PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed [3.5] Alternate Summoning

liquidformat
2018-12-14, 11:03 AM
So on pg 37 of the DMG there is an alternate summoning system based on having one or a few creatures that you summon, it strikes me somewhat as mini-cohort type system. Anyways I was wondering what people thought of it and if anyone had tried it out. I don't have the time to type up a full summary of the changes write now but will try to later.

Fizban
2018-12-14, 12:09 PM
Summoning unique individuals is interesting, but ultimately summoning spells are viewed as 100% disposable combat or other problem solving power, so it's rather against how basically any optimizer would use them when you go and use a variant that drops a 24 hour cooldown when your summons are defeated, and limits their "daily" abilities to actual daily limits, and limits them to a single hp load. It's far cheaper and easier to take feats and class features and magic items that make disposable summons more powerful, than it is to leverage the ability to hand items to your particular summons. Which you can't even do until you have access to Plane Shift, Planar Binding, Planar Ally, or other way to travel to their home. Any items which make your summon more powerful almost certainly would have been better spent on making anyone else in the party more powerful.

If you'd only ever want to summon a given creature once per day so those limits don't matter, then there's not even much of a difference. The retained information scouting effect is something you can already do with a familiar, or other information gathering spells, or by building a homunculus, or scouting items. You can have pet names and running gags with the DM without a mechanical variant.

If you do want to summon unique individuals, it's better to drop the idea of summon monster lists entirely, and go to limited personal lists. At which point you actually are almost "recruiting" a set of individual creatures, who can only fight when you spend the time and magic to let them, for a limited time. This stable of fighters can then be actual individuals the DM has altered, and could be more powerful than normal to compensate for their limitations, char-op'd to whatever your table finds appropriate.

There's also the problem or feature of the fact that 3.5 massively ballooned the number of creatures on the SM list. So an arcanist can just summon the other thing that's almost exactly the same. The specific variant on p37 says that the player can roll the stats, but doesn't say how: if they use the PHB standard rolling method then on average this does result in a small power boost, as the monsters should end up with at least a couple abilities higher than normal. But again, there's so many creatures that they can just roll for every single one and ignore all the bad rolls, or take normal stats for the important creatures and then roll for the rest to generate a few more worth using. And then hilariously they're only allowed to replace one creature per level, so by that wording, you get your new summon spell with a dozen new creatures but only get to drop one from the dozens you already have at previous levels. Running this one as-is creates a ridiculous amount of bookkeeping for the chance to buff a few creatures that you'll only be able to reliably use 1/day.

liquidformat
2018-12-14, 01:09 PM
If you do want to summon unique individuals, it's better to drop the idea of summon monster lists entirely, and go to limited personal lists. At which point you actually are almost "recruiting" a set of individual creatures, who can only fight when you spend the time and magic to let them, for a limited time. This stable of fighters can then be actual individuals the DM has altered, and could be more powerful than normal to compensate for their limitations, char-op'd to whatever your table finds appropriate.

Ya I was already thinking this could be used with limited thematic lists. So you would have a smaller more powerful list of creatures that say all come from the same plane or something like that. I was looking at it for a game where we are already dramatically messing with a lot of spell casting as well as classes in general and thought it was a rather interesting choice that could throw traditional summoning on its head. I am just trying to figure out if it would be viable and concerns to address, such as number of new creatures each time and what that actually is referring to...

Falontani
2018-12-14, 01:25 PM
I have been using the alternate summoning in my campaign, and the dm allows me 3 creatures per summon level, which as long as they fall within the correct cr range is fine. This means that I have a half fiend magmin on my demonologist summon list that is taking levels in warlock. If there is interest I can post my sm table with stat blocks (that include augment summoning)

Palanan
2018-12-14, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by Falontani
If there is interest I can post my sm table with stat blocks (that include augment summoning)...

I'd definitely be interested in seeing this.

liquidformat
2018-12-14, 03:14 PM
Me too, this was just what I was thinking would be nice to see some stuff from someone actually running it.

Fizban
2018-12-14, 06:15 PM
Don't forget that CR range isn't the only thing that matters for summons. There are a bunch of monsters on there with SLAs with varying levels of utility and infringing upon spells nearly the same level. And while spells cast do officially end when the summon leaves, SLAs and Su abilties lack that note. It's meant I've removed and kicked back a number of creatures on my own SM table rework, even when I'm using the 3.5 SM as the main starting point.

Falontani
2018-12-14, 07:28 PM
Creature

Alignment

Template

CR

Summon Monster 1

Dire Rat

Chaotic Evil

Anarchic, Fiendish

1/3

Tiny Fire Elemental

N

1/3

Tiefling Warrior

Chaotic Evil

-
1/2

Summon Monster 2

Wolf

Chaotic Evil

Anarchic, Fiendish

Small Fire Elemental

N

Mane

Chaotic Evil

1(more like ⅓)

Summon Monster 3

Hellhound

Neutral Evil

Medium Fire Elemental

N

Dretch

Chaotic Evil

Summon Monster 4

Wrackspawn

Chaotic Evil

Gadacro

Chaotic Evil

Magmin

Chaotic Neutral

Summon Monster 5

Ekolid

Chaotic Evil

Guecubu

Chaotic Evil

Advanced Magmin

Chaotic Neutral

Summon Monster 6

Aspect of Zuggtmoy

Chaotic Evil

Advanced Magmin

Chaotic Evil

Half Fiend

Nightmare

Neutral Evil

Summon Monster 7

Lesser “Avatar” of Juiblex

Chaotic Evil

Advanced Magmin

Chaotic Evil

Half Fiend

Soulstealer

Chaotic Evil

Dark

Towards the end I have things becoming more and more Chaotic Evil due to my Summoning Mastery granting me higher level summons when using lower level summon spells when summoning Chaotic Evil creatures.

Tiefling, 1st-Level
Warrior
Medium Outsider (Native)
Hit Dice: 1d8+1 (11 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 15 (+1 Dex, +4 Scalemail), touch 11, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/+2
Attack: Heavy Poleaxe +4 (2d6+4) or Thrown Javelin +2 (1d6+3) (30 ft range) or Dagger +4 (1d4+3)
Full Attack: Heavy Poleaxe +4 (2d6+4) or Thrown Javelin +2 (1d6+3) (30 ft range) (has 8)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Darkness
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., resistance to cold 5, electricity 5, and fire 5
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +1, Will –1
Abilities: Str 17, Dex 13, Con 16, Int 12, Wis 9, Cha 6
Skills: Bluff +0, Hide +7, Move Silently +5, Sleight of Hand +5
Feats: Exotic Weapon Prof: Heavy Poleaxe
Challenge Rating: 1/2
Alignment: Chaotic Evil

Note: I could easily have advanced this guy through most of my tables, however I wanted something a bit more demonic than a simple Teifling[/spoiler

Anarchic Fiendish Dire Rat
Size/Type: Small Magical Beast (Extraplanar)
Hit Dice: 1d8+2 (10 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares), climb 20 ft.
Armor Class: 15 (+1 size, +3 Dex, +1 natural), touch 14, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-2
Attack: Bite +4 melee (1d4+2 plus disease)
Full Attack: Bite +4 melee (1d4+2 plus disease)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Disease, smite good, smite law
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent, darkvision 60ft., resistance to Acid 5, Cold 5, Electricity 5, Fire 5, and Sonic 5, spell resistance 6, Immunity to Polymorph, Immunity to Petrification
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +5, Will +3
Abilities: Str 14, Dex 17, Con 14, Int 3, Wis 12, Cha 4
Skills: Climb +11, Hide +8, Listen +4, Move Silently +4, Spot +4, Swim +11
Feats: Ability Focus (Disease), Weapon FinesseB
Challenge Rating: 1/3
Alignment: chaotic evil

Disease (Ex)
Filth fever—bite, Fortitude DC 15, incubation period 1d3 days, damage 1d3 Dex and 1d3 Con. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Smite Good (Su)
Once per day a fiendish dire rat can make a normal melee attack to deal 1 point of extra damage against a good foe.

Smite Law (Su)
Once per day a fiendish dire rat can make a normal melee attack to deal 1 point of extra damage against a lawful foe.

Note: I only added the Anarchic Template because I wanted it to be more in line with my character, not for a pure power grab, I have summoned this guy once[/spoiler
[SPOILER=Tiny Fire Elemental]

Tiny Fire Elemental
Size/Type: Tiny Elemental (Fire, Extraplanar)
Hit Dice: 1d8 (10 hp)
Initiative: +6
Speed: 25 ft. (5 squares)
Armor Class: 15 (+2 size, +2 Dex, +1 natural), touch 14, flat-footed 13
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/-8
Attack: Slam +5 melee (1d3 plus 1d3 fire)
Full Attack: Slam +5 melee (1d3 plus 1d3 fire)
Special Attacks: Burn
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., elemental traits, immunity to fire, vulnerability to cold
Saves: Fort +0, Ref +5, Will +0
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 15, Con 14, Int 4, Wis 11, Cha 11
Skills: Listen +2, Spot +3
Feats: Dodge, Improved Initiative(B), Weapon Finesse(B)

Burn (Ex): A fire elemental’s slam attack deals bludgeoning damage plus fire damage from the elemental’s flaming body. Those hit by a fire elemental‘s slam attack also must succeed on a Reflex save DC 12 or catch on fire. The flame burns for 1d4 rounds. . A burning creature can take a move action to put out the flame. The save DC is Constitution- based.

Creatures hitting a fire elemental with natural weapons or unarmed attacks take fire damage as though hit by the elemental’s attack, and also catch on fire unless they succeed on a Reflex save.

Note: I looked high and low for this creature, I knew them to exist, but couldn't find them. I asked the DM if I could extrapolate the stats based on the larger versions, he agreed. I created this statblock, and then a few months ago (when I stopped summoning this guy) I found the actual statblock, which actually... is less like a normal fire elemental and more like a familiar statblock (which is fine in and of itself) I told the DM and he told me to keep the old statblock to keep consistency

Demon
Small Outsider (Chaotic, Evil, Extraplanar, Tanari’ri)
Hit Dice: 1d8 (10 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 20 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 14 (+1 Size, +3 Natural), touch 11, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/-2
Attack: Claw +3 (1d3+2)
Full Attack: 2 Claws +3 (1d3+2), Bite +1 (1d4+1)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Darkness
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft, Acidic Cloud, DR 5/ Cold Iron or Good, Immunity to Electricity/Poison, 10 Acid/Cold/Fire Resist, 100 ft Telepathy
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +2, Will –2
Abilities: Str 14, Dex 10, Con 18, Int 3, Wis 3, Cha 3
Skills: Climb +6, Hide +8, Jump +6, Move Silently +4
Feats: Multiattack
Challenge Rating: 1

Acidic Cloud (Su): When a mane dies, it dissolves into a cloud of noxious vapor. Anyone within 10 ft of a slain main who fails a DC 14 Reflex save takes 1d6 points of acid damage.

Note: This guy is absolute crap. Only took it for the flavor that I am a demonologist.

Anarchic Fiendish Wolf
Size/Type: Medium Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 2d8+4 (21 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 50 ft. (10 squares)
Armor Class: 14 (+2 Dex, +2 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/+4
Attack: Bite +5 melee (1d6+4)
Full Attack: Bite +5 melee (1d6+4)
Special Attacks: Trip, Smite Good, Smite Law
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent, Darkvision 60 ft, 5 Acid/Cold/Electricity/Fire/Sonic Resistance, Immunity to Polymorph/Petrification
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +5, Will +1
Abilities: Str 17, Dex 15, Con 19, Int 3, Wis 12, Cha 6
Skills: Hide +2, Listen +3, Move Silently +3, Spot +3, Survival +1*
Feats: Track(B), Weapon Focus (bite)

Smite Good (Su)
Once per day a fiendish dire rat can make a normal melee attack to deal 2 points of extra damage against a good foe.

Smite Law (Su)
Once per day a fiendish dire rat can make a normal melee attack to deal 2 points of extra damage against a lawful foe.

Trip (Ex)
A wolf that hits with a bite attack can attempt to trip the opponent (+3 check modifier) as a free action without making a touch attack or provoking an attack of opportunity. If the attempt fails, the opponent cannot react to trip the wolf.

Small Fire Elemental
Size/Type: Small Elemental (Fire, Extraplanar)
Hit Dice: 2d8 (17 hp)
Initiative: +5
Armor Class: 15 (+1 size, +1 Dex, +3 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/-1
Attack: Slam +4 melee (1d4+2 plus 1d4 fire)
Full Attack: Slam +4 melee (1d4+2 plus 1d4 fire)
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., elemental traits, immunity to fire, vulnerability to cold Saves: Fort +2, Ref +4, Will +0
Abilities: Str 14, Dex 13, Con 14, Int 4, Wis 11, Cha 11
Skills: Listen +2, Spot +3
Feats: Dodge, Improved Initiative(B), Weapon Finesse(B)

Burn (Ex): A fire elemental’s slam attack deals bludgeoning damage plus fire damage from the elemental’s flaming body. Those hit by a fire elemental‘s slam attack also must succeed on a Reflex save DC 13 or catch on fire. The flame burns for 1d4 rounds. . A burning creature can take a move action to put out the flame. The save DC is Constitution- based.

Creatures hitting a fire elemental with natural weapons or unarmed attacks take fire damage as though hit by the elemental’s attack, and also catch on fire unless they succeed on a Reflex save.

Medium Outsider (Evil, Extraplanar, Fire)
Hit Dice: 4d8+12 (35 hp)
Initiative: +5
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares)
Armor Class: 16 (+1 Dex, +5 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+7
Attack: Bite +7 melee (1d8+4 plus 1d6 fire)
Full Attack: Bite +7 melee (1d8+4 plus 1d6 fire)
Special Attacks: Breath weapon, fiery bite
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., immunity to fire, scent, vulnerability to cold
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +5, Will +4
Abilities: Str 17, Dex 13, Con 17, Int 6, Wis 10, Cha 6
Skills: +13 Hide, +13 Move Silently, +7 Survival*, +7 Spot, +7 Listen, Kn The Planes +5
Feats: Improved Initiative, Run, TrackB
Environment: Nine Hells of Baator
Organization: Solitary, pair, or pack (5–12)
Challenge Rating: 3
Treasure: None
Alignment: Neutral Evil
Advancement: 5–8 HD (Medium)
Level Adjustment: +3 (cohort)
Hell hounds are efficient hunters. A favorite pack tactic is to surround prey quietly, then attack with one or two hounds, driving it toward the rest with their fiery breath. If the prey doesn’t run, the pack closes in. Hellhounds track fleeing prey relentlessly.
A hell hound’s natural weapons, as well as any weapons it wields, are treated as evil-aligned for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.
Breath Weapon (Su): 10-foot cone, once every 2d4 rounds, damage 2d6 fire, Reflex DC 15 half. The save DC is Constitution-Based.
Fiery Bite (Su): A hell hound deals an extra 1d6 points of fire damage every time it bites an opponent, as if its bite were a flaming weapon.

Skills: Hell hounds have a +5 racial bonus on Hide and Move Silently checks.
*They also receive a +8 racial bonus on Survival checks when tracking by scent, due to their keen sense of smell.

Size/Type: Medium Elemental (Extraplanar, Fire)
Hit Dice: 4d8+16 (39 hp)
Initiative: +7
Armor Class: 16 (+3 Dex, +3 natural), touch 13, flat-footed 13
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+4
Attack: Slam +6 (1d6+3 plus 1d6 fire)
Full Attack: Slam +6 (1d6+3 plus 1d6 fire)
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft, elemental traits, immunity to fire, vulnerability to cold
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +7, Will +1
Abilities: Str 16, Dex 17, Con 18, Int 4, Wis 11, Cha 11
Skills: Listen +3, Spot +4
Feats: Improved Initiative(B), Weapon Finesse(B), Dodge, Martial Study: Distracting Ember

Burn (Ex): A fire elemental’s slam attack deals bludgeoning damage plus fire damage from the elemental’s flaming body. Those hit by a fire elemental‘s slam attack also must succeed on a Reflex save DC 16 or catch on fire. The flame burns for 1d4 rounds. . A burning creature can take a move action to put out the flame. The save DC is Constitution- based.

Distracting Ember (Su): 1 swift action, range 30 ft, lasts until end of round
This boost allows you to conjure a Small Fire Elemental to threaten your enemy, providing you or an ally with the benefit of a flanking position. You can use this ability to place the elemental in any space within range. The elemental remains until the end of your current turn. It threatens all creatures within its reach. It takes no actions or attacks of opportunity during your turn.

Dretch
Small Outsider (Chaotic, Extraplanar, Evil, Tanar’ri)
Hit Dice: 2d8+8 (21 hp)
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares)
Armor Class: 16 (+1 size, +5 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 16
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/–1
Attack: Claw +6 melee (1d6+3)
Full Attack: 2 claws +6 melee (1d6+3) and bite +4 melee (1d4+1)
Special Attacks: Spell-like abilities, summon tanar’ri
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 5/cold iron or good, darkvision 60 ft., immunity to electricity and poison, resistance to acid 10, cold 10, and fire 10, telepathy 100 ft.
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +3, Will +3
Abilities: Str 16, Dex 10, Con 18, Int 5, Wis 11, Cha 11
Skills: 5 skills: Hide +5, Move Silently +5, Listen +5, Spot +5, Knowledge the Planes -1
Feats: Multiattack
Challenge Rating: 2
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always chaotic evil
Advancement: 3–6 HD (Small)
Level Adjustment: +2
This humanoid-looking creature has a squat and blubbery, almost hairless body, with pale, sickly flesh and a slack mouth full of small fangs. Dretches are pathetic but wicked creatures that spend most of their time milling about in mobs or serving as rank-and-file troops in tanar’ri armies.
A dretch is about 4 feet tall and weighs about 60 pounds.
Dretches cannot speak but can communicate telepathically.
Combat
Dretches are slow, stupid, and not very effective combatants. In one-on-one combat, they rely on their damage reduction to keep them alive. In groups, they depend on sheer numbers to overcome foes and immediately summon other dretches to improve the odds in battle. They flee at the first sign of adversity unless more powerful demons are present to intimidate them into fighting. Dretches’ fear of their greater kin is stronger then even their fear of death.
A dretch’s natural weapons, as well as any weapons it wields, are treated as chaotic-aligned and evil-aligned for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.
Spell-Like Abilities: 1/day—scare (DC 12), stinking cloud (DC 13). Caster level 2nd. The save DCs are Charisma-based.
Summon Tanar’ri (Sp): Once per day a dretch can attempt to summon another dretch with a 35% chance of success. This ability is the equivalent of a 1st-level spell.
Telepathy (Su): Dretches can communicate telepathically with creatures within 100 feet that speak Abyssal.

Size/Type: Medium Outsider (Chaotic, Evil, Extraplanar)
Hit Dice: 4d8+36 (59 hp)
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares)
Armor Class: 14 (+2 natural, +2 armor), touch 10, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+10
Attack: Doubleclaw +10 (2d4+9) or Thrown Bone Shortspear +10 (1d6+6 plus Pain)
Special Attacks: Pain, Aligned Strike
Special Qualities: Blindsight 120 ft, 10 Fire Resistance, Immunity to Gaze Attacks, Illusions, and Visual Effects
Saves: Fort +12, Ref +4, Will +4
Abilities: Str 23, Dex 10, Con 26, Int 6, Wis 11, Cha 12
Skills: Listen +7, Hide +7, Move Silently +7, Sleight of Hand +7, Balance +7, Jump +13
Feats: Improved Toughness, Brutal Throw

Pain (Su) A living creature injured by the Wrackspawn's bone shortspear takes an extra 2d6 points of damage and is sickened with pain for 1 round. DC 20 half damage, negates sickened

A creature that looks like a bat-winged child with purple skin dives from the air, its black talons stretching out for your eyes. A necklace that appears to be fashioned from eyeballs dangles about its neck.

Size/Type: Small Outsider (Chaotic, Evil, Extraplanar, Tanar’ri)
Hit Dice: 4d8+16 (39 hp)
Initiative: +4
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), Fly 40 ft (Perfect) (8 squares)
Armor Class: 15 (+1 Size, +4 Dex), touch 15, flat-footed 11
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+0
Attack: Talon +9 (1d6 18-20*3)
Special Attacks: Aligned Strike (Chaotic, Evil), Eyethief, Sneak Attack +1d6
Special Qualities: Darkvision 120 ft, Superior Low-Light Vision, Telepathy 100 ft, DR 5/Cold Iron or Good, Sudden Escape, Immunity to Electricity/Poison, 10 Acid/Cold/Fire Resistance
Saves: Fort +8, Ref +8, Will +4
Abilities: Str 11, Dex 18, Con 19, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 12
Skills: Balance +11, Escape Artist +15, Hide +15, Listen +7, Move Silently +11, Search +6, Spot +11
Feats: Weapon Finesse, Mindsight
Languages: Abyssal, Celestial, Draconic

Sudden Escape (Ex) If an gadacro takes damage from a melee attack, it can, as an immediate action, disappear in a puff of smoke and brimstone and reappear in a square up to 20 feet away to which it has line of sight.

Eyethief (Ex) An gadacro can forgo its sneak attack damage or extra damage on a confirmed critical hit to instead blind its opponent for 5 rounds. A creature that has been blinded in this way cannot be affected again until it has recovered from the current effect. Creatures that lack eyes are immune.

Spell-Like Abilities (CL 4th):
1/day—earthbind (DC 13, see sidebar), mirror image

Note: This thing is a fun summon! Highly recommended.

Size/Type: Small Elemental (Fire, Extraplanar)
Hit Dice: 2d8+6 (19 hp)
Armor Class: 17 (+1 size, +6 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 17
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/+1
Attack: Burning touch +6 melee touch (1d8 fire plus combustion) or slam +6 melee (1d3+3 plus combustion)
Full Attack: Burning touch +6 melee touch (1d8 fire plus combustion) or slam +6 melee (1d3+3 plus combustion)
Special Attacks: Combustion, fiery aura
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 5/magic, darkvision 60 ft., elemental traits, immunity to fire, melt weapons, vulnerability to cold
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +0
Abilities: Str 19, Dex 11, Con 17, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 10
Skills: Spot +5
Feats: Martial Study: Distracting Ember

Combustion (Ex)
Anyone a magmin touches must succeed on a DC 14 Reflex save or take an extra 1d8 points of fire damage as clothes ignite or armor becomes searing hot. The damage continues for another 1d4+2 rounds after the magmin’s last successful attack. Magmins can also ignite flammable materials with a touch. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Fiery Aura (Ex)
Anyone within 20 feet of a magmin must succeed on a DC 14 Fortitude save or take 1d6 points of heat damage per round from the intense heat. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Melt Weapons (Ex)
Any metal weapon that strikes a magmin must succeed on a DC 14 Fortitude save or melt away into slag. The save DC is Constitution-based.

This boost allows you to conjure a Small Fire Elemental to threaten your enemy, providing you or an ally with the benefit of a flanking position. You can use this ability to place the elemental in any space within range. The elemental remains until the end of your current turn. It threatens all creatures within its reach. It takes no actions or attacks of opportunity during your turn.

Size/Type: Medium Elemental (Fire, Extraplanar)
Hit Dice: 6d8+6 (57 hp)
Initiative: -1
Armor Class: 15 (+6 natural, -1 Dex), touch 9, flat-footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+11
Attack: Burning touch +11 melee touch (3d6 fire plus combustion) or slam +11 melee (1d4+7 plus combustion)
Full Attack: Burning touch +11 melee touch (3d6 fire plus combustion) or slam +11 melee (1d4+7 plus combustion)
Special Attacks: Combustion, fiery aura
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 5/magic, darkvision 60 ft., elemental traits, immunity to fire, melt weapons, vulnerability to cold
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +4, Will +2
Abilities: Str 24, Dex 9, Con 19, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 10
Skills: Spot +9
Feats: Martial Study: Distracting Ember, Ability Focus: Combustion, Improved Natural Attack: Burning Touch

Combustion (Ex)
Anyone a magmin touches must succeed on a DC 17 Reflex save or take an extra 3d6 points of fire damage as clothes ignite or armor becomes searing hot. The damage continues for another 1d4+2 rounds after the magmin’s last successful attack. Magmins can also ignite flammable materials with a touch. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Fiery Aura (Ex)
Anyone within 20 feet of a magmin must succeed on a DC 17 Fortitude save or take 1d8 points of heat damage per round from the intense heat. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Melt Weapons (Ex)
Any metal weapon that strikes a magmin must succeed on a DC 17 Fortitude save or melt away into slag. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Note: Straight up advanced HD using normal CR rules here. From here on the summons get interesting.

Size/Type: Small Outsider (Chaotic, Evil, Extraplanar, Obyrinth)
Hit Dice: 6d8+4 (67 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares), Climb 30 ft (6 squares), Fly 60 ft (Average) (12 squares)
Armor Class: 17 (+3 natural, +3 Dex, +1 size), touch 14, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+4
Attack: +8 Sting (1d6+2 plus Implant Egg) or Bite +8 (1d4)
Full Attack: 6 stings +8 (1d6+2 plus Implant Egg) and bite +6 (1d4+1)
Special Attacks: Implant Egg, Form of Madness
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft, True Seeing, Quickness, Fast Healing 5, Immunity to Mind-Affecting spells/abilities and Poison, 10 Acid/Cold/Fire/Electricity Resistance, Obyrith traits, DR 5/cold iron or Law
Saves: Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +8
Abilities: Str 14, Dex 16, Con 19, Int 10, Wis 18, Cha 13
Skills:
Feats: Ability Focus: Implant Egg, Multiattack, Improved Natural Attack: Sting

Form of Madness (Su) A creature within 60 feet that observes an Ekolid must attempt a DC 14 Will save. Failure indicates the creature begins hallucinating that tiny biting insects are infesting its hair, skin, and clothes. The victim takes a -1 penalty on all skill checks and must succeed on a DC 10 concentration check in order to cast any spells until the insanity is cured by Heal, Greater Restoration, Miracle, or Wish. A creature that makes the save is immune to that particular ekolid's form of madness for 24 hours. This is a mind-affecting ability that does not affect chaotic evil outsiders. The Save DC is cha based.
Looking at multiple ekolids requires a separate save for each one's form of madness, but the effects are not cumulative.

Implant Egg (Ex) Each time a creature takes damage from an ekolid's sting attack, it must attempt a DC 15 fort save. Failure indicates that the ekolid implants an egg just under the creature's skin. An implanted egg hatches at the start of the ekolid's next run, at which point a ravenous ekolid grub gnaws its way out of the victim. This deals 1d6 points of damage per egg that hatches and nauseates the victim for 1 round (no matter how many eggs hatch). Remove Disease or a similar effect destroys any unhatched eggs but immunity to disease does not prevent infestation. Newly hatched ekolids are otherwise harmless, but grow to maturity quickly over the course of only a few hours. A hatched grub falls to the ground after crawling free of its host. A grub has 1 hit point and effectively no armor class. The save DC is con based.

Quickness (Su) An ekolid is supernaturally quick. It can take an extra move action during its turn each round.

Note: Holy crap. 6 sting attacks and a bite attack, a scary effect if a creature fails their save. Flight and True Sight. And Full Attack nearly every round. These guys are a scary summon!

Size/Type: Medium Outsider (Chaotic, Evil, Extraplanar, Incorporeal, Loumara)
Hit Dice: 4d8+ ( hp)
Speed: 30 ft. Fly (Perfect) (6 squares)
Armor Class: 15 (+3 deflection, +2 dexterity), touch 15, flat-footed 13
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/-
Attack: +6 Touch (Sleep DC 17, 1 hour)
Special Attacks: Haunting Aura, Possession, Sleeping Touch, Telekinesis
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft, Telepathy, DR 5/Cold Iron or Lawful, Immunity to Acid/Electricity/Fire, 10 cold resistance, Natural Invisibility, Incorporeal Traits, Loumara Traits
Saves: Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +7
Abilities: Str -, Dex 15, Con 18, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 17
Skills: Concentration +11, Bluff +10, Disguise +10, Diplomacy +10, Intimidate +10, Sleight of Hand +9, Spot +10
Feats: Ability Focus: Sleep Touch, Ability Focus: Telekinesis

Haunting Aura (Su) Outside of a host body, a Guecubu's presence is unnerving and distracting. Any living creature within 60 feet of a guecubu in its natural form must succeed on a will save DC 15 or be shaken for as long as it remains in this area. An affected creature that attempts to rest within a Guecubu's haunting aura can do so but gains no benefit from sleeping and awakens fatigued, as if it had not slept at all. Once a creature makes this saving throw, it is immune to that particular Guecubu's haunting aura for 24 hours.

Natural Invisibility (Su) This ability is constant, allowing a guecubu to remain invisible even when attacking. This ability is inherent and not subject to the invisibility purge Spell.

Possession (Su) A guecubu can possess any sleeping animal or humanoid. It must enter a square occupied by the sleeping creature to possess it. The victim is entitled to a DC 15 will save to resist possession; however, a successful save does not cause the victim to awaken, nor is the victim aware of the possession attempt even after waking (although the victim can dimly recall some strange, otherworldly dream). The DC is cha based.
A guecubu can take any of the following roles while possessing a creature: Ally, controller, enemy, mutterer, or rider. See Demonic Possession, page 21, for more info (fiendish codex 1)

Sleep Touch (Su) A creature touched by a guecubu in its natural form must make a successful DC 17 save or immediately fall into a deep sleep for 1 hour. A sleeping creature is helpless. Slapping or wounding the sleeping creature awakens it, but normal noise does not. Waking a creature is a standard action. This is a mind affecting sleep effect. The save DC is cha based.

Telekinesis (Su) A guecubu can use telekinesis as a standard action (CL equals the guecubu's HD, max 20th). A guecubu can use this ability even while possessing a creature without that creature realizing it is technically the source of the effect. If a guecubu elects to hurl something such as a boulder or other dense object, it deals 2d6 points of damage on a hit. Weapons hurled in this manner deal damage appropriate for the weapons in question. A guecubu does not apply any str mod to damage dealt by telekinetically hurled objects. Its chance to hit is equal to its bab + its cha mod. (+7)

Note: This guy is fairly weak, I don't remember why I chose him.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/PeJSl9tPgU1WlpTbqknRsT-cdxODDLWJIDy5loCntUJlZ_H5p1tRya4hcoAgVy7beE8EfyCTi rAsfQFNNKnP8bwxwSUtIZ9HVBNYovjA6aIR86Q6lBJhLxGhP9r hH_iTAbB9x6jQ
Size/Type: Large Outsider (Chaotic, Evil, Extraplanar, Tanar'ri)
Hit Dice: 7d8+ (128 hp)
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares), 20 ft climb (4 squares)
Armor Class: 21 (+10 Natural, -1 size, +2 dexterity), touch 11, flat-footed 19
Base Attack/Grapple: +7/+22
Attack: pseudopod +13 (2d6+7) or claw +13 (1d6+7)
Full Attack: 2 pseudopods +13 (2d6+7), 2 claws +8 (1d6+3)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Improved Grab, Constrict, Engulf
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft, Telepathy 100 ft, DR 10/Good, Immunity to Electricity, 10 Fire/Cold Resistance, Plant Traits, Tanar'ri Traits
Saves: Fort +13, Ref +7, Will +8
Abilities: Str 24, Dex 14, Con 28, Int 18, Wis 16, Cha 14
Skills: Bluff +12, Diplomacy +4, Hide +8, Intimidate +14, Knowledge (dungeoneering) +14, Knowledge (nature) +14, Knowledge (religion) +14, Knowledge (the planes) +14, Listen +13, Move Silently +12, Search +14, Spot +13, Survival +3 (+5 aboveground natural settings, +5 on other planes, +5 following tracks, +7 following tracks in aboveground natural settings, +7 following tracks on other planes), Use Magic Device +12
Feats: Improved Unarmed Strike, Improved Grapple, Earth’s Embrace
Languages Abyssal, Common, Terran

Constrict (Ex) The aspect of Zuggtmoy deals 2d6+5 points of damage with a successful grapple check, in addition to damage from her pseudopod Attack.

Earth’s Embrace (Ex) Creatures that you Pin suffers an additional 1d12 damage per round, creatures immune to critical hits are immune to this damage.

Engulf (Ex) The aspect of Zuggtmoy can absorb a grappled creature into her body provided it is size Medium or smaller. In order to engulf a creature, the aspect of Zuggtmoy need only win a new grapple check against her already grappled foe. Each round, fungal enzymes eat away at the engulfed victim and deal 1d2 points of Constitution damage. A creature drained to 0 Constitution is absorbed completely by the aspect of Zuggtmoy. Any gear the creature might have had is exuded out of her body at this time. An engulfed creature is considered grappled while the aspect of Zuggtmoy is not. An engulfed creature can attempt to cut its way free with any light slashing or piercing weapon by dealing 20 points of damage (AC 15, DR 10/good). Once the creature exits, muscular action closes the hole; another engulfed opponent must cut its own way out.

Improved Grab (Ex) To use this ability, an aspect of Zuggtmoy must hit an opponent of any size with a pseudopod attack. She can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If she wins the grapple check, she establishes a hold and can constrict. If she successfully grapples a Medium or smaller target, she can attempt to engulf that target the next round.

Plant Traits: Although she is an outsider, an aspect of Zuggtmoy gains many of the traits of a plant creature. She is immune to poison, paralysis, polymorph, sleep effects, and stunning, and she is not subject to critical hits or sneak attack damage.

Note: Where do I even begin? Holy crap summoning this guy is scary. When I first summoned her the party all turned to me and asked me if I was actually crazy.

Advanced Half-Palrethee Magmin
Size/Type: Medium Outsider(Fire, Extraplanar, Chaotic, Evil)
Hit Dice: 6d8+ (75 hp)
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares) 60 ft fly (Good) (12 squares)
Armor Class: 19 (+8 natural, +1 Dex), touch 11, flat-footed 18
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+16
Attack: Burning touch +16 melee touch (3d6 fire plus combustion) or slam +16 melee (1d4+10 plus combustion)
Full Attack: Burning touch +16 melee touch (3d6 fire plus combustion) or slam +16 melee (1d4+10 plus combustion)
Special Attacks: Combustion, fiery aura, Smite Good
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 5/Cold Iron+Magic, darkvision 60 ft., elemental traits, immunity to fire, melt weapons, vulnerability to cold, 10 Electricity/Acid Resistance, SR 16
Saves: Fort +12, Ref +6, Will +5
Abilities: Str 30, Dex 13, Con 24, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 10
Skills: Spot +9
Feats: Martial Study: Distracting Ember, Ability Focus: Combustion, Improved Natural Attack: Burning Touch

Smite Good (Su): 1/day +0 to hit, +6 damage against good target

Combustion (Ex)
Anyone a magmin touches must succeed on a DC 22 Reflex save or take an extra 3d6 points of fire damage as clothes ignite or armor becomes searing hot. The damage continues for another 1d4+2 rounds after the magmin’s last successful attack. Magmins can also ignite flammable materials with a touch. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Fiery Aura (Ex)
Anyone within 20 feet of a magmin must succeed on a DC 20 Fortitude save or take 1d8 points of heat damage per round from the intense heat. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Melt Weapons (Ex)
Any metal weapon that strikes a magmin must succeed on a DC 20 Fortitude save or melt away into slag. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Spell Like Abilities: Body of the Sun 1/day, Fire Eyes 3/day, Fire Stride 1/day

Note: Already another note? How to create Half-Palrethee (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060630a) I got DM permission for the template before applying it, then applied it and he face palmed.

Size/Type: Large Outsider (Evil, Extraplanar)
Hit Dice: 6d8+30 (63 hp)
Initiative: +6
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares), fly 90 ft. (good)
Armor Class: 24 (-1 size, +2 Dex, +13 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 22
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+16
Attack: Hoof +11 melee (1d8+6 plus 1d4 fire)
Full Attack: 2 hooves +11 melee (1d8+6 plus 1d4 fire) and bite +6 melee (1d8+3) Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Flaming hooves, smoke
Special Qualities: Astral projection, darkvision 60 ft., etherealness
Saves: Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +6
Abilities: Str 22, Dex 15, Con 20, Int 13, Wis 13, Cha 12
Skills:
Feats: Alertness, Improved Initiative, Run

Flaming Hooves (Su)
A blow from a nightmare’s hooves sets combustible materials alight.

Smoke (Su) During the excitement of battle, a nightmare snorts and neighs with rage. This snorting fills a 15-foot cone with a hot, sulfurous smoke that chokes and blinds opponents. Anyone in the cone must succeed on a DC 18 Fortitude save or take a -2 penalty on all attack and damage rolls until 1d6 minutes after leaving the cone. The cone lasts 1 round, and the nightmare uses it once as a free action during its turn each round. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Because of the smoke it gives off, a nightmare has concealment against creatures 5 feet away and total concealment against creatures 10 feet or farther away. The smoke does not obscure the nightmare’s vision at all.

Astral Projection and Etherealness (Su) These abilities function just like the spells of the same names (caster level 20th); a nightmare can use either at will.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/XYzhqQJxsE6qZ5rKxRmf4ucYPC9hhquLmaLQB6i5JUkNv0441B KYcqK0HGgkVrOALsuy08LucC9CR9zOVVo2AFHTgI8lNmReEe8k J7CMNHfop4fv-vMFVSsoHciLg9hQIEEz3ClV
Lesser “Avatar” of Juiblex
Size/Type: Large Elemental (Extraplanar, Water)
Hit Dice: 8d8 plus 2d10+ (135 hp)
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares) 30 ft climb; Sludge Form
Armor Class: 19 (+8 natural, +2 dex, -1 size), touch 11, flat-footed 17
Base Attack/Grapple: +8/+23
Attack: Unarmed Strike +18 (2d6+14)
Full Attack: Unarmed Strike +18/+13 (2d6+14) and 2 slams +13 (1d10+8 plus Slimy Infestation)
Special Attacks: Sludge Form, Slimy Infestation
Special Qualities: Elemental Immunities, Sludge Form, Elemental Traits, DR 5/-, Blindsense 60 ft, Darkvision 60 ft
Saves: Fort +17, Ref +4, Will +2
Abilities: Str 32, Dex 14, Con 26, Int 7, Wis 11, Cha 15
Skills: Climb +19, Intimidate +16
Feats: Willing Deformity, Willing Deformity Abominable Form, Otherworldly Countenance, Claws of the Beast, Improved Unarmed Strike, Superior Unarmed Strike

Sludge Form (Ex) A spawn of Juiblex flows like thick, muddy water as it moves. Its movement never provokes attacks of opportunity. It ignores difficult terrain and can freely pass through other creatures’ spaces, though it cannot end its movement in such a place.
If a lesser spawn of Juiblex enters a living creature’s space, that creature must attempt a DC 23 Fortitude save. On a failed save, the creature takes 2d6 points of damage and is sickened for 1 round. On a successful save, the creature takes half damage and is not sickened.
This ability is effective against a given creature only once per round. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Slimy Infestation (Su) When a spawn of Juiblex deals damage to a creature with its slam attack, it covers its target with a thick coat of slime. At the start of the spawn’s turn, it can animate the slime covering all foes within 100 feet as a free action. The slime sprouts tentacles and attacks any creature within 10 feet (including the target if no other creatures are in reach). It makes a slam attack with an attack bonus equal to the spawn’s (normally +12), dealing damage equal to 1d8 points + 1/2 the spawn’s Str modifier (normally +5).

Note: The Aspect of Juiblex is... weaksauce. Utter weaksauce. Zuggtemoy advanced would have been more powerful. So I took the Lesser Spawn of Juiblex from MMV, and progressed it instead.

Advanced Half-Palrethee Magmin Warlock
Size/Type: Medium Outsider(Fire, Extraplanar, Chaotic, Evil)
Hit Dice: 6d8+4d6 (129 hp)
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares) 60 ft fly (Good) (12 squares)
Armor Class: 20 (+8 natural, +2 Dex), touch 12, flat-footed 18
Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+16
Attack: Burning touch +23 melee touch (3d6 fire plus combustion) or slam +23 melee (1d4+12 plus combustion) or Hideous Blow +23 (7d6 fire plus combustion plus Brimstone Blast)
Full Attack: Burning touch +23 melee touch (3d6 fire plus combustion) or slam +23 melee (1d4+12 plus combustion) or Hideous Blow +23 (7d6 fire plus combustion plus Brimstone Blast)
Special Attacks: Combustion, fiery aura, Smite Good
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 5/Cold Iron+Magic, darkvision 60 ft., elemental traits, immunity to fire, melt weapons, vulnerability to cold, 10 Electricity/Acid Resistance, SR 20, Deceive Item
Saves: Fort +14, Ref +8, Will +8
Abilities: Str 34, Dex 14, Con 27, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 16
Skills: Spot +8, Spellcraft +12, Knowledge The Planes +1
Feats: Martial Study: Distracting Ember, Ability Focus: Combustion, Improved Natural Attack: Burning Touch, Practiced Spellcaster: Warlock

Smite Good (Su): 1/day +3 to hit, +10 damage against good target

Combustion (Ex)
Anyone a magmin touches must succeed on a DC 25 Reflex save or take an extra 3d6 points of fire damage as clothes ignite or armor becomes searing hot. The damage continues for another 1d4+2 rounds after the magmin’s last successful attack. Magmins can also ignite flammable materials with a touch. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Fiery Aura (Ex)
Anyone within 20 feet of a magmin must succeed on a DC 23 Fortitude save or take 1d8 points of heat damage per round from the intense heat. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Melt Weapons (Ex)
Any metal weapon that strikes a magmin must succeed on a DC 23 Fortitude save or melt away into slag. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Spell Like Abilities: Body of the Sun 1/day, Fire Eyes 3/day, Fire Stride 1/day, Fire Shield 2/day, Body Blaze 1/day, At Will: Eldritch Blast +4d6, Scalding Gust, Hideous Blow, Entropic Warding, Brimstone Blast, Flee the Scene, Detect Magic

Souleater]
Dark Souleater
Large Outsider (Evil)
Hit Dice: 8d8 (99 hp)
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares)
Armor Class: 18 (–1 size, +1 Dex, +8 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 17
Base Attack/Grapple: +8/+19
Attack: Bite +15 melee (2d6+7)
Full Attack: Bite +15 melee (2d6+7) and 2 claws +12 melee (1d6+3)
Special Attacks: Consume soul, soulless aura
Special Qualities: Telepathy 100 ft, vulnerability to turning, Hide in Plain Sight, Darkvision 60 ft, Superior Low-Light Vision, Cold Resistance 10
Saves: Fort +13, Ref +7, Will +9
Abilities: Str 24, Dex 13, Con 25, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 14
Skills: Climb +18, Jump +18, Hide +16, Intimidate +13, Listen +12, Move Silently +18, Spot +12, Swim +18
Feats: Multiattack, Weapon Focus: Bite, Improved Natural Attack (Bite)

Darkness emanates from an indistinct, vaguely humanoid shape. Its eyes glow like coals, and its oversized mouth is filled with massive teeth. A cold, dark mist coalesces around the creature, swirling as if some force were drawing it inside the body.

Souleaters feed on soul energy, devouring life in its purest form by consuming incarnum. These horrific creatures roam the Gray Wastes searching for living creatures to sate their unending appetites. Occasionally, a souleater slips through a planar gateway to spread death wherever it roams.

A souleater stands 10 feet tall and weighs nearly 1,000 pounds. It vaguely resembles a human, except for its glowing eyes and its huge, toothy maw.

Souleaters do not speak, but they do understand all spoken languages. In the rare cases when they attempt to communicate with others, they do so telepathically.

Combat
A souleater relishes being at the center of a combat because it can draw upon multiple life forces. It favors situations in which its prey is already engaged in battle with other living creatures, since each creature that dies adds to its power. The souleater targets lightly armored foes first so that it can accumulate more power before turning on the harder-to-hit foes.
Consume Soul (Su): A souleater automatically draws in the soul energy of all creatures that die within 30 feet of it. From each soul captured in this manner, it gains +10 hp and a +1 bonus on attack rolls and saving throws. These bonuses fade after a period of 10 minutes per character level of the creature that died. At the end of this period, the soul has been entirely consumed.
A creature whose soul has been trapped by a souleater cannot be raised from the dead until the souleater is slain. If the souleater manages to consume the soul entirely, the creature can be returned to life only by a miracle, true resurrection, or wish.

Soulless Aura (Su): A souleater emanates a misty aura of negative energy, which drains away the essence of nearby souls. Each living creature within 30 feet of a souleater gains a negative level, which persists as long as the souleater remains within that range. This negative level never results in actual level loss. A soul eater does not gain extra hit points from the negative levels that this aura bestows on other creatures, but it does gain a +2 insight bonus on attack rolls and damage rolls as long as at least one living creature (other than another souleater) is within this aura.
The soulless aura also makes the manipulation of incarnum more difficult. Any character within 30 feet of a souleater who attempts to shape a soulmeld, bind a soulmeld or magic item to a chakra, or invest or reallocate essentia must succeed on a DC 20 Concentration check to do so. Souleaters are immune to the soulless auras of other souleaters.

Telepathy (Su): A souleater can communicate telepathically with any creature within 100 Souleater feet that has a language.

Vulnerability to Turning (Ex): If a souleater is subjected to a turn undead attempt, it must succeed on a Fortitude saving throw (DC 10 + character’s effective turning level) or be dazed for 1 round.

Falontani
2018-12-14, 07:40 PM
I messed up on the formatting in above post; but it wont let me edit, its claiming too many characters