PDA

View Full Version : Good superhero RPG system?

Daimbert
2007-09-22, 10:17 AM
I was thinking about taking on either in addition to my solo D&D campaign or instead of it one based on a good superhero system, and so am asking for recommendations on such a system.

What I'd want:

1) Diversity in powers.
2) Available pre-made modules, preferably ones that could in theory be solo'ed with one person being the DM and the players.
3) More emphasis on building a character with powers than in building a generic hero with powers.

I don't care that much for the DC universe and kind of like the Marvel universe. The computer game that really gets me thinking about this is City of Heroes, and I really like their power system and how that all works: I was able to build CHARACTERS in that game with diverse power sets that can fit character molds.

Thanks in advance.

Jarchh
2007-09-22, 10:46 AM
You might want to look at mutants and masterminds then, I love that system. There isnt a cookie cutter class in sight absolutely everything is point bases and you choose to invest it in powers, stats, skills or feats and such, of which theres a huge selection, plus I know of atleast a few premade modules.

Pauwel
2007-09-22, 11:13 AM
Yeah, Mutants and Masterminds 2nd Edition. My favourite system of all time. It's just awesome.

Ralfarius
2007-09-22, 11:44 AM
GURPS Supers is fun, but like all GURPS character generation an take forever, especially without a chargen assistant computer program. The fact that your point allotment is anywhere from 2-5 times higher (or more) doesn't help. But you can pretty much do anything with it, and you can also toss GURPS Psionics in for a wider range of super powers.

Crow T. Robot
2007-09-22, 01:01 PM
Ralfarius is right, GURPS does make a decent supers game, but it doesn't have premade situations. Also it lends itself more to "Heroes" types of supers then anything else. Also, your heroes are going to bleed.

You do get well rounded people in the end, and powers are very customizable. Books that would be needed are both basic set books, Powers, and the Supers book. the last one is $8 if you download it from e23. And this book also has a useful super strength rule which is vital.

If you want super science then bio tech and ultra tech are going to be useful.

Talya
2007-09-22, 01:08 PM
I always liked the old TSR marvel superheroes game with their bizarre ability score system: Shift 0, Feeble (2), Poor (4), Typical (6), Good (10), Excellent (20), Remarkable (30), Incredible (40), Amazing (50), Monstrous (75), Unearthly (100), Shift X (150), Shift Y (250), Shift Z (500), Class 1000, Class 3000, Class 5000, Beyond (∞)

skywalker
2007-09-22, 01:15 PM
Hey, what about HERO? I've never seen it played and have only thumbed through the book, but isn't that designed for making heroes? Specifically, the Champions sub-set of rules? Who's got feedback on that?

nagora
2007-09-22, 01:18 PM
I was thinking about taking on either in addition to my solo D&D campaign or instead of it one based on a good superhero system, and so am asking for recommendations on such a system.

What I'd want:

1) Diversity in powers.
2) Available pre-made modules, preferably ones that could in theory be solo'ed with one person being the DM and the players.
3) More emphasis on building a character with powers than in building a generic hero with powers.

Sounds like what you want is 3rd edition D&D: it's the the superhero version of AD&D.

/sarcasm

Starsinger
2007-09-22, 01:45 PM
Sounds like what you want is 3rd edition D&D: it's the the superhero version of AD&D.

/sarcasm

So very bitter...

Depending on the tone you want for the game, you may want to consider BESM. It's not as useful if you want a more gritty, realistic feel like Batman. But it's amazing if you want powerful superheroes like Gold/Silver age Superman.

My cousin recently got the book for Mutants and Masterminds 2E. I haven't flipped through it that much, but what I saw I liked.

nagora
2007-09-22, 01:51 PM
So very bitter...

I know :smallsmile:

How about Silver Age Sentinels? It looks nice but I haven't tried it.

Mojo_Rat
2007-09-22, 01:58 PM
The three super hero systems I have played are the TSR marvel game which i really enjoyed when I was younger. While it isnt the best there is a wide variety of powers and a system that becomes fairly intuitive eventually. When we were teenagers my gaming group had it down sot hat we never even had to look at the charts much at all for anything.

CHAMPIONS is also good, You can literally make anything. Although i was never a big fan of the actual game mechanics. The game has however been around for a long time and many have found it sound.

And lastly as has been mentioned the more recent Mutants and Masterminds. I quite like the system seems to be fairly easy and captures the genere quite well. Everyone and everything is balanced at the power level the GM wants with no way for Pc's to get past it.

goat
2007-09-22, 02:05 PM
The problem with most superheroes games is the power level conflicts.

People try and play the Justice league, or the Avengers, and find that Superman, Thor and the like come out so far beyond the Green Arrow and Captain America types that it makes certain situations unplayable for some of the characters.

As such, whichever system you use, I'd just advise that you try to make sure everyone is on a similar level of usefulness in most situations, otherwise it becomes a strain on the DM to make the adventure entertaining for everyone at the table.

Starsinger
2007-09-22, 02:18 PM

People try and play the Justice league, or the Avengers, and find that Superman, Thor and the like come out so far beyond the Green Arrow and Captain America types that it makes certain situations unplayable for some of the characters.

Your argument, while true, utterly fails :smallwink: You can't discuss disparity between super heroes' power levels without invoking Aquaman.. it's like a rule.

Talya
2007-09-22, 02:30 PM
Your argument, while true, utterly fails :smallwink: You can't discuss disparity between super heroes' power levels without invoking Aquaman.. it's like a rule.

Note that Batman has the lowest "power level" in the JLA.

That doesn't mean he can't kick all of their asses.

At once.

Starsinger
2007-09-22, 02:38 PM
Note that Batman has the lowest "power level" in the JLA.

That doesn't mean he can't kick all of their asses.

At once.

Aquaman's ability to communicate with fish, is useless, despite being in theory somehow better than just a utility belt filled with stuff.

skywalker
2007-09-22, 02:46 PM

As such, whichever system you use, I'd just advise that you try to make sure everyone is on a similar level of usefulness in most situations, otherwise it becomes a strain on the DM to make the adventure entertaining for everyone at the table.

So Captain America is kinda like the fighter when faced with the "Batman Wizard"(In this production, the role of "Batman Wizard" will be played by Superman? The hell?)

goat
2007-09-22, 03:08 PM

Aquaman depends ENTIRELY on how they decide to power him when they're writing. He lives at the bottom of the ocean, and yet can move there without any hindrance at all. His body must be massively pressure resistant, and pretty damn strong if he's capable of moving down there. He should be able to take most "people" in a straight fight. The power over water animals thing is just bonus.

Pauwel
2007-09-22, 03:30 PM
So Captain America is kinda like the fighter when faced with the "Batman Wizard"(In this production, the role of "Batman Wizard" will be played by Superman? The hell?)

Only if you're only considering pure power; Batman is still more versatile than Superman, even though Superman is better in terms of pure power.

When it comes to Batman kicking everyone's asses... I'll just say that you can't expect the rules to simulate the comic book writers' attempts to appeal to fanboys by writing unrealistic stories.

goat
2007-09-22, 03:41 PM
Only if you're only considering pure power; Batman is still more versatile than Superman, even though Superman is better in terms of pure power.

This is essentially the point I was trying to make. The challenges that Batman faces are completely different to those of Superman. Batman is, at his core, a detective. He solves crimes, beats up human power level enemies, and provides information for others. Superman is a powerhouse. He stops natural disasters, super-powered enemies and alien invasion fleets. Ask him to solve a complicated puzzle, and he might be stumped.

It's just hard to set characters of both types up against the same opponents.

Collin152
2007-09-22, 03:45 PM
You like marvel?
Classic Marvel Supheroes system. Don't like marvel? Use it anyways and drop the marvel fluff.
It rocks.
Tons of powers, the abiity to make unique uses for your powers, and a simple yet engaging combat system.
I like it, I love it, I want some more of it, and still want to find people to play it with. :smallfrown:

Overlard
2007-09-22, 05:42 PM
Hey, what about HERO? I've never seen it played and have only thumbed through the book, but isn't that designed for making heroes? Specifically, the Champions sub-set of rules? Who's got feedback on that?
They're excellent. Unparalleled for getting exactly the hero you want, down to the finest detail.

The flaw is that compared to HERO, the D20 system is like a game of tic-tac-toe. Prepare for a lot of rules, and early on, a lot of searching through thick books.

Stevo-Tron
2007-09-22, 06:00 PM
my fellow gamers and i have recently picked up champions.

well im no expert but thus far i really like the fact that you can make anything you want. at all. my friend made a character that makes straws into bendy straws that explode.

the biggest drawback thus far though is the enormous difference in rules compared to the usual d&d we play. everything runs on d6's and low rolls are better then higher ones.

well there's my two cents, Stevo-Tron signing out.

Prowler7
2007-09-22, 06:34 PM
You like marvel?
Classic Marvel Supheroes system. Don't like marvel? Use it anyways and drop the marvel fluff.
It rocks.
Tons of powers, the abiity to make unique uses for your powers, and a simple yet engaging combat system.

I am a HUGE fan of the Marvel system. It was simple, engaging and VERY flexible if you arent a rules lawyer. If you are a rules lawyer, play HERO. Both games are excellent, but one is for fast easy fun, the other is for technical precision playing.

Daimbert
2007-09-22, 06:40 PM
I am a HUGE fan of the Marvel system. It was simple, engaging and VERY flexible if you arent a rules lawyer. If you are a rules lawyer, play HERO. Both games are excellent, but one is for fast easy fun, the other is for technical precision playing.

I actually played it once, and even read one of the pre-made modules. But it might be hard to find modules and the game now ...

feghoot
2007-09-22, 06:42 PM
You know whats best about about the MHRPG? It's free. (http://www.classicmarvel.com/)

Kurald Galain
2007-09-23, 02:08 AM
For another suggestion... Aberrant, by White Wolf. It is, obviously, not marvel-based, but it has a plethora of powers and mega-attributes you can pick from, and a nice backstory that is less dark than most of the World of Darkness.

Also for consideration, TORG. Even though nobody plays that any more :smallbiggrin:

Skjaldbakka
2007-09-23, 02:26 AM
Also by WW, you could try SCION. I haven't played, by my understanding is that it is great for playing Thor-style superheroes.

Beleriphon
2007-09-23, 07:09 AM
I'm going to say Mutants and Masterminds Second Edition. The way the system works, in theory, means that any character that meets their combat caps is balanced. There are of course several exceptions, but the rules make it pretty clear when these show up.

They game is easy to run, and really fun. I'd recommend it over anything else for a superhero RPG. As a bonus if you're already familiar with D20 based games than M&M is a pretty easy transition.

Daimbert
2007-09-23, 07:33 AM
I'm going to say Mutants and Masterminds Second Edition. The way the system works, in theory, means that any character that meets their combat caps is balanced. There are of course several exceptions, but the rules make it pretty clear when these show up.

They game is easy to run, and really fun. I'd recommend it over anything else for a superhero RPG. As a bonus if you're already familiar with D20 based games than M&M is a pretty easy transition.

Okay, I'm pretty much convinced that I'm going with Mutants and Masterminds. What's the absolute minimum of books you'd have to have to GM and play? I'm also thinking that the "A More Perfect Union" module would a perfect one (no pun intended) for me to try out; does anyone have opinions on it or any other pre-made modules?

Note that I WILL be playing this with myself as both the GM and the players, which is why I'll only play pre-made modules.

Thanks.

Pauwel
2007-09-23, 09:08 AM
Okay, I'm pretty much convinced that I'm going with Mutants and Masterminds. What's the absolute minimum of books you'd have to have to GM and play? I'm also thinking that the "A More Perfect Union" module would a perfect one (no pun intended) for me to try out; does anyone have opinions on it or any other pre-made modules?

Note that I WILL be playing this with myself as both the GM and the players, which is why I'll only play pre-made modules.

Thanks.

The core book is the only one needed for GMs or players. Ultimate Power is excellent and very recommended, but it's not strictly necessary.

SCPRedMage
2007-09-23, 09:45 AM
So very bitter...

Depending on the tone you want for the game, you may want to consider BESM. It's not as useful if you want a more gritty, realistic feel like Batman. But it's amazing if you want powerful superheroes like Gold/Silver age Superman.

My cousin recently got the book for Mutants and Masterminds 2E. I haven't flipped through it that much, but what I saw I liked.
I'll second the BESM nomination.

Although it was designed as an anime RPG, the Tri-Stat system (used by BESM and Silver Age Sentinels) is a fairly simple point-based system with a large degree of flexibility, which is exactly what a super-hero game calls for. Especially of note is that the system describes what the powers do, but go out of their way not to describe how they do it; rather than split "laser beams" and "energy blasts" like Blood of Heroes does, they'd both fall under Special Attack.

If you want to get a feel for the system, you can download the Tri-Stat dX core rules here: http://www.guardiansorder.com/pdfs/goo_TriStatdX.pdf. Just be warned that BESM has been revised into a third edition since that was released.

To be honest, the Tri-Stat system is the easiest to use, most flexible point-based system I've seen to date.

Squee_nabob
2007-09-23, 08:14 PM
I am a huge fan of HERO, although many have found "Sidekick" HERO's little brother to be an easier entry into HERO system.

BardicDuelist
2007-09-23, 09:24 PM
A great thing about M&M is a lot of D&D stuff you have can be pretty easily converted (all relavant feats work, etc).

I recomend using a different skill system than M&M however. The way I did it was using SW Saga Edition skills system (PL instead of character level) with each trained skill costing 2 Power Points. I think it works a little better, since otherwise skills are very expensive.

Overall, I like the combat of M&M and the reliance on a single die. It is very smooth and easy to run and teach.

PnP Fan
2007-09-24, 08:32 AM
Daimbert,
I'll second/third/etc. . . Mutants and Masterminds 2nd edition for the following reasons:
1. d20 mechanic that you're already familiar with.
2. Highly customizable characters.
3. Very well balanced system.
4. DM controls maximum power levels.
5. Power levels are independant of experience points (i.e. Experience points are spent on many things, none of which include "leveling up", which is solely determined by the GM)
6. You can make a 10th level batman, or Cap or Silver Surfer, and they'll all be balanced against one another. There are a bunch of templates in the book that show how this works.
7. There are published adventures, but they are few. Generally speaking though, you don't see many ready made adventures for any games these days anyway. My guess is that there's not a lot of money in publishing them for the amount of labor that goes into making them.
8. You only NEED the Mutants and Masterminds book to play/GM. The Masterminds Manual is helpful if you want to customize your setting, but not necessary. Ultimate Powers is handy, and they've published a book of hero/villain templates that I suspect could be useful. Also some setting books have been published (Hero High, Noir, and others). All good material, but absolutely NOT NECESSARY to enjoy the game thoroughly.

On the subject of "A more perfect union" adventure: This published adventure is intended to be used with the Paragon setting. Paragon hasn't come out yet (release date this week I believe), but I suspect that you won't really NEED Paragon to run Union.

If you are a fan of the Aberrant setting, I believe that Paragon is supposed to bear some resemblance to Aberrant, though not in any official sense.

If you are thinking about running Aberrant, but haven't purchased the books. I'd caution against it. The powers aren't really balanced well against one another. Some powers are really cheap compared to others, and are inordinately powerful. Still, one of the most interesting settings out there.

Greyen
2007-09-24, 08:58 AM
For another suggestion... Aberrant, by White Wolf. It is, obviously, not marvel-based, but it has a plethora of powers and mega-attributes you can pick from, and a nice backstory that is less dark than most of the World of Darkness.

I agree with this guy but I toss out the world. Its a little bit "shiny apple/rotten core" type stuff with a lot of espionage crap in it. You may need to adjust the amount of points used to fuel powers - forgot what they are called- though, I find that doubling it is ok.

Daimbert
2007-09-24, 11:16 AM
On the subject of "A more perfect union" adventure: This published adventure is intended to be used with the Paragon setting. Paragon hasn't come out yet (release date this week I believe), but I suspect that you won't really NEED Paragon to run Union.

So THAT'S why I couldn't order it from the shop [grin]. The PDF is available, and that made me think it was too old, not too new. If worst came to worst, I'd buy the PDF versions and simply read them while gaming from my laptop.

Thanks for the other advice. But I don't know anything about the Aberrant setting but the Union module sounds really interesting, and similar to DP7 at the start (in a sense) and also to a story I wrote long ago inspired BY DP7. If the Paragon setting allows for that, that would be really cool.

EDIT: After reading more about it on the site, not only does it look like it really IS DP7, someone else shares my opinion on that [grin].