PDA

View Full Version : Animate Objects - How Awesome is it and what are its weaknesses?

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-12-14, 12:16 PM
Animate objects seems like a fun way to let copper pieces have their vengeance on those who dropped them.

How good a spell is it though? 10 D8+2 for the small objects seems like the best deal but they're all attack rolls.

Can Dispel Magic shut it down I assume?

What else can block it?

What size does an animated object need to be to be declared small or medium, large or huge? Are these the creature sizes in the book so a humaniod sized rock makes a medium creature?

What else do I need to know as or think about?

https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Animate%20Objects#content

Nhorianscum
2018-12-14, 12:22 PM
Tiny is our best damage.

Really big rocks make decent grappleshove mooks.

Big flaw is concentration, damage resistance not mitigated by silver or adamamajama, and low hp on small things.

It's probably the defining single target damage spell though.

Guy Lombard-O
2018-12-14, 12:22 PM
Animate objects seems like a fun way to let copper pieces have their vengeance on those who dropped them.

How good a spell is it though? 10 D8+2 for the small objects seems like the best deal but they're all attack rolls.

Can Dispel Magic shut it down I assume?

What else can block it?

What size does an animated object need to be to be declared small or medium, large or huge? Are these the creature sizes in the book so a humaniod sized rock makes a medium creature?

What else do I need to know as or think about?

https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Animate%20Objects#content

It's super awesome.

Tiny objects seem best. +8 to hit instead of +6, do the same damage on average.

Dispel Magic can work, but of course DM is base 3rd level spell, AO is base 5th.

Wall spells can block it, probably lots of other stuff.

Sizes are standard to creature sizes.

Think about non-combat uses, like making doors open themselves, obstacles helping instead of hindering you, whether your object can grapple an enemy.

dejarnjc
2018-12-14, 12:28 PM
Awesome spell but here are some caveats. If I'm wrong on any of these points please correct me.

Mean DMS might rule it takes an action to scatter tiny objects on to the ground to use, otherwise your resources depend on the environment.
Although the spell doesn't say so, it implies that the animated objects operate on their own turn, not yours.
Bonus action to command the creatures on their NEXT turn.
They require pretty consistent commands although you may be able to get by by just commanding "Attack all my enemies" if your DM is VERY lenient. I'd require something more specific though.
Susceptible to AoE like hypnotic pattern - this is a minimal concern though IMO.
Non-magical damage - minimal concern though too
I believe dispel magic does "counter" it but the enemy still has to use an action and a 5th level spell or higher (or roll for it) to do so.

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-12-14, 01:17 PM
Awesome spell but here are some caveats. If I'm wrong on any of these points please correct me.

Mean DMS might rule it takes an action to scatter tiny objects on to the ground to use, otherwise your resources depend on the environment.
Although the spell doesn't say so, it implies that the animated objects operate on their own turn, not yours.
Bonus action to command the creatures on their NEXT turn.
They require pretty consistent commands although you may be able to get by by just commanding "Attack all my enemies" if your DM is VERY lenient. I'd require something more specific though.
Susceptible to AoE like hypnotic pattern - this is a minimal concern though IMO.
Non-magical damage - minimal concern though too
I believe dispel magic does "counter" it but the enemy still has to use an action and a 5th level spell or higher (or roll for it) to do so.

Non magical damage, good point. So its more likely to be useful as a damage spell against a non magical bad guy.

Wildarm
2018-12-14, 03:24 PM
Little silver marbles is what I always try to use with casting Animate Objects. Usually flavoring them to float in the air and turning into tiny sharp toothed silver PAC-MEN. Good damage and will bypass some damage resistances being made of silver(If DM approves). Also nice if you can get a someone to cast Crusader's mantle. Potentially 20d4 + 40 damage as a bonus action + concentration is fantastic.

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-12-14, 03:41 PM
Little silver marbles is what I always try to use with casting Animate Objects. Usually flavoring them to float in the air and turning into tiny sharp toothed silver PAC-MEN. Good damage and will bypass some damage resistances being made of silver(If DM approves). Also nice if you can get a someone to cast Crusader's mantle. Potentially 20d4 + 40 damage as a bonus action + concentration is fantastic.

Crusader's mantle has the words creatures and weapons in it. Would that negate it stacking with the constructs Animate Objects creates?

I love where you are going though and hadn't thought about buffing the objects!

Silver marbles or even silver coins are a must it seems!

Wildarm
2018-12-14, 04:08 PM
Crusader's mantle has the words creatures and weapons in it. Would that negate it stacking with the constructs Animate Objects creates?

I love where you are going though and hadn't thought about buffing the objects!

Silver marbles or even silver coins are a must it seems!

Yes, the animated objects are considered creatures. From spell description:

"As a Bonus Action, you can mentally Command any creature you made with this spell "

Crusader's mantle or any other buff spell that can target an ally should work fine AFAIK.

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-12-14, 07:02 PM
Yes, the animated objects are considered creatures. From spell description:

"As a Bonus Action, you can mentally Command any creature you made with this spell "

Crusader's mantle or any other buff spell that can target an ally should work fine AFAIK.

Well shucks. Any chance on the weapon attack part ruining this? I'm imagining a Bard and a Cleric getting together to destroy some T-Rex's if not!

ImproperJustice
2018-12-14, 07:09 PM
Since they’re creatures, they occupy space and can be spread out to limit enemy movement.

In a recent encounter, my Forge Cleric used them to keep a group of foes from retreating and another set from flanking us.
At the very least, they had to eat multiple reaction attacks.

Tanarii
2018-12-14, 07:33 PM
Since they’re creatures, they occupy space and can be spread out to limit enemy movement.
Only if they're within one size. Otherwise you can move through them as difficult terrain.

ImproperJustice
2018-12-14, 10:53 PM
Only if they're within one size. Otherwise you can move through them as difficult terrain.

Definitely something to keep in mind, and to give greater value to larger sized constructs.

Tanarii
2018-12-14, 10:56 PM
Definitely something to keep in mind, and to give greater value to larger sized constructs.
They do still provoke an OA if you leave their reach afterwards though.

Dalebert
2018-12-15, 02:17 PM
My wild mage sorc animates a bunch of silver coins but also a few tiny dolls he got from Barovia. He keeps the dolls on hand and commands them to follow specific PCs and administer healing potions. A bonus: animated dolls are suuuper creepy.

Yes, susceptible to AoEs, but not Hypnotic Pattern since a creature has to see the pattern and animated objects only have blindsight.

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-12-15, 08:37 PM
My wild mage sorc animates a bunch of silver coins but also a few tiny dolls he got from Barovia. He keeps the dolls on hand and commands them to follow specific PCs and administer healing potions. A bonus: animated dolls are suuuper creepy.

Yes, susceptible to AoEs, but not Hypnotic Pattern since a creature has to see the pattern and animated objects only have blindsight.

Animated dolls are super creepy! Wonder what the "worst" coolest would be...animated dolls w/o legs might get a fly speed...animated clown masks....