PDA

View Full Version : Best quality miniatures for D&D?

Uncumber
2018-12-17, 01:32 AM
Hey everyone,

Firstly, I hope this is in the correct forum. I posted it here because my question is a little D&D related. But if it is incorrect then big apologies!

Question is pretty much in the title. I'm wondering where you guys might go to find the absolute best quality miniatures for use in D&D - if you use minis at all!

I'm a fairly avid mini collector myself, but I'm still finding out about small, amazing companies I'd never heard of before, especially Kickstarters, as they're often so small they sort of fly under the radar.

Anyway I'll start off, in no particular order, I'd say some of the best miniatures are...

Kingdom Death - absurdly pricey, and some are a little 'pinup-ey', but the quality is second to none.
Malifaux - a little steampunky for classic D&D, though lots of models do still work. Very imaginative poses.
GTStudioCreations - these guys only make Orc (and some Goblin) models, but they're the best Orc models ever made.
Raging Heroes - again quite 'pinup-ey', but great poses and quality sculpts.
Hero Forge - worth an honorable mention, as you can create (virtually) whatever mini you can imagine! Only let down by the detail and the 3D-printing process.
Ring Sun - Kickstarter project with absolutely beautiful oriental inspired minis.

I could go on a little but I don't want this to be a 'miniatures review' post - I'd love to hear your guys opinions!

Gryndle
2018-12-17, 07:42 AM
I tend to use Reaper minis. the metal minis are good quality but can be pricey. They do have a plastic ("Bones") line of minis which is much more affordable but you lose a little in detail. So I buy metal minis for PCs or specific baddies that are going to be used for an entire campaign, and then buy the "Bones" plastic minis for mass baddies or big monsters (the larger the mini, the less detail you lose).

Ofcourse, all these come unpainted. Which for me is a plus.

Laserlight
2018-12-17, 07:48 AM
We've converted to 1" disk tokens, but when we were using miniatures they were almost all Reaper Bones. Not too pricey and sculpted to be easy to paint.

SpanielBear
2018-12-17, 07:54 AM
If you are feeling flush with cash (or have a second hobby more expensive than a drug habit. Hello, my name is SpanielBear and I am a wargamer...), warhammer models are a possibility. Good quality for the most part, and you can get a surprising variety of poses/characters using kitbashing or bits from online, like Victoria Minatures or Pig Iron for heads and stuff.

But your wallet will *hate* you.

Uncumber
2018-12-17, 08:27 AM
If you are feeling flush with cash (or have a second hobby more expensive than a drug habit. Hello, my name is SpanielBear and I am a wargamer...), warhammer models are a possibility. Good quality for the most part, and you can get a surprising variety of poses/characters using kitbashing or bits from online, like Victoria Minatures or Pig Iron for heads and stuff.

But your wallet will *hate* you.

Aaaah, Warhammer models. I could write an essay on how I feel about them! The thing is, I find their quality so variable, even amongst their newer releases. Some of the models are really dynamic looking, whilst others look really, uh, 'boring' - like they were made fifteen years ago. Also, I'm not really sold on how there are so few females in the range, granted, it is getting slightly better nowadays, but even so I think it's pretty dreadful. And what's more, hmm, 70%+ of the females have really appalling faces in comparison to what other manufacturers minis are looking like nowadays. Having said all that though, I agree that some of the models are amazingly good!

Regarding Reaper Minis (I'm sorry, I still don't know how to quote multiple people!) - correct me if I'm wrong, I probably am, but I thought the Reapermini website just grouped together a whole bunch of other manufacturers? I didn't think Reaper made any miniatures themselves? EDIT: after some looking, it appears I am completely wrong about all this! :smallbiggrin: After skimming through their collection just now, I've gotta say I do like the sheer variety and size of their range, but the lack of detail/crispness would bother me a little I think. Would definitely work for npcs and monsters - not so sure about the player characters though.

SpanielBear
2018-12-17, 09:26 AM
Aaaah, Warhammer models. I could write an essay on how I feel about them! The thing is, I find their quality so variable, even amongst their newer releases. Some of the models are really dynamic looking, whilst others look really, uh, 'boring' - like they were made fifteen years ago. Also, I'm not really sold on how there are so few females in the range, granted, it is getting slightly better nowadays, but even so I think it's pretty dreadful. And what's more, hmm, 70%+ of the females have really appalling faces in comparison to what other manufacturers minis are looking like nowadays. Having said all that though, I agree that some of the models are amazingly good!

You are completely correct about the lack of female models in warhammer, and it is intensely frustrating (along with allied annoyances such as why does every woman going into combat apparently need high-heeled boots?).

Hence why I mentioned bits sites, the advantage there is that because for all its faults Warhammer is so popular, most separate model pieces are designed by 3rd party companies to be compatible. I mentioned Victoria minatures specifically because female heads is something they’re good at.

Uncumber
2018-12-17, 12:06 PM
You are completely correct about the lack of female models in warhammer, and it is intensely frustrating (along with allied annoyances such as why does every woman going into combat apparently need high-heeled boots?).

Hence why I mentioned bits sites, the advantage there is that because for all its faults Warhammer is so popular, most separate model pieces are designed by 3rd party companies to be compatible. I mentioned Victoria minatures specifically because female heads is something they’re good at.

Wow, I hadn't heard of Victoria Miniatures before, this is exactly why I made this thread :smallsmile: Their stuff really isn't bad, those 'bits' could indeed be really useful, thank you for the heads up!

DaveOfTheDead
2018-12-17, 12:59 PM
I've recently come across Dark Swords Miniatures online and, albeit a bit pricey for one mini (~$12), the quality and detail are fantastic. There are a large variety to choose from and they show painted and unpainted examples.

Heads up, they are metal miniatures.

Dankus Memakus
2018-12-17, 01:06 PM
I tend to prefer nolzors marvelous minis. I feel like they paint really well and are not crazy expensive. If I were to shell out 20 bucks though I'd go with heroforge so I could make em look however I wanted.

Edit: just saw you made a comment about heroforge minis detail, fairly recently they fixed up their cheapest option and I think it's pretty worthwhile now.

Uncumber
2018-12-17, 01:18 PM
I tend to prefer nolzors marvelous minis. I feel like they paint really well and are not crazy expensive. If I were to shell out 20 bucks though I'd go with heroforge so I could make em look however I wanted.

Edit: just saw you made a comment about heroforge minis detail, fairly recently they fixed up their cheapest option and I think it's pretty worthwhile now.

Hmm, I think Nolzur's are kinda a weird bunch - I mean the detail is definitely there, and they're pretty 'crisp', but I just think the poses and, well, their designs in general - are sort of uninspired.

Heroforge on the other hand I agree are amaaaazing. I genuinely think anybody who's in to minis should at least check them out. HOWEVER, the printing quality just isn't as good as a cast model, it just cant hold as much detail, and you get the 'striping' effect - buuuuut, that isn't very noticable, just something to consider.

Regarding Dark Sword miniatures (could someone please kindly tell me how to quote multiple people?, I feel dumb, but I honestly can't see how) - Dark Sword minis are pretty good! Again I'm not completely sold on the poses/designs of some of them, but then some others are really stand-out.

edit: I didn't see your edit about Heroforge changing anything up... I've only ever ordered the 'premium plastic'. And I mean, hmm, I'd say it's good, BUT it's still 3D printed. The striping is still visible, albeit not very noticable - just more so than the zero striping on a cast model. Also, the detail of the actual designs isn't great, I mean, they've got a pretty 'cartoony' vibe going for their models - big, bold and simple designs rather than intricate patterns or, well, 'details'. I don't mind this really, but I do think it adds up a bit to leave you with a marginally less quality mini than one of the other top brands. But I mean, I love them, so I'm not trying to sound too negative.

Jophiel
2018-12-17, 04:22 PM
Speaking of Heroforge, there's also DesktopHero (http://desktophero3d.com/) which is supposed to be getting a UI overhaul and a bunch of new assets this spring (they had a Kickstarter over the summer). Right now it doesn't seem to offer as much detail as HF but you can pose any figure however you want by moving its skeleton. Also the STL files are free to export although you're on your own to get the figures printed.

Not really a polished competitor to Heroforge yet but might be worth keeping an eye or on checking in with them this spring.

(I own a couple HF minis which I'm very fond of so none of this is a dig at HF; I just like seeing more potential options in the field)

Uncumber
2018-12-17, 04:25 PM
Speaking of Heroforge, there's also DesktopHero (http://desktophero3d.com/) which is supposed to be getting a UI overhaul and a bunch of new assets this spring (they had a Kickstarter over the summer). Right now it doesn't seem to offer as much detail as HF but you can pose any figure however you want by moving its skeleton. Also the STL files are free to export although you're on your own to get the figures printed.

Not really a polished competitor to Heroforge yet but might be worth keeping an eye or on checking in with them this spring.

(I own a couple HF minis which I'm very fond of so none of this is a dig at HF; I just like seeing more potential options in the field)

Oh what, I've never heard of DesktopHero at all, I'm going to check that out right this second, thanks so much for the information! Edit: After looking - it's a shame about the lack of detail, because they've really got something going for them with the variety of options and especially (like you've said) the full customisation of the poses. Sadly the detail really doesn't even hold a torch to Heroforge though. Ah well, you're absolutely right, definitely one to keep an eye on.

MadBear
2018-12-17, 04:40 PM
Best quality miniatures: Warhammer

You just can't beat their detail. With that said, I find them overpriced, and they have their own aesthetic that doesn't appeal to me most of the time.

Good quality miniatures: Reaper (metal)

Quality is a bit all over the place. Some of their mini's are gorgeous, some atrocious. Still decent price and good variety.

Good quality/quantity: Massive Darkness (board game)

the kickstarter version of this game comes with a great number of miniatures. What's nice, is that you get a good amount of baddies for DM's, and in the right quantities. So for example, I got a ton of goblins and orcs, (who you want in high quantity) and single bigger monsters (who you only need 1 of).

their detail is pretty good, and it comes with a fun board game to boot.

Ok quality: Reaper (plastic)

same as Reaper (metal) with a small step down in quality. On the bright side, plastic chips less easily then metal.

Jophiel
2018-12-17, 05:41 PM
After looking - it's a shame about the lack of detail, because they've really got something going for them with the variety of options and especially (like you've said) the full customisation of the poses.
Yeah. I think part of the KS goals was to get professionally done assets so I'm hopeful that they can one day compete in that arena. They're definitely not there yet but it's probably worth adding to your bookmarks and checking on them next spring or every six months or something.

Uncumber
2018-12-17, 06:03 PM
Best quality miniatures: Warhammer

You just can't beat their detail. With that said, I find them overpriced, and they have their own aesthetic that doesn't appeal to me most of the time.

Good quality miniatures: Reaper (metal)

Quality is a bit all over the place. Some of their mini's are gorgeous, some atrocious. Still decent price and good variety.

Good quality/quantity: Massive Darkness (board game)

the kickstarter version of this game comes with a great number of miniatures. What's nice, is that you get a good amount of baddies for DM's, and in the right quantities. So for example, I got a ton of goblins and orcs, (who you want in high quantity) and single bigger monsters (who you only need 1 of).

their detail is pretty good, and it comes with a fun board game to boot.

Ok quality: Reaper (plastic)

same as Reaper (metal) with a small step down in quality. On the bright side, plastic chips less easily then metal.

Hmm, I'm not sure I agree with you about the Warhammer minis! They're very good quality, and good detail too - but I think you certainly see better (albeit fairly rarely) if you look hard enough around.

But wow, thank you for mentioning Massive Darkness! I'd never heard of it before, and it's exactly the sort of thing I've been looking to find!
Looking at the pictures, the miniatures look really pretty damn good. I genuinely may end up ordering some of these, as you've said it really does look ideal for getting a few 'baddies'. Although actually some of the heroes in it are pretty impressive too!

NaughtyTiger
2018-12-17, 08:57 PM
The Massive Darkness minis are gorgeous. you can pick up individuals on ebay or the packs online...

Kalashak
2018-12-17, 11:22 PM
I'd also suggest Massive Darkness, I got the core game (that's 75 minis) for 45 dollars on Ebay a few weeks ago and there are a ton of expansions

MadBear
2018-12-18, 01:44 AM
Hmm, I'm not sure I agree with you about the Warhammer minis! They're very good quality, and good detail too - but I think you certainly see better (albeit fairly rarely) if you look hard enough around.

Oh, I'm sure if you look around you can find better quality. I just meant from the miniatures I've personally bought/used.

Pauly
2018-12-18, 01:53 AM
Grenadier had the best expanded 25mm figures. If you can pick up some second hand they would be my first choice.

Think GW, but clean sculpts. None of the over exaggerated weaponry and no endless skulls sculpted onto every flat surface. Beautiful figures to paint.

MadBear
2018-12-18, 10:56 AM
Grenadier had the best expanded 25mm figures. If you can pick up some second hand they would be my first choice.

Think GW, but clean sculpts. None of the over exaggerated weaponry and no endless skulls sculpted onto every flat surface. Beautiful figures to paint.

wait, miniatures can have flat surfaces without an overabundance of skulls? Khorne will not be happy about this.

LordNibbler
2018-12-18, 12:25 PM
wait, miniatures can have flat surfaces without an overabundance of skulls? Khorne will not be happy about this.

I love this.
We are currently playing out the WH Fantasy End Times story using a combination of Age of Sigmar rules for army battles and 5e rpg. It’s a blast.

Demonslayer666
2018-12-18, 01:01 PM
Pathfinder Deep Cuts deserves a mention. I hope they come out with more stuff soon.

Pauly
2018-12-18, 07:31 PM

You have no idea just how happy it made me to go from painting GW to Grenadier. The fact that I could detail the model in the way I wanted was such a glorious feeling.

Plus they had some super cool figures, dwarves on bear cavalry, barbarians on a wooly rhino (my personal favorite), and undead mammoths.

SpanielBear
2018-12-19, 03:37 AM
You have no idea just how happy it made me to go from painting GW to Grenadier. The fact that I could detail the model in the way I wanted was such a glorious feeling.

Plus they had some super cool figures, dwarves on bear cavalry, barbarians on a wooly rhino (my personal favorite), and undead mammoths.

I’ve only ever really been able to play warhammer at GW stores, and they tend not to allow models that have non-GW bits to be used. So while I am very aware of all the alternate manufacturers, and have wistfully looked at other people’s conversions online, I’ve never really branched out.

Now thoughI am modelling for D&D and a home game rather than in store, it’s interesting that I still keep following the “rule” of GW bits only, it’s such an ingrained habit. And honestly, I actually quite enjoy the challenge of making something entirely new from a (relatively) limited pallet. But I have also had the opportunity to try some new things, like reaper, like arcane scenery (metal models, good for animals and cheapish if you live in the UK), and that’s been fun too. And I certainly will be going to other sites if I’m making character models for other players, or if female npcs are needed ‘cause yeah, GW has some glaring limitations.

So while I do feel defensive of the company I’ve followed for over 20 years now, I think I definitely recognise a lot of that is familiarity and habit, rather than an objective assessment.

But secretly I love the skulls.

Pauly
2018-12-19, 05:08 AM
I’ve only ever really been able to play warhammer at GW stores, and they tend not to allow models that have non-GW bits to be used. So while I am very aware of all the alternate manufacturers, and have wistfully looked at other people’s conversions online, I’ve never really branched out.

Now thoughI am modelling for D&D and a home game rather than in store, it’s interesting that I still keep following the “rule” of GW bits only, it’s such an ingrained habit. And honestly, I actually quite enjoy the challenge of making something entirely new from a (relatively) limited pallet. But I have also had the opportunity to try some new things, like reaper, like arcane scenery (metal models, good for animals and cheapish if you live in the UK), and that’s been fun too. And I certainly will be going to other sites if I’m making character models for other players, or if female npcs are needed ‘cause yeah, GW has some glaring limitations.

So while I do feel defensive of the company I’ve followed for over 20 years now, I think I definitely recognise a lot of that is familiarity and habit, rather than an objective assessment.

But secretly I love the skulls.

It looks like the sculpts have been bought by Mirliton so they are still available.

iirc Mark Copplestone and some other ex-GW sculptors designed the range, and they are fully compatible with GW figures, at least in terms of size

Uncumber
2018-12-19, 06:06 AM
It looks like the sculpts have been bought by Mirliton so they are still available.

iirc Mark Coppkestone and some other ex-GW sculptors designed the range, and they are fully compatible with GW figures, at least in terms of size

So much great information in this thread, thanks so much guys! I'd also like to add that if you're mixing different lines together for conversion, often it's just a case of trial and error rather than simply matching the scale.

Mismatched scales (28mm to 30mm) is often way too small a difference to be at all noticeable. But on the other hand, some manufactures have quite different 'scales' even within their own lines, some hands may be massive, whilst others are petite, for example - it seems to just depend on what looks good on any particular model. ALSO there is the whole 'heroic' vs 'normal' proportions to contend with. I really have found that just uh, yeah 'trial and error' seems to be the best method in finding matching models.

On another note, I had two models arrive from GT Studio Creations today, and sheesh they are *amazing* - truly, if you're looking for Orc models (I ordered two female Orcs), I literally couldn't recommend a better purchase.

Pauly
2018-12-19, 07:38 AM
So much great information in this thread, thanks so much guys! I'd also like to add that if you're mixing different lines together for conversion, often it's just a case of trial and error rather than simply matching the scale.

Mismatched scales (28mm to 30mm) is often way too small a difference to be at all noticeable. But on the other hand, some manufactures have quite different 'scales' even within their own lines, some hands may be massive, whilst others are petite, for example - it seems to just depend on what looks good on any particular model. ALSO there is the whole 'heroic' vs 'normal' proportions to contend with. I really have found that just uh, yeah 'trial and error' seems to be the best method in finding matching models.

On another note, I had two models arrive from GT Studio Creations today, and sheesh they are *amazing* - truly, if you're looking for Orc models (I ordered two female Orcs), I literally couldn't recommend a better purchase.

The Mirliton/Grenafier orcs are good, but their faces donkt fit well with GW.

Their barbarians are the most “Conan” figures I have ever seen, and they paint up wonderfully.

WeaselGuy
2018-12-19, 08:05 AM
(could someone please kindly tell me how to quote multiple people?, I feel dumb, but I honestly can't see how)

There's a little "+ looking icon at the bottom right, next to the "Reply with quote" button. Hit that for each post you want to multi-quote, and then for the last one you want to multi-quote, hit the "Reply with quote" button. It will have the quote syntax code for each person you selected, then just edit out the bits you don't need displayed, to make it more precise.

Talakeal
2018-12-19, 09:33 AM
I primarily use Games Workshop and Reaper.

I liked Grenedier, but it is too hard to find these days, even on ebay. Still trying to find another copy of the "female wood elf" that I used for my very first D&D character 23 years ago.

Games Workshop was pretty good, but finecast is absolute crap and their current plastics are way overpriced and simply have too many pieces. They are also getting increasingly stylized to the point where they are useless for generic fantasy, and females are still a a rarity.

Reaper is the best imo, although they are putting more and more of their effort into bones which are, while better than resin, especially finecast, are clearly inferior to metal or plastic.

Ral Partha was good, but it is out of scale with most modern miniatures and the age of most pieces makes them both fragile and hard to find.

Mierce miniatures is good, but expensive and their resin is both fragile and prone to miscasts. Same with Forgeworld.

Kingdom of death and Raging Heroes are both all right, but way overpriced, and KoD has a nasty habit of making limited edition items that are very hard to get a hold of. Their resin is still fragile, but not prone to miscasts or warping. They are also out of scale, slightly too large, and have a bit too much cheesecake even for me (and thats saying something!) to the point where using them at the table is actively distracting.

Dark sword is solid. Some of their models are a bit fragile and hard to put togeter, and they are more expensive and limited in their range than reaper, but look slightly better and are bo far more affordable and higher quality than resin models.

The prepainted 3e miniatures were good, if a bit action figury, but are getting hard to find. The modern pathfinder models have improved upon this style and are pretty good.

Overall my favorite models, atleast for generic enemies, are actually old plastic board game pieces from the likes of Heroquest, Battle Masters, Dark World, Warhammer Quest, and Dragonstrike. They are solid and durable, generic enough to be used with any game, and detailed enough. They cam fetch a high price on ebay, but there are generally plenty available.

Uncumber
2018-12-19, 09:52 AM
There's a little "+ looking icon at the bottom right, next to the "Reply with quote" button. Hit that for each post you want to multi-quote, and then for the last one you want to multi-quote, hit the "Reply with quote" button. It will have the quote syntax code for each person you selected, then just edit out the bits you don't need displayed, to make it more precise.

Has this worked? I think it's worked.. thank you SO much!!

I liked Grenedier, but it is too hard to find these days, even on ebay. Still trying to find another copy of the "female wood elf" that I used for my very first D&D character 23 years ago.

Games Workshop was pretty good, but finecast is absolute crap and their current plastics are way overpriced and simply have too many pieces. They are also getting increasingly stylized to the point where they are useless for generic fantasy, and females are still a a rarity.

Reaper is the best imo, although they are putting more and more of their effort into bones which are, while better than resin, especially finecast, are clearly inferior to metal or plastic.

Ral Partha was good, but it is out of scale with most modern miniatures and the age of most pieces makes them both fragile and hard to find.

Mierce miniatures is good, but expensive and their resin is both fragile and prone to miscasts. Same with Forgeworld.

Kingdom of death and Raging Heroes are both all right, but way overpriced, and KoD has a nasty habit of making limited edition items that are very hard to get a hold of. Their resin is still fragile, but not prone to miscasts or warping. They are also out of scale, slightly too large, and have a bit too much cheesecake even for me (and thats saying something!) to the point where using them at the table is actively distracting.

Dark sword is solid. Some of their models are a bit fragile and hard to put togeter, and they are more expensive and limited in their range than reaper, but look slightly better and are bo far more affordable and higher quality than resin models.

The prepainted 3e miniatures were good, if a bit action figury, but are getting hard to find. The modern pathfinder models have improved upon this style and are pretty good.

Overall my favorite models, atleast for generic enemies, are actually old plastic board game pieces from the likes of Heroquest, Battle Masters, Dark World, Warhammer Quest, and Dragonstrike. They are solid and durable, generic enough to be used with any game, and detailed enough. They cam fetch a high price on ebay, but there are generally plenty available.

Wow, I haven't heard of a lot of the ones you've mentioned here - time to do some research!

I also completely agree with you about the price of Kingdom Death (and Raging heroes to some extent) - having said that though, the whole market is generally just absurdly overpriced for what you're actually getting. My dad came over the other day and was flabbergasted when I told him the price of a 30mm plastic model, and that wasn't even a 'very expensive' one.

But at least with Kingdom Death, and similar ones, I do believe you are getting really top quality (even if it is overpriced). I completely agree that, what, 80% of their miniatures I'd never use - but some of them are just spectacularly well designed.

Lastly, speaking just for myself here, if I'm buying a model for my D&D player character, then honestly I'd prefer to spend a bunch on it and have it really, really nice - after all, even the most expensive single model is pretty much nothing compared to starting an army in a wargame, or building a deck in a trading card game, etc etc. - it's hardly as if D&D asks you to spend a lot, so I'm happy to fork out for something special.

I'm going to check out all those manufacturers you posted that I haven't heard of!

Pauly
2018-12-19, 07:18 PM

Try here
http://www.mirliton.it/index.php?cName=fantasy-2528mm-wood-elves
I think they have called her “Diadra”

Talakeal
2018-12-20, 09:18 AM
Try here
http://www.mirliton.it/index.php?cName=fantasy-2528mm-wood-elves
I think they have called her “Diadra”

Nah, that isnt her, she had a bow. Honestly I am not positive it even was Grenedier, it was a long time ago and my memory might be playing tricks on me.

But still, thank you very much for the link! I have been looking for someone with a wide selection of Grenedier models for a long time.

Zanthy1
2018-12-20, 10:06 AM
Personally I like the Icons of the Realm set from Wizards of the Coast. They're plastic, and pre-painted, but don't break often and are nice. I am really a big fan of their new Ravnica line, cause I love having a mini of Tajic and Krenko

Pauly
2018-12-20, 07:41 PM
Nah, that isnt her, she had a bow. Honestly I am not positive it even was Grenedier, it was a long time ago and my memory might be playing tricks on me.

But still, thank you very much for the link! I have been looking for someone with a wide selection of Grenedier models for a long time.

It might have been an early GW figure. Before they started with the overdetailing. I’m old enough to remember when even Chaos warrior sculpts weren’t covered in skulls, they used to be just guys in spiky armor with horned helmets.

Imbalance
2018-12-21, 08:54 AM
Personally I like the Icons of the Realm set from Wizards of the Coast. They're plastic, and pre-painted, but don't break often and are nice. I am really a big fan of their new Ravnica line, cause I love having a mini of Tajic and Krenko

I know the OP asked for best quality, so I was just curious if these would get a mention. Made by Wizkids, these really aren't bad, and I think more people would dig them if they knew they existed, though the random booster model probably isn't great for most D&D players.

I've bought scant few new minis and an eBay lot or two of old metal for D&D. I've mostly used figures from HeroClix and Mage Knight that I already have as stand-ins and found it perfectly acceptable. I know some people sneer at the notion of fielding pieces so cartoonishly out of scale, but im not inclined to spend a lot of money on a handful of really nice pieces when i can get dozens in a wide variety of sculpts for the same price.

tchntm43
2018-12-21, 10:28 AM
I took the super-cheap route and raided the Talisman box for compatible pieces. It worked out fine for our group.

Jophiel
2018-12-21, 10:57 AM
Made by Wizkids, these really aren't bad, and I think more people would dig them if they knew they existed, though the random booster model probably isn't great for most D&D players.
Speaking of Wizkids, I bought a couple of the Wardlings (https://wizkids.com/wardlings-w1/) (rogue with daggers & the ranger girl) and was really impressed with them for a prepainted figure. Nice mold and they don't look as though someone shot paint at them from across the room. Only downside is that they're a little too large to pass as a halfling as I had hoped but they'd make a passable elf or half-elf. Note that I intentionally bought the couple where most of their head/face was covered as the others look more childish (as intended).

I've mostly used figures from HeroClix and Mage Knight that I already have as stand-ins and found it perfectly acceptable. [... I'm] not inclined to spend a lot of money on a handful of really nice pieces when i can get dozens in a wide variety of sculpts for the same price.
I bought up a bunch of the M:tG Arena of the Planeswalkers games and expansions when they were dirt cheap and use them for various things. Not amazing but for around 25¢ a pop, you can't argue with them. If anything, I probably overbought but if you ever need fifteen Rhino Dudes on your table, now you know who to call :smallwink:

Particle_Man
2018-12-21, 02:29 PM
As another option, I suggest lego for figurines. If you have enough of them, you can mix and match and get pretty close to any pc or npc you need. Maybe better for numerous short campaigns than one long one, or for campaigns where death is frequent than ones where a character lasts a long time, though.

Talakeal
2018-12-21, 06:47 PM
Hasslefree miniatures is also pretty good imo.

It might have been an early GW figure. Before they started with the overdetailing. I’m old enough to remember when even Chaos warrior sculpts weren’t covered in skulls, they used to be just guys in spiky armor with horned helmets.

Wasn't GW. I was already playing Warhammer by then and would have recognized the company. This figure was 15mm scale, didnt have a slot base, and was female.

It was a similar to a partha model, but it wasnt partha.

Edit: I think I found it (https://www.google.com/search?biw=1829&bih=1029&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=j34dXK3uCovAjwS5_JyoBA&q=female%20wood%20elf%20miniature&oq=female%20wood%20elf%20miniature&gs_l=img.3..0i8i30j0i24.28686.29558..29792...0.0.. 0.60.281.5......0....1..gws-wiz-img.-7NnRpJpvlY&fbclid=IwAR0qcSbPbWj7lBMTIvcc4o8w6eGD8H9N0RKgeVLcN IiCEqWZJ-bG4bVi0MM#imgrc=qajBzeRcPp-zpM:&spf=1545436846178). Arduin apparently. Anyone know where to get my hands on some of these?

Sudsboy
2018-12-22, 03:47 PM
Lots of good suggestions here. Personally, I think Dark Sword and Reaper are the two most useful, as the scale of the minis is compatible and they don't produce "over the top" styled minis.

The old Rackham Confrontation models were some of the most beautiful minis ever produced, IMO, but they are hard to find. Beware recasters selling these from Russia et al., not only is it unethical, the quality of the casting is poor.

Talakeal
2018-12-22, 05:19 PM
So what is the deal with these nozuls marvelous miniatires?

I had never heard of them until a few weeks ago, now they are literally all I can find. Al of the FLGSs in my area stopped selling all other grands to devote more shelf space to these guys.

Who makes them? What are they made of? Are they any goof?