PDA

View Full Version : DM Help What are the best DM resources?

Chronos
2018-12-16, 09:03 PM
Yes, that's pretty open-ended. But I've been procrastinating my Christmas shopping, and one of my friends DMs a lot, and would probably appreciate some good resources. He's been doing this for a long time (since back before D&D had editions), so he's got all of the non-edition-specific stuff down pat, but things like monster stats and adventure modules would probably be good. It doesn't need to be official Wizards of the Coast material (he's lamented the paucity of official WotC 5e materials, in the past). I don't know exactly what he has already, beyond the core rulebooks, but I'll call his wife up tomorrow to ask.

Jophiel
2018-12-16, 09:06 PM
If he needs monster stats, I recently bought Kobold Press' Creature Codex and am rather impressed with it. I assume their earlier Tome of Beasts is equally impressive.

Brutalitops
2018-12-16, 09:11 PM
It depends on what he wants. If you think your friend would enjoy 400 new monsters nobody has ever heard off you could get him tome of beasts from kobold press. Its a fun book with a lot of monsters. Creature Codex is also pretty good from the same company but Tome of beasts I think is the overall better book by a very slight margin. But both books are amazing.

However if your friend is complaining about how little stuff their is in 5th edition then he is probably a veteran of the game and would want to see something new.

If what he wants is a cool addition to the world of 5e that is not covered by the official rules would suggest Matt Covilles new book strongholds and followers. It is designed to replicate the feel of the early books where adventurers could each run their own castles and have followers that help them out. It has a bunch of really epic monsters with incredible art (Angels in it are Dope) that are specifically designed for the players to summon and a bunch of cool abilities and features for each class in the book if they build a stronghold . I recommend this one because it sounds like your friend has been playing for a while so this would be something new and exiting for him that calls back to earlier editions.Also I can guarantee he does not have the book as it was released like a few days ago.

Chronos
2018-12-19, 10:27 AM
OK, it looks like I'm going with the Tome of Beasts, which also seems to be well-regarded by other forumites. Thanks, guys.

noob
2018-12-19, 03:34 PM
Maybe there is compilations of high quality 5e homebrew then you can print some of that homebrew?
Or maybe there is no 5e homebrew reviewers that centralize the data.
Alternatively take 4e essentials: you can use all the dnd 5e content, classes, mechanics and rules with 4e essentials and then you can also use all the 4e content and all the dnd 1e and dnd 2e and advanced dnd and odnd and dnd 3.0 content as well because it is all allowed.
The only problem is that using 4e essentials makes you take 1d9.87 psichic damage per turn.

ImproperJustice
2018-12-19, 04:48 PM
Something worth looking at could be Stars Without Number.

It’s Sci-Fi, but it’s GM resource section for quick roll npcs, adventure seeds, conflict generator, and faction system can easily be refluffed and used for just about any system.

One of the best products of its kind honestly. And free to boot.

Chronos
2018-12-20, 09:51 AM
Free resources are great, but I'm not going to give something free for a Christmas gift; I'm just going to point them out anyway. Anyway, I've already ordered it (though I actually went with Creature Codex instead of Tome of Beasts, since it sounds like they're comparable quality, and it was only $30 instead of $45).