PDA

View Full Version : Tomb of Levistus and Grappling

Spankinstein
2018-12-17, 07:19 AM
Don’t know if any actual written rules regarding the interaction of ToL and grapple exist. Should the opponent take cold and/or bludgeoning damage?
My real question is what about if a fire elemental enters my space? Would the elemental take damage equal to the HP of the ToL? If I was DM I think I’d rule it this way. What say y’all?

sophontteks
2018-12-17, 07:43 AM
I'm a little confused where there would be an interaction. When you use this invocation you are incapacitated, which would break your grapple. It doesn't end any grapple effecting you, and the ability has no damage riders.

If a fire elemental enters your space the damage it deals is increased because you are vulnerable to fire in ToL.

EDIT:
I think I misunderstood what you were looking for, which are practical house rulings, so let me add to that...

I think it'd be fair to use ToL to force the grappler to make a save in order to release the grapple, and the ice would increase your total weight by quite a lot, possibly making you too heavy to be moved.

And its fair to rule that the tomb causes damage to a fire elemental like you stated.

Spankinstein
2018-12-17, 10:02 AM
Thanks. Have a campaign ending battle looming and need a miracle.

RSP
2018-12-17, 10:05 PM
Don’t know if any actual written rules regarding the interaction of ToL and grapple exist. Should the opponent take cold and/or bludgeoning damage?
My real question is what about if a fire elemental enters my space? Would the elemental take damage equal to the HP of the ToL? If I was DM I think I’d rule it this way. What say y’all?

No RAW regarding this: it’ll fully be in the hands of the DM. Personally, I think it should have some sort of effect on a grapple, however, you’re getting into a big grey area that will lead to abuse, in my opinion, as clearly something is touching you when you get hit by a melee weapon attack, so if the freezing is instant when the damage occurs, wouldn’t whatever caused the damage be trapped in the ice? This would be one reason why a DM may just play it straight with no additional effects.

Spankinstein
2018-12-18, 07:22 AM
Thanks. Another question. When a creature enters another’s space, such as a fire elemental entering my characters space. Is it engulfing me, or simply sharing the same space and merely touching me?

JackPhoenix
2018-12-18, 07:40 AM
Thanks. Another question. When a creature enters another’s space, such as a fire elemental entering my characters space. Is it engulfing me, or simply sharing the same space and merely touching me?

It's sharing your space, there's nothing about engulfing you.

Spankinstein
2018-12-18, 09:04 AM
Oh well. There goes that strategy.

RSP
2018-12-18, 11:57 AM

RAW enemies can’t share a space, so I’m not sure what you’re going for with this. Is the fire elemental an ally?

“...you can move through a hostile creature’s space only if the creature is at least two sizes larger or smaller than you.”

Spankinstein
2018-12-18, 12:14 PM
I thought a fire elemental could enter an opponents space. My bad.

JackPhoenix
2018-12-18, 02:05 PM
RAW enemies can’t share a space, so I’m not sure what you’re going for with this. Is the fire elemental an ally?

“...you can move through a hostile creature’s space only if the creature is at least two sizes larger or smaller than you.”

I've made the same mistake when I first replied to that question, then I've actually looked at fire elemental's stat block and noticed it's got an exception.

I thought a fire elemental could enter an opponents space. My bad.

It can. Specific beats general, and fire elemental's Fire Form specifically allows it to sharing the space with other creatures.

RSP
2018-12-18, 03:58 PM
I've made the same mistake when I first replied to that question, then I've actually looked at fire elemental's stat block and noticed it's got an exception.

It can. Specific beats general, and fire elemental's Fire Form specifically allows it to sharing the space with other creatures.

Thanks for pointing that out, Jack.

So it’ll depend on how your DM envisions ToL’s “entombing.” Maybe ask them before the next session how they visualize it: is it just that your character’s body is covered in ice, or is it more they’re in a 5’x5’ ice cube. Entomb, to me, is the latter, but they’ll obviously be the authority that matters.

Spankinstein
2018-12-18, 08:49 PM
Thanks for the replies.