PDA

View Full Version : Puzzled Old question: is the cloaked figure in 448 significant?

CriticalFailure
2018-12-16, 02:31 AM
When the Sapphire Guard defends the throne room, there seems to be exactly one mysterious cloaked figure present among the Paladins, wearing the same style of cloak that Miko and Belkar were seen wearing at one point. They aren't affected by the bouncy ball of insanity, but they are stabbed to death by one of the Paladins who was. The cloaked figure returned as a ghost-martyr, spoke to Soon, and was presumably turned by Redcloak off panel.

This might be a dumb question, but is this person supposed to be important or something? They stuck out as the only person present not to have any identifying features revealed, and they also got a little focus when the Paladins were skewering each other and again as a ghost-martyr Soon actually talks to.

ti'esar
2018-12-16, 02:46 AM
No, they're just a random Sapphire Guard member. If there was any reason at all for getting unusual screentime (could have been random), I'd bet it was just because Rich thought the design looked cool.

Yanisa
2018-12-16, 04:05 AM
There is a second cloaked paladin in the standaard "azure city paladin blue" way in the back right of 447. Although I cannot find him/her in the pile of corpse on page 448, you can see the ghost martyr version in 449.

I guess even some paladins like to be cloaked mysterious figures.

Fyraltari
2018-12-16, 06:58 AM
It's been 686 strips and eleven years since that character's last appearance, they had one line, did not do anything note-worthy and had no interaction with any except Soon who is dead and Xykon and that was as part of a group. Oh and they died twice and their body was 'presumably) blown to bit over an ennemy-occupied city. Also they had no name and no identifying feature.

Pretty sure they were olny there to had some flavor to the Sapphire Guard. After all these were all adventurers with their own epic quests, one would expect a variety of looks.

Gift Jeraff
2018-12-16, 11:31 AM
Rich's super badass and mysterious self-insert OC. :sigh:

Cazero
2018-12-16, 01:39 PM
What do you mean, no identifying features? His hood color is darker than the classic Azurite blue !

Fyraltari
2018-12-16, 01:41 PM
What do you mean, no identifying features? His hood color is darker than the classic Azurite blue !

Right, of course. (https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SuspectIsHatless)

Throknor
2018-12-16, 04:22 PM
It's been 686 strips and eleven years since that character's last appearance, they had one line, did not do anything note-worthy and had no interaction with any except Soon who is dead and Xykon and that was as part of a group. Oh and they died twice and their body was 'presumably) blown to bit over an ennemy-occupied city. Also they had no name and no identifying feature.
:elan: Well, that clinches hit. It's either Waldo or Redcloak's niece.

Emanick
2018-12-16, 04:29 PM
:elan: Well, that clinches hit. It's either Waldo or Redcloak's niece.

Why not both? :smallamused:

CriticalFailure
2018-12-16, 05:30 PM
Redcloak's niece confirmed as mysterious cloaked paladin and also Waldo. I feel like hiding Waldo under a blue cape is cheating.

I have now noticed there are actually 2 cloaked figures, one in a light blue cloak and one in a dark blue cloak. The light blue cape only appears barely, though. So that makes my question even dumber.

Aquillion
2018-12-17, 02:42 PM
It's been 686 strips and eleven years since that character's last appearance, they had one line, did not do anything note-worthy and had no interaction with any except Soon who is dead and Xykon and that was as part of a group. Oh and they died twice and their body was 'presumably) blown to bit over an ennemy-occupied city. Also they had no name and no identifying feature.So what you're saying is that they're definitely going to come back in the final confrontation, throwing off their cloak to reveal that they're Trigak.

Fyraltari
2018-12-17, 03:40 PM
So what you're saying is that they're definitely going to come back in the final confrontation, throwing off their cloak to reveal that they're Trigak.

Of course not. Redcloak's niece would never enlist into the sapphire Guard.

Aquillion
2018-12-17, 03:54 PM
Of course not. Redcloak's niece would never enlist into the sapphire Guard.I think she had to after her cover as That Guy With A Halberd was blown.

martianmister
2018-12-17, 08:07 PM
She's Tessa Esuer, one of the most famous impersonators in southern hemisphere.

CriticalFailure
2018-12-19, 02:18 PM
The Order will clearly defeat Redcloak by revealing that his niece was in the Sapphire Guard, which of course will be the straw that broke the camel's mental stability.

Gift Jeraff
2018-12-19, 04:00 PM
The Order will clearly defeat Redcloak by revealing that his niece was in the Sapphire Guard, which of course will be the straw that broke the camel's mental stability.

Why would V care about Redcloak's niece?

Grey_Wolf_c
2018-12-19, 04:10 PM
Why would V care about Redcloak's niece?

We don't nitpick any theory involving RedCloak's niece.

It's like, in the charter, or something.

Grey Wolf

Peelee
2018-12-19, 04:15 PM
Of course not. Redcloak's niece would never enlist into the sapphire Guard.

Which makes it the perfect cover!

JonahFalcon
2018-12-19, 08:19 PM
Wait. Where's Waldo?

Jasdoif
2018-12-19, 08:22 PM
Wait. Where's Waldo?He's there in the first panel of 312 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0312.html), mentoring his fellow Ninja School student in the next panel.

Caerulea
2018-12-19, 11:05 PM
He's there in the first panel of 312 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0312.html), mentoring his fellow Ninja School student in the next panel.
That restaurant should be run by these ninjas. (http://freefall.purrsia.com/ff1100/fv01093.htm)

Jasdoif
2018-12-20, 12:04 AM
That restaurant should be run by these ninjas. (http://freefall.purrsia.com/ff1100/fv01093.htm)Nah...T.G.I.Wednesdays doesn't specialize in French cuisine (http://freefall.purrsia.com/ff1100/fv01077.htm); the concept seems more suited for opening for a new establishment.

Well, I suppose it's possible "French cuisine" is a subset of the "Northern-style food" T.G.I.Wednesdays features.
(I'm torn between which of "What is this France you speak of?" and "French...that's what those fries are called, right?" would be more accurate for the setting.) The tears hurt.

Darth V
2019-01-15, 05:46 AM
So what you're saying is that they're definitely going to come back in the final confrontation, throwing off their cloak to reveal that they're Trigak.

You misspelled Trigak's spouse.

Morty
2019-01-15, 06:12 AM
I remember someone theorizing they were the spirit of Miko's paladinhood, back in the day. I'm not sure if they were joking. That was a wild time.