PDA

View Full Version : Magic item use

Stygofthedump
2018-12-14, 02:50 PM
I’m sure this is answered but my Google fu is weak. We have found a wand of fear at LV 3. (Pretty mighty) It is given to our sorcerer to use. Unfortunately no metamagic he has is useful here, it’s not a ‘cast spell’ item and subtle and twin are not eligible.
This got me thinking, can anyone use it? It just says attunement. I thought for some reason the user needed the spell on their list?
Would the thief rogue be a better option with fast hands?

Clone
2018-12-14, 03:04 PM
Some wands allow anyone to use them, such as Wand of Magic Missiles, when they only say require attunement like you noticed.
There are many wands and staves which specifically require you to be a Cleric, Druid, Wizard etc usually divided into Arcane spellcasters (Warlock, Wizard, Sorcerer) and Divine (Cleric, Bard, Druid).

You're correct in what you assumed so the wand is usable by anyone, even the Barbarian!
Possibly the Thief could use it better, but thats more of a party conversation. If anything someone else can get it when the Sorcerer gets an even better wand!

Stygofthedump
2018-12-14, 03:14 PM
Yea, I think I’m mixing wand use up with spell scrolls.

Dalebert
2018-12-15, 10:44 PM
In the DMG in the section explaining magic item use, it specifically says you can't activate a magic item with fast hands. It's a special action that doesn't fall under "use an object".