PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Gifts for your Friendly Local Gamer Friend

SunderedWorldDM
2018-12-15, 11:34 PM
As various holiday seasonal festivities are coming and going, I thought it might be nice to dedicate a thread to the following question: What are some good gifts for a gamer this year? They could be sourcebooks, accessories or even new games. Just something good to get for Christmas or Solstice of Hanukkah or Kwanzaa or whatever one may celebrate.

Please note: I'm trying to keep this as holiday-agnostic as possible, and I would ask that you do as well. In addition, this is not intended to be a place to advertise whatever product you may be trying to market. There's a thread for that. This is more a place to share opinions about recent RPG products and give our opinions on which make the best gifts.

I know I have some things to say about my choices among the recent Wizards releases, but I want to hear what opinions you all have. What sorts of resources for playing or DMing would you want this winter holiday?

ImproperJustice
2018-12-16, 01:06 AM
Personal Wish List:

Sixteen Stars by Kevin Crawford: A sourcebook for quick rolling sci-fi adventure locations. A great sandbox tool.

Gimmik’s Guide to Gadgets for Mutants and Masterminds 1e: Still my favorite supers game

If I had the income (which I don’t): the entire Stars Without Number 1e Omnibus.

And dice, can always, always use more dice.

Generic Gift ideas for any gamer:

Low End: Dice!
Cash for RPG websites. Cash for various D&D apps. Cash for various Roll 20 resources.
Paper and Pencil for the old school types.
Small dice trays and token sorters.

Mid to High:
The portable adventurers kit (storage box, converts to standing tray or gametable.

Various portable dungeon kits

A good dice tower and / or tray.

Aaron Underhand
2018-12-16, 02:16 AM
Good quality figure case... Just bought two for my older kids (30 and 28)...

TheMoxiousOne
2018-12-16, 08:51 AM
Low End: Dice!
Cash for RPG websites. Cash for various D&D apps. Cash for various Roll 20 resources.
Paper and Pencil for the old school types.
Small dice trays and token sorters.

Mid to High:
The portable adventurers kit (storage box, converts to standing tray or gametable.

Various portable dungeon kits

A good dice tower and / or tray.

All valid ideas! Where I am from, it's kind of become tradition that whenever I join a campaign, we all pool together (Usuallt I break down and do this myself) and buy the DM a dice set, so they tend to become dice that are meaningful, or at least something a bit smaller and thoughtful, like giving them our minis if we die, a mini for a recurring NPC, etc.

Good quality figure case... Just bought two for my older kids (30 and 28)...

First of all, best parent ever. Second, I keep throwiong all of mine into random boxes they fit in; new gift idea for myself now that I've run dry on my list of wants; cheers!

Keravath
2018-12-16, 09:23 AM
Metal dice appear to be popular :)

LudicSavant
2018-12-16, 09:52 AM
Mid to High:

I tried googling this and couldn't find something that converts to a standing tray or gametable. Got a link?

Jophiel
2018-12-16, 10:26 AM
Metal dice appear to be popular :)
And/or a nice dice tray so the metal dice don't dent anything when rolled (speaking as a person who rolls his metal dice on a pad of paper)

One the holiday is over and I can see how large I need, I plan to buy a basic nail polish display rack (https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/610n30kLXhL._SX425_.jpg) to keep my paints on rather than scattered between boxes.

ImproperJustice
2018-12-16, 07:39 PM
I tried googling this and couldn't find something that converts to a standing tray or gametable. Got a link?

My best attempt at posting a link:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tabletopartisans/the-adventurers-kit

I listen to a lot of rpg podcasts, and this has gotten advertised by a few.
I appear to have been mistaken about the table feature. I wanna say that was advertised as a feature in the early days of the kickstarter and maybe they dropped that feature for practical reasons.
Or it could just be my mistaken interpretation of the dice rolling space the lid creates.

wookietek
2018-12-16, 07:57 PM
I looked at the adventurer's kit, but was scared off by the price tag. $300+ is a bit steep for me to think about gaming accessories. They did, however, include all the dimensions on the page, and I do run a scene shop. So I know what my secret santa at the table is getting this year. Making the brackets for the tablets or char sheets will take some ingenuity, but I'm crafty so no worries.

Particle_Man
2018-12-17, 01:21 AM
Buy and paint a miniature of their favourite character. Or 3D print it.

If there is a game book that they looked at but then said was too expensive.

LudicSavant
2018-12-17, 03:48 AM
My best attempt at posting a link:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tabletopartisans/the-adventurers-kit

I listen to a lot of rpg podcasts, and this has gotten advertised by a few.
I appear to have been mistaken about the table feature. I wanna say that was advertised as a feature in the early days of the kickstarter and maybe they dropped that feature for practical reasons.
Or it could just be my mistaken interpretation of the dice rolling space the lid creates.

Aww, no standing tray/gametable :smallfrown: