PDA

View Full Version : Seeking advice for a hexblade/trickery multiclass

Apanthro
2018-12-14, 06:33 PM
Hey everyone, first post on giantitp. I've been lurking here for a while and have learned quite a bit. Part of this lurking included reading pretty much every post written about the trickery domain, the cleric's red headed step child. Despite my qualms regarding the archetype's effectiveness in combat I have a character stuck in my head that I absolutely have to roleplay.

I'm planning a character for dragon heist. Basically I want my kenku to be the master of mindf*ck and social intrigue. I figure at level 1 with kenku mimicry and disguise self I can follow a target around, listen to their voice for a few hours and then go physically impersonate them while saying a few phrases in their voice, such as "hey c'mere a sec!", cue ambush. Actor would do the same thing but I like the flavor and challenge that comes with having select phrases and having to stalk the person before you impersonate them. But that's only the start: With invoke duplicity I can disguise self, make an illusion clone, and then have any famous politician run naked down main street (or pin a murder on anybody thanks to touch spells).

Then if I go warlock pact of the tome, either goo or hexblade:

At-will disguise self (mask of many faces)
At-will silent image (misty visions)
Friends, minor illusion, mage hand (pact of the tome)

This seems like it could make for some fun shenanigans, especially if I can combine silent image (visual) and minor illusion (sound).

The build doesn't truly bloom until level 3 or 4, as that's when I'm able to cast use invocations along with invoke duplicity, so I'm unsure of whether to start with hexblade or cleric as well. I'd like to mostly focus on support but have the potential to be gish-like, attacking with advantage thanks to invoke duplicity while also being able to kite with eldritch blast.

I'd like to know whether or not anybody has experience with a MAD multiclass like trickery/hexblade, what other spells I should look at for greater social control, and what an ideal level split between the two classes would be. Right now I'm leaning towards 2 cleric/3 warlock/x cleric. This is just so I can do clericy things at the start, like keep the party alive at level 1, but the campaign will go past level 5 most likely (just in time for pact of the tome!).

Currently my point buy is (kenku racial included)...
Str 8
Dex 10
Con 14
Int 8
Wis 16
Cha 15

Biggstick
2018-12-15, 01:45 AM
Personally, I love the flavor of Trickery Cleric. Unfortunately, trying to combine it with Warlock is a tough sell, especially in Dragon Heist.

It feels like you're trying to do too much with the features. This is evidenced by your stat spread. You want to be good at both Cleric things and Warlock things. To me, this says you haven't really decided on a thing between the two, and are simply trying to mash them together.

If your focus is on Trickery Cleric, drop your Charisma down to the minimum necessary for multiclassing (13) and put the points into Dexterity so that it's equal to 14 (so you can wear Breastplate and a Shield for 18 AC).

If your focus is on Warlock, do the oppositie.

Personally, I would choose one class and just go for it. From what you've described, it sounds like unlimited Disguise Self and Silent Image would be more in line with what you want the character to be able to do. This would be available to you at character level 2 if you went single class Warlock. If you want to have always had this magic ability to "Disguise Self" or what-not, just RP that you have in the past cast those spells. It's meta knowledge really for folks to "know" that you couldn't do those things, and nothing really says you can't RP like you've always been able to do those things.

Going this route allows you to focus on what the character is good at without spreading yourself thin. It cleans up the character concept quite neatly.

If you decide that you'd prefer the Invoke Duplicity feature from Trickery Cleric, I'd suggest going single-classed Cleric. Personally, the only dip I'd consider on a Trickery Cleric is either Fighter or Rogue. Fighter for martial weapon proficiencies (and Defense Fighting Style), Rogue for Expertise and Cunning Action. Cunning Action in particular really fills out your Bonus Action economy on top of Duplicity manipulation, Healing Word, Sanctuary, Shield of Faith, etc. Otherwise though, staying single class Trickery Cleric will get you access to one of the best Cleric spell lists available at the rate that you should be gaining access to it.

Given the choice, I'd personally go single classed Trickery Cleric. But it sounds like to me that single class Warlock with the Disguise Self/Silent Image Invocations will be the best fit for your concept.