PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Using Rokugan's clans as star signs. What months/time of year do they represent?

Luccan
2018-12-16, 03:53 AM
For a (3.5 updated) OA setting, I thought it would be fun to use Rokugan's major clans included in the book as star signs that reside over each month or certain times of the year. Essentially, being born under a certain one gives you a permanent class skill (instead of linking the benefit exclusively to humans of nobility). While I may change the animals associated with the signs, the traits associated with the Rokugan clans are said to be associated with the star signs (which are also among the 12 major spirits in the setting). As such, I'm trying to figure out around what times of year each sign might appear. I've already decided the Unicorn (or whatever animal replaces it as a sign) is transient; like the clan, those born to the Unicorn tend to be outsiders, foreigners, and/or nomads, so the sign (an intelligent spirit, as the rest are) appears as it likes, superseding the expected sign quite suddenly and sometimes disappearing in the same night. So, what do you think? What time of year might the graceful Crane appear? Or the serious Crab? I welcome all suggestions

TL;DR: I'm trying to figure out when to have certain star signs based on Rokugan's major clans appear, based on the associated characteristics and personality traits of the clan/sign. Any suggestions?

Faily
2018-12-16, 09:58 AM
For a (3.5 updated) OA setting, I thought it would be fun to use Rokugan's major clans included in the book as star signs that reside over each month or certain times of the year. Essentially, being born under a certain one gives you a permanent class skill (instead of linking the benefit exclusively to humans of nobility). While I may change the animals associated with the signs, the traits associated with the Rokugan clans are said to be associated with the star signs (which are also among the 12 major spirits in the setting). As such, I'm trying to figure out around what times of year each sign might appear. I've already decided the Unicorn (or whatever animal replaces it as a sign) is transient; like the clan, those born to the Unicorn tend to be outsiders, foreigners, and/or nomads, so the sign (an intelligent spirit, as the rest are) appears as it likes, superseding the expected sign quite suddenly and sometimes disappearing in the same night. So, what do you think? What time of year might the graceful Crane appear? Or the serious Crab? I welcome all suggestions

TL;DR: I'm trying to figure out when to have certain star signs based on Rokugan's major clans appear, based on the associated characteristics and personality traits of the clan/sign. Any suggestions?

In Rokugan, the months are already associated with the clans by their High Rokugani names, which use the names of the founding Kami for each month (in the more common day-to-day usage, they use the old animal names, which also have regional variations).

Common names: Hare, Dragon, Serpent, Horse, Goat, Monkey, Rooster, Dog, Boar, Rat, Ox, Tiger.
High Rokugani names: Sun, Moon, Hantei, Akodo, Doji, Shiba, Bayushi, Shinjo, Hida, Togashi, Fu Length, The Tenth Kami

So we need some animals for the Sun, Moon, Hantei, Fu Leng, and Tenth Kami months, so we could have something like:
Rooster (often affiliated with sun-motifs) or Centipede (because of the sun-worshipping minor clan in Rokugan)
Rabbit or Hare (strongly affiliated with moon in Japan and China)
Owl (in Imperial Histories 2, the alternative timeline where Togashi becomes Emperor has Hantei found the Owl clan)
Spider (because of Fu Leng-worshippers eventually becoming the Spider Clan in Rokugan)
Boar (since the minor clan that was tasked with guarding the Tenth Kami's resting place in Rokugan was the Boar clan)

So new lineup:
Rooster/Centipede, Rabbit/Hare, Owl, Lion, Crane, Phoenix, Scorpion, Ki-rin/Unicorn, Crab, Dragon, Spider, Boar

Spring months (the beginning of the year): Rooster/Centipede, Rabbit/Hare, Owl
Summer months: Lion, Crane, Phoenix
Autumn months: Scorpion, Ki-rin/Unicorn, Cran
Winter months: Dragon, Spider, Boar

As per Winter Court: Kyuden Asako, Rokugan also has a cycle similar to the Chinese Zodiac, with each year being associated with an animal and an element. This could also be a factor in what sort of "perks" a person has?

Luccan
2018-12-16, 11:02 PM
In Rokugan, the months are already associated with the clans by their High Rokugani names, which use the names of the founding Kami for each month (in the more common day-to-day usage, they use the old animal names, which also have regional variations).

Common names: Hare, Dragon, Serpent, Horse, Goat, Monkey, Rooster, Dog, Boar, Rat, Ox, Tiger.
High Rokugani names: Sun, Moon, Hantei, Akodo, Doji, Shiba, Bayushi, Shinjo, Hida, Togashi, Fu Length, The Tenth Kami

So we need some animals for the Sun, Moon, Hantei, Fu Leng, and Tenth Kami months, so we could have something like:
Rooster (often affiliated with sun-motifs) or Centipede (because of the sun-worshipping minor clan in Rokugan)
Rabbit or Hare (strongly affiliated with moon in Japan and China)
Owl (in Imperial Histories 2, the alternative timeline where Togashi becomes Emperor has Hantei found the Owl clan)
Spider (because of Fu Leng-worshippers eventually becoming the Spider Clan in Rokugan)
Boar (since the minor clan that was tasked with guarding the Tenth Kami's resting place in Rokugan was the Boar clan)

So new lineup:
Rooster/Centipede, Rabbit/Hare, Owl, Lion, Crane, Phoenix, Scorpion, Ki-rin/Unicorn, Crab, Dragon, Spider, Boar

Spring months (the beginning of the year): Rooster/Centipede, Rabbit/Hare, Owl
Summer months: Lion, Crane, Phoenix
Autumn months: Scorpion, Ki-rin/Unicorn, Cran
Winter months: Dragon, Spider, Boar

As per Winter Court: Kyuden Asako, Rokugan also has a cycle similar to the Chinese Zodiac, with each year being associated with an animal and an element. This could also be a factor in what sort of "perks" a person has?

Oh, nice. I wasn't aware they had already done this in Rokugan. Thanks!