PDA

View Full Version : Muscle Wizard

Marywn
2018-12-14, 11:14 AM
I've seen many people in my discord talking about muscle wizard. What does this actually mean, can you really be a MUSCLE WIZARD in 5e? has anyone tried before?

N810
2018-12-14, 11:24 AM
Well, There is this approach. :elan:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?195049-Help-Me-Be-Annoying-with-a-Barbarian-Wizard

Vogie
2018-12-14, 11:31 AM
Can you really be a MUSCLE WIZARD in 5e?

Yes (http://mfov.magehandpress.com/2017/02/muscle-wizard.html) (Homebrew link)

The muscle wizard is a DnD version of Don Quixote - instead of an insane ex-noble who thinks they're a gallivant knight fighting giants, rather than a sad mentally ill caricature jousting at windmills, muscle wizard is a character who believes they're performing magic when they're just literally prancing around smashing face. The "magic missiles" are just darts they throw, bandages are considered healing spells, and can create a "force field" by hiding behind a literal shield or finding cover.

Highly expect them to say "Whoosh" while dashing across a field as they're clearly flying.

MilkmanDanimal
2018-12-14, 11:35 AM
Bro do you even levitate

Unoriginal
2018-12-14, 11:37 AM
A muscle wizard is a wizard with high STR, and who does things with that STR.

It's possible in 5e, yes.

Silkensword
2018-12-14, 11:44 AM
My take on the muscle wizard focuses on spells that don't need to-hit rolls or saving throws against your spellcasting DC so they can dump int, while putting most levels into a fighter class!

strangebloke
2018-12-14, 11:49 AM
Basically any high-strength build will cut it, but here's one I wrote up a while ago. It requires your DM to greenlight a UA (Stone Sorcerer) and to allow you to use fists with booming blade.

Here's my build:

Variant human Stone Sorcerer 6.
16/8/18/8/8/16
starting feat: tavern brawler
First ASI: +2 CON
AC: 17 (13+CON from Stone Sorcerer)
HP: 54 (1d6+4+1 per level)

Metamagic: Twin (use with Booming Blade, Catapult[DM may object to this], Earthen Grasp), and Quicken(Use to cast a spell and then dodge or disengage or to get an extra cantrip shot.)

Spells:
cantrips:
mold earth(duh)
thunderclap(refluff as him pulling off a sweeping punch)
Booming blade(technically not kosher with just fists, but your DM will let this slide. refluff it as a shocking punch.)
level 1:
Catapult(duh. Remember that if it misses the first guy, it can still hit the guy behind him)
Wrathful Smite(duh. Remember, you can cast this, and then use booming fist.)
Shield(create a wall of earth in front of you)
Level 2:
Enhance Ability (Tank, Beguile, and lift the moon)
Maxmillian's Earthen Grasp: (self explanatory. restrain target, punch him with booming first on the following turn.)
Level 3:
Erupting Earth (Just be sure not to piss off your ranged party members)
Melf's Minute Meteors (not really synergistic with anything, but very on-theme.)

There's also a case for taking Prodigy:Athletics, but I'll leave that up to you.

Basically, when casting leveled spells you're the artillery, and when you're in close, you're a respectable melee combatant even without spending resources.

For mobility, you have quicken, which lets you fire off a spell as a bonus action and then dodge or dash or disengage away. You also have Stone Aegis which lets you shield your friend and then teleport jump right next to him when he gets attacked and deck his enemy in the face. Don't be afraid to move your Aegis around purely for the mobility enhancement.

On a final note, be sparing with your spells and sorcery points. Twinning Booming Blade is very efficient. Quickening Erupting Earth and then running in and thunder-punching someone is fun, but very expensive. Don't fire off Melf's and then run into the middle of melee; that's a good way to lose a powerful spell, although with +7 to CON saves, you're a bit safer from that than most.