PDA

View Full Version : DM Help [KoK] In the Planning stages of a Guardians of the Hidden Flame Campaign...

Blackhawk748
2018-12-16, 04:15 PM
...and I could use a hand.

Ok, so a bit of background for those who don't know Kingdoms of Kalamar. The Guardians of the Hidden Flame are an organization that works against the current line of Kalamarian Emperors. They remain loyal to the Inakas line of Emperors (who are technically dead) and most likely also snuck off with the the Imperial Trappings and the Sword of Kings. They are most known for delivering a Silver Dragon Coin to the Imperial Palace on the birthday every year of the last Inakas Emperor.

Now I have an overarching plot of pitting the Guardians vs the Blue Salamanders (an organization bent on World Domination, I have Emperor Kabori being a high ranking member) with one of the PCs being the proper reincarnation of Emperor Thedorus Inakas. I just have a few issues.

1. I want to give the PC the Sword of Kings, but I have no idea what to make it. The sword is a transformed Paladin who was loyal to Thedorus, so I'm thinking Intelligent weapon. I have, however, never made an Intelligent Weapon before, so help on this would be appreciated.

2. Where do I start the PCs? Im going with either Tharggy or Pekal. Tharggy is safer, as Kabori isn't going after them right now, but Pekal lets me just throw them right into things.

3. Just general advice on running a game of this type. I have rarely, if ever, run a game like this. The closest is my current Star Wars game where the PCs turned themselves into big movers in the Clone Wars. This is still different as one is The Chosen One. So ya, advice.

As always, thanks for the assitance, its appreciated.

Palanan
2018-12-16, 11:20 PM
Have your players rolled up characters yet, and have you decided which character will be the Chosen One? (Chug!)

Some players will deal with it better than others, so I'm wondering if you've thought about which player will be handling this role.

thorr-kan
2018-12-16, 11:58 PM
Can't offer advice on the Chosen One. My Al-Qadim campaign has the entire party be the object of the prophecy, not one of them. Sorry.

However...in the context of the KoK discussion that's been occurring on this board lately, a Weapon of Legacy might be appropriate for your Sword of Kings? That way it grows as the potential Emperor does.

Fizban
2018-12-17, 01:10 AM
Never ever Weapons of Legacy. Underpowered weapons that leech points off of the character and still cost money to upgrade unless you take the special prestige class which still doesn't make them sufficiently powerful.

Take the page out of Unearthed Arcana if you want weapons that grow with the user, srd link (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/legendaryWeapons.htm). Make weapon, prestige class advances weapon and adds "weapon" abilities you find level appropriate, done. There were 3rd party books full of items using this system, but they seem to have vanished from the internet.

Blackhawk748
2018-12-17, 06:41 AM
Have your players rolled up characters yet, and have you decided which character will be the Chosen One? (Chug!)

Some players will deal with it better than others, so I'm wondering if you've thought about which player will be handling this role.

No they havent and I have one in mind. Onviously I'm gonna run it by them first.

Can't offer advice on the Chosen One. My Al-Qadim campaign has the entire party be the object of the prophecy, not one of them. Sorry.

However...in the context of the KoK discussion that's been occurring on this board lately, a Weapon of Legacy might be appropriate for your Sword of Kings? That way it grows as the potential Emperor does.

Never ever Weapons of Legacy. Underpowered weapons that leech points off of the character and still cost money to upgrade unless you take the special prestige class which still doesn't make them sufficiently powerful.

Take the page out of Unearthed Arcana if you want weapons that grow with the user, srd link (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/legendaryWeapons.htm). Make weapon, prestige class advances weapon and adds "weapon" abilities you find level appropriate, done. There were 3rd party books full of items using this system, but they seem to have vanished from the internet.

I thought about that, as I like Weapons of Legacy (mostly because the only costs I make people pay are monetary and the quest) but the Sword of Kings is a stated item in KoK, like, it'd probably be a Minor Artifact if i was being honest. I was just gonna have it grow with him anyway by just telling him that it occasionally gets a new power as he gets more "in tune with it"