PDA

View Full Version : Original System So I'm trying my hand at hacking Dungeon World...

Chimera245
2018-12-14, 06:55 PM
Core Concept: I want to make a game that allows players to change classes on a whim like in games such as Final Fantasy Tactics, etc.

"But that sounds like a bunch of messy and tedious paperwork for the players during play. It'll never work."

Originally, I had planned this to be played on a VTT. I reasoned that as long as I playtested and debugged my macros properly, then a character's attack rolls, or current hit points could be determined by calculus differentials in 4-dimensional hyperbolic space for all the difference it would make to the players. It wouldn't matter how much or how often the PCs stats change with a new class as long as it all happens with the click of a button.

But as I read through Dungeon World, Simple World, and other PbtA systems, I realized that my idea might actually be much easier to achieve in the traditional pen-and-paper play style than I originally thought, and wouldn't actually require a computer doing math for you at all.

My major goal is to get this up and running as something my group of friends can run and play. Polishing it up into something I can confidently publish is a much lower priority. (But if it comes to that, then yay, bonus points. Even then, though, I don't see it being anything more than a PDF posted somewhere on the internet that basically says "Use Dungeon World's rules, but make these changes".)

To that end, I intend to rip straight out of DW whenever possible. I like DW's interpretation of the PbtA system, and how it is basically "the D&D flavor without the D&D crunch". Kinda like Trix Yogurt.

"But classes are what a character learned and trained in throughout their lives up until the game starts. What gives the characters the ability to re-write their capabilities so casually and often? It doesn't make narrative sense. It'll never work."

As of the moment, I'm not putting too much thought into WHY the characters are able to shift between classes nigh-instantaneously. In Final Fantasy 3 and 5, you are granted this power by The Crystals, because you are The Chosen Ones. In Wild Arms Crossfire, you can change classes because of some gizmo that has been invented in this setting that adventurers commonly use. In Final Fantasy Tactics, everyone can do it, and no one questions it, or calls attention to it, and everyone shuts up and gets on with the medieval drama.

The way I see it, if everyone's cool just accepting it's a thing, then everyone just accepts it's a thing, and if not, then the first session involves an adventure to the Ancient Temple of Plot Device.

The first change I decided to make was to the Stats. I wanted something far more abstract than the standard Str, Dex, Con, etc. I don't see characters bodies physically changing with their class, just their general combat capabilities, so I wanted to push actual physical features back into the realm of flavor and fluff.

As a Fighter, one character might attack with raw physical strength, while another attacks with deft footwork and opportunistic strikes, and yet another might attack with knowledge of weak areas and pressure points from an intimate study of anatomy. Yet all characters would be rolling the same roll, and just giving different descriptions.

Right now, the stats are: (names are work-in-progress)
*Physical Attack Power- Your ability to effectively make violence happen to your target. It's the stat for swords, fists, axes, boxing-glove-on-a-spring-launchers, any sort of tool for murderous physical pain.
*Magic Power- Your ability to make magical stuff happen effectively. It's the stat that a wizard uses, regardless whether his magic is powered by intelligence, charisma, chakra, or the Power of Friendship.
*Initiative? Reaction? (I want it more abstract than "Speed" or "Dexterity")- It's the dodgy, dextrous, reactive, nimble, get-out-of-the-way, successfully-act-on-this-short-lived-opportunity stat. I'm still working on the exact nature.
*Tactics- Your ability to plan ahead, do complex things in combat, and generally make the battlefield move the way you want it to. Whether you plan meticulously, affect people with raw charisma, use one of those annoying "combat maneuver" weapons to trip, disarm, or grapple, or just want to tie someone's shoelaces together without them noticing, you roll Tactics.
*Adaptability- Your ability to make do with whatever's there. Finding a suitable improvised weapon, surviving in the woods when you run out of food, and generally finding ways out of the traps someone got you into by rolling Tactics against you. Someone trying to trip you with their whip? Use Adaptability to step on the end of it, then pull it out of their hands. Someone tie your shoelaces together? Use Adaptability to stay on your feet, then deliver a leaping double-foot kick to their nuts.

Physical stats would just be description and fluff. For example, if your character had high strength, you could swing a sword, and use your strength to make an Attack Power roll.
If you were a firebender, you could use your strength to make a Magic Power roll.
If you get in a quick sucker-punch in a bar fight, you use your strength to make a fast-reacty-stat-that-needs-a-better-name roll.
If you lift an opponent up and toss him at another opponent, you use your strength to make a Tactics roll.
If you knock over a big heavy table to give yourself cover, you use your strength to make an Adaptability roll.

Your stats change with your class. For example, when changing from a fighter to a barbarian, your Attack Power would go up, but your Tactics would go down.

I know it needs some work, like there's some conceptual gray-area between Adaptability and Initiative/Reaction that needs to be more clearly defined.

I saw different weapons using different stats, like a sword using Attack Power, and a staff using Magic Power. Things like whips, ballistas, etc. might use Tactics.

Mechanically, most of your character's data comes from your current class, with a few things tied to your actual character itself. Your current class gives you your stats, max HP, damage die, proficient weapons and armor, and moves-you-get-for-free-while-you-are-this-class.
Your character has its own class-independent alignment, level, and number of ability slots.

You gain XP (experience points) to raise your character level, and you gain AP (ability points) to learn skills from your class.

You have a number of ability slots equal to your level, and you use them for abilities you've learned from other classes that aren't your current class.

Let's say Jim-Bob Magoo starts out his adventuring career as a wizard. He goes out and kills rats, because the tavern in his town has sucky quests, and earns AP for the wizard class. He decides wizards are too fragile and easy to beat up, so he changes to a fighter. While he was a wizard, he spent some AP to learn some magic, obviously, and as a fighter, he puts "wizard magic" in his ability slot. Now he's a fighter that can cast wizard spells. But since his Magic Power is low as a fighter, they're not very good. He goes on more inane starter-town fetch-quests, and earns AP as a fighter. He spends it the fighter's armor proficiency, then switches back to wizard. Since wizards get magic for free, (it's kinda what they do), he gets it just for being a wizard again, freeing up his ability slot, and now he uses it for wearing armor like a fighter. So he's an armored wizard now, and is less crunchy, but can cast spells more effectively again. Then he earns enough XP to reach level 2, and has a second ability slot. He decides to change to thief and puts wizard magic and armor proficiency in the two slots.

In actual physical tabletop play, I saw a character sheet consisting of a piece of paper, an index card, and a number of sticky notes. The index card is your current class, and you have an index card for each class you have access to. You put the current one on top of your character sheet, and it shows your stats, and built-in moves. Then you put sticky notes with your other moves onto your character sheet in your ability slots. You'd probably also have sticky notes for equipment since that may change a lot too. Maybe a notecard each for spells learned in a particular type of magic.

The Basic and Special Moves, would largely remain the same, except for adjusting to the new stats. There would also need to be a new Special Move for changing classes and abilities, but it would pretty much be what it says on the tin.

DM moves, Monsters, Fronts/Dangers, etc. shouldn't need to be touched.

The meat of this is going to be designing the classes, and their moves, and deciding how much AP everything costs.

I've been working on this in my head for a while now, but I'm sure there are some big, obvious things I need to flesh out. Thus I created this topic in order to get some outside opinions on the whole thing.

Give me your advice and criticism so that I can feel bad about how much everyone hates my system and become a scarred, and socially-awkward recluse.

Cluedrew
2018-12-16, 09:03 PM
Core Concept: I want to make a game that allows players to change classes on a whim like in games such as Final Fantasy Tactics, etc.
[...]
Give me your advice and criticism so that I can feel bad about how much everyone hates my system and become a scarred, and socially-awkward recluse.Well it sounds like a good way to approach changing classes. Seems like a horrible way of approaching a Powered by the Apocalypse system. Really Powered by the Apocalypse is geared towards different personalities of character, the fact that these characters solve problems different ways comes as a kind of fallout from that. (OK, maybe not in terms of actual design, but in terms of how they come across to me.) Dungeon World seems to of lost some of that (except in alignment) and this might from that even more. Of course if Dungeon World clicks with you really well, maybe that isn't a concern.

But I do still have two tips:
Work out what classes and abilities actually represent in world. Video games can get away with these abstract mechanics, but in these narration games you kind of have to be able to answer what is actually going on. What happens if you are attacked half way through a class change?
Consider porting some of these ideas to a different system. Preferably something also rules-light, but more abilities based. For some reason Fudge popped into my head, but I'll admit to not being an expert there.

I'm expecting this isn't quite what you were looking for, but I hope it helps.

Zhorn
2018-12-17, 09:38 AM
I like it. Clearly there's still fine tuning, but it sounds interesting.

Video games can get away with these abstract mechanics, but in these narration games you kind of have to be able to answer what is actually going on. What happens if you are attacked half way through a class change?
That never happens, we all know the enemies will wait patiently while the main characters undergo their magic girl and henshin hero transformation sequences.

The way I see it, if everyone's cool just accepting it's a thing, then everyone just accepts it's a thing, and if not, then the first session involves an adventure to the Ancient Temple of Plot Device
I like the way your grey matter work:smallbiggrin:

Chimera245
2018-12-18, 09:06 PM
Well it sounds like a good way to approach changing classes. Seems like a horrible way of approaching a Powered by the Apocalypse system. [...]

I actually was wanting to put more mechanically on the actual character, I just wasn't sure how without making different characters inherently more or less effective at certain classes. There's alignment, maybe choice of worshipped god? That would lead to a slightly different manifestation of the cleric class for everyone, without making one person better or worse at it. If I could find more things like that to the to a character rather than a class, I think it would go a long way to help in that area.

Work out what classes and abilities actually represent in world. Video games can get away with these abstract mechanics, but in these narration games you kind of have to be able to answer what is actually going on. What happens if you are attacked half way through a class change?

I think this is going to depend on each individual game, and it's DM's representation.
It's going to be different results if it's a magical ability you got from a mysterious talking space badger, than if it's something that everyone in the setting experiences in everyday life. I did decide on a mechanical framework. Outside of combat, you just adjust your character however you wish. But if it becomes important to change something in a combat situation, you get to make a single change per action, and you'd possibly have to Defy Danger or equivalent to pull it off. If you're ambushed in the middle of a normal class change, then force the players to use his sheet as-is at the time of ambush, with half his ability slots empty, or whatever his situation is.

Consider porting some of these ideas to a different system. Preferably something also rules-light, but more abilities based. For some reason Fudge popped into my head, but I'll admit to not being an expert there.

Unfortunately, I've never played Fudge, and the only real rules-light system I know well is BESM. And that game's so freeform, that there are no classes to switch between. One of the biggest draws to me of DW/PbtA, is the very small gap in power between high and low level characters. As you level, your options increase, but your numerical abilities barely change. You don't even gain Max HP except by raising your Con score. This works well for my game because characters will constantly be "returning to level 1" in a manner of speaking, every time they switch to a new class for the first time.
I know PbtA isn't a perfect fit, but it's way closer than anything else I've ever seen.

I like it. Clearly there's still fine tuning, but it sounds interesting.

There's WAY more than fine-tuning to do.
I haven't even decided for certain how magic works. And there's the minor detail of writing up the stats and move lists of every single class I want to include in the game...

JeenLeen
2018-12-21, 09:16 AM
This sounds really cool to me. One thing I really like about it is that you can try different character builds without swapping characters; one regret-annoyance of mine is that I rarely get to game, so when I try a new system, I usually just get to try one build and never really see what others feel like. This enables something like that.

The downside seems to be that, as game-time is limited by real life ability to game with others' real lives, instead of making time to grind, there's still some of that regret-annoyance in that there is a real opportunity cost to growing as a Fighter instead of a Wizard for a few levels. But that's pretty similar to multiclassing in D&D, except the penalties at least feel lessened.

Right now, the stats are: (names are work-in-progress)
*Physical Attack Power- Your ability to effectively make violence happen to your target. It's the stat for swords, fists, axes, boxing-glove-on-a-spring-launchers, any sort of tool for murderous physical pain.
*Magic Power- Your ability to make magical stuff happen effectively. It's the stat that a wizard uses, regardless whether his magic is powered by intelligence, charisma, chakra, or the Power of Friendship.
*Initiative? Reaction? (I want it more abstract than "Speed" or "Dexterity")- It's the dodgy, dextrous, reactive, nimble, get-out-of-the-way, successfully-act-on-this-short-lived-opportunity stat. I'm still working on the exact nature.
*Tactics- Your ability to plan ahead, do complex things in combat, and generally make the battlefield move the way you want it to. Whether you plan meticulously, affect people with raw charisma, use one of those annoying "combat maneuver" weapons to trip, disarm, or grapple, or just want to tie someone's shoelaces together without them noticing, you roll Tactics.
*Adaptability- Your ability to make do with whatever's there. Finding a suitable improvised weapon, surviving in the woods when you run out of food, and generally finding ways out of the traps someone got you into by rolling Tactics against you. Someone trying to trip you with their whip? Use Adaptability to step on the end of it, then pull it out of their hands. Someone tie your shoelaces together? Use Adaptability to stay on your feet, then deliver a leaping double-foot kick to their nuts.

Physical stats would just be description and fluff. For example, if your character had high strength, you could swing a sword, and use your strength to make an Attack Power roll.
If you were a firebender, you could use your strength to make a Magic Power roll.
If you get in a quick sucker-punch in a bar fight, you use your strength to make a fast-reacty-stat-that-needs-a-better-name roll.
If you lift an opponent up and toss him at another opponent, you use your strength to make a Tactics roll.
If you knock over a big heavy table to give yourself cover, you use your strength to make an Adaptability roll.

I really like this.
It reminds me a bit of Mutants & Masterminds. In there, one of the basic stats is Fighting.

However, I feel like having Physical Attack and Magical Attack separate negates some of the fluff. Going with your strong firebender example, with high Phys Atk and low Mag Atk: the dude can use his strength to force fire to his will, but he can't throw a punch? That doesn't quite make sense. (Think Armstrong from Full Metal Alchemist.) But if you have Fighting as a stat, maybe your base class augments what it works well for. So a Fighter can apply 100% of Fighting towards physical stuff, and a Wizard towards magic stuff. Maybe a Thief does 50% towards its damage, since it gets most damage from other stuff like sneak attack. One of the things you could buy with AP is a 'boost' to what Fighting applies to (which does not stack if your innate class already applies Fighting.)

To expound a bit, with hypothetical, somewhat arbitrary numbers:
A Fighter's basic chassis includes:
-armor proficiency
-shield proficiency
-martial and simple weapon proficiency
-100% of Fighting towards physical attacks
-??? bonus to HP

Depending on how granular you want things to be, I could see the AP-bought stuff as purely distinct things (e.g., there's just a Fire spell, and how strong it is depends on your stats) or as a chain (e.g., gotta buy Fire 1 before you buy Fire 2). The former seems better for simplicity.

If you go with the former, you could have something like
-Physical Fighting Boost -- +10% of Fighting towards physical attacks, per level of Fighter
Thus, the stronger you leveled your Fighter, the better you can make your other classes at fighting physically.

On the idea of Reaction: what if you make it just a bland name like "Dodge", but state that it includes all sorts of avoiding harm: dodging, parrying, realizing a trap is about to hit you and somehow diving out of the way or diverting it. Maybe even mental gymnastics to avoid mental assaults, if you want to really want to distinguish stats as raw ability and classes as how that ability is channeled.
Make initiative based on classes. Maybe most it's just roll a d10 and whoever gets highest goes first, but some classes (like thief) get a bonus. If you design your game such that 'rocket tag' isn't a feature of it, initiative becomes less important.

Thinking on what I just wrote, "stats as raw ability and classes as how that ability is channeled" could be a neat game design philosophy for something like this. Not sure if it's the best route or not, but it makes me have to think about what it'd really mean.

---

One fluff idea that could work is an MMO, or a setting where reality is virtual now. Thus it makes sense to swap classes on the fly. Anyway, at the least I might try to mod something like this for a sci-fi game.