PDA

View Full Version : Build suggestions for 3 dump stats?

bean illus
2018-12-15, 07:23 PM
Just a thought experiment ...

32 point 18 16 14 8 8 8 ... which order?

I really just started thinking about it and don't have much to go with. It did occur to me that there are 3 saves, and i wanted to put the high scores in those abilities ... so ...

8 16 18 - 8 14 8 (or some variation)

I kinda don't want to pollute the waters with the few ideas i have, but sources/limits:

Most 1st party is ok. Multiclassing is fine.
Spells are ok, or not, but the technical ability needed should be accessible (so no bookkeeping nightmares, please). Player races, and no LA (+0 is ok).

Thanks.

DarkSoul
2018-12-15, 07:49 PM
A wild shape focused druid, probably. Dump the physical stats since you won't use them anyway.

Goaty14
2018-12-15, 07:58 PM
A wild shape focused druid, probably. Dump the physical stats since you won't use them anyway.

This, except you switch constitution with charisma. Wildshape doesn't grant you a higher HP count after usage, despite granting a larger CON.

bean illus
2018-12-15, 09:55 PM
I thought of wildshape as bookkeeping nightmare, but i guess i could stick usually to a few basic shapes.

I also thought Natural Spell was considered broke list? I guess i could melee while wildshaped and spell when not?

Thoights?

ExLibrisMortis
2018-12-15, 09:59 PM
Natural Spell is considered a 6th-level druid class feature. It's not broken or unfair, just a really good feat.

Ruethgar
2018-12-15, 10:10 PM
Dump the physical stats and double familiar form/magic jar into something(an advanced monkey). Level 5 to come online unless you want to want a hardcore game with a faustian pact or GM starts you with high wealth for 2 scrolls. Regardless a Wizard or Sorcerer can do fine with apt spell selection until they reach high enough to overcome their physical shortcomings.

Coventry
2018-12-15, 10:17 PM
In Pathfinder: Synthesist Summoner. The eidolon's physical stats replace the character's when it is summoned, so dump STR and DEX. Dumping CON is trouble though, as the instant you run out of temporary hit points from the eidolon, the higher CON vanishes too .. so you're probably dead.

Only grab one level if you want to avoid your DM's wrath.

zlefin
2018-12-15, 10:17 PM
3 dump stats is pretty easy to do (depending on how you like your campaigns), especially when you have good stats like that to work with for the non-dumps.
There's a lot of combat types which can just take 8 int/wis/cha and be fine. basically any mundane combat char that isn't a secondary skill-monkey. All your physical stats will be good and that's all you need.
and with uh, steadfast determination I think it is; you can get con for will saves instead of wis. So all your saves will be good.

Most caster types can also manage 3 dump stats fine; just dump the 2 mental ones that aren't your casting stat + strength.

What's a bit trickier to do is a build with 5 dump stats. Been awhile, iirc the best choices for that are Warlock; which can be decent while avoiding all save-dependent spells so they can be ok with just Con.

PS the OP said thought experiment at the start; but some of the other statements by them indicate it may be more than just a thought experiment.

Elkad
2018-12-15, 10:27 PM
Any non-melee class. Wizard, Druid, Beguiler, Psion, etc...

Dump Str and your non-primary mental stats.

Then again, I'm playing a Con:10 blasting Ardent right now. 25 PB game, put basically everything in Wis/Dex. 9(7)/14(16)/10/8/18/8. Having an 8 con wouldn't be terrible. I'm really careful about positioning, prioritized movement speed, have a Mind over Body ring, and keep a small buffer in Vigor.
At L13 I think I've only been at negative HP a couple times. My sole death was at L12, to a first-round Power Word:Kill, and it didn't stick. Damn near the shortest fight ever to feature a death on both sides. Baddie dropped me with PW:K, our Warblade dropped the baddie with a critical Greater Insightful Strike, and the Warlock UMDed a Psionic Revivify stone to stand me back up. Combat Over.

Zaq
2018-12-16, 10:29 AM
Warlock is famous for being functional with no high stats, if you feel like going that way. Similarly, DFA can totally work with just good CON, and you can even bump up CHA and either DEX or INT with that array you’ve got there.

A word of caution if you listen to the advice about “non-skillmonkey martial”: be aware that some feats have obnoxious and easy-to-forget stat requirements. Like Combat Expertise and many of its children requiring 13 INT for some hateful reason. That can interfere with, for instance, a tripping build.

You could probably get away with a caster Cleric in heavy armor. Pump WIS, CON, and CHA, hide in your tin can, and let your god’s magic do all the work.

Selion
2018-12-16, 01:15 PM
Natural Spell is considered a 6th-level druid class feature. It's not broken or unfair, just a really good feat.

In a campaign in 3.5 (a decade ago, so there wasn't all the material there is today), this was the one and only feat banned by my master :)
I considered this decision appropriate, not so much for in combat powerful effects, but because i have still nightmares of little undetectable birds casting columns of fire (just to pick an uninventive use)
Too much versatility in a single feat for my taste

Eldariel
2018-12-16, 01:32 PM
Druid, Wizard, Cleric, Sorcerer (and all single stat casters and even most two-stat casters) all function superbly with those stats. 18 to casting stat, 16 to Con, 14 to Dex (Druid and Cleric don't even need Dex thanks to Wildshape and Heavy Armor respectively). Druid with 18 Wis, 16 Con, 14 Int and 8 in everything else is more than fine. FWIW most mundanes can dump all mental stats and be fine (if a bit skill-starved and still sucky 'cause they're mundanes). Heavy armor can often even dump Dex and it's possible to SAD your stats with feats.

That's actually a fairly high array: 18 - 16 -14 on PB is equal to 16 + 10 + 6 = 32pb. It's something I often use on casters (Gray Elf with 6 Str, 18 Dex, 12 Con, 20 Int, 8 Wis, 8 Cha makes for an incredible Wizard for instance). It's of course a bit restrictive RP-wise since Cha 8 kinda restricts you to sitting in the backlines for most conversations with outsiders and Wis 8 means you'll probably do silly stuff every now and then. But that's not a bad nor strange archetype for a bookish Wizard.

Crake
2018-12-17, 10:04 PM
Play a barbarian, 18, 14, 16, 8, 8, 8, ezpz

rel
2018-12-20, 11:51 PM
ish. You have no almost no skills and your wis save is dangerously low.

Wizard works well, either:
8 14 16 18 8 8
or
8 16 14 18 8 8

you might be able to get away with a warblade or crusader using:
18 8 16 14 8 8
or
18 14 16 8 8 8 if you don't mind less skills

heavyfuel
2018-12-21, 06:46 AM

If every single Druid is taking this feat to the poibt that you and other basically consider a class feature, then it's too strong of a feat.

It is pretty broken and, depending on how you view the game, incredibly unfair