PDA

View Full Version : Need a God of Polygamy?

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-12-15, 09:41 PM
I need a decent prominent god for a non evil city which follows polygamy as a pragmatic answer to a good number of young men being killed off in war.

Any ideas on how to make this seem necessary for survival of the city and not creepy?

djreynolds
2018-12-15, 09:47 PM
Like Zeus, or someone similar

The Jack
2018-12-15, 09:49 PM
*quickly googles things*

Polygamy is legal in more than 1/4 of the modern world's nations. It also has plenty of historical precedent.

Just act like it's normal and don't make a big deal out of it.
If your other players protest, you say it like thus;

"Women here want husbands, and there's a shortage of those. Who're you to deny women want they want?

CantigThimble
2018-12-15, 09:57 PM
I mean, so long as it's marriage and not slave harems or anything like that it probably wouldn't come off as evil. Weird perhaps,but not evil.

lunaticfringe
2018-12-15, 10:02 PM
Women choose the husband? The man isn't the head of the house, the women are.

Hecate/Hekate (or any triple form goddess, ex The Morrigan) goddess of magic & protection. 3 women form a holy coven or sacred tribunal. Usually there is more than one husband but the war has reduced the numbers of available men. When boys come of age they are usually ejected from the House and left to fend for themselves (though there are exceptions and many mothers arrange aid for their sons on the DL). If they are successful they will join a new house and wed.

JackPhoenix
2018-12-15, 10:08 PM
Why do you need a god for that? It's a temporary problem (the war presumably isn't permanent state of affair), and purely secular.

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-12-15, 10:29 PM
Thanks to you all for putting my concerns in their place.

I have an urge to make most of my isolated settings unique so sometimes I try.

djreynolds
2018-12-15, 10:39 PM
I need a decent prominent god for a non evil city which follows polygamy as a pragmatic answer to a good number of young men being killed off in war.

Any ideas on how to make this seem necessary for survival of the city and not creepy?

Perhaps the residents don't know it's the reason why?

They do so for other reasons, perhaps a make love not war, etc.

But behind the curtain is the real reason why.

Often things in society that last, even theology, have real scientific, functional reasons.

Sounds cool

Laird
2018-12-15, 10:40 PM
Thanks to you all for putting my concerns in their place.

I have an urge to make most of my isolated settings unique so sometimes I try.

Another option is that "with wisdom comes a price" and several woman that are considered wise or what not are sterile (whether it be divine or not) and considered blessed by their god, for in the afterlife they are wives to him or pure handmaidens to her. To make Inheritance less messy in a woman ruled nation, near sisters or sisterwives (some that are sterile and some that are not) take one man for their husband to ensure their holdings and land are not split. Economically it makes sense and if there are wars it is always good to have a contingency, ergo the first to get pregnant gets more rights (though not as many as the blessed ones).

Theres room for plot hooks and everything else, like perhaps this uncanny rate of sterility is tied to an artifact or something buried underneath the city. Though I think this requires a bit more of an openminded, mature group that are interested in lore/history. It's a suggestion :smallsmile:

Good luck!

MaxWilson
2018-12-15, 11:06 PM

It's mostly just about the tone. If everyone in the society treats it as normal, not a big deal, it will feel pretty normal, not creepy, in the same way that modern Americans react normally to people having multiple ex-husbands/ex-wives today. (I.e. serial polygamy.)

You could imagine someone getting all weirded out by someone with a wife and an ex-wife, just like you could imagine someone getting weirded out by someone being married to two women at the same time (or a woman being married to two men at the same time), but if everyone else thinks the person reacting weirdly is the odd one, they will be.

The Jack
2018-12-15, 11:19 PM
Women choose the husband? The man isn't the head of the house, the women are.

Hecate/Hekate (or any triple form goddess, ex The Morrigan) goddess of magic & protection. 3 women form a holy coven or sacred tribunal. Usually there is more than one husband but the war has reduced the numbers of available men. When boys come of age they are usually ejected from the House and left to fend for themselves (though there are exceptions and many mothers arrange aid for their sons on the DL). If they are successful they will join a new house and wed.

That's far, far more contrived than just accepting men with multiple wives. Who does that fantasy actually serve?

Why do you need a god for that? It's a temporary problem (the war presumably isn't permanent state of affair), and purely secular.

Yep.

Or you could do it how people do it.

"My faith's interpretation of -insert common god here- says he approves of whatever I'm doing. What he said in your faith's version of events is wrong/irrelevant.

Ganymede
2018-12-15, 11:23 PM

Blame magic.

Magic messing with fertility rates could be used to justify either a polygynic or polyandric society, depending on which sex is impacted.

djreynolds
2018-12-15, 11:27 PM
Its basically "functionalism ".

Say something is sacred in a country because of religious nature , but there is also a societal, measurable benefit also... if you take time to study and look at.

Perhaps monogamous marriage isn't practiced in your city because of the predominant religion... But because of "curse" only certain males are not infertile. Hence multiple husbands.

Though the tie into something like a WWI, where a whole generation of young men died could be fascinating.

DeadMech
2018-12-15, 11:29 PM
Well like most controversial things at the gaming table it's not my opinion that's important. It's not our opinion as a forum. It's the opinions of the people at your table, so know your audience.

Controversial opinion maybe but I don't think there is anything inherently evil about polygamy. Or even non-good. Rather the issues surrounding it mostly come down to other aspects of the cultures that practice it. Are individual's treated fairly? Are the men going off to fight being treated like cannon fodder? Do the women pick their partners? Are people being indoctrinated or pressured into it to the point where it's questionable if the situation is consensual?

In DnD land magic means women probably aren't dying in childbirth at the rate they were historically. I live in a country where women can and do choose to join military but even then it's typically at a lower rate. I guess it's sensical if some eternal conflict is going on for the idea of 25%+ of every generation dying in war leaving a lack of husbandos in the general population and for this to occur.

As for a god for this group I'm not so sure if I can offer much suggestions. Many real world religions have splinter groups and times when they have accepted polygamy. I'm not going to discuss much into that. My google-fu is failing me though at sifting through contemporary stuff. At least not in a timely fashion.

lunaticfringe
2018-12-16, 12:25 AM
That's far, far more contrived than just accepting men with multiple wives. Who does that fantasy actually serve?

***Shrugs***

It's just an idea. Of course it was contrived I was trying to tick the 3 boxes the OP mentioned.

Religious Basis
Alternative version of polygamy (or At least not similar to the stereotypical version most people assume)
The war thingy.

Ganymede
2018-12-16, 12:55 PM
Idea!

A town's residents are infected with magically mutated bee pheromones and the townsfolk start subconsciously emulating the three castes of a beehive: workers, drones, and queens. There's one fantasy justification for a polyandric township.

Of course, you don't really need a justification for it; I don't think Toril has any sort of default romantic relationship.

Max_Killjoy
2018-12-16, 01:19 PM
Seriously, none of these special magical explanations are necessary.

Even if the community / state religion demanded 1-1 marriages before, and then there was a war that resulted in a lot of the young men dying, then just have the priests receive (or claim to receive) a vision / revelation / oracular message that special dispensations will be granted for a generation to allow multiple wives per husband, or that there shall be no stigma on children out of wedlock for 40 years, or whatever.

Sigreid
2018-12-16, 01:27 PM
Historically it's just not that unusual. Heck, it my country polygamy is technically illegal but there are assorted groups that will have one "legal" marriage and any number of religious ones. Lots of people think it's a bit weird, but few if any are fussed about it to try to stop them.

The Jack
2018-12-16, 01:46 PM
If the city is fuedal, the civilian populace could stuck with monogomy, as they're dying rather equally, whilst the militant nobility do a multiple-wife or one-wife many concubines deal, as they're dying more.

If the city isnt fuedal, theres a huge variety of stuff.
Service=citizenship and citizenship=multi wives (you could argue that's not good)
Or you could say free love. This would make the society matrilineal.
or maybe it's all aranged.
Or, maybe, wives choose husbands based on love/wealth/usual things.

Changing husbands whike they're alive is something to consider. Who does it bring shame too?

Interesting note: romans were cool with homosexual men, but couldn't stand homosexual women. I guess they denied men their roll as breeders...

ZorroGames
2018-12-17, 10:13 AM
Need? No. Just introduce the city/nation like any other.

Want? It is only creepy if you make it so.

Vorpalchicken
2018-12-17, 02:02 PM
Model him after the Southwestern Native American mythological figure Kokopelli. He could impregnate whole villages with his flute music. Also he could purportedly detach his penis and send it swimming up rivers to entertain groups of female bathers.

Sometimes he is depicted in pictographs with his ample genitals intact but more often (these days) he is in his shown in his emasculated form, presumably hanging out by the riverside.

Max_Killjoy
2018-12-17, 02:07 PM
Probably don't want to mention any real deities, just as reference or otherwise, given that even lists of entirely fictional deities with real-sounding names are at risk of being "actioned".

Unoriginal
2018-12-17, 02:15 PM
Probably don't want to mention any real deities, just as reference or otherwise, given that even lists of entirely fictional deities with real-sounding names are at risk of being "actioned".

What do you mean?

Vorpalchicken
2018-12-17, 02:20 PM
I'm pretty sure no one actively worships Kokopelli. This is more akin to what is listed on p298 to 299 of the PHB. Or Oghma, Tyr and Loviatar.
(edit- not to mention Bahumut and Tiamat)

I mean I guess there are Odin worshippers out there so possibly I am offending somebody but just the act of playing D&D is offensive to some.

(edit - just realized my auto correct changed genitals to gentiles. Hope that didn't offend anyone.)

Max_Killjoy
2018-12-17, 02:33 PM
What do you mean?

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/announcement.php?f=63&a=1

Scroll down to "inappropriate topics."

I'm pretty sure no one actively worships...

At present, there actually are, in certain communities.

Personally, I've come to the conclusion that it's best just to not take a chance with any entity that was ever venerated anywhere by anyone, given where the line gets drawn.

Vorpalchicken
2018-12-17, 02:40 PM
In case I haven't made it clear, I am fairly certain I am not discussing a real world religion. Norse mythos and the like don't count. If I'm wrong about the mythology I have discussed I will apologize and cease discussing it.

Max_Killjoy
2018-12-17, 02:54 PM
In case I haven't made it clear, I am fairly certain I am not discussing a real world religion. Norse mythos and the like don't count. If I'm wrong about the mythology I have discussed I will apologize and cease discussing it.

Not trying to stifle discussion, just hoping posters make an informed decision on where they draw their own line.

ZorroGames
2018-12-23, 10:03 AM

Is Jedi a “real” religion because some tricksters in the U.K. got enough signatures to have it listed as a religion? Should a DM who puts Jedis into an adventure be somehow disciplined?

In a game that deals with “deities” it is inherently gray (or grey) [humor or humor there] where the line is about real world versus fantasy gods. Whether Kokopelli is a “real god” and using such a diety in a thread is offensive to “possibly someone” seems incredibly - using my best manners - anal.

Back before there was “AD&D” I had a diety only known in that world as the Ancient of Days (no churches or humanoid worshipers/Clerics before some PCs where recruited for a very high level adventure.). That such could be construed to be controversial in the Real World (Patent Pending) is one of the bizarre aspects/quirks of this forum.

Again, if it is not AL, just talk to the players involved and let them know it “exists” in your world.

If it is AL, just don’t. Not worth burdening your players with something that might complicate their AL playing experience.

Bieskaon
2018-12-27, 04:18 AM
Greetings,

another possible Deity IMO would be our Lady Firehair, the Goddess Sune.
Her dogma revolves around nurturing and encouraging love and passion.
For although her clergy leans mostly into some kind of narcicisstic behaviour,
Her main premise is still love, beauty, and the beauty of life.
Basicaly the dnd version of Aphrodite, mixed with a bit of the egyptian goddess Hathor (or Heqet the former version of greeks Hecate)

One of my player had chosen her to be the Goddess of his Lifedomain Cleric.
Fluffing its story to the extend, that Life itself is the true Beauty and have to be preserved.

But if you just want something more in the direction of the Dogma "fertility" itself,
then i would think that Ehlonna from D&D 3rd edition could be fitting
Ehlonna: goddess of forests, woodlands, flora & fauna, and fertility.
Maybe you need to adjust her a bit to fit to your situation

hope this helps

Bieskaon

Particle_Man
2018-12-27, 12:27 PM
Kalamar went another way and has the remaining women learn the art of combat in order to survive attacks from threatening neighbors.

KorvinStarmast
2018-12-27, 01:35 PM
this nice man has 16 wives. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mswati_III)
Do a little reading on the history and culture of Swaziland.
See how you can fold it into the world you are running.
People have been ripping off the real world, or adapting it, for storytelling for speculative fiction purposes for a very long time.
Your turn. :smallsmile:

Bohandas
2019-01-01, 07:33 PM
I'm pretty sure no one actively worships...
The stricter forum mods don't care if a religion is defunct (and they also don't consider it defunct if it has even a single remaining adherant, even if there's a disconnect of centuries between that adherant and the original adherants). If it was ever a real religion, no matter how long it's been since it vanished, the mods don't want you talking about it. (Although IIRC there is an exception for discussing specific fictionalized versions of mythological characters, such as the version of Thor from Order of the Stick, the version of Loki from The Mask, the version of Ra from Stargate, the version of Kali from Temple of Doom and theoretically the version of Jesus from South Park(although most discussions of South Park would raise other acceptable use concerns) )

Bohandas
2019-01-01, 07:37 PM
Anyway, in terms of D&D gods, Olidammara from World of Greyhawk might fit the bill in a free love sort of context

Vorpalchicken
2019-01-01, 10:58 PM
The stricter forum mods don't care if a religion is defunct (and they also don't consider it defunct if it has even a single remaining adherant, even if there's a disconnect of centuries between that adherant and the original adherants). If it was ever a real religion, no matter how long it's been since it vanished, the mods don't want you talking about it. (Although IIRC there is an exception for discussing specific fictionalized versions of mythological characters, such as the version of Thor from Order of the Stick, the version of Loki from The Mask, the version of Ra from Stargate, the version of Kali from Temple of Doom and theoretically the version of Jesus from South Park(although most discussions of South Park would raise other acceptable use concerns) )
My original suggestion was "a god modeled after Kokopelli." So this would be even less direct than a fictionalized version. How can you possibly think that South Park Jesus would be more acceptable?

sigfile
2019-01-02, 11:20 AM
another possible Deity IMO would be our Lady Firehair, the Goddess Sune.
Her dogma revolves around nurturing and encouraging love and passion.
For although her clergy leans mostly into some kind of narcicisstic behaviour,
Her main premise is still love, beauty, and the beauty of life.
Basicaly the dnd version of Aphrodite, mixed with a bit of the egyptian goddess Hathor (or Heqet the former version of greeks Hecate)

Seconding this. If Sune is a bit too focused on beauty, Selűne may be a good fit, instead.

In the time of ancient Netheril, when she was a greater goddess, she held the portfolios of the moon, moonlight, and stars; beauty and purity; love and marriage; navigation and navigators; tracking, wanderers, and seekers; diviners and dreams; good and neutral lycanthropes; and autumn. Hers was the moon's mysterious power, the heavenly force that governed the world's tides and a mother's reproductive cycles, caused lycanthropes to shift form, and drew one to the brink of madness, and back again.