PDA

View Full Version : DM input sought for a warlock's pact. Is this too easy?

Cyclops08
2018-12-16, 09:57 PM
The Pact.
This is a pact made with a Great Old One. As a DM, how would you work with this? Is it too easy? I’m thinking this will appeal to good aligned warlocks with low wisdom.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eons ago there was a brilliant Gold Dragon. He reached the heights of power. He favored High elves and sired a line of dragon sorcerers that exists to this day.

The Dragon was ambitious and his power rose to the point of immortality. He strove even harder and attempted to reach deity status…and failed. Now his moldering corpse floats somewhere in the astral plane. But. He is not dead yet. His mind reaches out seeking those who would serve him. He grants power and urges adventuring. He asks little, only that his minions place a scale of his in places of power.

There will always be a golden dragon scale in the possession of his minion. The minion merely drops a single scale and it will melt into the floor. The minion will find another scale in his possession a week later.

Places of power could be an evil temple that the players clean out. It could be a tomb of the mighty filled with undead guardians. A palace, a good temple, a court of men, a druid’s circle, many places could be a center of power. Adventurers are the perfect vessels to reach such sites of power.

The dragon’s name has long been forgotten. Even the dragon has forgotten his name. All he wants is to return to the living once again, where he can do good, speak with his beloved elves, and reach for his ultimate goal. The dragon is willing to trade power for simple acts that will bring him back into the world.

Or so he says. His minions have only seen him in dreams and visions. Is he really a dragon?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am reminded of 2nd Conan movie where he quested to bring the sleeping god to life and a monstrosity erupted instead.

OK Pimp my pact. Would this be acceptable in your campaign?

Vekon
2018-12-16, 10:14 PM
Seems fine. Patrons giving any task to their Warlocks is cool for flavor. The one you've presented here is cryptic and subtle enough that it most certainly makes since for a GOO. Some DMs don't have things like this with their Warlocks at all, and IMO it seems like a lost opportunity.

lunaticfringe
2018-12-16, 10:19 PM
It's simple. It's open as to what you are actually doing. It's doesn't require you to actively disrupt or betray the party. You don't have any idea what this entity actually is.

I definitely could work with this, seems fine.

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-12-16, 10:54 PM
It seems cool enough. When your PC's are talking about this they'll give you insights into their concerns and fears leading you in a direction to take it.

Cyclops08
2018-12-17, 07:32 AM
Thanks guys. A little feedback goes a long way.

KorvinStarmast
2018-12-17, 09:10 AM
Is this a Great Old One idea, or are you going to build it to include bonus spells and various sub class/patron features in parallel to the features each patron offers?

PS: love it, by the way. :smallbiggrin:

Unoriginal
2018-12-17, 10:22 AM
Well, outside of the story sounding somewhat more fitting for an Undying Patron than a GOO one, I'd say it's fine.

Cyclops08
2018-12-17, 10:53 AM
Is this a Great Old One idea, or are you going to build it to include bonus spells and various sub class/patron features in parallel to the features each patron offers?

PS: love it, by the way. :smallbiggrin:
This is a Great Old One idea. It is made to use existing features of the pact. The key is the uncertainty. It could be exactly as it claims...or it could be an eldritch horror looking to enter the world.

I simply cannot see a warlock having a very high wisdom, or he would never make a pact like this (or any of them for that matter). My warlock has bought the story and thinks he is doing a good thing.

Cyclops08
2018-12-17, 11:04 AM
in fact I'm thinking seriously about making him a var human and buying the Magic initiate feat with Cleric spells. I will claim the feat came as part of the Pact.

I would have no healing, but I could Bless once a day and get Guidance and Spare the Dying. None of these would require any rolls or saves and would help the party. Again, he thinks he is doing a good thing with all of this...and he might be - or not.

I'm not sure where to go further...either to get the cool Familiars with Chains or the Tome and get ritual spells.

Unoriginal
2018-12-17, 11:12 AM
This is a Great Old One idea. It is made to use existing features of the pact. The key is the uncertainty. It could be exactly as it claims...or it could be an eldritch horror looking to enter the world.

I simply cannot see a warlock having a very high wisdom, or he would never make a pact like this (or any of them for that matter). My warlock has bought the story and thinks he is doing a good thing.

Not all Warlock pacts are bad for the Warlock, y'know. The more foolish the warlock, the more foolish the pact. You can get some Patrons to grant you a spark of power for cheap and then they never bother you again.

Trampaige
2018-12-17, 12:26 PM
There is nothing mechanically built into warlocks that punishes you based on having a pact or puts requirements on you. It's all DM storytelling. One could also argue that if a player is expected to do elaborate tasks just for being a warlock, you should ask the same of clerics, paladins, etc.

It seems fine as a great old one. It definitely raises some questions as to the validity of the message, given the powers and spells the patron grants. Hopefully the party will pick up on that and it will lead to interesting conversations and plot lines.

KorvinStarmast
2018-12-17, 12:31 PM
in fact I'm thinking seriously about making him a var human and buying the Magic initiate feat with Cleric spells. I will claim the feat came as part of the Pact.

I would have no healing, but I could Bless once a day and get Guidance and Spare the Dying. None of these would require any rolls or saves and would help the party. Again, he thinks he is doing a good thing with all of this...and he might be - or not.

I'm not sure where to go further...either to get the cool Familiars with Chains or the Tome and get ritual spells. Good plan, love it. Gold Dragons are generally of Good alignment; those feat spell choices fit perfectly.