PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Sorlock Patron Help

Ihazturtlez
2018-12-17, 08:45 AM
In my most recent post, I had asked for assistance in creating the best Sorcerer MC possible, and have decided to go the Sorlock route because the story will be best fitted for it. We will be starting at level 3, so I will be Sorcerer 2, Warlock 1. I am going Stone Soul Sorcerer, but I need help picking a patron for warlock when I get there. What patron would help my skill set out the most? What pact?

I will most likely be buff/control instead of just outright damage. We will probably stop near level 8.

Vogie
2018-12-17, 09:24 AM
You already have a higher AC and can hold shields as a Stone Sorc, so hexblade isn't as valueable as it would be normally.

Stone sorc contains a lot of smite spells, so you're likely going bladelock. Fiend is the next best melee patron, followed by the much more control-y Archfey.

If you're going a more of a support-y build, the free heals and access to Cure wounds from Celestial patron would work.

Master O'Laughs
2018-12-17, 10:51 AM
Hexblade still holds value as you will be completely CON and CHA dependent. 1 to boost your defenses and the other to boost offense. That is if you want to go Pact of the Blade to gish it up. If you just want to be a blaster than any could work, though Hexblade's Curse is still decent for non-concentration damage boost.

Man_Over_Game
2018-12-17, 11:16 AM
Archfey has lots of melee range burst effects that don't scale off of Warlock level and use Charisma. Combined with your level 6 Sorcerer Teleport ability, you'll have lots of chances to use this. Generally better in larger teams.

Undying makes you slightly tankier and lets you revive a player immediately after teleporting next to them when they get struck. Also, if you go to level 6, you get a Second Wind effect that scales with Constitution (as does your Sorcerer armor).

Fiend gets you those temporary hitpoints that are great for a melee caster. Generally better in smaller teams.

Ihazturtlez
2018-12-17, 12:41 PM
Archfey has lots of melee range burst effects that don't scale off of Warlock level and use Charisma. Combined with your level 6 Sorcerer Teleport ability, you'll have lots of chances to use this. Generally better in larger teams.

Undying makes you slightly tankier and lets you revive a player immediately after teleporting next to them when they get struck. Also, if you go to level 6, you get a Second Wind effect that scales with Constitution (as does your Sorcerer armor).

Fiend gets you those temporary hitpoints that are great for a melee caster. Generally better in smaller teams.

I was thinking of Hexblade so I can use it to attack as well, and thats how I used my point buy. 10/12/16/10/9/17 is my level 1 spread.

Nhorianscum
2018-12-17, 01:26 PM
I was thinking of Hexblade so I can use it to attack as well, and thats how I used my point buy. 10/12/16/10/9/17 is my level 1 spread.

That spread seems more RP and elven-acc funtimes focused than full char-op. Not criticizing just commenting. (Deconstructing this race is half elf?)

Hex/Stone works but you'll run into issues with both casting and using a weapon + shield without warcaster here due to the limitations of hexblades level1-SAD. Namely we cannot carry a spare blade or two and drop-cast, we also need to have our blade out to use hex warrior for cha-to-hit on our reaction. SAD still works it's just an optimized play hassle without VHuman.

An 8/16/16/8/8/17 build nets us -1 to hit in mele at level 5-8 with none of the no-warcaster insanity Just draw and drop rapiers as needed, at a weight of 2 and a cheap cost we're not worried about unboosted rapiers.

(IE With decent dex: round 1, drop stoneward on ally, cast thing, draw, round 2 and 3, drop, cast, draw. It's wonky as hell but works. With reliance on hex warrior this becomes an excercise in annoyance as some mook kicks away our SAD for the encounter, steals it for the day, or we lose spell/telefrag economy)

Assuming this spread hexblade is still a viable partron for our slight spell boost (shield + hex at first level, dunno if you're going for EB) and hexcurse is a viable damage boost over our other pacts.

Undying is what we use in an undead campain. Celestial gives us a not-a-spell healing word is two, fey gives us a mostly redundant with drow-magic/wrathful smite fear effect, GOO is awakened mind and some solid control, fiend is eeeeh.

I'd say undying if undead heavy, hexblade for damage or if you want to eskew quicken, GOO if you take subtle spell.

If the spread listed is the one you're stuck with or just the one you really want, yeah, hexblade all the way. Ask your DM to handwave VSM here or change origin or drop the shield to make this tolerable.

Worth noting as well. 14 dex and a breastplate nets 18+dexmod AC, higher than 13+3+2 from origin.