PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Choosing new spells for level5 haxblade blade warlock PHB+XGtE

BloodSnake'sCha
2018-12-17, 03:33 AM
Hello guys :)

I just got to level 5 with my AL character and I can't choose my last spell as I never played at this level in 5e.

I am melee, useing EA+Devil Sight in order to hit most of the time(I always roll badly) and for extra crits VS bosses.

I am going with improve Pact Weapon and extra attack for the other two invocations.

My spells are:
Arms of Hadar
Hunger of Hadar
Darkness
Misty Step
Suggestion

I can have 1 more spell up to level 3.
I am thinking on:
Counter Spell
Dispell Magic
Remove Curse

What do you think I should take and why?

I use him as darkness control in combat(block enemies and give them disadvantage) and as a face out of combat.

As I just got to level 5 this is my last chance to Change the character so I am open to suggestions.

Rowan Wolf
2018-12-17, 03:49 AM
While Counterspell is a great just in case you character may not have the spell slots to use it or will be limiting other options to hold onto the chance to counter. Dispel magic has similar issues.

I would consider invisibility (benefits from scaling, utility spell) or major image (potentially used a a darkness effect that allows can see thru as well dm dependent, also utility)

Malifice
2018-12-17, 03:56 AM
Hello guys :)

I just got to level 5 with my AL character and I can't choose my last spell as I never played at this level in 5e.

I am melee, useing EA+Devil Sight in order to hit most of the time(I always roll badly) and for extra crits VS bosses.

I am going with improve Pact Weapon and extra attack for the other two invocations.

My spells are:
Arms of Hadar
Hunger of Hadar
Darkness
Misty Step
Suggestion

I can have 1 more spell up to level 3.
I am thinking on:
Counter Spell
Dispell Magic
Remove Curse

What do you think I should take and why?

I use him as darkness control in combat(block enemies and give them disadvantage) and as a face out of combat.

As I just got to level 5 this is my last chance to Change the character so I am open to suggestions.

Ditch EA, and take GWM as your feat.

Your damage output must suck at the moment. What weapon are you using? I mean, spamming Darkness is all well and good, but you want to turn those hits into decent damage.

Come back to EA at level 8.

BloodSnake'sCha
2018-12-17, 04:05 AM
While Counterspell is a great just in case you character may not have the spell slots to use it or will be limiting other options to hold onto the chance to counter. Dispel magic has similar issues.

I would consider invisibility (benefits from scaling, utility spell) or major image (potentially used a a darkness effect that allows can see thru as well dm dependent, also utility)

I will take your advice and remove CounterSpell from the list.
Dispel Magic can have down time use(making it auto success with short rests) so I can dispel some stuff (I didn't play a lot of mudoles so I don't know if I will have a reason for it in AL).

Invisibility is on the table because I can't always talk my way.

I do love the Image spells(I have the cantrip) but they are to situational and I won't have the ability to inform my party members that I casted an illusion without telling the enemies that it is an illusion.
(The cantrip one is enough and I will take the Invocation one when I will have a free invocation slot).

Thank you for your help.

Ditch EA, and take GWM as your feat.

Your damage output must suck at the moment. What weapon are you using? I mean, spamming Darkness is all well and good, but you want to turn those hits into decent damage.

Come back to EA at level 8.

But my 18 cha :(

And my damage is ok and I stall the combat(enemies have hard time hitting my and I can hit them pretty good).

I also roll badly(but only for attacks, my damage rolls are good), I will like to hit something(I have the ability to miss 8 AC with +7 to hit and 3 rolls of a d20 multiple times in a combat with a different dice from another group members every roll).

I am using a longsword(or any other different damage type d8 one handed weapon) and a shield, or a longbow.

Can you explain it to my why do you think I need to change it?

BloodSnake'sCha
2018-12-17, 04:29 AM
Opps, I will report it

Keravath
2018-12-17, 11:23 AM
A couple of additional ideas ...

For maximum damage potential :)
- variant human with Polearm master at level 1
- take GWM at level 4
- use darkness+devils sight for advantage
- use a glaive/halberd for the 10' reach

EA is nice when you can generate advantage though.

If you stick with EA you will want GWM at level 8.

You may also want resilient constitution since when you are fighting in melee range you will be hit and without constitution saves your spells will drop. An alternate build would be variant human with resilient con at 1 and GWM or PAM at 4.

As for spells, it would be a good idea to have hex. It is iconic for a warlock and when combined with thirsting blade and possibly polearm master can increase the overall damage done in a combat round. This can be useful for enemies that can either see through darkness or ignore it.

Another good spell to have is fly. 60' of flying movement combined with a 10' reach polearm means you can swoop in and attack and step back as needed ... also good against flying targets if you need to get into melee range.

I would tend to leave dispel magic, counterspell and remove curse to other casters since you just don't have enough spell slots to make them efficient. If you are the only caster then you might need them but most of the time I'd tend to leave them to someone else in the party.

As an example, my spell choices at 5th level for a similar character concept are:
hex
darkness
mirror image
misty step
blink
fly

Blink and mirror image are not concentration. Fly and misty step are utility and escape. Darkness and hex are combat. Since there are only two spells/short rest ... you need to maximize what you can use them for.

For example, arms of hadar does some damage to creatures within 10' and if they fail their save they lose their reaction. Use is situational since it will affect your party members as well. It is useful if you get surrounded in melee since you might avoid op attacks and the damage scales. On the other hand, you probably have darkness running (down 1 spell slot) and may be trying to hold on to the second one ... so I don't see that much use for this one. Personally, I would put hunger of hadar in the same category ... but the spells might be thematic to your build so you might have other reasons to have them.

Suggestion is a good pick with good in and out of combat applicability depending on your DM.

I've run into a few creatures with blindsight where the darkness+devils sight combination doesn't work ... so you want to have options like blink/mirror image/hex to boost your defence/offence in those cases.

Blood of Gaea
2018-12-17, 02:00 PM
I would suggest against switching EA out for GWM, save that until 8th level, the extra accuracy and crits will be more useful. Make sure you're using a greatsword or polearm to lay out more damage per hit.

For your spell slot, I would highly recommend Hold Person or Hypnotic Pattern, preferably both.