PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Paladin/Blade Bard - Magic Secrets and Level Breaks Help

wikkedj
2018-12-14, 12:52 PM
I'm playing an AL legal Palibard that is level 12 right now - Paladin 2/Bard 10. First two levels were paladin to get to smite, then ten in bard to get magic secrets. The group that this character plays with for the most part consists of a Wizard, Sorcerer and Scout Rogue...so I'm the only melee fighter in the group and focused mainly on tanking. For purely NOT optimal reasons, first spell from magic secrets was find greater steed. Second spell right now, I'm thinking Mirror Image? For a little concentration free extra defense on the front line it seemed like a decent deal, since I do tend to bless with my concentration spot.

I also haven't made a firm commitment to level breaks...at a glance 8 paladin 12 bard maximizes my ASIs.

If it matters, I haven't decided on my oath at this point either...vengeance fits the character for RP purposes, but ancient's level 7 ability looks really useful.

Anything I missed feel free to ask, thanks in advance.

Snowbluff
2018-12-14, 04:59 PM
I'm partial to Spirit Guardians for a spells. It's a lot of damage per slot.

Also haste is good because you can share it with your mount.

I wouldn't sweat losing ASI too much. If it's just a dip, and you're only short one ASI over your build, it's not a big deal.

Paladin 6 is a good break point, but you've already gotten extra attack. Really you'd be trading spell ability for better defenses.

Guy Lombard-O
2018-12-14, 08:37 PM
I'm playing an AL legal Palibard that is level 12 right now - Paladin 2/Bard 10. First two levels were paladin to get to smite, then ten in bard to get magic secrets. The group that this character plays with for the most part consists of a Wizard, Sorcerer and Scout Rogue...so I'm the only melee fighter in the group and focused mainly on tanking. For purely NOT optimal reasons, first spell from magic secrets was find greater steed. Second spell right now, I'm thinking Mirror Image? For a little concentration free extra defense on the front line it seemed like a decent deal, since I do tend to bless with my concentration spot.

I also haven't made a firm commitment to level breaks...at a glance 8 paladin 12 bard maximizes my ASIs.

If it matters, I haven't decided on my oath at this point either...vengeance fits the character for RP purposes, but ancient's level 7 ability looks really useful.

One thought for a concentration-free tanking buff might be Fire Shield.

wikkedj
2018-12-15, 08:57 AM
I'm partial to Spirit Guardians for a spells. It's a lot of damage per slot.

Also haste is good because you can share it with your mount.

I wouldn't sweat losing ASI too much. If it's just a dip, and you're only short one ASI over your build, it's not a big deal.

Paladin 6 is a good break point, but you've already gotten extra attack. Really you'd be trading spell ability for better defenses.

I did strongly consider Spirit Guardians, and I haven't ruled it out yet. If we had another class that could throw out bless I'd take it without a second thought.

Six was the original break point I had in mind to get aura and maximize spell power, and get an additional magic secrets from bard 14. Maybe I'll stick to that...

PeteNutButter
2018-12-15, 12:15 PM

What are your stats? Magic items?

Paladin 6 is certainly amazing and worth going for, but is even more obscene if you decided to max cha over strength/dex, though it comes behind a somewhat painful paladin 5 (doubling on extra attack, but getting level 2 pally spells).

Even that is 4 levels away. It's tough to reach level 20 in AL, as there isn't a lot of tier 4 content/players. Unless you're really committed, you might want to look at sooner benefits.

If vengeance is on the table what about conquest paladin? It gets you Armor of Agathys which you can up-cast and share with your greater steed. It has a great level 3 CD and a level 7 feature that is strong if you get that far. You can pick up the fear spell from bard.

Snowbluff
2018-12-15, 07:11 PM
I did strongly consider Spirit Guardians, and I haven't ruled it out yet. If we had another class that could throw out bless I'd take it without a second thought.

Six was the original break point I had in mind to get aura and maximize spell power, and get an additional magic secrets from bard 14. Maybe I'll stick to that...

If you like BLess you should Check out Circle of Power, which can be hand versus casters.

Also, force one of your other players to dip paladin or cleric to use bless. That way you can use stronger spells. :smalltongue:

Personally I'd go w/ whispers if you were planing on 6 paladin, but that's just me. With that in mind Shield is still a good spell at many levels.