PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Spell-Less Ranger Archetypes?

Palanan
2018-12-15, 01:49 PM
One of my players has a dwarf ranger approaching fourth level, and since he’s more melee-oriented I’d like to give him a few options for something other than the standard ranger spell progression.

I’m aware of the trapper and skirmisher archetypes. Are there any other archetypes that trade ranger casting for other abilities? I’m open to all first-party Paizo suggestions. Are there other archetypes or other character options that could work here?

Grim Reader
2018-12-15, 02:26 PM
While on the subject, are there any spell-less Archetypes for the 2/3 casters? Bard, Skald, Inquisitor, Hunter, Warpriest, Summoner, et al ? Third party?

Seems like they'd be giving up a lot, but Archetypes are not always balanced.

Krazzman
2018-12-15, 02:31 PM
There is the PoW archetype (Ambush Hunter) that trades spells for Maneuver Progression that could work reasonably well.

EldritchWeaver
2018-12-16, 06:18 AM
While on the subject, are there any spell-less Archetypes for the 2/3 casters? Bard, Skald, Inquisitor, Hunter, Warpriest, Summoner, et al ? Third party?

Seems like they'd be giving up a lot, but Archetypes are not always balanced.

Assuming you allow Spheres of Might (considering that magic rules in general, you need a boost for martials anyway), there are a number of SoM archetypes which trade out magic on a class basis. Or you could instead trade out the magic for a practitioner progression (which works independent of class, but means that you might keep useless class features).

Palanan
2018-12-16, 09:58 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, but for my purposes I’m only looking for options from official first-party sources.

Speaking of which, I’ve been through the list of ranger archetypes on the PFSRD, and I’m only seeing Trapper and Skirmisher as spell-less variants. Are there any others that I’ve missed? And are there any other options that would allow a ranger to swap his spellcasting for something else?