PDA

View Full Version : Winter Comes

Juicy Kisses
2018-12-15, 01:26 PM
Winter Comes

After having traveled many weeks, Sasha has finally arrived at her hometown of Indos. Her eyes looking over the horizon, she can see the tips of the townhouses peaking over the hillside. As she enters into the village proper, she notices the familiar and primarily human peasantry eyeing her cautiously as she passes by. The village seems mostly unchanged, a few new buildings here and there, a few new children running about, and one family that Sasha doesn't seem to recognize. Following her feet, Sasha finds herself at a door with a sign hanging above it, noting the "Shaking Hand," the local tavern and inn. Pushing the door open, Sasha's eyes meet with a familiar and friendly face, seemingly the only friendly face in town. The local dwarf, Hodrick Widegrin, stands from his seat and rushes to her, wrapping his arms for an embrace, "Sasha! By the Twins, is it truly you? I never thought I would see your starry eyed face again. Why I remember when you were nothing but a wee lass! What's got you back to town?

JNAProductions
2018-12-15, 07:48 PM
Nostalgia, I guess, she says, hugging the much shorter man. It's been so long, I was hoping some attitudes might've changed. Though I'm glad yours hasn't.

Juicy Kisses
2018-12-15, 09:43 PM
"Most folk around here dont change much, 80 years here I know that damned well. You know how humanfolk tend to get around our types" he says with a whisper. "Nostalgia is an interesting thing to drive you back to a place like here, not too many happy memories that I recall. Heh, perhaps all the doomspoutin of late made you miss us. They do say that time makes the heart grow fond.Well, not too new here. Although, the Drammonds moved into town say 3 or 4 years back, they're an odd sort. Town built a new hall recently too, the mayor was quite happy about that. Oh, and Tommy Fletcher has gone missin bout a week and a half now, went hunting an never came back. The whole family is a mess.

His tone begins to get a bit more somber, But you know, the place hasn't really been the same here without you and your mother. You bloody elves always managed to keep a smile peaking through my beard!

JNAProductions
2018-12-15, 09:47 PM
Tommy? I... Sasha says, thinking back to all the memories of Tommy. But, thinking even further back, to her mother's words...

Always be the better person, sweetie. Find room in your heart to forgive, if not to forget. I know doing the right thing isn't always easy-but that's oftentimes how you know it's right.

She sighs. Where'd Tommy go missing? If he's been gone a week now, his family must be a mess. I can try to find him.

Juicy Kisses
2018-12-16, 12:57 AM
Hodrick let's out a grim laugh, "Try all you want lass, but I fear that boy is gone. Must've been snatched by a bear or somethin. But, if you must go look, he had gone hunting to the north, said he'd found a "hidden grotto" where there's all the game a hunter could ever dream of. Nonsense if you ask me. Dont know why you'd want to look for him anyway, after the way he'd always treated you and her mum. If you head out for 'im, lemme know. I can't right let an old friend go runnin about in the woods by herself, foul creatures be about now that summer is beginning to peak around the corner."

JNAProductions
2018-12-16, 08:15 PM
I'm a bleeding heart, you know that. she says. I can't let someone, no matter how much of an ass they might be, be in danger if I could do something about it. And besides... Maybe me helping out will change their tune.

Juicy Kisses
2018-12-16, 09:21 PM
"Very well." Hodrick looks with concern but quickly readjust himself. "We should be off then. Let me stop by me house first to pick up some things. Shall we be off?"

JNAProductions
2018-12-16, 09:31 PM
Take your time, friend. It's been a week already-a few minutes on the end won't change anything.

Sasha stays with the dwarf, letting him fetch whatever he needs, and when he's ready, she nods. I've learned a few things, in the time I've been gone. Let me know when we're near where he went missing, if you can-I've got a spell that will speed our movements, in case there's something dangerous we have to handle.

Longstrider is a good spell.

Juicy Kisses
2018-12-18, 01:28 AM
Hodrick begins collecting himself and pays his tab at the bar before heading out alongside you to his house. He enters the building and returns a few moments later geared in a chain shirt with an axe at his hip and a crossbow on his back. "Let's be off then, shall we lass? Forgive my pace, this hip is getting old."

The pair of you enter into the woods just outside town and begin to follow the trail through the trees. Hodrick smiles the entire hike, "It's nice to be out like this again. Been some time since I left the village and went on an adventure. You know, your mother and I went on our own treks like this once or twice. We made quite the team once. One time we fought an mad druid in these very woods, he had been pestering the townsfolk and they looked to us to stop him. Was quite the battle, if memory serves"

Roll a survival check if you would like to look for tracks

JNAProductions
2018-12-18, 10:37 AM
[roll0]
With advantage, due to my pal helping? [roll1]

Sasha chuckles a little. I know you like your tall tales, but it's me. You don't have to try to impress me.

But if that really happened... I'd love to hear more. But it can wait a little bit-can you help me find his tracks before we get lost in memory lane?

Juicy Kisses
2018-12-19, 12:58 PM
"Heh heh, suppose you're right lass. Though after a week his tracks are likely gone."

Almost as if on cue, as the words leave his lips you spot a pair of boot prints heading further into the woods. They look almost fresh, maybe a few days old at most.

"I suppose I may have spoken too quickly" Hodrick says with a grumble.

The pair of you continue into the woods following the tracks when suddenly you notice the air getting a lot colder. The trees have frost creeping up their sides and the ground is dotted with patches of snow. You can see you own breath escape your lips.

"Hm. This is odd. Winter fled not but two months ago. There can't be any snow left, this is impossible."

JNAProductions
2018-12-19, 01:07 PM
By the way, Imma protect my friend here from my breath weapon. Just takes a bonus action, lasts 24 hours.

Sasha shivers a little. It is strange. I can't think of anything that might cause it, though.

Juicy Kisses
2018-12-21, 02:10 PM
The wintery breeze bites at your skin as the air rushes by. The tracks have faded underneath a thin cover of snow.
"Should we continue onward? Can'tspy any tracks in this damned snow" Hodrick calls as he kicks the white powder around with his boot

JNAProductions
2018-12-21, 06:04 PM
Sasha looks into the distance. I... I want to keep going. But I know we won't find anything-regardless of what there is to find, neither of us can track well enough to get there.

Let's head back. Thanks for accompanying me, she finishes with a smile.