PDA

View Full Version : You are a first Level Noble. What game breaking magic will

Cyclops08
2018-12-14, 12:58 PM
your family give you to set you on your way.
~~ obviously no DM in his right mind would allow this, but run with me here.~~

Your rich. Your family is influential. Obviously they are concerned that you are about to head out with scruffy looking adventurers...not to mention nerf herders.

So what would your family do to tilt the odds in your favor?

I have young Vos Stormwind a noble in Waterdeep. The Stormwinds are a (variant human) strong arcane using family. They have the bloodline of a gold dragon that manifests in the boys of the family. Every generation produces a sorcerer with golden blond hair and brilliant blue eyes.

Vos was recognized and received excellent schooling. He chose to specialize as an Elemental Adept in Fire. To compliment this the family arranged for a ring of Fire Elemental Control made. They attuned it you young Vos and summoned a weak elemental which Vos killed, fully activating the ring. The ring also serves as his signet ring.

------------Now you don't have to spin a tale like me, but what DM heart attack inducing magic will your noble family grant your first level adventurer?

Man_Over_Game
2018-12-14, 01:06 PM
A bracelet that leads to your mansion. Each member of the family has one, and each one brings them to their family's mansion. It turns out that their "mansion" is actually just a sustained version of Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion that is available to be accessed by any of the specified bracelets. They use it as a safehouse and they interchange access doors to use it as a unified teleportation system.

Once a grand lineage of Mordenkainen himself, now reduced to smugglers and politicians.

MThurston
2018-12-14, 01:14 PM
+3 armor, +3 shield and +3 Weapon +3 Ring of protection

Trained warhorse.

A few man at arms.

Slayn82
2018-12-14, 01:22 PM
A toxic oil alchemic formula, that works as usual oil, but also causes those hit by the oil to take poison damage, and extra poison damage to people who inhale the fumes from the oil (Con save to negate).

Laserlight
2018-12-14, 01:31 PM
Winged Boots give you four hours of flight per day and are merely uncommon. My cousin has them. My family is richer and powerfuler than hers and you know what I got from my family? Gleaming Armor, that's what, and a retainer who argues with me. Harumph.

Unoriginal
2018-12-14, 01:51 PM
your family give you to set you on your way.
~~ obviously no DM in his right mind would allow this, but run with me here.~~

Your rich. Your family is influential. Obviously they are concerned that you are about to head out with scruffy looking adventurers...not to mention nerf herders.

So what would your family do to tilt the odds in your favor?

I have young Vos Stormwind a noble in Waterdeep. The Stormwinds are a (variant human) strong arcane using family. They have the bloodline of a gold dragon that manifests in the boys of the family. Every generation produces a sorcerer with golden blond hair and brilliant blue eyes.

Vos was recognized and received excellent schooling. He chose to specialize as an Elemental Adept in Fire. To compliment this the family arranged for a ring of Fire Elemental Control made. They attuned it you young Vos and summoned a weak elemental which Vos killed, fully activating the ring. The ring also serves as his signet ring.

Well, that's another way to have a Stormwind fallacy.

A Ring of Fire Elemental Command is a Legendary magic item. Its formula cannot be found.

Even if it COULD be found, that Ring would cost 100000 gp to craft. To *craft* alone. And it requires the involvement of a CR 19+ monster or adventure.

Waterdeep: Dragon Heist makes clear that even the richest families of Waterdeep would be utterly bankrupt or near if they lost 100000 gp. The epic treasure everyone is after in Dragon Heist is 50000gp.

So, sorry, but no, your Vos isn't going to have a 100000+ gp signet ring even without DM intervention.

Every generation produces a sorcerer with golden blond hair and brilliant blue eyes.

what DM heart attack inducing magic will your noble family grant your first level adventurer?

Literally nothing.

Man_Over_Game
2018-12-14, 01:57 PM
Well, that's another way to have a Stormwind fallacy.

A Ring of Fire Elemental Command is a Legendary magic item. Its formula cannot be found.

Even if it COULD be found, that Ring would cost 100000 gp to craft. To *craft* alone. And it requires the involvement of a CR 19+ monster or adventure.

Waterdeep: Dragon Heist makes clear that even the richest families of Waterdeep would be utterly bankrupt or near if they lost 100000 gp. The epic treasure everyone is after in Dragon Heist is 50000gp.

So, sorry, but no, your Vos isn't going to have a 100000+ gp signet ring even without DM intervention.

Literally nothing.

The formula is interesting, but...honestly, what is your post supposed to provide to the thread?

"Stop wasting your time posting on a public forum"?

Unoriginal
2018-12-14, 02:17 PM
The formula is interesting, but...honestly, what is your post supposed to provide to the thread?

"Stop wasting your time posting on a public forum"?

OP presented something, claiming it was possible for it to happen, but "no DM in his right mind would allow this". I've demonstrated why this claim was not true, as it wasn't not possible even without DM's veto.

"Having a legendary magic item at lvl 1 is OP" is kind of stating the obvious. If you find it funny to think about it, don't let me stop you. But if I made a thread about "my lvl 1 character being the Open Lord of Waterdeep is OP", I wouldn't be surprised that people would point out the impossibility of it.

Cyclops08
2018-12-14, 02:28 PM

Every party needs a pooper that's why we invited you.
seriously. This thread is not supposed to make sense.

MaxWilson
2018-12-14, 02:31 PM
------------Now you don't have to spin a tale like me, but what DM heart attack inducing magic will your noble family grant your first level adventurer?

Decanter of Endless Water, naturally.

I don't like things that are combat-relevant or that encourage you to become dependent on them, but I do like things that reward creativity and have lots of random fun uses, so the Decanter it is.

If I were going for something to keep me alive I'd have to go for a Horn of Valhalla instead. As a DM I've seen that item save the PCs' bacon soooo many times. It makes a great panic button.

These two problems solve each other.

Forget about Waterdeep: Dragon Heist. Just look at the treasure tables in the DMG. A CR 19+ monster is routinely going to have a hoard worth hundreds of thousands of gold pieces. Per DMG guidance, monsters that are unusually likely to accumulate treasure may have multiple rolls on that treasure table. At the high end for two or three rolls, a single Adult Red Dragon could very well have a hoard worth half a million gold pieces.

So a noble family that can blow 10,000 gp on Planar Binding enough air elementals to take out an Adult Red Dragon and steal its horde could then make that legendary Ring of Fire Resistance, if they had a formula. (And clearly a formula of some kind does exist or there wouldn't be any rings at all, or any rules for constructing Legendary items.)

Man_Over_Game
2018-12-14, 02:35 PM
Decanter of Endless Water, naturally.

That was one of my original thoughts, but I just wasn't sure how useful it'd actually be.

Lonely Tylenol
2018-12-14, 02:41 PM
A bracelet that leads to your mansion. Each member of the family has one, and each one brings them to their family's mansion. It turns out that their "mansion" is actually just a sustained version of Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion that is available to be accessed by any of the specified bracelets. They use it as a safehouse and they interchange access doors to use it as a unified teleportation system.

This is the correct answer.

If you want a much less broken, but still thematically appropriate for the spoiled noble who’s waited on hand and foot: an amulet with the bound soul of a dead servant (from a family line of servants, probably), which can have any of the following effects (maybe scaled by level) as the soul is called on to continue to serve its master’s descendants:

- Mage Hand at-will
- A permanent Unseen Servant, which doesn’t require concentration
- Can cast Tiny Servants (can’t recall if that’s the name and am AFB, but the spell from Xanathar’s) a number of times from the amulet
- Can cast Animate Objects a smaller number of times from the amulet

The first two are represented by the spirit, as a bound ghost, assisting in its own incorporeal form; the last two are represented by the spirit possessing or inhabiting other objects to assist you. Probably, what I’d do is that, when the last two abilities (either/or/and, depending on what the amulet has) are in use, the unseen servant “disappears” as it possesses the objects.

MaxWilson
2018-12-14, 02:44 PM
That was one of my original thoughts, but I just wasn't sure how useful it'd actually be.

Useful, who knows? Fun, yes! Unlimited anything is always good. I'm sure I'd spent a lot of table time watering flowers, creating muddy holes in front of the houses of people who annoy me, and sneaking up on alley cats to blast them with my virtual fire hose. (Edit: maybe not the latter. I just double-checked and in 5E the fire hose does 1d4 damage. I wouldn't want to hurt the cats, just annoy them.)

As I mentioned in an edit above, I don't like magic items that encourage dependency. I would have fun with a Decanter of Endless Water for as long as I had it, but if it got destroyed or stolen or something, I could shrug off the loss--it's not like building a PC around an Oathbow or Ring of Elemental Air Command or something that would be devastating to lose. For me the Decanter of Endless Water is a perfect starter item.

But a Horn of Valhalla would definitely be more useful from a survival perspective, and if I were roleplaying the parents instead of the child it is the one I would urge the scion to choose.

Wildarm
2018-12-14, 02:46 PM
Character is one of the daughters of the House of Valkyries - Ancient warrior family that lives in a floating castle in the sky

Head Matriarch of the house owns a Ring of Spell Storing and is a Paladin able to cast Find Greater Steed

As a coming of age ceremony every female of the family gets to attune to the ring and cast the spell to summon a loyal Pegasus. Each member of the family also receives a ring of feather fall of course. :)

The family can field a formidable flying force if needed. Just don't lose your flying pony. Grandma gets very upset if she has to replace it.

Guy Lombard-O
2018-12-14, 02:52 PM
This is the correct answer.

If you want a much less broken, but still thematically appropriate for the spoiled noble who’s waited on hand and foot: an amulet with the bound soul of a dead servant (from a family line of servants, probably), which can have any of the following effects (maybe scaled by level) as the soul is called on to continue to serve its master’s descendants:

- Mage Hand at-will
- A permanent Unseen Servant, which doesn’t require concentration
- Can cast Tiny Servants (can’t recall if that’s the name and am AFB, but the spell from Xanathar’s) a number of times from the amulet
- Can cast Animate Objects a smaller number of times from the amulet

The first two are represented by the spirit, as a bound ghost, assisting in its own incorporeal form; the last two are represented by the spirit possessing or inhabiting other objects to assist you. Probably, what I’d do is that, when the last two abilities (either/or/and, depending on what the amulet has) are in use, the unseen servant “disappears” as it possesses the objects.

Awesome!

My waterdavian spoiled fop of a noble got a Cloak of Many Fashions. And he was dang happy to get it!

Seriously, though, I considered trying to get my rich-noble family to led me the money for a suit of half-plate (high Cha character, might possibly pull it off). But for balance reasons I decided to skip it.

Mellack
2018-12-14, 03:07 PM
Who needs an item? Send Grandpa with him to keep an eye. He should probably level at least in the mid-teens by then. He can keep him safe with various protective spells as they are fighting, give them a safe and comfortable rest location, and advice when they need it.

Clistenes
2018-12-14, 03:36 PM
+3 armor, +3 shield and +3 Weapon +3 Ring of protection

Trained warhorse.

A few man at arms.

Rare or even Very Rare items, I can accept, but Legendary Items? Isn't that going too far?

I would go with armor +3 (Very Rare), shield +2 (Rare), weapon +2 (Rare) and Ring of Protection (Rare), tops, unless they are like, a super-rich Arch-Ducal family, in which case shield +3 and weapon +3 may be possible too...

But really, what are the rest of the players going to receive as compensation? And how would the DM balance the encounters?

Bloodcloud
2018-12-14, 03:43 PM
The Disney princess diadem.

Conjure animals at-will. But they are all hopelessly cute.

LordEntrails
2018-12-14, 03:55 PM
Daern's Fortress or a Tiny Hut magical item. That way you know your child will be able to sleep safe every night and even have an unseen servant to make tea and turn down their bed.

Cyclops08
2018-12-14, 04:16 PM
But really, what are the rest of the players going to receive as compensation? And how would the DM balance the encounters?
The other players get...nothing. The DM doesn't balance the encounters. Legendary stuff is just fine.

~~This is just a silly exercise.~~ Stop looking for sense and have fun.

Aaron Underhand
2018-12-14, 08:18 PM
Weapon of warning
.. the dms nightmare

JackPhoenix
2018-12-14, 09:37 PM
Snip

You seem to have a bit of a problem with zeroes. The treasure in W:DH is 500k gp, and the [redacted] has to pay 1m gp to get out of [redacted].

Vorpalchicken
2018-12-14, 10:30 PM
A potion of poison. He likes his other son better.

ProsecutorGodot
2018-12-14, 10:50 PM
I've actually got a Waterdhavian Noble sitting in the background in case my current dungeon of the mad mage character dies.

He's a Paladin, so (if this were at all possible) his family would likely have invested in finding a powerful weapon that would later have the potential to become a Holy Avenger once his god acknowledges his accomplishments. Probably a Sunsword (realistically) or a Luckblade if the family fortune is worth throwing away.

I'd hate to even suggest starting with an actual Holy Avenger, seems like the kind of weapon that is earned rather than found.

Unoriginal
2018-12-15, 10:50 AM
You seem to have a bit of a problem with zeroes. The treasure in W:DH is 500k gp, and the [redacted] has to pay 1m gp to get out of [redacted].

Oh, damn, it seems I've misread the Xanathar's cost for the magic item and repeated the mistake in this thread.

I apologize, OP. Should have double-checked.