, rogue, warlock, bard, cleric, and me. I'm using the artificer from Geeks New England(on mobile, no link), the armorer subclass.

Phoenix042
2018-12-14, 02:11 PM
I can make items from the DMG, but I am looking to make custom (Homebrew) items. We are a band of evil adventures. The party consists of a fighter, paladin, rogue, warlock, bard, cleric, and me. I'm using the artificer from Geeks New England(on mobile, no link), the armorer subclass.

Oh, well if you're looking for homebrew that changes things.

Some of my favorite dragon items I've invented:

Dragon talismans: These empower a dragonborn's breath weapon, or grant a non-dragonborn a 1/day use of the breathweapon as if they were a dragonborn. They are common magic items in all my games. This is partly intended as an indirect buff to dragonborn characters.

A character can benefit from only one talisman at a time.

Claw: While wearing a talisman of the claw, a dragonborn who takes the attack action and has the extra attack feature or a similar feature can breathe in place of an attack, and the range of the breath weapon is doubled.

Horn: While wearing a talisman of the horn, a dragonborn who uses their action to cast a spell can breathe as a bonus action, and the range of the breath weapon is doubled.

Tooth: While wearing a talisman of the tooth, a dragonborn's breath weapon deals 1d6 extra damage of the appropriate type, it's DC increases by 1, and the range of the breath weapon is doubled.

A non-dragonborn must attune to one of these talismans to gain any benefit. Such a wearer gains the use of a breath weapon appropriate to the type of dragon that the talisman is from, useable once per long rest (with all the benefits of the talisman). The breath weapon's damage, range, and DC is determined as if the wearer were a dragonborn of their level. A non-dragonborn using this breath weapon also takes 1d6 damage of the appropriate type.

Other items:
Dragon-scale talisman (Uncommon): A dragon scale talisman comes in many varieties. A wearer that takes damage of the appropriate type (fire for red, etc) can use their reaction to gain resistance to the triggering damage. Alternatively, a user hit by a weapon attack can use their reaction to gain a +2 bonus to AC against further attacks made by the same creature that turn. Once this talisman has been used, it cannot be used again for 1 minute.

Dragon-tooth dagger (Uncommon): A dragon-tooth dagger comes in many varieties. Each dagger holds three charges. A wielder who deals damage with a dragon-tooth dagger can expend a charge to deal 2d6 damage of the appropriate type (fire for red, etc) to the target and up to one additional creature within 5ft of the target. The dagger regains 1d3 charges each day at dawn, and also regains 1d3 charges if the wielder takes damage from a true dragon's breath weapon.

Dragon heart-string harp (or any string instrument) (Uncommon): A character who is proficient with this instrument can use an action to play it and choose any number of allies within 60ft who can hear the performance. An affected ally who is frightened because of a failed saving throw can repeat the saving throw with advantage immediately. Once this feature has been used, it cannot be used again for one minute.
Additionally, you can play a dragon-heart-string instrument during a short rest. If you do, any allies (including yourself) who hear your entire performance have advantage on their next saving throw against being frightened.

Dragon bone horn (rare): This mighty horn comes in many varieties. A creature that blows the horn takes 3d6 damage of the appropriate type (fire for red, etc). The horn is clearly audible for 300ft. All creatures of the wielder's choice within that range must succeed on a wisdom saving throw (DC 11 + the wielder's constitution mod). An affected creature is frightened of the wielder for one minute. A frightened creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of it's turns, ending the effect on itself on a success. Once a creature has succeeded on this save, it is immune to the effect of any Dragon bone horn for 24 hours.

Dragon-bone tattoo (uncommon): This tattoo's ink contains finely ground dragonbone. Such a tattoo is permanent, and a dragon that sees a dragon-bone tattoo instantly recognizes it and may become unfriendly or hostile (at the DM's discretion). The wearer has advantage on charisma (intimidate) checks made to influence dragons and their relatives (including dragonborn). To be effective, the tattoo must be prominent and clearly visible. At the DM's discretion, followers and worshipers of dragons who recognize the tattoo may also be easier to intimidate, but may also become unfriendly or hostile to the wearer on sight.
Dragons view these tattoos as deeply unsettling and depraved, and consider their use especially disrespectful to the dead compared to other magic items, since the wearer is literally infusing the bones of the dead into their flesh. Long time wearers of these tattoos have been known to develop an unhealthy desire to hoard gold and gems.

I have more if you want them. Let me know what you think.

Wildarm
2018-12-14, 03:14 PM
Staff of Frost or Wand of Paralysis would be very suitable items to be made from a silver dragon

Frostbrand weapons are likely fine

Silver Dragon Scale Mail is of course fine.